Soulstrut Fit Club .............

Comments

• Yeah man motivation motivation motivation..... unfortunantly we all can't get our belly's stapled like "dj you know who". Its hard work to get healthy and it really takes a strong will, motivation by friends is key and roommates are also good for the "team" mentalitly.....

Here is a question... for those of us that have a full time job and DJ where do you find time to work out? what are the regiments for people like us?

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    the key is AEROBIC EXERCISE (walking, jogging, running, biking, swimming, etc). The kind of stuff that gets the heart pumping and makes you sweat and burn up calories/sugar/fat. Weightlifting just makes your muscles bigger, which can make you look fatter if you're not burning off the fat. knowhatimean?

Also - find something you love to do. Pickup basketball games, tennis with someone you want to beat, yoga classes full of hot flexible girls, b-boying, martial arts, find a running partner.

I do capoeira three times a week - we train for at least a couple hours, but by the end the drums are still going and the adrenaline is so high that you don't want to stop.

Who wants to go to the gym and just stare at a wall with shitty music blaring away? Total motivation killer.

• Here is a question... for those of us that have a full time job and DJ where do you find time to work out? what are the regiments for people like us?

That is the really, really difficult part. I guess it's just a matter of how important it is to you/being sick and tired of being out of shape. You don't have to work out two hours a day or anything crazy like that. Find a workout routine that you can see yourself sticking to--be honest with yourself about it.

And although not cheap, a personal trainer--at least a few sessions to get you started--is incredibly helpful.

'Preme, a membership at 24-Hour Fitness would be a good look for a baller such as yourself. They have all kinds of fitness programs there, depending on what your goals are. And I'm quite sure you'd relish the opportunity to watch women work out.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts

the thing is everytime after i do exercise i just get so hungry again and ended up eating more

of course... but what do you eat then? that's what really mathers. there's no point in exercising if you continue eating garbage. i would say the right food is just as important as the exercising.

• How do people get so fat?

I just don't understand it really.

in my town i see the nastiest shit happen on a daily.

one thing i know for sure is that fat people like to eat ice cream, drink soda, get fucked up, drink beer, eat fast food, whole stick of butter per pancake ratio, not excersice, daytime tv like a motherfucker, taping daytime tv so they can watch at night, satellite hook ups, onion rings, extra cheese, peanut butter shakes, vodka and oreos, sweatpants. i'd like to think it was just the glands, but i've learned it is actually just raw stupidity as well as glands.

or i love that girl in the mcdonalds documentary, "maybe i could lose weight if i could afford to eat subway" it's called bread and lunchmeat with lettuce and vegetables, not subway.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    one thing i know for sure is that fat people like to eat ice cream, drink soda, get fucked up, drink beer, eat fast food, whole stick of butter per pancake ratio, not excersice, daytime tv like a motherfucker, taping daytime tv so they can watch at night, satellite hook ups, onion rings, extra cheese, peanut butter shakes, vodka and oreos, sweatpants. i'd like to think it was just the glands, but i've learned it is actually just raw stupidity as well as glands.

In other words, thin people fuck and make money, right?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    How do people get so fat?

I just don't understand it really.

in my town i see the nastiest shit happen on a daily.

or i love that girl in the mcdonalds documentary, "maybe i could lose weight if i could afford to eat subway" it's called bread and lunchmeat with lettuce and vegetables, not subway.

Wasnt it enough to have one asshole on this thread.

• Woah, woah people. What Tom speaks is the truth. I mean, not to generalize because of course not every person who is overweight is so because they eat fast food three meals a day... but I digress...

Many friends of mine who are overweight drink a soda with breakfast. Steak dinner. Cuban sandwich for lunch. McDonalds in between. My eating habits are not the best, but I have a fast metabolism though... quit acting like dude is an asshole for pointing out that dietary discipline is necessary.

For all members of the board who are experiencing weight problems, are those problems completely independent of your diet? Is one an asshole for kindly stating, hey _____, might want to lay off that ice cream?

Sorry I'm not the most PC dude in the world but our country's obesity problem isn't just glands and genes (or even primarily). Sorry, but that's just the truth. I'm supposed to feel bad because you can't lay off that extra slice of cake? Saying lol saying

Sorry I'm not the most PC dude in the world but our country's obesity problem isn't just glands and genes (or even primarily). Sorry, but that's just the truth. I'm supposed to feel bad because you can't lay off that extra slice of cake? Saying lol saying

I agree I thought the insinuation of stupidity was the real insult. Sure a lot of overweight people could give a fuck, but obviously a lot of overweight people work real hard to lose weight with little success. Its not easy for everyone to lose weight. Not all overweight people are lazy and stupid. That???s an insulting generalization. This thread is a testament to that fact that a lot of people work to lose weight, and dont just watch TV all day.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Here is a question... for those of us that have a full time job and DJ where do you find time to work out? what are the regiments for people like us?

You know that tie you spend watching TV, or checkingEbay or wondering when you'll have time to work out...thats the time you should be getting your aerobics on.

