Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    pcmr said:
    Bayern barca
    chelsea real
    uefa already salivating

Complacancy took psg almost took madrid

I don't think Barça are in any way guaranteed to go through.

Athletico Madrid with teh win!

Bayern, predictably, with teh win... was in a pub watching. Manure scored, and a load of English fans started cheering loudly. From the kickoff, Bayern marched down the pitch and scored one back (not a Thai martial arts film), and there was an explosion of jeers from some Germans in the pub. I was amused. A third screen which dominated the pub and had the venue's pa was showing the Athleti vs Barca. The standard of football may have appeared better, more technical or whatever, but there was no doubt which game was the more entertaining.

ppadilha said:
    pcmr said:
    Bayern barca
    chelsea real
    uefa already salivating

Complacancy took psg almost took madrid

I don't think Barça are in any way guaranteed to go through.

Athletico Madrid with teh win!

Bayern, predictably, with teh win... was in a pub watching. Manure scored, and a load of English fans started cheering loudly. From the kickoff, Bayern marched down the pitch and scored one back (not a Thai martial arts film), and there was an explosion of jeers from some Germans in the pub. I was amused. A third screen which dominated the pub and had the venue's pa was showing the Athleti vs Barca. The standard of football may have appeared better, more technical or whatever, but there was no doubt which game was the more entertaining.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Now would be a good time for Messi to come to City.

New start and all that.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    No doubt United would have won that shit if Rooney wasn't still injured. Shows that the squad is actually decent and whilst investment is needed, Moyes has to get the blame for doing such a shit job with them this season.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I'm just gonna throw my CL predictions out there:
    Chelsea 0 x 0 Atletico de Madrid (Atleti thru in shoot out after Terry repeats his famous slip)
    Bayern 17 x 16 Real Madrid

Atletico fans will dip Simeone in gold and put him in front of their stadium after they win the double.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oh no, Sue Townsend died.
    Not sure how much she meant to folks at home there...where she's from, but she meant a lot to me when I was young and reading her books. Adrian (unsuccessfully) painting his Noddy wallpaper black is a comforting childhood literary memory, if that makes sense.
    Anyway - she suffered a lot of ailments throughout her life, I hope it wasn't too difficult of an exit.

• magpaul said:
    No doubt United would have won that shit if Rooney wasn't still injured..

O RLY?!

I have doubts. mainly because of the whole 'reigning champion versus historically underperforming squad' thing.

bassie said:
    Oh no, Sue Townsend died.
    Not sure how much she meant to folks at home there...where she's from, but she meant a lot to me when I was young and reading her books. Adrian (unsuccessfully) painting his Noddy wallpaper black is a comforting childhood literary memory, if that makes sense.
    Anyway - she suffered a lot of ailments throughout her life, I hope it wasn't too difficult of an exit.

I think that when these books came out I would've been about the same age as the eponymous hero, but felt that it wouldn't have been cool to read a middle-aged woman's take on growing up... the books were very popular and the bits that I have read in papers etc have also raised a smile and a chuckle. I should probably give them a go if only for the 80s-90s nostalgia.

• skel said:
    Shit, if Liverpool ain't careful they might win this thing.

The force is strong.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Wish they wouldn't always let it get so close though! Can't deal with another 4 games if they all get that tense. It's so good to watch them play at the moment though, perfect example of a squad so full of confidence it doesn't seem like anything can go wrong. I'm enjoying actually being worried about missing Jordan Henderson for the next few games.

That was a brilliant game. Steven-fookin'-Gerrard holding back some tears at the final whistle? Hope Liverpool take it, but Mou is lurking.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Doncha know that we won't stop...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    So to recap:

City get the Carling
    Arsenal the FA cup
    Liverpool the EPL
    Chelsea the. CL
    It's all turned out nice again, i'nt it

WM Moyes C

M e h

J i m s t e r said:
    M e h

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All said. City is a classy lot.

Making CL looks good. But I'm trying hard to keep my mouth shut and not jinxing winning PL title.

I did get a lil heartfelt seeing Stevie G get teary eyed. After hearing friends push the whole "He's at the end and loosing his game" crap, It's great seeing him show the stuff he's really made up.

• this is agonizing.

Their Game, Now Ours. Soccer, Particularly EnglandÔÇÖs Premier League, Growing in Popularity in New York Creative Circles

With fan interest booming, soccer is no longer the Kylie Minogue of the sporting realm: huge everywhere but here. After years of being greeted as the Next Big Thing that wasnÔÇÖt, the sport (particularly EnglandÔÇÖs Premier League, with its enhanced presence on American television) has become a conversation topic you can no longer ignore.

This is particularly evident in New York creative circles, where the gameÔÇÖs aesthetics, Europhilic allure and fashionable otherness have made soccer the new baseball ÔÇö the go-to sport of the thinking class.

ÔÇ£You buy into the history and the tradition, the values of the club,ÔÇØ said Bryan Lee, a digital brand strategist who grew up in Southern California and lives in Greenpoint. He showed up in a vintage gray Liverpool away jersey. ÔÇ£Historically, Liverpool has been a blue-collar port city,ÔÇØ added Mr. Lee, 24, as thoughtful as if he were delivering his orals at graduate school. ÔÇ£The politics of Liverpool was really sort of anti-Thatcher. ItÔÇÖs become the peopleÔÇÖs club. Those hardworking blue-collar values never really left, even though itÔÇÖs been ushered into the modern era of the club being a global franchise.ÔÇØ

• Tell me, what is this 'soccer' you speak of...

vintageinfants said:
    this is agonizing.

