Soulstrut Fit Club .............

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I thought this was gonna be a club for all the soulstrut posters who throw fits.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I know we were on the subject of eating right etc. a few weeks back. Two summers ago I weighed 300lbs., last summer I was at 219lbs. and this summer I'm at 239lbs. Time to start losing again! I would like to be under 200lbs. even if it's 199lbs. just so I'm not 200lbs. I was eating good and exercising and I remember on my b-day last year I wanted a slice of cake. My girl brought me a whole cake! So of course over the course of two weeks ended up eating the whole thing, then slowly but surely eating bad again altogether and realize it's been another year passed and I can feel the 20lbs. I packed on! So I figure with the help of the soulstrut fam we can do a soulstrut "Fit Club" and that way I can lose with the help and support of y'all and maybe some of y'all have to lose a few too? Maybe the winner gets a RAER???????? Lol.

Two words that changed my life...

Weight Watchers!

Yeah, I used to weight 230 lbs. Now I'm a much slimmer 175 or so. I was down to 163 (and 14% bodyfat!) but gained some of it back. Been too hectic lately moving and rearranging shit in my life to really watch what I eat let alone cook and grocery shop all the time.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Use meat as a side dish, rather than the main course.. Eat lots of fruit in the mornings. Eat a big salad with light dressing once a day. And seriously, one of the best excercises that exists is walking. Go for a fast-paced walk once a day. (and hit some hills)

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I guess.. i'm not trying to be mean, but it's seriously always confused me.

Genetics play a large role in this too. A lot of thin people can really eat whatever they want and will always stay thin. Some people, myself included, have to watch what they eat carefully or they gain weight. I think people that are really heavy aren't always big eaters. They just consume maybe 200 or 300 extra calories a day that they shouldn't. It takes about 3000 calories to gain a pound. Less if you are pretty inactive. At these numbers someone could gain 35 lbs in a year.

• About this 6-8 meals a day thing..

Can someone post what they eat on a typical day under this regimen?

ps. I stopped drinking sodas a couple of months ago and have dropped almost 10 pounds just from that.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    How do people get so fat?

I just don't understand it really.

You see, its really because most of us are incredibly lazy and discusting people that just dont care. That, and were also quite stupid.

Really, what kind of answer are you looking for here?

It had crossed my mind that in America, there would be a good proportion of people who'd be afraid to give that answer, because it's true. Lots in Australia too.

god damn dude, please to keep to yourself in the future.

dickface.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Use meat as a side dish, rather than the main course..

Hey! I like my meat. As long as it's responsibly produced I want lots of it. Offer me a good asado and I'm happier than a pig in shit (even one who's about to be slaughtered for a future asado).

• the key is AEROBIC EXERCISE (walking, jogging, running, biking, swimming, etc). The kind of stuff that gets the heart pumping and makes you sweat and burn up calories/sugar/fat. Weightlifting just makes your muscles bigger, which can make you look fatter if you're not burning off the fat. knowhatimean?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ps. I stopped drinking sodas a couple of months ago and have dropped almost 10 pounds just from that.

weird, I dropped soda in order to gain weight.

Something about the carbonation giving you a false sense of being full,

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey DeeRock,

I feel your pain, brotha!!! A few months ago, I had that "in the mirror" moment where I was like "This is disgusting. I gotta get this weight off". Plus, approaching 40 years old in 4 years, it's time to get my weight down. I have been walking 5 days a week and eating right (which I've always done outside of the occasional Whopper and sweets), and as a result, I've lost 40 pounds. All it takes is consistency in terms of eating and exercising. Plus, I'm thinking about longevity, so getting the weight off and stopping smoking (which I'm also doing) are a must. Big up to health!!!! Good luck, man, I'm rooting for you!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    About this 6-8 meals a day thing..

