The thread where you hate on Kanye's new album

Comments

• Incredible album.

INCREDIBLE.

• Respectfully disagree.

Delusions of musical granduer on wax. First album was his best.

4/10

Your boy is taking himself a tad too serious on this album. Plus it sounds like ass back to back with that cee-lo

Dude needs a dude like JB back in his corner on the helpout

Never thought I would live to say "nicky Minaj was the redeeming verse on a record"

• Oh yeah, almost forgot -

Kanye sounds like he needs to be paying more taxes.

• As much as i think Kanye is a douche, the album is easily the best thing he's ever done. Gonna be on high rotation for a while.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I really did not care for his first album (too much fluff), the 2 after that are damn near classic in my book, i never listened to 808's, and from what i've heard so far (about half, maybe more) this album will be one of the best releases of the year. And please be serious with the talk about Nicki's verse being the saving grace on this album, i'm sure it a hyperbole on your part but honestly theres a way bigger picture here, so saying one verse was the best part of a fully realized album (wether you like it or not musically) is suspect.

• haze25 said:
    I really did not care for his first album (too much fluff), the 2 after that are damn near classic in my book, i never listened to 808's, and from what i've heard so far (about half, maybe more) this album will be one of the best releases of the year. And please be serious with the talk about Nicki's verse being the saving grace on this album, i'm sure it a hyperbole on your part but honestly theres a way bigger picture here, so saying one verse was the best part of a fully realized album (wether you like it or not musically) is suspect.

yeah, or it's not.

I'm not going to argue on grounds of personal taste - hell, I'm not going to argue. I'm not going to sit here and make an itemized critical list of what i like or don't like about the album becasue that wouldn't and shouldn't be relevant to why you like the album. We'll leave that to fans with no musical or production experience on the internet to determine that stuff.

Here's what i will say in regards to my 4/10 review that is not based on personal taste:

Kanye most likely has the means to create the wildest, most elaborate, expensive (in terms of good or known or famous session players, studios he recorded in, arrangements, etc) Rap album in the history of the art. He has not done that. I believe he thinks he has because his own verses tell the story of an egomaniac who can't understand why people don't understand him, how great he is, and how much he spent on his montealago (sp?) etc. I think Kanye believes he is creating some sort of high art musical masterpiece, which is juxtaposed with shitty Reason piano samples, previously used loops and breaks, cringeworthy moments like the whole "Kanye taught me" passage and lines like "All praise the most high (wait for it) Allah / All praise the most fly - Prada"

As a dude who works in studios and as a producer I am disapointed not only in how little he stretched out (he could have hired the whole london symphony if he had wanted to instead of using tacky string samples) but at the actual sound of the record and the lack of innovation contained there in. ANd yes i had high hopes becasue, like i said, dude has told us just how much money he has and how willing he is to spend it on stupid shit.

You should probably wait till you hear the full album on real speakers before you call it. And for that matter "fully realized album" sounds like something from a 90's press release.

Just clarifying my views, won't be on a computer all weekend, don't really care beyond this. It's all good. I'm glad this album made people happy. srrsly

• i have only heard the singles, but they come off as mad indulgent. that "toast for the douchebags" tune has one of the crappiest piano lines i have ever heard.

• Whooooo-eeeeee!

"Chain Heavy" ft Kweli and Consequence (produced by Q-Tip)

(It'd be awesome if that sample was one that Meaty sold Q-Tip.)

• I will wait until I hear the issue on a good system but I was actually pretty impressed with the sound quality - that is, compared to the G.O.O.D. Friday leaks.

But Thes is right, the Cee-Lo record is leagues better, sonically. Say what you want about the content but it's a treat for the ears on a powerful system.

• Herm said:
    Whooooo-eeeeee!

"Chain Heavy" ft Kweli and Consequence (produced by Q-Tip)

(It'd be awesome if that sample was one that Meaty sold Q-Tip.)

I am not crazy about this?

Maybe I'm missing something

Also, this:

• cookbook said:
    mannybolone said:
    In any case, I wish Ye hadn't added the RIck Ross section to "Devil in a New Dress." It was perfect the way it was before.

he ruined what Bink! did for him with all the extra instrumentation

"Devil In A New Dress" was my favorite song on the album previews (G.O.O.D. Fridays). I understand that if he was going to extend the song any further he felt the need to make it change-up. The original ended abruptly before the second where the extra instrumentation drops in now - I'll probably be hitting skip at the same spot.

"Runaway" gives you this option too, because the "let it ride" portion begins after the song could normally end.

• All of the Lights sounds like a hit.

I don't like it, but I'm sure I'll absolutely hate it in a couple months...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Perhaps this would have been more apt for the cover art?

• That bassline on "Hell Of A Life" is hard ass hell. I just wish the drums were more fiercerer.

• 10/10

• 10/10

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    :talib:

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Walter_Nagl said:
    10/10

it's an amazing album

all of the lights= EPIC

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Rhymes: Dude sounds bloated and bored.......i know this is intentional....but there's a thin line between passive and lifeless.

Beats: Materpiece

Rick Ross misses the breakaway layup.........smh.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    edpowers said:

Yeah, and too bad cause I find Ross to be one of the most exciting major rappers out in the field today. But as a whole the album really is dope. Maybe not Materpiece, but really fresh.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'm making love to tha angel of death!

Cosmo said:
    edpowers said:

Yeah, and too bad cause I find Ross to be one of the most exciting major rappers out in the field today. But as a whole the album really is dope. Maybe not Materpiece, but really fresh.

Yeah....i like Ross.......Masterpiece probably wasn't the best word... the production as a whole is just better than other rap albums i'm hearing.

b/w

Man on the moon 2 is better than expected

Cee Lo's is half great, half nonsense

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    A week later and I still think this album is fantastic. Hasn't lost any of its power from repeated plays over the last seven days. Not only is the range and imagination of the production on a different level to any other albums I've heard recently but it's an incredibly coherent listen from start to finish, don't think there's one jarring moment when the the next track doesn't flow from the one before.

I didn't really like Kanye's last actual rap album and was nearing the point of no return with him in general but, whatever my personal feeling about his level of douchery and the fact I doubt he could better this, MBDTWF makes me want him to continue to release records for years to come.

The bargain bins are littered with artists who had too much time and too much money and ended up releasing albums littered with indulgent disasters and tracks that only seem to exist to show off their famous friends. All logic tells me that this album should be added to the list and that it's probably not particularly trendy to heap plaudits on an egomaniac's latest mainstream album but something in there has just clicked perfectly and I can't help loving this album more and more each time I play it through.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Pitchfork: 10.0

I love it. I have listened to it probably 10 times.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just wanted to give Faux a nod for helping me with the lede to my NPR review that runs today.

• mannybolone said:
    Just wanted to give Faux a nod for helping me with the lede to my NPR review that runs today.

Ha ha! I was just in my kitchen, cooking dinner and listening to the news, and when the review came on, I was like - 'Hey, that quote's from Soulstrut!' Wow - I spend WAY too much time online.

Good job you all! Though I still don't like Kanye. As someone said above, the music is okay, even really good in parts, but his rapping / singing is something I've never liked.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Oh shit--he did a drop for you?