TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well, yesterday was all a bit anti-climatic eh?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    I'm going to try and be sympathetic to Manure fans (grits teeth).

It must be weird that in a season that you've spent the majority of unbeaten, with the league more or less sewn up, and a spot in the Champs League final to look forward to, you're seen by almost all but die-hard reds as one of Ferg's worst sides; boring, uncharasmatic, and eminently beatable.

Even if you put six past Barca, the history books would still have this Man U side as a hard-working, well-drilled unit that fluked 6 shots against the run of play. No matter that you've won the league, you've got a midfield that would struggle to get into any of the other top 6. And about ten years ago you had the best in Europe - Giggs, Scholes, Keane, and Beckham.

The worst part is that you can only beat what's put in front of you. When Man U can close out a Champs League semi final with a front two of Anderson & Michael Owen (and bloody Anderson scores 2 goals), it's a pretty damning verdict of your competition.

So yeah, well done.

:cheese:

Duderonomy said:
    I'm going to try and be sympathetic to Manure fans (grits teeth).

It must be weird that in a season that you've spent the majority of unbeaten, with the league more or less sewn up, and a spot in the Champs League final to look forward to, you're seen by almost all but die-hard reds as one of Ferg's worst sides; boring, uncharasmatic, and eminently beatable.

Even if you put six past Barca, the history books would still have this Man U side as a hard-working, well-drilled unit that fluked 6 shots against the run of play. No matter that you've won the league, you've got a midfield that would struggle to get into any of the other top 6. And about ten years ago you had the best in Europe - Giggs, Scholes, Keane, and Beckham.

The worst part is that you can only beat what's put in front of you. When Man U can close out a Champs League semi final with a front two of Anderson & Michael Owen (and bloody Anderson scores 2 goals), it's a pretty damning verdict of your competition.

So yeah, well done.

:cheese:

I get where you're coming from with the above and can't deny that all my non man u supporting friends feel the same way but have noticed a reappraisal in the media recently about how good this team actually are. Undoubtedly this is due in part to us being on the verge of setting a new title record along with Fergie taking the team to three CL finals in four years but I also think that you're doing an injustice to the players we've got.

I mean, really, are you suggesting that Nani and Valencia aren't up there with the best wide men in the league at the moment? Are there really that many better holding players in the league at the moment than a fit Fletcher? I also think most teams would leap to have someone like Park around as well. On top of that we have, in my mind, on form the best left back in the league, an outstanding central partnership and a very promising (if slightly hot headed) young right back. Oh yeah we also have the top scorer in the league resting on the bench most weeks, being kept out by a 22 year old who has scored twenty goals in his first season at the club. And, of course, Wayne.

Obviously we can only beat what is put in front of us and I think that (Barca apart) the overall quality of all clubs worldwide has gone downhill the last few years which does make it harder to judge. However the fact that the current squad work so well as a unit is more a credit to Fergie than a criticism as surely we're superior now to when we relied on 40+ goals from a toothy crybaby to succeed. Lets not forget as well that when we won the CL with the legendary midfield Keane and Scholes were suspended and we had Nicky Butt in midfield and Jonathan Greening warming the bench.

As for the CL, Marseille are a decent team and Chelsea were entirely on form when we played and beat them. The fact that we avoided some of the "big name" teams is in part due to us winning our group and therefore not having to deal with them in the last sixteen. Schalke however, were laughably bad, no arguments there.

Anyway, tl;dr version, like I say, I get where you're coming from but I also think that, were we to win the double, this team would have their legendary status confirmed and justifiably so.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    as both a chelsea and bar??a supporter (hatt me now)
    i won't stand here and not give ManU there due
    you make a good point with anderson
    but park,valencia,nani and chicharito are world class and have blossomed amazingly under fergie
    Fergie is a beast that has made it work with any squad he had, in this regard he trumps ancelloti
    berbatov and rooney cannot be dismissed
    vidic,giggs and van der saar are still getting it done
    It's a great squad...i still think they will have difficulty slowing down barca (especially in midfield) but that is not because the team is unstoppable (i found real, was able to ask the best questions when they anticipated our passing, ManU does not have the luxury of knowing us so well)
    Furthermore, ManU has shown a lot of resilience this year, coming back from behind which goes against your agruments duderonomy, i am still scared of a 88th mintue berbatov header to break the deadlock
    this pains me aas i hatt this UNTD but as they say
    RILL RECOGNIZE RILL

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that being said we all recongnize anderson,bebe and co are some of the most overatted underperforming overpaid human beings being allowed on a pitch

Nani, Valencie & Fletcher.

