Soulstrut Fit Club .............

124»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    political aside:
    the way i see it, eating whole foods (ideally local, small farm)...whether it be fruit, veggie, meat, grain, etc... is not only a surefire way to health and potency, but also a way to opt out of babylon corporate food industry. Very sorry, but Kraft ADM Monsanto and company dont have consumers best interests in mind. think of gandhi leading people to the ocean to make salt, instead of getting it from the british.
    think global act local. eat that good shit.

I would suggest people look into this seriously. Being in a farm town, I shunned this place for every reason, when many of the answers were literally in my backyard. I have access to a farmer's market, and I go there every other week. You also get to meet the people whose farms were used to grow the crops, or the people who picked them. Ten years ago, I would've laughed in your face about wanting to go to a farmer's market, but in terms of corn, tomatoes, and whatever fruit crops are available, that's THE best way to buy them. A lot of times they were picked that morning.

I wrote about it elsewhere, but there are loads of food organizations and communities in the Pacific Northwest, including an area either in Olympia or Seattle where the entire school district is serviced by a group of farmers. They said no to soft drink endorsements and yes to eating healthy. I remember when I moved from Honolulu and went into the 9th grade, I had never seen a juice machine in a school. (Then again back home, in intermediate school we could buy a piece of cake or pie along with our lunch, and for someone who never tried a Boston Cream Pie, that was a big deal.)

I wish I had the links to all the different organizations I looked into, but it was all about those who are "foodies", and take their food seriously. It also happened after I read Fast Food Nation.

• bolaya,

let the blood flow, this is a message board for the message bored. no need to strain your dome.

have a snickers sunday cone on a monday and relax

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bolaya,

let the blood flow, this is a message board for the message bored. no need to strain your dome.

da fuck is your problem?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    bolaya,

C'mon, Dude...Why come @ John like that?

• yo for real though, my weakness has always been the abs. i cant get into a good routine that doesnt make my back hurt. so i traditionally ignored working on them

• Options
    To be honest, I don't have the greatest willpower when it comes to food either - I can eat more than just about anyone I know. That said, weights, vertical push-ups, burpees and my bike keep me skinny (6'4" 215-220).

K.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    bolaya,

C'mon, Dude...Why come @ John like that?

Ok, everyone...just chill...I think both J*hn and I took Lotus a tad too seriously on the come up, but it is an easy thing to take personal. I don't think there's any hard feelings intended by any of this, I know not on my end, and J*hn is most definetly someone with a sense of humor.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    ^^

yep, get on the bike fella's - I'm with KL in the 'no car' brigade

one of the most dumb founding things I've seen this year was a friends flatmate driving all of 500-600 metres to get takeaways on a friday night (slim female for the record) the mentality of some !

• bike = liberation (from stoplights)

ive been getting much use out of the homemade bike cart this summer.
    i can haul 4 5 gallon water cooler jugs on em, no problemo

• edubedub 715 Posts
    bike = liberation (from stoplights)

ive been getting much use out of the homemade bike cart this summer.
    i can haul 4 5 gallon water cooler jugs on em, no problemo

you got one of these??

Doode, I once got pulled over by a cop because I ran a stop sign on my bike... best believe you still have to obey common traffic rules.

I don't condone bicyclist who will just cruise through a 4-way stop intersection, just because they think only the cars have to stop.

I ride a motorcycle, as well as a bicycle, and haven't owned a car in 10 years... but safety first, my friend

• ive been told im a very poor cyclist. fuck em. i weave through traffic with no hands and dont get hit.

when i was traveling i got pulled over by cops in portland, bay area, LA... going through lights, no helmet, going up a one way street (?!?!). i got out each time by saying i was just visiting from philly and out there theres no rules. theyd check my ID and let me go everytime (couple warning citations actually)
    i definitely should be more safety conscious though.
    first time i met lazerwolf he sent me to the mac machine on his bike and outfitted me with a gigantic styrofoam helmet. pretty dope.

my cart attaches to the back. so i guess its a trailer. its saved me from many a drive.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

i definitely should be more safety conscious though.

true that - accidents happen fast, and a helmet might just safe yer life one day should the worst case scenario occur. I take it pretty easy these days - go the back streets, avoid traffic, hit up the footpaths where they're wide, ensure the batteries in my lights are working, give way to cars in 'dodge' situations etc etc

My closest near death experience came from riding no hands - it was several years ago, was approaching this roundabout, no worries, suddenly a car stops in the middle of the roundabout to let some kids cross. I basically ended up doing a railslide along the boot of this guys BMW with my butt, whilst the end of the handle bars also slid slong the rear of the boot, denting it like a mo-fo, I popped out the other side still on the bike & couldn't belive it - neither could the kids .. the dude tried to chase me down but I bolted it down a sidestreet, ommpff

• Watch Taxi Driver, and go into Travis Bickle mode.
    "No more bad foods, no more destroyers of my body... From now on 50 push ups, 50 pull ups... etc..."

