TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Very widespread among haters, I've found.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    toby.d said:
    Very widespread among haters, I've found.

See also; we shouldn't have been allowed to enter the CL the year after winning it because we finished outside the qualifying places, and that LFC lobbying UEFA to permit the current European champions to be allowed to defend their title was an example of us demanding special treatment. Risible, idiotic, new-fan bullshit.

I said this at the time, and I'm still saying it, but personally I'd be happy for us to be stripped of the win if UEFA then went on to change the rules so only the actual league champions from the qualifying countries were permitted to enter. Perhaps then we could finally do away with all the "Big Club" exceptionalism surrounding what's effectively the super league UEFA always wanted in all but name. Even under those criteria, we'd still be more successful than any other British club that's ever entered the competition.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    If no European football was that much of an advantage, then surely Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle would be challenging for the title every year?

They're just playing better than anyone else.

Duderonomy said:
    If no European football was that much of an advantage, then surely Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle would be challenging for the title every year?

They're just playing better than anyone else.

Exactly*. It's not an endurance test.

I feel a similar way about this "buying the title" canard. Chelsea and City had already spent a lot of money before either of them finally "bought" the title. Yanited spent the entire 1980s trying to buy the title, even managing to finish fourth in what was supposedly a two-horse race one season.

Anyone who regularly saw the inside of a football ground before the Prem was established has no business giving these points-of-view any credence whatsoever.

* - we actually haven't been that good for quite a bit of this season, tbh.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

I feel a similar way about this "buying the title" canard. Chelsea and City had already spent a lot of money before either of them finally "bought" the title. Yanited spent the entire 1980s trying to buy the title, even managing to finish fourth in what was supposedly a two-horse race one season.

Maybe we're searching for a hybrid of this idea.

Back in Cloughtime, he won the title by spending virtually nish. When Blackburn won it, they palpably bought it.

These days you cannot do the former, and the latter is not guaranteed, but be certain: you must pay to be in with a shout.

It is undeniable.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    ÔÇ£Any time IÔÇÖm at a book party or reading, and soccer comes up in conversation, I find myself surrounded by young men in shabby-genteel, loosely fitting tweed jackets gushing over the Gunners,ÔÇØ Ms. Schaap said. ÔÇ£In such settings, being an Arsenal supporter is even more predictable than having an M.F.A. or a pair of horn-rimmed glasses.ÔÇØ

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't think it would negate the win, but it's definitely an advantage to not be in a European competition. If youÔÇÖre not going to get top 4 and the CL money, you would surely want to avoid the Europa League nonsense. Although there are Arsenal fans who would be happier to see us in that competition cause we might at least stand a chance of winning it.

This season Arsenal have had to play Fenerbahce to qualify for the CL, days later their next game was Spurs. We had to play runs of Liverpool - Dortmund - United, and Everton - Napoli - City all within a week of each other. Then, Liverpool - United - Liverpool (FA cup) - Bayern. And Everton - Bayern - Spurs - Chelsea.

LiverpoolÔÇÖs hardest run of fixtures was what.. City then Chelski over Xmas?

This isnÔÇÖt the 80s, to play with the big boys these days you really need to have a squad of basically two full strength first teams, which is virtually impossible without being bankrolled by some foreign conglomerate, gangster or corrupt nation state. Sure, clubs like Spurs, Villa & Stoke prove that just spending wonÔÇÖt buy you success, but itÔÇÖs no surprise that their spending is dwarfed by clubs like City, Chelsea & United, and itÔÇÖs them youÔÇÖll find at the top both tables (money spent and PL). LiverpoolÔÇÖs owners certainly havenÔÇÖt been afraid to splash the cash despite dire performances for half a decade. In the last decade theyÔÇÖve spent pretty much the same as United at around ┬ú200,000,000 Net, but well over double that gross. You canÔÇÖt say that's what (couldÔÇÖve) won them the tittle, but itÔÇÖs certainly put them in contention.

ppadilha said:
    ÔÇ£Any time IÔÇÖm at a book party or reading, and soccer comes up in conversation, I find myself surrounded by young men in shabby-genteel, loosely fitting tweed jackets gushing over the Gunners,ÔÇØ Ms. Schaap said. ÔÇ£In such settings, being an Arsenal supporter is even more predictable than having an M.F.A. or a pair of horn-rimmed glasses.ÔÇØ

:nagl:

• A happy gentry day to all.. One & only North End... Predicting more playoff heartache

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    http://www.vice.com/read/understanding-london-with-stock-images

The vast majority of the London stock photos on Getty are scenic wide shots of the city's skyline, usually taken at sunset and very rarely from anywhere east of Tower Bridge. Of course, this makes perfect sense. If you're a journalist writing something about London's chronic housing crisis, or a body in the Thames river, or Millwall's terrible run under Ian Holloway, you probably want to illustrate your copy with a picture of the Shard and a few anonymous riverside yuppie-farms when the sun's going down.