Well, Nani is horribly inconsistent. He shows flashes of brilliance, and other games does nothing. On form he is good, but I think most clubs would look at his fancy-dan temperament and consider that he's not worth it.

They're more likely to go for a reliable but less flashy model like Valencia. Unfortunately for UTD, he's been unavailable most of this season. When on form he's great at bombing down the wing. Sometimes it seems that this is pretty much the extent of his game though. Him and Walcott are very similar players, with very similar problems, although Valencia seems much better at the defensive duties than wee Theo.

Park I shouldn't slate as his work-rate is in the same league as Kuyt/Tevez. A bit like Fletcher who had a monster season last year, and but has been absent this season.

The midfield that we've seen most this year has been a mix of Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Carrick, Gibson, O'Shea, even Rooney dropping deep to try and plug the gaps. The defence is impeccable, and the attack annoyingly good at taking their chances. Ferguson has occasionally been forced to experiment, and when his preferred personnel are unavailable, he's had very mixed results, so while he is a managerial genius, I won't go so far as to say he could get a championship winning season with the Wolves squad.

They are a good team, but will this be the lowest points in Prem League history to win the league? Statistics seems to suggest that any other season, and this squad would be battling for 3/4th spot. Who knows, maybe they would've upped their game. The match against Barca will be a good litmus test of their resilience.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i agree with you about the valencia walcott comparison, but valencia's maturity, passing, defensive tracking and crossing are vastly superior. Yes he bombs down the wing but gets in the box better

Nani on form was a monster seemingly getting better and he got rid of the ronaldo syndrome...italian teams must be salivating

this final will be a good litmus test for both squads...
    Let's not forget bar??a's injury troubles this year out of all the new rotation guys only adriano paid off and now he is injured again...our left wing id dodgy at best now so Man U can focus on shutting down alves. Our back 4 have been a mixed bag all season...because of injury...i have a hard time thinking what we could do to top rooney,nani,valencia,chicha onslaught with berbz on the bench
    but we've done it before against a comparable (upfront) squad such as real.
    Mascherano will be key for us and containing xavi will be for Untd...wembley fans will have a say as well

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Luiz and Torres what busts and wastes of millions of pounds. How do you almost close a 15 pt gap and then fail in the first 36 seconds? Oh well theres always the champions league, oh wait nevermind. I hope man u upsets barca, i cant stand theatrics of alves, pedro, etc, but expect xavi and messi to roll the shit outta man u. Enjoy the epl crown, or rather coming out on top of a 4-5 legged race.

pcmr said:
    that being said we all recongnize anderson,bebe and co are some of the most overatted underperforming overpaid human beings being allowed on a pitch

Coming from a Chelsea fan that's a rather bold statement

Anyway, agree with you both that it will all be put to the test against Barca. I think the fact that this year has been less glitzy means that we're not going into the final with the kind of arrogance we had two years ago (I still owe Skel records) when we thought all we had to do was play our game and we'd trounce the team that struggled and then got an official pass past Chelsea. I'd expect a far more resilient display and actually playing with at least one attacking forward rather than having Rooney on the left wing should help matters too. Should be a decent match and Barca's recent histrionics have done a good job of cancelling some of the blinkered love for them as well so hopefully I'll be spared some of the verbal jerking over their squad.

