TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• pcmr said:
    has there ever been such an ammount of insanely good pure strikers at one moment on earth

who do you rate highest

cavani
    luis 'the mouth' suarez
    falcao
    lewandowski

im positive yesterday's performance vaulted lewie into the conversation, but despite his successes i don't know if he could be considered top 3 pure finishers in the world right now. he popped 3 and a P against a team that looked like they didn't want to be there. i think what the CL is showing us is that the single star is NOT the method. bayern balances the attack between muller, gomez and mandzukic while Dortmund gave fits forcing separation between lewandowski and reus. multiple talents who buy into the system has started to yield better fruits than the solo superstar who exists above it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    it is true
    it's also better to have a star shine brighter and emerge from a great galaxy of teamates (napoli,atletico mad, borrusia) than importing a supernova

i wonder if this pardigm shift will be translated in the world cup with germany and spain

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I think it's too soon to talk of a pardigm shift, and maybe a little misguided. Barca are a little rudderless at the moment, missing key players and in a slump, but they will be back strong as ever soon enough. Real are an odd team who, a little like Citeh, only at times seem to live up to thier full potential. And the special one seems to be more interested in angling for Sir Bacon Face's job, and generally being the little drama queen he loves being, raher than focusing on something as mundane as stability and consistency. Come the summer they will strengthen and improve again no doubt.

Germans being German are always well organised, stable and consistant, which is why thier league is the best run in the world, by a long stretch. They see a problem, address it, and improve. Which is also why German sides have been on the up for some time now. I found it ridiculous that some tv pundits were writing them off before the games. It's almost like, because they don't have a superstar player, they can't be that good. But Bayern have clearly been the best team in Europe this season, and were pretty close to that accolade last year. Until now Dortmund have lacked the experience and confidence to do it in Europe, but domestically they've been incredible for several seasons. Whilst the national side for the last 4 years has only just been second best to Spain.

This season Bayern have reacted to Dortmunds tactical developments and improved their overall game, which has narrowed the gap between them and Barca. With margins that narrow confidence can make the world of difference, so is it of any surprise that the team that has completely dominated domestically (to the point where their goalkeeper gets bored and starts doing training exercisese mid game) beat a team in a slump who were missing their best defenders and whose injured talismanic striker was doing nothing more than taking up space.

As for Barca and the physical argument. Bayern didn't look like a particularly physical side to me, they just pressed very well, tackled well and were organised fantastically. Something Barca usually do, but by comparison they never really seemed at the races.
    Barca, and Spain, have faced their fare share of bigger stronger sides and come out victorious. Where was the 'men against boys' physical argument then? Holland tried to kick them off the park in the WC finals but they still dominated and won. At full strength, with the quality of players they have, all that matters is if they're on form or not. If they are, they can beat anyone, I think they've proved that.

I'll stop being a football bore now.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Bar??a looked like they were rejiggering their game at the start of the season but that project derailed when Tito got ill. I think they just want this season to be done so they can regroup over the summer. Can't really blame the injuries though, their squad has been thin for several seasons now and they've been reluctant to address that problem.

As for Madrid, teams tend to lose their way after Mourinho leaves, so I don't know what they'll be like next season. And who's left on the list of coaches for them to burn?

And I wouldn't say Bayern don't have superstar players, they have Robben and Ribery FFS. The only reason they're not superstars is because they play in Germany (and they're ugly). They've also been to 2 of the past 4 finals, it's no surprise if they make it again.

anyway, the return legs still have to be played, there could be some magic in store for us.

also, noticed no one spoke up for Ibracadabra on the Greatest Living Striker list...

Brazil played another pointless friendly last night. Tied 2-2 with Chile.

• ppadilha said:

And I wouldn't say Bayern don't have superstar players, they have Robben and Ribery FFS.

surely you jest.

vintageinfants said:
    ppadilha said:

And I wouldn't say Bayern don't have superstar players, they have Robben and Ribery FFS.

surely you jest.

well, he was considered a star at Chelsea and Real Madrid. I'm not talking about his playing abilities - he's a bit of a one-trick pony in that department, but that never kept other players from becoming superstars [COUGH]davidbeckham[/COUGH]

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hers the thing about these "superstar" players.

Any of us dudes could step up and power a passable free kick to test a GK, or lash a shot on the volley, or pass a little five yarder to Iniesta and them.

But could Messi cut a nice length of skirting board from some knotted pine like VI could?
    Or could Lewandowski edit some 2 hour mess of incoherent VT into a considered documentary like padilha?
    Or for that matter could Reynaldo walk into my bank and successfully transfer a yard of dollars to a bank in Belgium?
    No.
    So fuck them dudes, they got NOTHING on us. Get some perspective up in this bith.
    Carry on.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ibra definetly le oversight...d??sol??

