So wait... There really are female record collectors who blog in bikini's?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Duderonomy said:
    If I had a blog about some kind of female interest/hobby (??? suggestions folks)

Is record collecting a "male interest/hobby"?

lmho

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    jaysus said:
    Have any of you dudes ever been on a date?

And being married doesn't count.

Ha!

• bassie said:
    disco_che said:
    Duderonomy said:
    If I had a blog about some kind of female interest/hobby (??? suggestions folks)

lmho

don't men make up the majority of most hobbies that involve collecting?

anecdotally or scientifically?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Duderonomy said:
    If I had a blog about some kind of female interest/hobby (??? suggestions folks), and opened myself up to ridicule by poasting pix of myself trying to look manly, I'm not sure I'd join a forum where girls had been discussing my elbows instead of my espadrille game.

Does she have heat (of the record variety)?
    Her hip-hop doll collection is better than mine.

Almond, Bassie, AKAllDay vs every other Strutter would suggest that it is. Record stores, record fairs, nerdery in general is male dominated; they say that on a personality spectrum that has 'female' at one end and 'male' at the other, autism is just past the extreme end of the male spectrum. Hence engineers, trainspotters and other systemising activities are dominated by men... collecting and filing those records is quite definitely a male behaviour.

Borat/Ali G's brother (I shit you not) has done a lot of research into this. Just found an article online about it here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2003/apr/17/research.highereducation

I thought the "female interest/hobby" part was funnier.

I know as many dudes as gals with shoes, comic books, books and plastic figures collections.

What about hoarding? Where does that fall in the collector gender spectrum?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hoarding and collecting aren't quite the same thing even if they fall on the same spectrum.

But yeah, I thought it was beyond question that record collecting is a "male interest.".

Duderonomy said:

About the babies part....does it take into consideration that female and male babies are handled totally differently from the moment they pop out, and the impact that has on behaviour?
    That whole nature/nurture thing.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    bassie said:
    I thought the "female interest/hobby" part was funnier.

I know as many dudes as gals with shoes, comic books, books and plastic figures collections.

What about hoarding? Where does that fall in the collector gender spectrum?

It's all about being anal. Girls can be anal too. How hoarding fits in, well...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    leon said:
    Girls can be anal too

:oh_my:

And guys can be immature.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Skeletons in closets: girls got that one on lock.

Almond said:
    bassie said:
    superb mouth but her toenails are revolting

I thought exactly the same thing! I forgive the Nicki Minaj lipstick, but girly, leave those toes to the pedicurist. I like the blog, though. And it goes years back, which is a pretty long time to keep up a blog.

If I knew how to discuss music, I'd totally start a music and nail polish blog.

If you can express what it is you like about what you hear, how it makes you feel, what it reminds you of, comment on the artwork, read the notes and play connect the dots with the musicians, producers, composers and engineers....you know how to discuss music. Not that you have to do any or all of those things.
    Half the blogs I look at just post what they like with no words whatsoever - much less discussion. That works, too.

If you want to, just start one. Get your toes done first though.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    button said:
    How could someone who has plowed years of energy into exhaustively showing the internet their VG dollar-bin 70s records not, by sheer laws of physics, found their way to Soulstrut yet?

I have plenty of music friends who know a ton about music, but have absolutely no idea what soulstrut is. Record diggers, musicians, Djs, Artists.. I've had a few ex-girlfriends who very easily could've made this blog.

But they didn't. Knowing a lot about music is one thing. Actualy blogging 5000 words on a Vanilla Fudge LP and posting scantly clad selfies flashing your Philly Int'l heat is something entirely different. The niche of her interests, in addition to the sheer levels of narcissism involved here, would have made it physically impossible not to be gravitationally pulled into the Soulstrut, like a malfunctioning satellite crashing into earth. Thus she cannot be real.

AAAAAHHHHHHGGGGG - I want to believe!
    Bring her to meeeeeee.

Speaking of vanilla fudge, yesterday I picked up some of the best tasting halva I've ever had.

Halva cooking on the stove is a childhood smell I will not soon forget.

That's gotta be great. I've heard that smell is the most vivid of all your senses when it comes to memories. I think this stuff I've been getting is homemade too. Its from this Palestinian deli by my work. Is it easy to make?

Yea, fairly. You do have to stand over the stove with it non-stop though.
    The Iranian type is not like the Palestinian type which is sesame-based. Ours is dark brown and heavy on the saffron and rosewater.

nice, i need that recipe!

It's actually a pretty straight-forward recipe. Check online for Iranian or Persian halva.

But if you prefer the white (tahini-based) kind, search Palestinian/Lebanese/Israeli instead.

Indian halwa is damn delicious, too. So sweet it hurts the teeth level of delicious!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    BOOKMARKING IT WHEN I GO HOME.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    button said:
    SPlDEY said:
    button said:
    How could someone who has plowed years of energy into exhaustively showing the internet their VG dollar-bin 70s records not, by sheer laws of physics, found their way to Soulstrut yet?

I have plenty of music friends who know a ton about music, but have absolutely no idea what soulstrut is. Record diggers, musicians, Djs, Artists.. I've had a few ex-girlfriends who very easily could've made this blog.

But they didn't. Knowing a lot about music is one thing. Actualy blogging 5000 words on a Vanilla Fudge LP and posting scantly clad selfies flashing your Philly Int'l heat is something entirely different. The niche of her interests, in addition to the sheer levels of narcissism involved here, would have made it physically impossible not to be gravitationally pulled into the Soulstrut, like a malfunctioning satellite crashing into earth. Thus she cannot be real.

button, well put.

b/w

indian halwa is awesome!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    This girl has always existed in digger's collective imaginations. Now it's like "if I just dig a little deeper, a little longer and a little harder, I'll find her"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I don't know her personally, but this chick lives in LA and is genuinely into what she blogs about. I hollered at her on dating site nerve.com about 3 years ago because her profile was all about record-digging and oldschool hiphop, she seemed pretty cool. I got turned down because (among other reasons, I'm sure) I said I wasn't all that into Nas and she said that was a dealbreaker. Her reply email was actually pretty witty. I forgot about her entirely until about 2 months ago when I saw her shopping at Beat Swap Meet in Chinatown, and now this thread. Kinda surprised no LA heads know her. Oh wait, just saw PatrickCrazy's post, never mind.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I said I wasn't all that into Nas and she said that was a dealbreaker.

how much did she want you to be into nas???

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    SIRUS said:

how much did she want you to be into nas???

ahahahahahaa

I'm so completely thrown by how much hotter she is than is necessary. I guess it's silly to assume her dream guy is a record nerd to begin with, but whatever.
    I can just imagine the vibe when she walks into a record store. Dudes must just start shaking. Nervous eyes darting around.

Please get her here.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    lol, the New Narcissism and New Voyeurism collide.

fuckit I'm trying twitter.
    this is the 90s, everything happens on twitter, right?

The panting is getting weird. I am beginning to understand why she may not want on the Enterprise.

I got 20 bucks says she already has a username