So wait... There really are female record collectors who blog in bikini's?

Comments

• day said:

Bringing it full circle...

WHOA WHOA WHOA

i had no idea that was the same woman from the bikini record blog! i'm thinking should start doing the bikini record pics on her blog using ISO 400-800 film. i think she looks way more human that way.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    I don't get what all the excessive fuss is about. Whether the blog is written by a man/woman or how much names get dropped etc.

The content is good. I find the writing, topics and ideas funny, entertaining and informative without getting too serious or 'I-hold-more-raers-than-thou' ish.

IMO More people sharing their passion about their records in an engaging way is great. Who cares about the toes...... just enjoy the blog for what it is...

And if she turns out to be a human 'Mardi Gras with no bells' then thats fine too....

On a side note... I know heaps of females with a passion for digging/collecting/music....

Nobody really cares about that stuff, it's just how Soul Strut does...and what makes it maddeningly fun here. Cmon son, you've been here for more than a minute - you know this!

I know heaps of women who are passionate about music, too, but I do not know heaps who purchase records only after rent/mortgage and food or whose eyes aren't rolling into the back of their heads as their BFs andf friends get into yelling matches about how good a rapper Raekwon is, hence, missing the turnover from 2012 into 2013.
    Wait. What?

Yea, good blog. Needs a pedi.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:
    LokoOne said:
    I don't get what all the excessive fuss is about. Whether the blog is written by a man/woman or how much names get dropped etc.

The content is good. I find the writing, topics and ideas funny, entertaining and informative without getting too serious or 'I-hold-more-raers-than-thou' ish.

IMO More people sharing their passion about their records in an engaging way is great. Who cares about the toes...... just enjoy the blog for what it is...

And if she turns out to be a human 'Mardi Gras with no bells' then thats fine too....

On a side note... I know heaps of females with a passion for digging/collecting/music....

Nobody really cares about that stuff, it's just how Soul Strut does...and what makes it maddeningly fun here. Cmon son, you've been here for more than a minute - you know this!

I know heaps of women who are passionate about music, too, but I do not know heaps who purchase records only after rent/mortgage and food or whose eyes aren't rolling into the back of their heads as their BFs andf friends get into yelling matches about how good a rapper Raekwon is, hence, missing the turnover from 2012 into 2013.
    Wait. What?

that blog won't be interesting until she incorporates her shoes into the record flossing.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    LokoOne said:

Wait. What?

To paraphrase Treme

"Soul Strut diggers will fuck up a wet dream" ;)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    james said:
    day said:
    mannybolone said:
    Hoarding and collecting aren't quite the same thing even if they fall on the same spectrum.

But yeah, I thought it was beyond question that record collecting is a "male interest.".

I did an interview a couple weeks ago and was asked "why is record collecting/digging such a male dominated thing?". I'm interested in hearing what you guys think the reason is.
    I think it's because music is ephemeral and abstract, and this runs counter to the male tendency toward preservation and measurement. In record collecting, though, we see music--this abstract and ephemeral thing--made archiveable (by virtue of its media) and quantifiable (by its acquirability). I think men are more likely than women to equate "having and holding" with "understanding," so they pursue records--artifacts of the comforting conversion of the slippery That Which I Cannot Touch into the more literal That Which I Can Take Home And Put On My Shelf--a little more desperately.

It's been my experience that women who are way into records still mostly want to talk about music, where dudes who are way into records mostly just wanna talk about fucking records.

Broadly:

Q: "Hey, woman who really likes music: Do you like Artist X?"

A: "Yes! I like Song A and Thing B but not Aspect C and..."

vs.

Q: "Hey, man who really likes music: Do you like Artist X?"

A: "Yes! I have all their records! I have Early LP A and Rare EP B and mp3s of
    Album C and..."

Men dominate a lot of crazy collector scenes - maybe they're just more acquisitive not less emotionally responsive. Ignoring that thin slick of vinyl collectro nuts who are all about the artefact and not the art, record collecting isn't something you could sustain for long if the music wasn't your real motive behind it all. I think men just like collecting, whether it's records, orchids, books, koi, or paintings.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    I think men just like collecting, whether it's records, orchids, books, koi, or paintings.

The Hunter/Gatherer instinct. As in, (indicates some arbitrary Ikea unit rammed like a rainy Tokyo rush-hour) "Gather that."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Or, my dad. Grew up in the war, turned into...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    day said:
    mannybolone said:
    Hoarding and collecting aren't quite the same thing even if they fall on the same spectrum.