Can someone post what they eat on a typical day under this regimen?

in order from morning to night:

grains - oatmeal / musli / granola (with fruit topping or yogurt) - soy milk / rice milk or the best Almond milk

bagel - multigrain or flax - no butter / margerine - use an organic soy spread or smoked salmon

fruit smoothy - banana's pineapple starwberries etc w wheat grass

salad - use lemon and apple cider vinegar intsead of dressing put sesame seeds / pine nuts on it as well or maybe some tuna / sardines or shredded fresh raw milk cheese

trail mix / nuts with fruit (cranberries / raisons)

organic pasta / salad - try and get organic soybean pasta

musli / granola w fruit / yogurt

you can throw in random apples / oranges / bananas throughout the day.

also don't forget about melons.

i also treat myself to tasty shit throughout the week.. maybe a bean borrito or roti, the occasional pad thai or pizza slice (always whole wheat crust no cheese or meat)

drink at least 6 - 10 glasses of water throughout the day... add lemon to the water or chlorofil to mix up the taste

you should also attempt to go a minimum of 10 hours between the last meal of the day and the first meal to optimise digestion / weight loss.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've always been fit but my trainging is this.

Run 3 miles 3 times a week at 5.5MPH @ an incline of 10 or higher. This is much less gnarly on your knees if you have knee issues. It's all about running slow uphill. Much better muscle/cardio workout.

I swin 1 mile at least once a week during the summer.

I do nautilus lifting 2 times a week.

Food:

I eat whatever. Anything except fast & fried food.

I do nautilus lifting 2 times a week.

word

if you're goin to go to the gym this is the one thing you should definatly be doing!!

anytime you're lifting you're own body weight shit is getting DONE

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Yes, all fat people are lazy and stupid.

Yet people who have never had to deal with either the issue of weight/size or some of the issues that can lead to weight gain like to feel smug and self-satifsfied that they are not "stupid and lazy". Many folks dealing with serious weight issues are often doing so because of medical issues(diabetes, kidney problems, the list goes on)and you would never know that just by looking at them. But to many people, their weight automatically brands them "lazy and stupid". Some people are just BIG, just like some people are more diminutive. For us BIG folks, weight is always an issue. But it's our issue, it really does not need skinny folks' opinion on our waist size unless you happen to be my doctor.

Anyway, Dee, sorry this thread went from 'what can us big folks do to get into better shape' to 'why are fat people so lazy?', but you can count me in. I need some (positive)motivation on the daily to drop some weight. I am in the same position you were in last year, and the fact that you dropped so much is really impressive and inspires me a lot. I know a couple other friends of mine on this board who are of similar mindsets and really want to attack the excess. So onward and downward!

Exactly. As for the whole "lazy and stupid" thing, add to that being Hawaiian, and I'm sure a lot of people think I'm the dumbest ass on the planet. I don't want to add a stereotype to existing stereotypes, but boom, there it is. I love food, that's all there is too it.

Moderation? Health? Ha, for years I could care less. But you know, I don't want to make this a personal story, that's not what this thread is about. I'm about to walk my two miles in a bit. Push on.

word GREAT THREAD

diet is like 90% of the battle.

Tell me about it. Exercise gets easier, once there is momentum. I think I said it in my original reply here, but I've been walking for five weeks, I'm about to start on my sixth. While walking isn't the ONLY way to lose weight, it is one way to keep active and keep moving.

It's the food that does and can drag you down.

I love my soda though, and I switched to diet after being diagnosed with Type II diabetes four years ago. Yet I found out last week that there's a stimulant in diet coke that's supposed to make you eat more. That might be a no-brainer for some people, but I didn't know that. So for the last few weeks I've been laying off the soda to see how it goes. I drink A LOT of water, I love juice but don't drink a lot of it due to the sugars, and even some of the "light" juices I stay away from because it can get kinda up there with price.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Taking concern about your health is a real good look.

Bigups to everyone that's trying to stay regimented and healthy.

I'm going to start a diet that basically consists of not eating anything after 8pm. A friend of mine swears by this. He lost a lot of weight that way, and didn't even really change his diet that much. Just stopped eating late night styles.

