Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    two great English films

it's funny, I remember when Shirley Valentine was a new release in 1989 but it's taken until now for me to finally see it...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Got taken to see this one last night and it was the most excrutiating movie-going experience I've had to sit through since seeing Dirty Dancing on a date back in high school. If there are 10 things I hate in movies, Brazil repeatedly showcased every single one of them. And with that, I won't be going out with the woman who took me to see this monstrosity again.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In contrast, this one that I watched on VHS the other day is more my speed...

• HarveyCanal said:
    Got taken to see this one last night and it was the most excrutiating movie-going experience I've had to sit through since seeing Dirty Dancing on a date back in high school. If there are 10 things I hate in movies, Brazil repeatedly showcased every single one of them. And with that, I won't be going out with the woman who took me to see this monstrosity again.

YES!!!!!!!!!! This is a HORRIBLE movie! good lord almighty. I thought, "hey I like everyone involved in this and IMDB is full of people saying it's one of the best movies ever - let me go watch this." It was excrutiatingly boring and tough to finish. I wold have rather been repeatedly kicked in the balls than watched this.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    so now we got Heat and Brazil hate in the same thread? might be time for me to stop clickin on this one......

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    The Office track from the Brazil soundtrack is class though....

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

The vhs rip of this i found on the net is cut.
    I wouldn't of known this if i hadn't seen the clips on the documentary.
    It's an uneven film i didn't really enjoy it.

This was watchable not much to rave over.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw Brazil in theater when it came out. My friends loved it, and I wanted to.

The high points of the movie are the trucks*, the typewriters and Geoff Muldar singing the title song.

*I was living in Syracuse at the time and the road plows looked a lot like the Brazil trucks.

I enjoyed this, Pam Grier as the evil(lesbian) prison matron the titillation factor was high.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    magnetic is really chewing into the prison flicks! However, I could never really get into those women-in-prison films. If you've seen one, you have seen them all, IMHO. They are often heavy with the soundtracks, however. My autographed picture of an Uzi-wielding Gloria Hendry is one of my prized possessions. I saw 'Street Fighter' (the first of the popular Hong Kong series from the 70s, not the Raul Julia - as - M. Bison swan song from the string of video game inspired movies of the early 90s) recently. I'm surprised its in public domain, joining the ranks of other post-60s PD gems including 'Virus' (not the Jamie Lee Curtis one), 'Project: Kill' , 'Deep Red' and 'Laser Mission'. 'Educating Rita' was surprisingly engaging.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    If there are 10 things I hate in movies, Brazil repeatedly showcased every single one of them.

what are they?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    finally saw "letter from a unknown woman" - max ophuls. LOVED IT. do not watch unless you enjoy potent doses of 1940's MELODRAMA. (and tracking shots. endless, beautiful, tracking shots.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Chasing Amy

• I watched three GREAT movies the last few weeks that I caught on TCM and the MGM channel. Turner Classic shows movies uncut and in full which i wish i had known years ago. No editing or anything and tons of cool stuff in HD which aren't available in Blu Ray.

I give all of these 10 out of 10 and I didn't even really know about them. Cops and Robbers was the best surprise. Old school gritty 70's NY Heist movie.

• FunkyFlatulent said:

I absolutely love this one, easily one of my favourites from the 70s....

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Risingson said:
    FunkyFlatulent said:

Elliot Gould playing Philip Marlowe is so odd and awesome. This movie made me realize how much Robert Altman really hated Hollywood.

edith head said:
    Risingson said:
    FunkyFlatulent said:

Elliot Gould playing Philip Marlowe is so odd and awesome. This movie made me realize how much Robert Altman really hated Hollywood.

Arnold Swartzeneggar as a henchmen.

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    Danger: Diabolik

Qui ??tes vous, Polly Maggoo? (Who Are You, Polly Maggoo)

Vivre Sa Vie (My Life To Live)

The Last Days of Disco

• I just saw Cops and Robbers in on demand if you have Comcast. Everybody go watch that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Saw both of these on late night TV recently

The acting was p-h-e-n-o-m-e-n-a-l. Great pacing and didn't seem tired despite the oft-told storyline of bad boy redemption and all the archetypes. Worth watching.

I found the casting really really strange...so much so, it was a huge distraction.
    And it was garbage-y outside that.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Tahnee said:
    The Last Days of Disco

Terrible flick

• bassie said:

The acting was p-h-e-n-o-m-e-n-a-l. Great pacing and didn't seem tired despite the oft-told storyline of bad boy redemption and all the archetypes. Worth watching.

I saw this a good time ago and I liked it too. The first time I saw it I thought it was just an African equivalent of City Of God, though.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    This is one of the better Bond knockoffs ...

Also Scott Walker reeaally gets into that theme song.

• batmon said:
    Tahnee said:
    The Last Days of Disco

Terrible flick

Agree. I can only take smug, self-conscious middle class flicks for so long.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    bassie said:

I saw this a good time ago and I liked it too. The first time I saw it I thought it was just an African equivalent of City Of God, though.

That didn't come to mind at all. Can't say I would agree even now. There is a completely different mood to City of God than in this film. I think Tsotsi stands on its own.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    D.W. Griffith's "Intolerance" (in context, quite admirable even by today's standards), "Purple Noon" (as much as I like Alain Delon intrigue flicks, he wasn't a versatile actor, IMO) and "Breaking Point".

• just watched seven. still trying to make sense of this one in my mind.

peace, stein. . .

• ketan said:

Holds up after all these years.

"It's a penis stretcher, wanna try?"