Their Game, Now Ours. Soccer, Particularly EnglandÔÇÖs Premier League, Growing in Popularity in New York Creative Circles

With fan interest booming, soccer is no longer the Kylie Minogue of the sporting realm: huge everywhere but here. After years of being greeted as the Next Big Thing that wasnÔÇÖt, the sport (particularly EnglandÔÇÖs Premier League, with its enhanced presence on American television) has become a conversation topic you can no longer ignore.

This is particularly evident in New York creative circles, where the gameÔÇÖs aesthetics, Europhilic allure and fashionable otherness have made soccer the new baseball ÔÇö the go-to sport of the thinking class.

ÔÇ£You buy into the history and the tradition, the values of the club,ÔÇØ said Bryan Lee, a digital brand strategist who grew up in Southern California and lives in Greenpoint. He showed up in a vintage gray Liverpool away jersey. ÔÇ£Historically, Liverpool has been a blue-collar port city,ÔÇØ added Mr. Lee, 24, as thoughtful as if he were delivering his orals at graduate school. ÔÇ£The politics of Liverpool was really sort of anti-Thatcher. ItÔÇÖs become the peopleÔÇÖs club. Those hardworking blue-collar values never really left, even though itÔÇÖs been ushered into the modern era of the club being a global franchise.ÔÇØ

None of us can gainsay this lest we fall into the Harvey spiderhole a la you can't sppreciate funk unless y'all from New Orleans even though I'm from the bay

• skel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    this is agonizing.

None of us can gainsay this lest we fall into the Harvey spiderhole a la you can't sppreciate funk unless y'all from New Orleans even though I'm from the bay

no, that is EXACTLY WHY you gainsay it.

you're allowed to talk about why you like the GAME if you're an american, but can you talk about how it applies to your sociopolitical climate? like jesus christ. that's like saying you like soul music because you associate with the civil rights movement. fuck.

When u put it that way, I agree.
    I almost lolled on reading about scouse being that hardworking port. On both counts.

Paging Doc.

::popcorn n gold::

And dude is 24, come on

B/w

Digital brand strategist

• skel said:
    And dude is 24, come on

B/w

Digital brand strategist

oh i know, i had to go back and edit my original post to include that. it's written with such reverence and solemnity that it can only be hilarious to anyone that isn't whistlin' dixie.

b/w

LEAVE FOOTBALL ALONE.

From teh Guardian:

At the very least some seem to feel that if a 24-year gap is closed and Gerrard gets his title wish, an asterisk should accompany the achievement in the record books to denote that Liverpool played fewer games than most of their rivals that season. If Liverpool do win the title and seventh place is established as the ideal launchpad for domestic success, can we expect teams to be fighting to finish outside the European positions from next season onwards? It could be Manchester United have been ahead of the game all along.

Discuss. Are you pro or anti asterisk if Liverpool wins?

Asterisk nonsense. It's negated by Suarez missing those games at the start.

Anyways it's becoming clear that the real decider is when JoMo ::no homo:: visits soon.

And if anyone upsets the apple cart, he's the dude.

MusicaDelAlma said:
    From teh Guardian:

At the very least some seem to feel that if a 24-year gap is closed and Gerrard gets his title wish, an asterisk should accompany the achievement in the record books to denote that Liverpool played fewer games than most of their rivals that season. If Liverpool do win the title and seventh place is established as the ideal launchpad for domestic success, can we expect teams to be fighting to finish outside the European positions from next season onwards? It could be Manchester United have been ahead of the game all along.

Discuss. Are you pro or anti asterisk if Liverpool wins?

File under; the four European Cups we won back when they only let the champions in don't count because #BigClubs.

FOH.

They deserve it most, in the absence this year of runaway champions.

Look at the muhfugging tightness of this batch. No-one is standing head-and-shoulders above the other wannabe Empire builders looking to replace the gap (labelled "Schadenfreude") where Fergie used to live. And how many of those points are down to Suarez and his one-of-a-kind sorcery? I mean, simply keeping his teeth onside is a superhuman feat. BTW am allowing myself a cheap dig as I am still sore from the predictable City implosion.

Jose and his Jedi Mind Tricks are no substitute for a genuine goal machine. He'd be better off replacing them with humility. No doubting man has the smarts doe.

City. FFS. 2-2 to the bottom of the league is not the material that champions suits are cut from. And I am running out of things to smash up. Good job my existential vibe extends to decor and the whole palatial yard is built from boron-infused marble around a "2001" Titanium obelisk centre-piece (I got that bird from "Frozen" to knock it out as a "Foreigner").

BTW, has anyone else thought about how it would be getting a handjob off her?

So no asterisk.

BTW I believe... (checks) yes, I have used both "Asterisk" and "Obelisk" in the same post.

What do I win?

Yeah I think it's a superficial argument at best, at worst straight "U MAD" - ness. Was just wondering how widespread of a perception this was right now due to Liverpool being underdogs for a while now and the reshuffling of the "top four."