I'll be hedging my bets by having a pre match bbq anyway so drinks will either be flowing merrily as we clinch that fourth title or the match can be relegated to some visual distraction in the corner while I get sullenly drunk and make everyone listen to the tracks in the Post A Folk Song That Kills thread.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I really agree about ManU arrogance going down a notch and it's a good thing for your squad
    Bar??a were humbled as well,however and real is better preparation than schalke
    For the record david luiz was not a bust but his mistakes are costly, torres don't get me started...if we lose kalou because of him i will be pissed. The squad needs to get a major facelift.
    I hate busquets theatrics and almost want him off the squad (but passing% and ball recovery make him too valuable) Pedro should calm down as well...alves and iniesta i'll give a pass to.
    The verbal masturbation may be lowered for both squads and any talk before the 28th will mean nothing. Let both squads stay healthy and hope for a good match...not for a rooney elbow on busquets in midfield on the 8th minute leaving the referee with howard web like decisions.
    I'll be dropping my master's thesis the day before the match so i am getting wasted regardless

Ha! Good man. Yeah all I really want is a decent match, no unfortunate injuries before hand and no early sendings off.* The two teams have the capability to put on a great final and I hope that the occasion doesn't result in a damp squib. Barca are undoubtedly favourites for it so if they beat us fair and square good on em as based on squad alone they should have won about the last four but the wonder of football is anything can happen in a one off match.
    Roll on the 28th.

* For United.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Bah. I say, BAH!

Baconface will most likely put out his team of 8 defenders + 1 striker. It's possible that you may beat Barca, but I wouldn't put money on it. Both teams lack form away from home, but with it being at Wembley United should have a slight advantage in that respect. Although they've lost most of the games they've played in London this season.
    I just hope Messi shows up, otherwise it will probably be a complete snooze. That or, Alves & Evra having some kind of handbags at dawn, duel to the death. please.

-

I tried to poast this earlier but teh internet has been on the fritz.

-

Well United at home with their 12 men (including Vidic who should've missed the game with a one match ban for being a cheating scumbag) against a poor Chelski side. Can't say I'm surprised by the outcome.

"legendary status" hmm, I don't see it.

In defence you have the best goal keeper, best CB & left back in the league, and Rio isn't bad either.
    They're the main reason you've won the league, but they've been there for some time now and have been an integral part of a much better team than this.
    The only thing it seems that you needed to do this season to win the league was, defend well and consistently - and not even in every game, only home games would suffice.

Nobody would deny the world class quality of that United defence, but as for the rest of the team this season, meh. Rooney, and that's about it - and he's been shit for a great part of it. Fletcher has barely made an impact this season. BaconFace seems to view Park like his favourite piece of designer millinery, and only brings him out on special occasions. Nani is such a complete arse it's impossible to say complimentary things about him. Valencia is effective but ordinary - which could be Uniteds' new motto. The Pee, I will reserve judgement on for another year, he's been a real blessing this season but I'm still sceptical.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    Un*ted won because the players and referees are all scared of Fergie.

Even I want to punch The Wayne in that picture.

In all seriousness, I think even die hard Chleski fans would be hard pressed to suggest we weren't the superior team at both the weekend and the two legs of the CL. Anyway, consistency my friends, consistency. It's not like we've George Grahamed every result this season but resisting temptations to crumble at crucial times (and there have been a number of times when it looked on the cards) has been the crucial difference. We've also played some beautiful football and scored more great team goals this season alone than Chelsea have managed in total in the last five years.

Next year should be interesting if Arsenal sort out their weaknesses, Citeh settle down after what should be on paper their first silverware of the current generation, Chelsea regroup and cull some of the oldies and Liverpool continue their resurgence under Kenny.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah the PL will remain the most exciting league and next year will be great (especially if spurs make smart decisions)
    don't counr out stoke though they did a number on arsenal

football season is about to end :( but the copa america this year will be more than brazil v argentina
    This summer's tranfer market will be exciting (crossing my fingers that crouch ends up in turkey somehow)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Next year should be interesting if Arsenal sort out their weaknesses

also.

Walcott is nothing like Valencia.

Okem said:

also.

Walcott is nothing like Valencia.

Breaking news: Walcott & Valencia in separated at birth shocker!

That youtube is a bit dodgy. But yeah, another hat-trick for Maxi, and another slow-starter for teh 'Pool is starting to look like a sound purchase.

Scousers should've sold Gerrard while his value was high.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    saw the game...can't believe the no call on the handball
    SUAREZ IS A BEAST!

