Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• Escalante said:
    I have never seen One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and my girl blasted me for it so it's now on the Netflix cue. She's never seen Blazing Saddles so that's also on the list.

That's a great movie. 4 stars. I've never actually seen Blazing Saddles either.

I watched Gorky Park last night. It wasn't very good imo.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    has Statham ever done a good movie?

No.

He's as much of a guarantee that a film will be utterly shit as Gerald Butler.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

What a great film. It had been on my Netflix view it now queue for a while and was about to expire. So glad I got around to watching it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

weird flick but but good for old really dirty nyc.

• I just watched True Confessions with Robert De Niro and Robert Duvall. I didn't like this one either. Nothing really happens the whole movie. :(

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Starts off a little slow, but totally worth it for the second half.

Anna Karina is mesmerizing in every frame. I could watch her all day.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Don't know what's more amazing - the film itself or the fact that it was a total flop

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I was at a Film Festival up in Mendocino, and Les Blank was getting some type of lifetime achievement award. They played this:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I watched 7 hours straight (only watched the second half of the 10:00 film) of Jane Greer movies on TCM last night:

10:00 PM THE BIG STEAL (1949) Seduction and murder follow the theft of an Army payroll. Dir: Don Siegel Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, William Bendix. BW-71 mins

11:30 PM THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS (1951) A lady con artist sets out to steal her parole officer's fiance. Dir: John Cromwell Cast: Lizabeth Scott, Jane Greer, Dennis O'Keefe. BW-83 mins

1:00 AM STATION WEST (1948) A federal agent takes on a gang of gold thieves. Dir: Sidney Lanfield Cast: Dick Powell, Jane Greer, Agnes Moorehead. BW-80 mins

2:30 AM RUN FOR THE SUN (1956) A British traitor hunts humans in the jungles of Mexico. Dir: Roy Boulting Cast: Richard Widmark, Trevor Howard, Jane Greer. BW-99 mins

4:15 AM DESPERATE SEARCH (1953) A man fights to find his children after their plane crashes in the Canadian wilderness. Dir: Joseph Lewis Cast: Howard Keel, Jane Greer, Patricia Medina. BW-71 mins

The Company She Keeps was pretty great - a pretty hard-hitting look at the lives of female ex-cons.
    Station West was cool, too - part of that microgenre "film noir western"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Saw Vertigo (1958) on 70mm at the Castro theater. Mind-blowing.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    tabira said:
    Don't know what's more amazing - the film itself or the fact that it was a total flop

thanks for the rec, downloaded a torrent & watched this last night.

i can see how it might not have done well at the box office though--parts of it were really intense, in a way that might have been off-putting for your average american audience in '77 (take for example the passing of the burned bodies).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Reynaldo said:
    Saw Vertigo (1958) on 70mm at the Castro theater. Mind-blowing.

hitchcock = over-mentioned, under-rated.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    tabira said:

thanks for the rec, downloaded a torrent & watched this last night.

i can see how it might not have done well at the box office though--parts of it were really intense, in a way that might have been off-putting for your average american audience in '77 (take for example the passing of the burned bodies).
    Glad you liked it. I think it was the mix of Exorcist horror + French-Connection realism that was too much as you say. The misleading title raised expectations of excorcist 2 but the gritty reality and the unlikeable characters left audiences cold. Brave directing. It's the ultimate anti-buddy "road" movie.

• HarveyCanal said:

This movie is the shit. This is in my top five. Great Great movie.

I watched today.

Good movie. It's bugged seeing Connery on top of a train ducking under bridges doing his own stunts. They wouldn't let anyone do this these days. Not a chance.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've never watched Sorcerer, I think because Clouzot is a God to me and while Wages of Fear is not his best film, I can't imagine watching a remake of it.

But hey, late at night stuck in a hotel a few weeks ago I watched the Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho and actually enjoyed it on some level - it was like a stage play, with the actors reading the same lines and hitting the same spots night after night, understudies at the ready - so I may watch Sorcerer some day.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    I've never watched Sorcerer, I think because Clouzot is a God to me and while Wages of Fear is not his best film, I can't imagine watching a remake of it.

I haven't seen the original so I have no opinion, unlike this guy:

"William Friedkin's 'Sorcerer' is superior to Clouzot's 'The Wages of Fear"

"It's time the world finally recognised that 'Sorcerer', William Friedkin's remake of Clouzot's 'The Wages of Fear', starring Roy Scheider, is a seminal 70's classic and even better than the brilliant original. If you disagree you deserve to have a truck full of chemically unstable Nitro-glycerine driven through your living room (by an equally chemically unstable Lindsay Lohan)."

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    HarveyCanal said:

This movie is the shit. This is in my top five. Great Great movie.

I watched today.

Marathon Man is class, Laurence Olivier is so fuckin creepy in it......Is it safe? One of the toughest scenes in movie history to watch

I love the First Great Train Robbery, never get tired of watching, a forgotten Michael Crichton related movie......it's called The First Great Train Robbery on this side of the pond so folks don't get to thinking it's about Ronnie Biggs & co in 1963

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Finally after years hearing about these films and building them up in my mind
    Through the miracle of the net found them and viewed them last night.

I preferred The Big Doll House i found it to be more visually dynamic and stylistically shot
    but both were entertaining though,Sig Haig reminds me of Gregory Sierra in a way.
    He and Pam Grier had a nice chemistry going on in the scenes together, i now see why
    they were paired up often.

batmon said:

weird flick but but good for old really dirty nyc.

I remember seeing this at the time when Hip Hop's fascination with wearing bandanas was at it's heights(remember the sequins decorated ones lol)
    the scene with Powers Boothe explaining the significance of the different colors
    and what signal you were sending by the way they are worn, had me thinking this is really prophetic now.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts

Pretty great movie.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    ketan said:

Pretty great movie.

oddly enough, I just rewatched this, a recent Manhattan visit put me in the mood. Holds up well.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

This movie got way too complicated and hard to believe. I couldn't finish. Funny neighborhood PRs in this though.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

I revisited Colors last night. (This is not exactly apropos this thread, as I'd seen it before, albeit a long-ass time ago).

It was free on Comcast (lots of decent, free full-length, no commercials movies are On Demand).

I always remembered it as a pretty bad-ass LA cop movie.

The pieces were all there: Hopper behind the camera, Herbie on the score, Penn, Duvall, Cheadle, Wayans.

But it's kinda boring. A passable LA cop drama, but with a pretty damn corny/unrealistic story.

The casting for this was pretty funny, especially since they decided to cast this dude, as a cholo

Even in the 6th grade, it seemed a little off.

I always wondered if "Meeklo" was inspired by this guy.

Check out the break beat from the clip.

:liljohn:

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

educating rita was dope. michael caine smashes it as usual.

peace, stein. . .:)

Good thing i didn't watch those two as a double feature they were tedious to get through.
    I also watched the Machete Maidens Unleashed documentary, this is the reason for my recently piqued interest in these titles.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Jspr said:

Saw Performance this week. Been diggin these "abstract", artsy dramas lately. People praise Mick Jagger's performance in this, but I'd say James Fox more than holds his own too.

Nicolas Roeg's run from Performance through Bad Timing was stellar. Don't Look Now remains a favorite. Sadly one of those amazing 70s directors who never managed to find their place in the 80s (despite some decent work here and there).