ENGLAND

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:

This is new. Something quite unlike what has happened before, and it actually makes the whole situation quite scary.

I agree. Although it seems like the 80s all over again, this is probably more like the 80s Sci Fi movie version of the early 21st century. I was never a big fan of films like Robocop and the like when they came out, but I am getting more convinced they will predict the future better than any social media buzz tracking.

I mean look at this double speak logo that rotates behind head copper every time he gives a press conf... what a sick joke.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:

I agree. Although it seems like the 80s all over again, this is probably more like the 80s Sci Fi movie version of the early 21st century. I was never a big fan of films like Robocop and the like when they came out, but I am getting more convinced they will predict the future better than any social media buzz tracking.

For the last decade - since 9/11 - the world and what happens more or less has the aesthetic looks of a bad B-movie from the early 80's imho.

• Do the police not have tear gas to fire into these crowds of scumbags??

anyone else see the pics of the Sony Distribution Center in Enfield? Burned to the ground, a whole distribution center, not just a store.....3 dudes on bikes apparently, robbed as much shit as they could & torched the place.

16000 police on the streets on London tonight, should make for some interesting TV

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Although it seems like the 80s all over again, this is probably more like the 80s Sci Fi movie version of the early 21st century.

Rowdy Roddy Piper FTW. I mean, John Carpenter.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:

For the last decade - since 9/11 - the world and what happens more or less has the aesthetic looks of a bad B-movie from the early 80's imho.

Totally...... we all know how they end, leaving a smoldering city on Harley with a hot chick in tow in search of fresh pastures to re-start the human race. And yet here we all are still paying our mortgages and student loans and shit! It's not gonna be worth it!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    But they are the end-product of capitalism writ large.[/i].

I'd say they are more the end product of all that multi-culti bullshit.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Britain imported West Indian Labor in order to have better street festivals?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

does it bother you that you have LPs of brown people in your house? I mean you should listen to pasty ass Europeans' music, because it is that multi-culti bullshit causing the problems...you even have a website dedicated to the music of the browns...hypocritcal racist douchebag. True, it is the brown people of a different continent, but still. Im sure you live close to some brown people...you are very brave person, living so close and listening to brown people. Watch out, don't let them get the brown on you.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Britain imported West Indian Labor in order to have better street festivals?

Nah, our govmnt decided that all that cheap public transport they'd set up, i.e. railways, was actually hindering our society's efforts to become properly capitalist like America. Car production was low because the demand was too. So they dismantled the non-arterial train lines and started building motorways and car factories for the good of the economy. Capitalism again.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nandos-Defence-League-NDL/214750535219798

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Incredible.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Man fuck that newscaster. Some real Fox news type impartiality.

does it bother you that you have LPs of brown people in your house? I mean you should listen to pasty ass Europeans' music, because it is that multi-culti bullshit causing the problems...you even have a website dedicated to the music of the browns...hypocritcal racist douchebag. True, it is the brown people of a different continent, but still. Im sure you live close to some brown people...you are very brave person, living so close and listening to brown people. Watch out, don't let them get the brown on you.

So being brown entitles you to burn down the western city you live in? And if you listen to music by "brown people" and don't support the idea that they should be entitled to burn down your city at will, then you're a hypocritical douchebag. That's just assinine. And your self-righteous "brown people" bullsit too.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    And she called him Marcus Dowe at one point. Probably makes a few hundred grand a year off the taxpayer?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Do the police not have tear gas to fire into these crowds of scumbags??

Nope. Government cut the budget. Reckoned they could do it without risking violent unrest. Yeah, how's that working out for you?

anyone else see the pics of the Sony Distribution Center in Enfield? Burned to the ground, a whole distribution center, not just a store.....3 dudes on bikes apparently, robbed as much shit as they could & torched the place.

I don't know much about the specifics but pretty much every halfway decent UK indie (and a few from Europe too) is facing oblivion now. And that's that for the myth of dissent being a galvanising force for creativity.