I don't think I could keep up one of those 8 meals a day, crazy musli/bran/granola hippy diets. Not because the food ain't good... but because my schedule is just not that regular, and I don't have $$$ for groceries like that.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Johmbolaya (and others),

Actually, weight is only PART of the issue. The PRIMARY issue is cardiovascular health. I'm a big dude no doubt, but I probably have better cardio health than most on this board (e.g., low cholesterol, clear arteries, good blood pressure, etc.) despite the fact that I smoked a few years (Bad!!!!!). Large size does not guarantee bad cardiovascular health, as NFL players (particularly lineman and linebackers) debunk this myth. Of course, genetics are an antecedent to cardio health as well. A key concern is also your personal history, and for myself, I've always been athletic by running, playing basketball, and weight training. I picked up weight a few years ago by not remaining active after getting married. If you have been inactive a large part of your life, bad eating habits and excess weight will take their toll on your health as you age.

So, the point of my rant is to remain active to maintain cardiovascular health, and not respond to some society-driven obsession with thinness. Plus, regular exercise and good diet will help keep the weight off anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey DeeRock,

I feel your pain, brotha!!! A few months ago, I had that "in the mirror" moment where I was like "This is disgusting. I gotta get this weight off". Plus, approaching 40 years old in 4 years, it's time to get my weight down. I have been walking 5 days a week and eating right (which I've always done outside of the occasional Whopper and sweets), and as a result, I've lost 40 pounds. All it takes is consistency in terms of eating and exercising. Plus, I'm thinking about longevity, so getting the weight off and stopping smoking (which I'm also doing) are a must. Big up to health!!!! Good luck, man, I'm rooting for you!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

There we go. I have lost 50 pounds before and that felt great. I would like to be able to do that again.

I don't drink or smoke, never have. Food has been the killer. I said in my last post that I wasn't going to get personal, but I want to mention this.

Four years ago, I went to have a dentist check-up, which I hadn't in a long time. I didn't take advantage of the dental insurance I was able to have through my job, so when I did, I wanted an appointment. I get there, my gums were bleeding, and they refused to check my teeth. I was told I had to have a doctor appointment, which I hadn't had in years too. But I felt okay, I'm 30, it's better to be brave about it than to avoid anything, and I did. Doctor told me I should get my blood checked. A week or two later, I go back for the results, and the doctor goes "you know you have diabetes, right?" Um... no. To sum it up, he told me that I would not make it to 40 if I didn't make serious changes to my lifestyle. It was like a Spike Lee moment, I could hear someone telling me Wake The Fuck Up![/b]

For anyone who may think they're invincible, you're not. When I was a news producer, I always put up great health stories, and somehow I stored that information, but never really thought if it applying to me. When I hear about a medical report, I may want to read up about it. The science of the body is interesting. I'm not into it like I am about music, but to know the basics: in other words, don't be ignorant about your weight and health. I don't know how my body would react if I lost 50, 100, or even 150 pounds. But I want to be healthier, and I want to live longer. Perhaps I've already lived half of my life, but for the second half, I want to enjoy it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Hey Johmbolaya (and others),

Actually, weight is only PART of the issue. The PRIMARY issue is cardiovascular health. I'm a big dude no doubt, but I probably have better cardio health than most on this board (e.g., low cholesterol, clear arteries, good blood pressure, etc.) despite the fact that I smoked a few years (Bad!!!!!). Large size does not guarantee bad cardiovascular health, as NFL players (particularly lineman and linebackers) debunk this myth. Of course, genetics are an antecedent to cardio health as well. A key concern is also your personal history, and for myself, I've always been athletic by running, playing basketball, and weight training. I picked up weight a few years ago by not remaining active after getting married. If you have been inactive a large part of your life, bad eating habits and excess weight will take their toll on your health as you age.