From the outset, it's clear that this is the London that Getty are most interested in selling to their customers, the London with all the big glass buildings and shimmering water, the one that girl from your school has as her Facebook cover photo, the one on the opening titles to The Apprentice. Not the one where there's three Paddy Powers on a single high street, or the one of food banks, pigeons cannibalizing fried chicken bones and crack squirrels.

London Headz to tawk abaaht ih?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Is it possible to buy the whole Sunderland team a pint?

WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE FUCKING LEAGUE.

On-loan Liverpool striker sinks Chelsea. Would you have made it up?

Of course if Liverpool, Chelsea & Citeh lose all of their remaining fixtures, ARSENAL COULD WIN THE LEAGUE.

:lol:

Meanwhile...

Really hoping Lollerpool win it, for three reasons:

Doc and all the other scousers I know
    Gerard, give or take the odd gangster thing he's been impeccable
    An end to that SAF "perch" nonsense, which was the ultimate bad look.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    meanwhile, in France, Bastia fans making fun on Ajaccio for going down:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

So ill.....

DOR said:
    Is it possible to buy the whole Sunderland team a pint?

Goddamn this was fun to watch!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    All the papers appear to be saying Moyes has pretty much been sacked.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2609419/David-Moyes-sacked-Manchester-United-lose-patience-following-Premier-League-failure.html
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/21/david-moyes-sack-manchester-united
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9276770/reports-suggest-david-moyes-has-been-sacked-as-manchester-united-manager

Who will replace him? Most of the top managers aren't going anywhere.. apart from Wenger possibly and there just no way.

Capello?
    Ancelotti?
    fan favourite Solskjaer?

I vote for Solskjaer. Should be good for a few laughs at least. Can United have a non Brit as a manager? Is that allowed?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Maybe they'll go cap in hand to the guy they should've got in the first place, Skell's mancrush Mou. Trying to steal him away from Chelsea could be fun. There really is no better manager to get them back on track.

1/4 to go in June

Lollers at SAF at 16s.

JoMo wishing he'd taken a year on sabbatical no doubt.
    Martinez as a mad outside bet? Nah, too honourable.

I'll call it: Klopp.

Cot damn my team are making this an exciting relgation battle.
    This >>>>>>>>> mid table tedium

Okem said:

Capello?
    Ancelotti?
    fan favourite Solskjaer?

Warnock?
    Di Canio?
    Kinnear?

I'm not believing the Klopp hype. Dude wants to establish his out and out supremacy in the Bundesliga & Champs League before he moves elsewhere.

van Gaal seems more likely.

Officially gone, says the Telegraph this morning.

Less than a season is hardly enough time to get a team playing the way you want, especially when they all feel they know better.

Sailor V these days.

Ergo, Pellegrini to be chopped for not delivering every possible trophy too. "The-Wheels-Have-Come-Off"-R.

We all predicted this poisoned chalice outcome

Why did Moyes not see it?

Bit shocked at the pace of denouement
    Jose kicking himself right now.

Btw he looks hella rough right now, my man-crush boner has waned
    Word to Moke

skel said:

I would image him and Fergie discussed the deal at length before the contract was inked, perhaps Moyes thought SAF would use his still-present influence to smooth out any formative tactical hiccups with the team and the board, using his own early tenure as an example that patience is a virtue.

Meriman got one eye on the shareprice doe, which wasn't the case BITD.

Keegan would love it.

skel said:

I think he did, quite a while ago;

Giggs in charge, if Red Nev joined him there I'd have to go back to hating him, and wee Mickey Owen might take his job as a pundit. I just hope that Man U pick another complete disaster to manage them but I can't see how anyone could do a worse job than Moyes. He really has been special.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I can't see how anyone could do a worse job than Moyes. He really has been special.

He was shit. Fuck giving a manager more time when they are this useless. The squad that comfortably won the league +70 million was enough to get a top 4 finish.