TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• just wondering, who is the biggest employer of immigrants in the uk?

despite converatives supporters usually being portrayed as anti-immigration this would seems to be at odds with the big business side of the party which would benefit hugely from cheap imported labour. would the same businesses who come out in support of cameron ever have the nerve to defend the levels of immigration on the basis that it is better for their profit margins?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Oh yeah, Olympics/London-occupancy-of-own-bubble-R.

Prison-R: If there was no crime in the old days and they want to return to Victorian values, why are all our prisons Victorian? I saw them kids in Oliver skank wallets in broad daylight and burglar Bill Sykes was as English as they come (he even had a bulldog).

That was in the good old days when you could leave your doors unlocked and the Krays only killed their own etc...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    just wondering, who is the biggest employer of immigrants in the uk?

Norfolk? Their cabbage fields and churches are chock full of Poles, and apparently the job ads state "Polish essential" and the local charvapappas won't get off the dole and down the field because they can't understand them forriners and why should I freeze me tits off for min wage, I was too cool for school, I got a 42" LCD and spliff for the week bruddah, I am sorted.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Anyone got a VPI HW-16.5 for sale?

I want one of them but not at ?550+.

Brit lurkers holler!
    Mario, you must have one. I will buy it from you for ?100. You will deliver free to my door. How quickly can you sort it out?

Discussion with Tory father in law about immigration last week:

Me: Your poster boy Norman Tebbit talmbout his dad got on his bike to look for work, that's just what immigrant population has done. Ergo, Conservatives must approve of the immigrant ethic, no?

TFIL: Yes, but not to another country.

Me: But if they weren't here, how'd you fancy paying a fiver for your Costa latte instead of the two quid you pay now?

TFIL I'd make a flask up in the morning

Me:

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Re: Gordo - whats particularly annoying is Nick Robinson's gleeful pronouncements on the whole thing (a momentous day in history etc) - I thought it was someone from Tory HQ on PM yesterday, not their Political Editor. Those Bullingdon boys stick together I suppose.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Dude.

What to say to my bro in law, who as a building worker has taken three pay cuts in the last year in light of competition from Eastern euroman and now struggles seriously with the mortgage?

You may not want to see both sides of this, but you kind of have to to have a sensible discussion about it.

Tarring folks w/ the racist brush is opposite to tarring immigrants as you stated above, but equal.

Yeah, sweeping generalisations aren't really a good look, are they? Yet it's OK when some folks make them - some real "speak truth to power" shit, even - but not when others do, which is kind of the point I'm making. That, and the whole issue of acting out of economic self-interest, which we all do, all the time.

In the last two years, I've been made redundant from one job as an indirect result of illegal downloading (seriously), and lost another as a result of the worldwide economic apocalypse that, it turns out this morning, we may not yet have dodged completely. I've pretty much lived hand-to-mouth for the last 18 months, and it's not a lot of fun. I'm as pissed off as anyone else about the state of the economy, but right now if I was offered the choice between earning less than I'd like and not earning at all, I wouldn't have to think about it. I've been in a similar position before, and I'm confident that ? depending to a large extent upon who's running the country in eight days' time ? things will come around again, as they have in the past. At least, I hope they will.

As it happens, my missus's brother is in the building trade as well. He's a roofer, and generally works on higher-end jobs, so he's not been hit quite as hard as some, but he has been affected, and he still moans about it. I'm not without sympathy, but the fault lies less with immigrants, or immigration policy, than it does with the cost of living in this country. If you were a British surgeon and you knew you could go to Bulgaria for five years to work as a plasterer or a brickie, living in a flat with 10 other lads, and earn enough cash - more than you'd earn in twenty years in your profession of choice back home - to be able to build a fucking big house on a nice patch of land for you and your family, why wouldn't you? After all, enough people from the UK were, broadly speaking, doing just such a thing during the 80s that Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais got a TV series out of it. But ultimately, none of those lads would be over here doing this work in the first place if nobody was willing to pay them. Moreover, in recent years I've had an object lesson in the difference between the respective work ethics of migrant and domestic workers.