16000 police on the streets on London tonight, should make for some interesting TV

Yeah, civil disobedience as spectator sport. What was that Sport Cazh said about 80s sci-fi movies?

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

I don't know much about the specifics but pretty much every halfway decent UK indie (and a few from Europe too) is facing oblivion now.

The warehouse wasn't insured?

DocMcCoy said:

I don't know much about the specifics but pretty much every halfway decent UK indie (and a few from Europe too) is facing oblivion now.

No chance those products would be insured?

So being brown entitles you to burn down the western city you live in? And if you listen to music by "brown people" and don't support the idea that they should be entitled to burn down your city at will, then you're a hypocritical douchebag. That's just assinine. And your self-righteous "brown people" bullsit too.

asshurt, aren't we?

you implied that having a mixed population culture-wise was a bad thing. I never claimed culture/ethnicity was a basis for being entitled to destroy a city. I was just pointing out that you think that mixing cultures in a metropolitan area was the cause for this rioting. I hit a nerve with the sabadoodoo...no jpegs of beavis and butthead, no simpsons clips...man, saba gets all serious.

ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

insured, but just for cost per unit...not retail value. So it is a loss, a CD and album costs what per unit...a few cents? No insurance for recording costs, artwork,etc...just the actual cost for producing the units.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    sakedelic said:

"This is Britain punching itself in the face. Repeatedly."

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Darcus Howe is an idiot.

-

It's fair enough that oppressed people want to rise up and voice their anger, but when your smashing up and robbing your local hairdressers, owned and run by hard working people from your own community, what message is that sending?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

You think a little indie can wear the kind of major cash flow grief they'll have to endure while waiting for an insurance claim to be settled? After last night? In the current business climate?

DocMcCoy said:
    ketan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

You think a little indie can wear the kind of major cash flow grief they'll have to endure while waiting for an insurance claim to be settled? After last night? In the current business climate?

No, I don't. I knew I was missing something out of the equation. Thanks for clarifying.

• Me and the homeys thoughts are going out to all of y'all on the isle and we wish you the best. Truly sad.

Don't know about conspiracy thoughts here. Seems quite harsh, but still possible...a friend of mine from Reading who now lives for a longer time outside the UK said it quite well imo when he summed things up like this:

"There's so many sides to this...the media blaming parents and kids, the original rioters who had a just cause, the looters & vandals looking for an excuse just to fuck things up, the local business owners that have had there shit fucked up, the police who shot the dude, the good police who are underfunded and cant cope with the situation... its just fucked, something like this has been on the cards for a while"

• Have edited my previous post for fear it read as if i didn't take the pias situation with the gravity it deserves. If the situation is 'suspicious' as authorities have stated, I hope that a full investigation is launched and the indie labels get a modicum of justice.

Sorry, I didnt mean that the small business shops in the thick of it were self burning - I was referring to the warehouse.

4YearGraduate said:
    Sorry, I didnt mean that the small business shops in the thick of it were self burning - I was referring to the warehouse.

Yeah, that's how I understood it as well. But that's still quite far stretched. Then again, maybe it's not. We all know what Hunter S. Thompson said about the music industry. Hopefully it will be all solved and documented who did what...

• ehh.. it's f-ed up regardless.

asshurt, aren't we?

you implied that having a mixed population culture-wise was a bad thing. I never claimed culture/ethnicity was a basis for being entitled to destroy a city. I was just pointing out that you think that mixing cultures in a metropolitan area was the cause for this rioting. I hit a nerve with the sabadoodoo...no jpegs of beavis and butthead, no simpsons clips...man, saba gets all serious.

It's not that the population is "mixed," its the failure to integrate people into the society they have chosen to live in, both culturally and economically. You weren't pointing anything out, you were calling me racist. And not for nothing, but bossa nova would probably be considered more closely identified with the European opressors than with the indigenous browns of Brazil anyway.