27 Sept ~ Kung Fu @ Concorde 2, Brighton
    28 Sept ~ The Electric Palace, Bridport
    29 Sept ~ O2 Academy, Bristol

Skel could have sorted man for a parking space innit bruv

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Merkans don't have fortnights?

Requires an attention span.

• Lolz. Paid that shit over the phone. 65 quid. Poof vamoose sonofabitch.

Also, can someone please explain to me what the fuxk an export version of beer is? And why does carlsberg EXPORT say "probably the best lager in the world..." what in the actual fuxk does that mean? Is it or isn't it carlsberg? And who, aside from us big guy rapper backstage buys this tripe. And strongbow pear? How chav can you get. What the ell uk 2012. Was feeling that labor party dudes q&a today on bbc tho.

Ps. Bridport is wierd

Pps. I should get a trophy for navigating a 2012 vw cc turbo down b roads. Just saying. Double k was smoking blunts out the passenger seat. DEWRINIT!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    They still make Carlsberg? Who knew?
    Starter lager for 16yos

Pear cider? Never that, son.

Bridport? Wtf.

Sounds like Thes' itinerary was put together by a maiden aunt.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    skel said:
    They still make Carlsberg? Who knew?
    Starter lager for 16yos

Pear cider? Never that, son.

Bridport? Wtf.

Sounds like Thes' itinerary was put together by a maiden aunt.

I was surprised to discover that, here in Germany, Carlsberg is actually quite drinkable (purity laws-r). But what, I hear you ask, are you doing drinking Carlsberg in the first place if you live in a country where the beer-drinker is quite literally spoiled for choice? Blame the missus for catching sight of some Hertha BSC-branded six-packs of the stuff in the local Kaiser's and thinking they'd make an amusing novelty Xmas present. She's had worse ideas.

skel said:

B/w where's the man like Beattie gone?

He's been busy.

He's a boy, that nick.

B/w my ailment turns out to be multiple sclerosis. Both better and worse than I had hoped.
    But not for me the Ronnie Lane route, the wheelchair whimper, I will make plans for when that time comes, if it ever does.
    Living a life without sensation chest down ( albeit fully functioning)!is not the happiest news but at least I no longer worry about barking my shins.

::

skel said:
    He's a boy, that nick.

B/w my ailment turns out to be multiple sclerosis. Both better and worse than I had hoped.
    But not for me the Ronnie Lane route, the wheelchair whimper, I will make plans for when that time comes, if it ever does.
    Living a life without sensation chest down ( albeit fully functioning)!is not the happiest news but at least I no longer worry about barking my shins.

::

Jesus. Keep your chin up, fella. My sister-in-law suffers from a similar condition, which has led to her needing a walking frame in her 40s. Plenty of warm weather and controlled intake of the healing herb may help. It certainly won't hurt.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Acckk!!!
    Skel - stay strong dude. That shit is no easy diagnosis, so keep up the good fight. We just went through a scare with my mom re: MS so I know that is no easy thing for the family to deal with too.

-jonathan

Thanks dudes, I have been hearing from people of relatives still walking round in their 80s and so on.

And anyways, I'm glad to get a diagnosis, alls I need now is some prognosis ( this will be essentially unknowable tho') and I will make plans accordingly.

I ain't that dude to be shuffling along or being wheeled around.

Blaze of glory, I am that dude.
    Suggestions welcome.
    Charity parachute drop with sharp scissors?
    White cliffs of Dover, Quadraphenia stylee?
    Ah, here's the one: find open-air festival gig with the remnants of Thin Lizzy, storm the rain-soaked stage with a badly wired guitar, plug in, drop a huge Jailbreak power chord and literally go out with a bang.
    YES.

Here's something I never thought I'd live to see (not that I was especially awaiting it or anything, but still). According to someone who in turn heard it from someone in a position to know, The Smiths (minus Andy Rourke) will be getting back together next year for four shows, including a headline spot at Glastonbury.

This is how much cash I imagine it must have taken to even get them in the same room together, never mind on a stage.

Goddamn that is going to blow the Stone Roses out of the water, if not that Zep thing at the O2.

The only thing to top it would be....no, let's not go there.
    No.

Oh alright then; the Jam.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Well St*ve, I think it's fair to say that's pretty galling news.

While it's as certain as taxes, oddly I guess it's the ultimate elephant in the room. But when the fucker breaks wind, it's an eye-watering reminder that none of us is getting out alive.

Best mate is a doctor. Once you started talmbout numbness, it did cross my mind but I wasn't going to be the one to take it there, no. But as you say, the prognosis is a lottery. It can even come and go, so I am told. Obviously, I hope you get dealt a hand at the better end of the spectrum.

You said it'll all work out in the end, and if it hasn't, it's not the end.

THIS ^.