Twice in the last three years, we've had damp problems due to flooding in the flat upstairs. First time round, a gang of four Eastern European lads turned up at nine on the dot, with an Anglo-Turkish foreman running the show. They fixed the damp in the living room, painted the ceiling and all the walls. Then they stripped the paint in the bathroom, fitted a new bath (which also involved filling in the bathroom floor where the previous bath had been sunk), painted the entire bathroom and half-tiled the walls around the bath. They also fitted a new mantlepiece in the front room. Then they cleaned up after themselves. A first class job in less than 12 hours. I was delighted to pay them. I went round to the offie mid-afternoon and bought beers for everyone. When I suggested they might want to take a break for a bevvy, one of them said "No, we work first. When we finish work, then we drink".

Compare and contrast with the aftermath of the second upstairs flood about a year ago. Not quite as bad or as widespread as before, but it's affected the kitchen this time, including the main kitchen cupboard, where the plaster inside is crumbling away and the wall needs sealing. This time it's just the one lad, about an hour and a half later than advertised. I say to him, listen, there's no need to do the whole ceiling and the other walls - just take care of the damp and repaint the damaged areas, and fix up the kitchen cupboard and that'll be fine. OK, he says. I leave him to it. A couple of hours later he says, I'm just nipping off to another job, I won't be long. Three hours later, he comes back, grabs a few things and says he'll be back tomorrow with a mate to finish up. There were paint splatters all over the living room floor, and the kitchen was covered in plaster. It took him and his mate four days ? during which time one or the other of them was usually off somewhere else - to paint and seal a kitchen cupboard and one corner of a living room. Me and the missus ended up finishing the job ourselves because on the fifth day, he never turned up at all. Guess what nationality this lad and his mate were?

So, what's the problem, really? Eastern European workers undercutting British workers, or British workers losing out due to the quality of their work? I can understand anxiety about the former, but if it's the latter, then what does that have to do with immigrants or immigration? The first of the two examples above, we ended up going for the more expensive option, because the two English lads we'd initially asked to do the job came round to scope it out and took the usual sharp intake of breath, before saying they'd call back with a quote. We never heard from them again. In the second instance, the lads we used last time had ? get this ? gone back to Poland so, largely out of desperation, we gave the job to the younger brother of my missus's brother's mate because times were tough and he needed the work. Not so much that he could be bothered to actually finish the job, mind you. This made for an awkward moment when him, me and the missus were all at a party round her brother's place about a month later, and he demanded to know why we hadn't paid him what we owed him. Awkward for him, that is.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Well, this thread took a turn for the serious.. yesterday it was all shits, giggles and some great videos.

carry on.

• Anyone got a VPI HW-16.5 for sale?

Brit lurkers holler!
    Mario, you must have one. I will buy it from you for ?100. You will deliver free to my door. How quickly can you sort it out?
    I don't have one, i'm lucky because most of the people i buy off do, so i've never really needed one.

Take all your dirty euroman funky to Revival Records and make the dudes in there work for their keep instead of ignoring customers and putting out overpriced disco 12"s.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Sorry - needed to vent, or at least explain my position in greater detail.

Anyway, I have no desire to be a birrova Billy Buzzkill up in this bith, so herewith an "amusing" video of a bewildered looking nipper being bounced around by his/her mum or dad while NWA plays in the background.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sorry - needed to vent, or at least explain my position in greater detail.

Anyway, I have no desire to be a birrova Billy Buzzkill up in this bith..

It wasn't really a criticism, and definitely wasn't directed at you, or anyone else. Just didn't want this thread to devolve into other SS political threads

I loved the reggae doc. you posted yesterday Doc, it had some great footage. But seeing record stores bitd, fills me with mixed emotions, confused between wonderment and jealousy.

I'd much rather be thinking about that than issues of immigration, that TBH, just make my head hurt.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    drinks w/ skeletor and senior, always a pleasure

right who wants a fight

Sorry M0ke for instigating the politibeef

FWIW I tend to argue against whatever everyone else is arguing for.