Peep this...
    I just had a physical today (by the way, always a good idea b4 starting your serious diet) and I weighed in at a hefty 248lbs with clothes on.
    HOLY FUCK !! That ruined my day.
    I'm 5'10. Somehow I still manage to squeeze into 36 pants & XL shirts. WTF.
    Anyhow, ordered up the bloodwork to get the cholesterol, thyroid, etc.. all checked out. I'm sure I'll be good, but gotta play it safe.
    Once you pass 30+yrs old, good idea to get checked out regularly. Naaah mean!

I'm bout to hit that Keto diet & be about some Water from here on out.
    Goal is reach 200lbs, X-mas is my deadline (and that is not a season you wanna try diet'ing in)..
    Thats about a 2lb a week rate, pretty reasonable for me.
    I tend to lose 10 or more 1st couple weeks of a keto diet.
    That shit is murder.

Judge your progress by your BMI (body mass), not lbs you lose a week.
    That is very frustrating & not a good way to measure progress.
    Figure out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) & then build your caloric intake around that.

Also, track what you eat. Learn to do that.
    **** One of my early secrets till I got on track was this:

www.fitday.com
    You can track your progress & even let other people see!!!
    It is a dope site! Calculates all your shit & charts your everyday progress.

Ok diet..
    Yes - reduce calories, Low carbs, no sugars or little as possible, moderate sodium, lots of water, high protein, increase your fiber too.
    Do eat lean meats, fish, tuna, good veggies, but no fried foods, no juice, no beer, etc... Try red wine or vodka when you gotta drink.

Far as eggs, I used to eat 8-10+ eggs a day (well egg whites, maybe 1 or 2 yolks).
    I only eat 4-6 now. Once I start on my strength training roll, I will be back up to 8-10 every am along with some turkey.
    If you wanna get strong, it's good to eat them eggs.
    You can always buy Egg Beaters too.

Many grocery stores & health stores too (peep Trader Joes) sell lean meat cuts & fish already lightly seaosned ready to cook. Stock up on them shits!
    Toss them in your George Foreman, add a can of string beans & you're set.

1 more BIG help is to prepare all your foods the nite before or a day before.
    So the next day, you got all your food ready to go.
    Tupperware with meats, tuna, eggs, etc...
    Just take that shit with you wherever you go.
    Thats how I did it when I made my big drop.

For the dudes with supposedly no time, DJ'ing whatever.
    1 word... Discipline!
    I was same way, I made time.
    Bout to make time again.

And yes to the guys speakin' it, Americans are some fat overeatin ass glutton mother effers. Sounds mean but it's true. Shit I was a big over eater for a long time myself.
    We are a nation of processed/bad food & oversized portions.
    Every now & then is cool, but in moderation only.
    I can't understand fat obese people eatin at Coldstone or Burger King, then complaining about sittin in the ER with diabetes or heart probs.

I rarely eat fast food, if at all these days - BUT, Burritos & Taquerias at 12am are still my downfall.

To all the fat rotund dudes - you don't gotta get skinny.
    Some dudes just love to eat, fuck it, be big - but be big & strong.
    You can be big & still look diesel'ish.
    Hit them weights & switch up the diet a bit.
    Watch your cholesterol.

PS: Put up goals y'all & reward each other with raers when you hit your milestones.
    Check out that Fitday.com site !

I'm no expert but I did exactly what y'all wanna do & am about to do it again.

And fuck, throw some Ephedrine & Caffeine in the mix if you really wanna go into overdrive.

• Options

Watch Out Now Tone, K.

• tren bolo,
    youre definitely my new soulstrut hero.
    but thats a shitload of eggs there, buddy

best diet advice i have EVER heard:
    Watch Taxi Driver, and go into Travis Bickle mode.

kL...thas a nasty shoulder scrape. whats wrong with the hand though? looks healthy.
    you rock the helmut?

• Options
    That was only minutes after it happened. Turns out I busted a couple bones in my hand (my fifth "boxers fracture") - it became a lot bigger/colorful. I meant to tranfer the pic of my elbow (my friend call it "saucebow" or "swellbow", because of the ever present scab that keeps getting ripped off during ball).

Funny enough, I only wear a helmet in the forest and since my Brodie got folded a couple years ago, I don't ride off-trail any more.

K.

• tren bolo,
    youre definitely my new soulstrut hero.
    but thats a shitload of eggs there, buddy

best diet advice i have EVER heard:
    Watch Taxi Driver, and go into Travis Bickle mode.
    kL...thas a nasty shoulder scrape. whats wrong with the hand though? looks healthy.
    you rock the helmut?

Yes... Peace to all - lurker out the box.
    This site is loaded with fun.

Of course ya aint gotta eat as many eggs as I was/will.
    Do what suits ya. I was at a point where I was damn near gagging on egg whites.
    Thats when it's time to switch it up a bit.