It's going to expedite my next trip to The Smoke for one. Man is getting that f*cking caw-fee back and no mistake. And you can't drink coffee through a straw, now, can you? No. So, you will fucking be necking it as God intended.

skel said:
    Goddamn that is going to blow the Stone Roses out of the water, if not that Zep thing at the O2.

The only thing to top it would be....no, let's not go there.
    No.

Oh alright then; the Jam.

A mate of mine does Weller's press and, according to her, he hates Rick Buckler. But if this Smiths story turns out to be true, then I'd say anything's possible.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Fuckin hell. I wonder who really needed the cash.

DOR said:
    Fuckin hell. I wonder who really needed the cash.

Let's just say that, if you're Morrissey's lawyer, you'll never be short of work in either direction. His legal affairs are a dependable source of billable hours.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Skel, tough news - stay positive, man. Not sure If SS has an emtIcon for morbId Irony but as you say, it actually could be worse. yeah, those small mercies. Love your blaze of glory scenario - if you can plan it for the Jam reunion tour instead then I think we''ll have you around for a few decades longer.

As for the Smiths...couldn't possibly comment.

Flomotion said:

As for the Smiths...couldn't possibly comment.

Get me a couple of best tickets and I'll do it at the final chord of 'Miserable Now'.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Damn S*eve, like you say, imagine kind of better and worse than feared but, still, what an absolute fucking pisser.

That's a hell of a thing to take on the chin but, from the times we've met, know you are a man on a mission to realise what you really want out of life so there's no doubt in my mind that this is just a hiccup in that plan.

Now when you gonna make use of the 1-time offer sympathy drinks we'll buy you?

Junior said:
    Damn S*eve, like you say, imagine kind of better and worse than feared but, still, what an absolute fucking pisser.

That's a hell of a thing to take on the chin but, from the times we've met, know you are a man on a mission to realise what you really want out of life so there's no doubt in my mind that this is just a hiccup in that plan.

Now when you gonna make use of the 1-time offer sympathy drinks we'll buy you?

I'm back in town next week for a few days. Got a bit of running around to do, but I'd certainly be up for a libation if it's doable.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Damn Steve that's some harsh news. I well and truly suck at finding any suitable words to say in such situations. Thoughts are with you and your family. I'm sure you'll deal with in your immutable style and have many years of good living yet to come.

Cone on then dudes I'm out next week on Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday and Thursday is up for grabs.

My favourite bar, the Wine Tun opposite St Pauls; you get the beers, I'll get the sharing platters in.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts

• Just catching up with this thread... that's some huge news to deal with, Steve. Here's to you and the family.

Also, I wouldn't be mad at The Smiths reforming for a few gigs.

• who do i PayPal to get Skel a drink?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    who do i PayPal to get Skel a drink?

• DOR said:
    vintageinfants said:
    who do i PayPal to get Skel a drink?

not even on some pity type shit. dude seems TUFF. matter fact, you guys all meet up, first round on me. cheers to Skel though.

Dudes I sppreciate the kind words and sympathies.

But a bit of debunking is required.

MS is not terminal. My short term outlook is fine. Few weeks back I got picked up by a woman on my 9 minute train journey, we've been out a couple times, tonight dinner and now got invite for cosy night in next week. Black girl, a first for me. And since my sensory perception is shot, I will 'pound her ass into oblivion'. There are positives. Seize the day.
    Medium term outlook is a lottery, and will shape the long term outlook, which is essentially a move towards progressive disability. But that is not so cut and dried. Dude I know has an 85yo aunt with MS still walking around fine.
    What it does do is give my future demise a shape, an outline, a fuzzy definition that is denied to you lot. I can manage it any way I see fit. It us reassuring actually to be able to plan for it.
    And any other threat to that, like cancer or whatever, might be a blessing in certain circumstances. I have faced that down and come out smiling.
    And if that disability thing happens 5, 15, 25 years from here I now have the motive and momentum to make every single fucking second count for the here and now.

Many will have noticed a mawkish tone to my posts here of late. And Junior will remember beer-sodden Mano a mano convos earlier this year. Duder too, noting my weight loss and general uptick in being a devastatingly handsome dude. And neil s as well, in my being unready to sort out some music-R stuff. Apologies, i had a million things to do. Sorting out will, getting rid of unwanted life anchors, records, failing relationships, jobs. I knew this was coming. I am dealing.

You must too.
    I have collected pages of life-affirming and inspirational platitudes, but here's the resonant one:
    When tomorrow arrives, it means today has gone. Don't waste today. It's the only thing you have.

• fucking awesome. that's the shit im talking about. you're not a man who needs my pity or sympathy, but ill be backed up and fucked if i can't get you and your boys a drink, to you.

above and beyond the insanely large wealth of musical knowledge ive gotten to blot out of this place, there has been a god damned PROFOUND lesson in how to take punches life throws with grace and strength.