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    dempsey is gonna get snapped up by a larger club right?

rumors of benzema to arsenal make my pants tight.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    haha benzema to arsenal would be hilarious...reunited with nasri
    but real did already sign a younger better striker from borusia dortmund
    mourinho does not waste time and it scares me...
    ozil has been his best move so far..he will eventually figure bar??a out
    meanwhile david villa is slightly disapointing (compared to his spanish form) and we are getting older
    unless he scores a brace v untd

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    edulus said:
    dempsey is gonna get snapped up by a larger club right?

rumors of benzema to arsenal make my pants tight.

naw, thats just your American pride wishing bigger and better things for Clint. Fact is, Fulham are exactly the type of team that he should play for (i.e. upper mid-table). He's a good/scrappy player (and i own his US replica kit), but he doesn't have TOP form quality in my opinion.

as for Benzema, he'd be good for sure, but i suspect its just the Francophiles that assume Wenger will go after all things French. I doubt it will happen, as it would also require AW to change his beloved (Barca-lite) 4-3-3 format. It would probably be a good move for Karim though, as he gets schitt for playing time in Madrid.

Wenger is my dude, but this summer will be defining in a way to see if he has lost the plot or not. I unfortunately suspect that he will not yet let go all the extra baggage he has accumulated over the past few years. Here's to hoping he shows some gusto and finally gets this team on track with the talent they warrant.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this was the year for them and they found a way to fuck it up
    not even the FA cup final
    next year he has to start all over again
    they played a great game against bar??a
    will we go through the whole fabregas circus again?

We could do with Arsenal giving us 3rd... No need for playoffs to enter the group-stage in the CL then.

It's possible.

Tevez was salty last night. Please don't swap him for this clown, please, please....

What a wankstain.

I'm pleased you're pleased Jimster but if the kind of attitude displayed last night is anything to go by I can't help but feel that Citeh's excursions in Europe next season will be the polar opposite of 'Arry's joyously liberated campaign. So much talent and such a negative set up. Still, nice to see Crouch make the decisive impact again.

I don't know if I see Benzema coming to England now, looked more than likely Utd would snap him up at one point and something scared us off - couple that with the lack of any real impact since and I'm not sure why anyone would want to go through the motions with him. I agree with jlee on Wenger, this really is the summer to show that he can adapt and rebuild otherwise I think it may be the beginning of the end.

I think once Tevez is gone, then playing Ballo/Dzeko together with Silva being the hub will result in more forward-thinking play. We need another "Silva-like" creative midfielder (SWP not cutting it, Robinho... Oh, he's gone, AJ doesn't play all the time) and it will come. Mancini making sure he wasn't sacked was his priority.

Sneijder please. I hear Kaka > Chelski is a done deal. Good, he seems past his best.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I hear Kaka > Chelski is a done deal. Good, hehas been past his prime.

I criticized him during all the world cup...i can seee him playing a lampard role...but he just weighs a team down even if he has good intentions (lil catholic boy)...essien needs a shot in the arm as well

A forward once hailed as the best in his world in his position who has lately suffered a great loss in form and will yet be transferred for a great deal of money and be shunted in the first team every week? Seems like the perfect buy for Chelski. Boom Tish.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    while RealMadrid gets rid of the mistakes they made and immediately make good decisions
    Ch???ls???a continues to dig its own costly grave...
    so much less expensive talent already on hand instead of bringing in fading stars to disrupt the balance
    crouch has cost his team yet again...hey maybe that could be another signing

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the seth blater and FIFA corruption details are terrible...knighthood,tv rights, trinidad/paraguay/haiti/brazil and thailand involved in corruption...you don't say

racist french federation...I for one am absolutely shocked
    i can't believe the players would want to play for Blanc
    The worst part is this is because a lot of dual national players (finally) were having second thoughts about playing for there home countries...
    this embarassing and the current race relations climate in france are a great incentive for them to stay i am sure...
    I have dual citizenship (france,canada) and my dad as well (france/senegal) and would love to see more overated ''pure'' french dudes (toulalant,gorcuff) and more ciss??s,diaras and cie go back, they can keep benzema though...
    just imagine how the algerian and senegalese national squads could have fared in the past 2 decades had they kept their talent...
    oh i almost forgot...like Platini said african football is primitive
    at least germany does not try to conceal their approach (cacau ftw)
    and he's been cleared of all charges although his comments were said to be too offensive
    can't wait for euro 2012.
    This (along with the banana/neymar, Cole tweet and balotelli stuff) has been a great year for the world game...
    blame those rowdy africans!