Weekend Finds (Aug 5 - 7)

Comments

• Options

this is one of those loft/garage tracks that i could never understand.

I think Sly and Robbie play on that.

K.

• What's this?

Herman van Veen - Morgen

Dutch album that has a couple of nice breaks on the track "for ever hold your peace"

listen here

peace!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    here's a couple of things i picked up on vacation

thanks j**h on the last two...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    it's all about the Seven seas players version on the B-side..I can dig it!

i'd be interested to hear that version. the lp version is nerve racking. although i can see a coked up club goer from the 70's feelin it.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Hey, el Sparko how??s that Birth Day LP? Passed it a couple of times. Worth picking up?

- J

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i can answer that. yes its worth picking up. good album

heres the culmination of my weekend finds, all for about $15

• Hey, el Sparko how??s that Birth Day LP? Passed it a couple of times. Worth picking up?

- J

Yep, it's real nice, but i really like most things from New Birth...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    heres the culmination of my weekend finds, all for about $15

mack

how's that TTF? anything like the one from '79? fred wesley affiliation?

well ive never heard the one from '79, but this one is OK. theres two REALLY good tracks IMO, but the rest isnt too remarkable

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

A dope tune.

• $1/per

Ismael Rivera -- Vengo Por La Mancha

Mary Pacheco -- Presenting...

Cactus -- s/t

The Great Society -- Conspicuous...

Mas Damiron sabe a Merengue Vol 2.

Celia Johnny, Justo & Papo -- Recordando El Ayer

Pacheco/ Betancourt -- los Dinamicos

Chuco Avellanet -- Yo Amo de Mas

Ismael Rivera con Kako Y Orquestra -- Lo Ultimo en la Aventida

Celia and Johnny -- Tremendo Cache

Bobby Cap -- Simplemente...amor

Tito Rodriguez -- 25th Anniversary

Orquestra La Selecta -- Payaso

Sophy -- yo de aqui no me voy

Eddie (der brudders) Minnis wit Ronnie Butler --Nicole An??? Shan an???...

La Sonora Poncena -- Cavidad Criolla

NWA -- Straight Out of Compton

Mutabaruka -- Check It!

Davy D -- Have You Seen Davy 12???

Caesar Frazier -- Child of the Wind 12???

Eazy-E -- Eazy-Duz-It 12???

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    some more from the weekend.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Disco is

• Options
    More goodies from yesterday

K in Canada.

• Options
    Getting Higher is a pretty nice track. That's a Toronto rackord in case you didn't notice.....and we just posted the same "more weekend finds" post at the saem time.

Spooky, K>

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    yep one or two tracker. i did notice it was from Toronto.

found it twice in NY but never grabbed it b/c the dealer was seriously nuts and i stopped dealing with him.

• good lord A*i, that list is pure rediculousness

this is like a finds battle between Aleit and Soufriere. so fire i gotta give it to Aleit

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ok. lots of cool stories this week.these are the highlights.

this one is a rare 78 rpm from jamaica from lord fly. i also found a pretty cool brasilian 78 from dorival caymmi (who a lot of the bossa nova/brasilian pop people covered his songs-- namely tom jobim, gal costa and joao gilberto). picked it up at a flea market. the lady gave me the whole stack for 50 cents! good thing is that i got two good 78s in excellent shape (for 78s)--bad thing is-- i got a bunch of german 78s i could care less for as well!

----
    some funk, soul and garage 45s from the flea market -- 25 cents each--
    * the bonnwell music machine is lead singer from the music machine.* the ones on venture label are funky 45s. broadstreet gang is pretty good funk.*

picked up two documentary videos from the flea market. a buck each-- one is on nigerian pop music and has fela kuti, sonny okosun dressed all mod doing doughnuts on his scooter, and king sunny ade playing at a kings party (pretty crazy!), oh--- and this awesome blind guy that sings and plays music. he's like thier moondog or something.
    the other video i picked up was on the bollywood music scene. both are pretty old and dated-- but thats part of what makes it so cool. i think shenachie has these reissued onto dvd's as part of this 14 volume series that this film-maker jeremy marre did.:

from an estate sale-- a dollar. :

what excited me was the crazy packaging design. this was to some artsy short film from 1967 on rotterdam by a film maker from the netherlands. somehow they got dorris henderson to do a song -- and one side of the 7" is like her song with some found sounds and noises--almost white noise liek-- and it makes it all avant garde/weird sounding. this seems to be pretty rare.

ok-- i'm going to let the rest speak for itself---

wow! dudes are comin up!!!! nice finds dakar!!! hows that Vast Majority? and whats up with that Soul Concern?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what is Ceekay and Onike-Bush Woman about? both look cool.

• hows that Vast Majority?

I have a self-titled record by them that has some good grooves on it. Like two tracks. The rest is bad exploito-disco, or something.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That might be worst/best title of all time.

aleit -- ceekay is c.k. mann . this one is more highlife-- but i understand he did a heavier, afrobeat/funk record. this one is really nice though.
    the onike record i haven't listened to yet. i'll let you know!
    a lot of the records were from the flea-- but some were from my hook-up--who i'm going to check back with later this coming week!

haha! it may be true! but yeah--you laugh about the beef box-- but its pretty hot! and i think popsike has a version of that that went for over 400! (same label just different color i guess)

oh-- and thanks themack for the compliment.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    johnny jenkins - tonton macoute!
    liquid liquid - dig we must
    moondog s/t

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    haha! it may be true! but yeah--you laugh about the beef box-- but its pretty hot! and i think popsike has a version of that that went for over 400! (same label just different color i guess)

daaaamn

did I miss that beef box 12"

sheeeeet

I'm too tired to post finds but yeah got that Headless Heroes LP finally, lol.

• how is this? any vocoder on it? i have m.p.g. rap by them which is pretty lame except for the fact that it credits dre for additional programming or drum mixing.

• haha! it may be true! but yeah--you laugh about the beef box-- but its pretty hot! and i think popsike has a version of that that went for over 400! (same label just different color i guess)

Blue or gray label I believe. First pressing or something.