But yeah, I thought it was beyond question that record collecting is a "male interest.".

I did an interview a couple weeks ago and was asked "why is record collecting/digging such a male dominated thing?". I'm interested in hearing what you guys think the reason is.

This was covered on page 4.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Or, my dad. Grew up in the war, turned into...

Mine too. House of horrors.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    as someone who just caught up on this thread in the span of about 20 minutes, this has been a real roller-coaster of emotions. I give this thread a 7 out of 10, only due to a lack of animated gifs and the fact that the thread's main subject has yet to grace it with her presence.

in regard to the two main questions at hand: I have no doubt that she is a woman. Given that she lives in LA, her looks are not surprising. I have many nerdy lady friends who moved out there over the years and they all slowly adopted the grooming habits of that city. They now post pictures of themselves with extremely sculpted eyebrows, well done hair, and clothes that accentuate their bodies in pleasant ways. Don't know about the toes, maybe she has an aversion to Vietnamese women? I could do without her writing style though, it's like the tumblr-rap of record blogging.

as for collecting being some kind of male trait, that's complete bullshit. If anything it's something that's passed down thru generations, the only thing changing being the object of the hoarding obsession. My grandma collected crystal bowls and things of that nature, my mother collects native american art, my aunt collects nutcrackers and cookie jars. I had friends in high school who collected action figures and comic books, but it was clear from visiting their houses that their parents also had some sort of pack-rat thing going. It may be that the records bidness is more male-dominated because it seems like it grew out of other male-dominated fields, like baseball cards and comic books. Or maybe it just looks like a guy thing to crusty dudes who frequent too many record fairs. At least the digging thing is more male oriented, what with it being a game of one-upmanship that guys like to get into. But from going to record stores in New York over the past 10 years, there has been a definite shift, with a lot more girls getting into record collecting recently.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    My grandma collected crystal bowls and things of that nature, my mother collects native american art, my aunt collects nutcrackers and cookie jars.

Ficking freaks

::wink::

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

Lana Del Raer (20 May 2012 02:47 PM)
    Sayer cover in a bikini.
    It's on some evolved-on-her-own-in-isolation Galapagos shit.

:killin_it:

(November 18, 2012)

She lurketh.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Dude.

DUDE.

Please to be regardful of:
    The Hips.
    The GAP OF ROHAN.

You can't surgeryify them.

The only men born with stuff like that ^^ are wo-men.

That hip to waist ratio is pretty crazy (in a good way).

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "exemplary thigh gaps"

"Thigh gap scrutiny"

can record nerds tell the difference tho?

• if i had the opportunity to ask her ONE question:

how tall are you?

• is there a statute of limitations pertaining to how long i would have to wait to start recreating HER recreations of album covers?

[id need a little time to get a tripod anyways]

this girl isn't crazy/neurotic enough to be attractive. She seems way too level headed. And those are the dangerous ones. She keeps her neuroses so deeply hidden that when they don't sublimate via record shopping, you don't know what can happen.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    edith head said:
    i'm thinking should start doing the bikini record pics

• She better watch out, record collecting is a cut-throat business.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She's a delicate soul with the normal girl issues--maybe a little more.

• seems nice. i can't wait to see her recreate rage against the machine's first album cover.

• Hey, so, I found a used SPEEDO at the Goodwill this weekend and I'm thinking about starting a blog.
    Photos of me in the Speedo + Talking about the records I own.

YAY or NAY?

TheKindCromang said:
    Hey, so, I found a used SPEEDO at the Goodwill this weekend and I'm thinking about starting a blog.

YAY or NAY?

don't forget the cover recreations!

• ppadilha said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Hey, so, I found a used SPEEDO at the Goodwill this weekend and I'm thinking about starting a blog.

YAY or NAY?

don't forget the cover recreations!

This one will be my first post!

:hard_as_fuck:

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    ppadilha said:

She's alright, maybe a little annoying but i'm sure you'd all annoy the shit of me too if i saw a youtube interview with you. Hell, i'd probably annoy me. I like what she said about Kendrick and The Doors.

• I like her. I'll definitely say hi if I see her around. I love the part where she hugs the records. So pathetically cute and creepy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Talking about the records I own+ Photos of me in the Speedo

:hard_as_fuck:

Is that right? Excellent marketing!