Nice lunch with BeatNick and Senior. We be wanting to know:

What are the chances of you dragging yo ass up here for a night out one day in summer?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Tooled up with breaks, french delights, bootlegs and belly dancers I'm a happy boy this afternoon. I do believe we need to arrange a mass meet up just so we can all agree that it was a bad idea and to never talk about that night again

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Teh gf is going to Brum on Friday the 16th of May, I could make that, or wait for a future date that will draw more heads.

The VG+ lot have that record night in a bar. Any interest?

Anyone got a VPI HW-16.5 for sale?

Brit lurkers holler!
    I don't have one, i'm lucky because most of the people i buy off do, so i've never really needed one.

Take all your dirty euroman funky to Revival Records and make the dudes in there work for their keep instead of ignoring customers and putting out overpriced disco 12"s.

I saw an ad for Revival Records in Record Collector this month so I assume it's a bit crusty?
    Never been.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sorry M0ke for instigating the politibeef

FWIW I tend to argue against whatever everyone else is arguing for.

Nice lunch with BeatNick and Senior. We be wanting to know:

What are the chances of you dragging yo ass up here for a night out one day in summer?

Depends. I'm meant to be having this operation some time in May, hopefully I'll have a bit more energy after that's all done with. At the moment, I have barely enough to get through the day. sad face. onwards and upwards.

Honestly, it'll be worth it just to hear BN talk about wonky and clownstepper

This is a list of electronic music genres, sub-genres and styles.

Ambient
    Ambient house
    Ambient techno
    Dark ambient
    Drone music
    Psybient
    Breakbeat
    Baltimore Club
    Big beat
    Broken beat
    Florida breaks
    Nu skool breaks
    Progressive breaks
    Rap
    Disco
    Cosmic disco
    Eurodance
    Euro disco
    Hi-NRG
    Italo dance
    Italo disco
    Nu-disco
    Downtempo
    Acid jazz
    Balearic Beat
    Chill out
    Dub music
    Ethnic electronica
    Glitch
    Illbient
    New Age music
    Nu jazz
    Trip hop
    Electronic music
    Berlin School
    Electroacoustic
    Electro
    Electro backbeat
    Electro-hop
    Electro-grime
    Freestyle music
    Electronica
    Electropop
    Folktronica
    Glitch
    IDM
    Nu Jazz
    Post-disco
    Trip hop
    (UK) Garage (UKG)
    2-step
    4x4
    Bassline
    Breakstep
    Dubstep
    Funky
    Grime
    Speed garage
    Hardcore/Hard dance
    Bouncy techno
    Breakbeat Hardcore
    Breakcore
    Darkcore
    Digital hardcore
    Doomcore
    Freeform
    Gabber
    Happy hardcore
    Hardstyle
    Jumpstyle
    Makina
    Noisecore
    Speedcore
    Terrorcore
    UK Hardcore
    House
    Acid house
    Boogie
    Bubblegum dance
    Chicago house
    Crack house
    Deep house
    Disco house
    Dream house
    Electro house
    Euro house
    Fidget house
    French house
    Freestyle house
    US garage
    Ghetto house
    UK Hard house
    Hard NRG
    Hi-NRG
    Hip house
    Italo house
    Kwaito
    Latin house
    Minimal house/Microhouse
    Progressive house
    Scouse house
    Swing house
    Electronica
    Tribal house
    Tech house
    Hi-NRG
    Eurobeat
    Eurodance
    Hard NRG
    Italo Disco
    New Beat
    Techno
    Industrial
    Aggrotech
    Ambient industrial
    Cybergrind
    Dark ambient
    Dark electro
    Death industrial
    Electronic body music
    Electro-Industrial
    Industrial (part 2)
    Industrial rock
    Industrial metal
    Coldwave
    Noise
    Japanoise
    Power noise
    Jungle/Drum and bass
    Clownstep
    Darkcore
    Darkstep
    Drumfunk
    Hardstep
    Intelligent drum and bass
    Jump-Up
    Liquid funk
    Neurofunk
    Oldschool jungle
    Ragga-jungle
    Darkside jungle
    Raggacore
    Sambass
    Techstep
    Trancestep
    Rock/Punk influenced electronic music (Dance-rock)
    Alternative dance
    Coldwave
    Cyber metal
    Dance-punk
    Dark Wave
    Digital hardcore
    Electroclash
    Electro rock
    Electropunk
    Ethereal Wave
    Industrial rock
    Industrial metal
    New Rave
    New Wave
    Synthpop
    Post-disco
    Progressive rock
    Synthpunk
    Techno
    Acid techno
    Detroit techno
    Free tekno
    Ghettotech
    Minimal
    New beat
    Nortec
    Schranz / Hardtechno
    Tech house
    Tech trance
    Techno-DNB
    Techstep
    Yorkshire Techno
    Trance
    Acid trance
    Classic trance
    Dream trance
    Euro-trance
    Hard trance
    Hardstyle
    Progressive trance
    Psychedelic trance/Goa trance
    Dark psy
    Full on
    Nitzhonot
    Psyprog
    Psybient
    Psybreaks
    South African psytrance
    Suomisaundi
    Tech trance
    Uplifting trance
    Vocal trance
    Post-disco
    Dance-pop
    Boogie
    Nu rave
    Hardcore breaks
    Rave breaks
    Jungle techno
    Chiptune
    8-bit
    Demoscene music
    Picopop
    Game Boy music
    Gamewave
    Other Derivatives
    Club/Dance
    Europop
    Euro-Trance
    Happy Hardcore