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I actually think it's a poor time for 'pure' strikers. Seemed to be a lot more of them in the past. Thinking about when the Italian league was bossing it in the '90s, every team had an amazing striker or two. Van Basten, Klinsman, Battistuta, couple of guys from Chile (Ruben Sosa and another), Crespo, Christian Vieri, then George Weah, Shevchenko...

b/w

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Battistuta... Shevchenko...

Amongst recent pure strikers, these are the best IMHO, For sure. I would also add Henry and Drogba to that list.

BITD-ness-wise, Vialli was also killer in the Italian leagues. I also rated fat Ronaldo at his peak. Homegrown, and I'm sure to get clon for this, I recall a time when Robbie Fowler was pretty much unplayable and was scoring for fun. But he didn't show the consistency of the others. Same for Van Nistelrooy and Shearer.

I also have a soft spot :ayo: for the haunted face of the one Inzaghi, who I believe modelled his game on my very own, right-time, right-place, wrong body-part schtick. His magic is making them go in, as opposed to my epic fails.

WMIC.

Actually, not crying. As S*eve alludes to, Inzaghi would be lost decoding assembly thread stacks.

Best in the prem now are RVP and Tevez. Suarez needs to put another couple of top-notch seasons in to qualify.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Suarez is above Tevez imo. No doubting that Carlos is a workhorse but he lacks the goals. His league total of 11 so far is on par with Giroud, Walcott, Felliani and Defoe.

Tevez has delivered the goods for several teams doe, Chiz. Slots in anywhere. City also don't play a "Get the ball to Suarez" game.

Could you beat Suarez at snooker, giving him 40 points start?

Or Tevez at darts, he starts at 301 and you at 501?

I say: YES

And although I understand Jimsters point on the Liverpool vs City attack model, Suarez has to do much of the creation by himself. And he does it largely by applying a cunning, audacity and speed of thought that sets him apart from everyone else, IMHO.

yeah, the early 90s was a much better time for the striker. The chileans were Salas and Zamorano. I also throw in a vote for Davor Suker, even if he came a bit later (WC 98-R). And let's not forget the king of 90s strikers: Romario. The man scored goals like he just couldn't give a fuck.

of the current vintage, there was a period when Eto'o was the best in the world, IMHO. It's a shame he went off to Anzhi Chakachas to earn his, his children's and his grandchildren's retirement money.

Crespo was another classy striker, just never had the luck of being on a winning team.

Suarez does have Gerrard supplying the goods which is arguably lacking in City's offence. Yaya Toure is brilliant but doesn't have that range of killer passing. Will be interesting to see how the Shiek makes it rain this summer, wouldn't be surprised to see Gareth Bale making the switch.

skel said:
    Suarez has to do much of the creation by himself. And he does it largely by applying a cunning, audacity and speed of thought that sets him apart from everyone else, IMHO.

I have a horrible feeling that Bale will go to Un*ted. Like Carrick did, who I've always seen as a better Gareth Barry. Carrick is up for Un*ted's player of the season, no?

City can only buy what's on the shelves and gamechangers are few and far between.

meanwhile, in Uruguay:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pipo and drogba are the ones who stayed killer the longest
    suarez deserves to be in the discussion because of what he did in PSV and uruguay

ppadilha said:
    meanwhile, in Uruguay:

UK stylee

• He doesn't have the experience under his belt of the others but I'd put Hernandez in the list of "pure" strikers.
    I wouldn't put Tevez in there - he is a little different(a lot of huff and puff).

What about Di Natale?

badder_than_evil said:
    Di Natale?

He's good, definitely a number 9.

Also Henrik Larsen, Robbie Fowler, Alan Shearer, Andy Cole in the '90s.

Duderonomy said:

Duder, is this supposed to be animated?
    It's not moving.
    Please to make it move

B/w

List every striker ever

skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

Duder, is this supposed to be animated?
    It's not moving.
    Please to make it move

Try right clicking, copying the image location, then pasting that into another window? Or it could be the explorer you're using. Internet Explorer? Firefox? Should work with Firefox.

B/w

List every striker ever

Only need list one.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    On a side note. I couldn't tell if Liverpool was playing that well or Newcastle was playing that shitty?

DOR said:
    On a side note. I couldn't tell if Liverpool was playing that well or Newcastle was playing that shitty?

Suarez who? Crazy score, couldn't believe how bad Newcastle were... but Coutinho looks like a great player.
    3rd & 4th spot still the most exciting thing in the league this year. I think Arsenal might scrape it, Chelsea probably hangon to 3rd. Spurs deserve to be up there, but without Lennon or a fit Bale they could be in trouble.

Apart from Vertongen, can't really argue with that. Nice to see De Gea graduating from dodgy keeper to best in the league.

Only other players that could have really made the cut are Michu, Rafael, Evans and Carzola,