It all depends on your goals.
    My goal was 'body recomposition', which meant not so much lose weight but more to lose fat & gain muscle instead, hard to do both at same time, but you can with diet.
    It worked for me.
    Once you get more muscle, you fat stores get taxed more.
    So even when you aint dieting or workin out hard, your furnace is still on.
    Get that furnace going & you will transform.

I know vegans HATE me, but it's all gravy.
    I'll eat the fuck outta some chicken & eggs,

Oh yes I am....

• haha .....swellbow

KL,i forgot you play ball. i wonder how many soulstrut brethren get down on the court?
    my game is rusty, but i was reigning threes down at the park yesterday.
    funny, but whats off about my game the most has been rebounding. i lose that sixth sense on the glass. but yall fitness mavericks have inspired me to get my ballgame back in shape.
    -manila malone

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I break three times a week - we train for at least a couple hours, but by the end the drums are still going and the adrenaline is so high that you don't want to stop.

Who wants to go to the gym and just stare at a wall with shitty music blaring away? Total motivation killer.

Hell yeah. Breakbeats have motivated me more than anything. Seriously, I don't know what I would be doing to stay in shape without SOUL in my life. All Things | Record Related

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

its beautiful stress relief. i get high off cooking up some marvelous shit. some music playing on the fisher price and shit. for real, i'll cook a big pot of whatever that will leave leftovers for 2-3 days/lunches/etc.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Here's some irony for you:

I googled 'Ghostface" (*PASUE*) to find an image to use for my post above. The first image I decided to use brought me right back to the 'Strut (via a Classified thread from The Non.)

SOULSTRUT IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD.

Herm

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I know we were on the subject of eating right etc. a few weeks back. Two summers ago I weighed 300lbs., last summer I was at 219lbs. and this summer I'm at 239lbs. Time to start losing again! I would like to be under 200lbs. even if it's 199lbs. just so I'm not 200lbs. I was eating good and exercising and I remember on my b-day last year I wanted a slice of cake. My girl brought me a whole cake! So of course over the course of two weeks ended up eating the whole thing, then slowly but surely eating bad again altogether and realize it's been another year passed and I can feel the 20lbs. I packed on! So I figure with the help of the soulstrut fam we can do a soulstrut "Fit Club" and that way I can lose with the help and support of y'all and maybe some of y'all have to lose a few too? Maybe the winner gets a RAER???????? Lol.

Yup As soon as I get get over this pulled calf I'll be back and serious as shit, I can't stand it no ball for a week strait now.... & I put on pounds quick, try to cut back but to tough... I also have cut back on my coffe in take... I fully belive that it was one of the causes why I pulled my muscle... More water!

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Matthew Herbert just got a record out called Plat du Jour. The album will include tracks made from a grain of sugar, 30,000 chickens, a salmon farm, the sewers below London and water. He has written an article about why he made this album. Talking about healthy food and all, you should check it out:

http://www.platdujour.co.uk/introduction.php?theme=1

For example, at a restaurant, do you choose white bread, which may be nutritionally poorer for you than brown bread - or do you choose brown bread which contains 5 times the amount of pesticide residues?

Why are we expected to make that decision? At the very point we need clear advice and leadership, we are set adrift by governments afraid to criticise such large companies. At the same time, radical shifts in eating habits have taken place in the last 20 years. Food that used to be considered treats, for special occasions or one-offs, have become staples. What children's menu at a restaurant doesn't contain chips? Whereas frosties used to be the exception in breakfast cereals, sugar-coating has become industry standard. Standard frosties now containing 38% sugar. The unholy trinity of the cheap restaurant - the freezer, the microwave and the deep fat fryer - has replaced the family mealtime. The industry's unholy trinity for cheap food - sugar, salt and fat - has replaced the traditions of locally grown, seasonal produce from grocers, markets, butchers and bakers, squeezed out of high streets by supermarkets.

We have handed over control of what goes in to our bodies to faceless transnational companies, operating in a geographical no-man's land. It is no surprise then that world health is in crisis, with over-eating in the west becoming more of a problem than under-eating. In America, children have a lower life expectancy than their parents. And yet, the American template for modern food has long been at the front line of its empirical ambitions: McDonalds went to russia long before the tourists did; Starbucks has been successful in many countries previously thought impervious to its homogenised view of coffee; the hamburger, designed in part by a man who thought vegetables were to be avoided, is now a staple part of so many global menus.

Check out the music as well.

• Alright, I went skating today for 4 hours. Third time this week. The Cove in Santa Monica is a blast.

Lance Mountain Santa Monica, CA 2005

Tuma throws one.

Pumping around the bowls, jumping over pyramids, and all that is a crazy work out. I feel sore but good.

Now if I can only get to those push ups and sit ups.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    3:00AM I will be starving and hit up denny's and seriously throw down. Then go home and go right to sleep. Not good at all and is why the weight is creeping back.

i feel you on that. i did that for 23 years of my life. i'm in good physical shape, but that tiny amount of fat on my stomach is kinda wack. so i'm eating slightly lighter at night now. i LOVE to eat, but sacrificies need to be made.