So, the point of my rant is to remain active to maintain cardiovascular health, and not respond to some society-driven obsession with thinness. Plus, regular exercise and good diet will help keep the weight off anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Good points, Stacks. I think I speak for many of us bigger cats when I say that obsession with 'thin' is not where we are at or what motivates us. If you are a big guy or gal, you KNOW that 'thin' is relative. Healthy and proportionate is what I want in my life, not thin. It's nice to fantasize about strolling into a thrift store and fitting into anything, but even on my thinnest day, that ain't gonna happen!

I'm going to start a diet that basically consists of not eating anything after 8pm. A friend of mine swears by this. He lost a lot of weight that way, and didn't even really change his diet that much. Just stopped eating late night styles.

I used to be a big late night eater. When I'm out of town, whether it's to buy records or go to a show, I will usually stop at a Jack In The Box or whatever is open and grab something. I don't do that on a regular basis (fortunately), but do I really need to eat at 1 or 2am? No. But it's there. It's taking that out of the equation.

As for not eating after 8pm, I read one study which suggested not eating after 6pm, or at least to not eat four hours before sleep. I've tried that a few times, only to snack on something. 8pm works for me though, and at that point I'm just drinking water.

Good points, Stacks. I think I speak for many of us bigger cats when I say that obsession with 'thin' is not where we are at or what motivates us. If you are a big guy or gal, you KNOW that 'thin' is relative. Healthy and proportionate is what I want in my life, not thin. It's nice to fantasize about strolling into a thrift store and fitting into anything, but even on my thinnest day, that ain't gonna happen!

As someone who worked at a thrift store for a full two days, trust me when I say that rarely happens anyway. But yeah, I'm a T-shirt kinda guy, and I'll "dress nice" when it's appropriate. Dates, wedding, funeral, 7am yard sales. But the moment something bigger than XL comes in, it's immediately stored to the side, rarely hitting the floor.

like i said before it's the time between the last and first meals that counts not what time the last meal was.

if you eat your last meal at 11pm then you should try to go till at lease 9am the next morning before you eat again.

the main reason to not eat after 8pm is that most people eat first thing when they get up in the morning which could be as little as 8 - 9 hours after their last meal the day before.

if your meals are small and you go for a walk after the meal then time doesnt matter.

i usually have a bowl of granola or some fruit around 10pm... but then i don't eat anything till at least 10am / 11 am the next morning.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I thought it looked like you were slimmed down a lot, Dee Rock. That's good, mane. Being healthy is what's up. My wife just got me onto her Bally's membership as an anniversary present, so I'm trying to get back into proper shape (as in getting rid of the love handles and trying to make my 6-pack visible again... it's still there, it's just not visible).

I have never had a huge problem with my weight, but at times it does go up a little higher than I'm comfortable with. I know a lot of big people who have serious weight issues will disagree, but I'm always gonna believe that it's all in your mind. Unless you have a serious medical problem that's getting in the way, I think almost anybody should be able to lose weight if they seriously dedicate themselves to it. Not saying that it's easy, but if your mind is in the right place it's definitely possible. As someone said earlier, you have to almost trick yourself into being disgusted by sweets, fast foods and all the bad stuff.

As much as I used to love (and still do love) Wendy's, Checkers, all kinds of junk foods and sodas, etc., about 10 years ago I just went cold turkey on all that shit. I was eating nothing but beans, rice, salads, skinless chicken breasts, tuna, fruit, shit like that. No sodas, only water and Crystal Light. Went from close to 220 down to 175 in no time, all kinds of muscle definition, abs, the whole nine. It wasn't even really hard. Only problem was I was weak as hell from that diet shit... if I'da got stole on, I would've been finished! And I looked hard like a mug with my shirt off, but in my clothes I was looking like a skinny ass crack fiend. Dudes who hadn't seen me in awhile were like, "yo... you sure you ain't sick?" So that was it for me with the extreme dieting.