Yorkshire Techno.

LOL.

Tooled up with breaks, french delights

how come you get laced with Francois de Roubaix and this mufucka palms me off with the wham rap 12"?

i know i know beggars and choosers

Yorkshire Techno in the house

I believe then when I was a nipper I used to play this exact track by setting my casio keyboard to bossanova rhythm and hitting the keyboard with my elbow.

Maybe we should aim for June then? Gives us a month and a bit to hunt down Dolo.

how come you get laced with Francois de Roubaix and this mufucka palms me off with the wham rap 12"?

Summer is nearly upon us, with that context in mind I think Wham 12"s become ever more essential for that just-hopped-off-the-yacht-to-check-out-this-bbq type vibe.

Plus, more crucially, pity plays a large part here.

Skel is like the santa claus of vinyl at the moment, I can only wish the best karma around on him.

I DONT NEED YOUR PLATITUDES SENIOR

lol. b/w thanks for the jacques louissier t/p skel your a diamond, how were you to know i am a huge fan of the dude!

Summer is nearly upon us, with that context in mind I think Wham 12"s become ever more essential for that just-hopped-off-the-yacht-to-check-out-this-bbq type vibe.

Went to a funeral last Monday, and the curtains drew around the coffin to Club Tropicana. Very surreal moment.

Went to a funeral last Monday, and the curtains drew around the coffin to Club Tropicana. Very surreal moment.

That's a new one on me, my better half's father's funeral ended to Duelling Banjos which was a fantastic choice IMHO.

Haha

take that shit to ebay.com

And Young Guns Go For It b-side on the 12 has breaks, yo.

Anyways, Senior get the special, becasue, well, Senior is special

A TO THE EFFING O

I'm telling you people, record karma works.

I'm telling you people, record karma works.

you'll be laughing out the other side of your barnet when i drop my entire collection of chanson francaises braeks on you next time we meet.

That's a new one on me, my better half's father's funeral ended to Duelling Banjos which was a fantastic choice IMHO.

The deceased was an alcoholic, and it almost felt like it was a dig from his brother
    "drinks are free".

my better half's father's funeral ended to Duelling Banjos which was a fantastic choice IMHO.

thats a nice choice. i've always wanted the alice coltrane version of a love supreme, but now you're making me feel its a poncy draw.

You gotta go with Queen "Don't Stop Me Now" for a cremation.

lmao. oh jeez.