Now I'm just trying to eat as healthy as possible, hit the gym a couple of times a week, do push ups, run up and down my stairs about 10-15 times in a row (that shit can take a lot out of you!), etc. I'm still gonna eat some bad stuff at Wendy's a couple of times a week, but at least they have nice little side salads I can order along with the classic single combo.

• Large size does not guarantee bad cardiovascular health, as NFL players (particularly lineman and linebackers) debunk this myth.

Lot of these ex-NFL'ers don't make it past 55,60. High bp, enlarged heart, heart disease adds up and ultimatly proves fatal.

That said, being broke AND a terrible cook is a great way to lose weight.

Little food + manual labor + bike as primary transportation = trim, fit, shabbily dressed gentleman about town.

Perhaps learning how to feel somewhat hungry without going into a panic to consume whatever is handy is something dudes looking to trim up might work on. Ask yourself if you're eating for energy/ fuel or just eating to get that 'full' feeling? Is the food really that tasty?

Or shit, I was trapped in an airport bar last week watching that Coney Island/ Nathan's competitive cheese fry eating on the 50 tv's aimed at me. That shit will put you off food for awhile - Good God.

Large size does not guarantee bad cardiovascular health, as NFL players (particularly lineman and linebackers) debunk this myth.

Lot of these ex-NFL'ers don't make it past 55,60. High bp, enlarged heart, heart disease adds up and ultimatly proves fatal.

True, but they usually maintain their large caloric intake without corresponding exercise after they retire, which would lead to poor cardiovascular health. This issue was addressed on an episode of "Real Sports" (on HBO) a few years ago. That's why I say exercise (and good diet) are the key despite your size. If your heart is strong, you'll live!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Probably my biggest problem is my appetite. I'm a fucking human vacuum cleaner.

I'm sure this is because I don't eat throughout the day like I should. Another problem for me is that I drive around all day for work. I spend most of my time in the hoods, and we all know that there's nothing but McD's, Taco Bell, etc. for you to choose from.

It's time to start packing lunches.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    preme,
    know canada's in yer bad books these dayz, but you really out to pow wow with the one and only mr. rumble on this. you seen that skinny fool in the last couple years. dude is a mean, lean, b-boy dj'ing machine... and he's stayed that way on the reg...
    for real,
    sip

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It's time to start packing lunches.

This is a serious plus when you are watching the diet.

And also a serious pain in the ass, which goes back to the lazy thing. I have found that the best benefit of dieting is imposing a discipline on yourself that involves food prep,etc. Problem is, it's the easiest thing to sidestep and slip on.

And yeah, food in the hood is seriously geared to quick and greasy, tasty and often bad for you. Oh WHY did God make fried fish so damn tasty?!

if you eat flax bagels, fruits, nuts, musli... where's the fruit prep people???

whipping up a salad is not exactly alot of work.. you eat half for dinner and pack the second half for tomorrow's lunch. grab a couple peces of fruit, some trail mix and head out the door.

if you feel hungry durring the day that's the whole point man!!

you will never loose any weight if you eat till you're full. you need to feel hungry between meals.

• Two years ago I broke up with a longtime girlfriend. X to next, turns out to be a pastry chef. Dood spends the winter making beats and eating new girls awesome cake, pastries, cookies .. all kinda dope shit. 35 pounds excess later, the springtime skate doesn't quite cut the pounds like it used to (31 years old will do it to ya!). Anyways, add a tour through the fall (I swear, touring is the #1 cause of fatassedness)... plus another winter of no activity/making beats.....

skinny dood = fat lazy shitheat.

Its now been three weeks on some every-other day hardcore routine, and I can already see/feel the difference. Moderate strength training and cardio for 20 minutes. Not a biggie. One hour every other day with cutting out the sugar, and eating more veggies. Water helps. I don't think its gonna take that long... but damn man, this shit really sucks!

First day, I thought my heart was gonna pop outta my chest with the puke plum sauce.

Two weeks in, I still feel sick after the workout, but its getting easier to life the weights.

I love sugar.