I work 20 miles form my place and with LA traffic it means nearly a 2 hour drive both ways turning my normal 9 hour workday into somethi gcloser to a 13 hour total trek. I had to buy myself exercise equiptment so I could work out at home and not fit into the hours of a gym. Lifting weights at 2 am while stoned with the moder soul blasting is suxch a good look in West Covina.

but for those with the money and a need to do other types of exercises I like this advice from Ross hogg:

'Preme, a membership at 24-Hour Fitness would be a good look for a baller such as yourself. They have all kinds of fitness programs there, depending on what your goals are. And I'm quite sure you'd relish the opportunity to watch women work out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Woah, woah people. What Tom speaks is the truth. I mean, not to generalize because of course not every person who is overweight is so because they eat fast food three meals a day... but I digress...

Many friends of mine who are overweight drink a soda with breakfast. Steak dinner. Cuban sandwich for lunch. McDonalds in between. My eating habits are not the best, but I have a fast metabolism though... quit acting like dude is an asshole for pointing out that dietary discipline is necessary.

For all members of the board who are experiencing weight problems, are those problems completely independent of your diet? Is one an asshole for kindly stating, hey _____, might want to lay off that ice cream?

How raer is it that me and Johnny Paycheck are in complete agreement?

I've heard plenty of people lash out at folks for commenting on weight issues, but I haven't heard anyone say "I do exercise, eat right, and take care of myself yes I'm still getting fat".

I understand that your metabolism slowing down is a major bitch but that only means you got to work that much harder at staying on your physical game. Besides once you get your body into the habit of exercise and proper food it tends to work with you. You'd be amazed at how much better you'll feel 5 weeks into an exercise program as opposed to complainig about exercise and not doing it.

• What Tom speaks is the truth.

believe johnny bwoy!! i'm in the middle of buttered up artery just watching it all go down. i live in milwaukee wisconsin, home of the original fatburger.

like i said, i used to give most overweight people the benefit of the doubt (and still do) but damn i have seen many a crime commited in these parts. i'm definitely NOT trying to call out all overweight people!! hell no, i got fat for a couple years and there was nothing i could do about it!! so i know the other side.

but yeah, now that i'm thin again i just make money and fuck. and when i go to get my ice coffee at the spot i'm usually behind about 3 200+lb'ers getting their double mocha lattes and morning bun the size of the deathstar w' pat of butter. at least when i was fat i wasn't swilling vodka oreo daquiris. i was rocking a unitard with garbage bags underneath doing jumping jacks in the bathroom with the hot water on.

• Woah, woah people. What Tom speaks is the truth. I mean, not to generalize because of course not every person who is overweight is so because they eat fast food three meals a day... but I digress...

avoid processd foods. anyhting manufactured to stay on shelves generally has a lot of preservatives. preservatives often equals salt and sugar. high fructose corn syrup is dirt cheap for manufacturing, so its in everything. some claim that blacks and latinos don't metabolize it well.
    partially hydrogenated oils is another preservative found in everything. check the labels. in 2006 all processed food with partially hydrogenated oils (aka transfats) are going to have to label their shit. partially hydrogenated oils are a laboratory manufactured piece of bullshit. avoid.

basically, cook with real, whole foods. avoid processed foods.

the problem is, american culture is pretty much all about highly processed foods. so johnny isnt wrong by saying its allabout self control, but it isnt just cake that people have to watch for. ever check the salt and sodium in ketchup? crackers, cereal, juices, breads, condiments....never ending list of shit with terrible ingredients.

high fructose corn syrup
    partially hydrogenated oils
    all kinds of sodiums
    check your cupboards and purge the wackness

whoever recommended to not eat eggs is a little suspect. personally, i dont eat them often. but they are widely recognized as ideal protein. just eat in moderation, 3-4 a week.

as far as people with hectic schedules...try to do a quick 20 minute routine before showering in the morning and a 20 minute routine at night. pushups, crunches, lunges, pullups...that pretty much works most of the body without weights. try to walk,bike instead of drive. have lots and lots of sex... a highly overlooked source of exercise. get your sweat on

i mean, for those who have to drive everywhere, work solely in an office and have no other time, one of your last connections to a naturally intended human existence is fucking...so try to focus on that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

i sure ain't gonna sit here and tell you that my weight issues are glandular or the result of this or that, but some people's problems are a lot more complex than that extra piece of cake, and even if they started out lazy or became that way after trying to lose weight and failing, it sure as fuck doesn't make them stupid. But not trying to tell you you need to feel bad about it either.
    It's their problem.

It's like trying to quit smoking, or quitting drinking, except your body NEEDS food, and most of us with weight problems have the biggest problems with moderation. You end up doing the bad things to your body even though it's not 'reasonable', but makes you feel better in the present and worse in the long term. Change is hard, that's all.Is it a problem largely of our own making? oft times, yes. Not asking for anyone's sympathy or special understanding, just please lay off with the stupidity routine to describe people's problems.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    but yeah, now that i'm thin again i just make money and fuck.

say hello to my new location.

and when i go to get my ice coffee at the spot i'm usually behind about 3 200+lb'ers getting their double mocha lattes and morning bun the size of the deathstar w' pat of butter. at least when i was fat i wasn't swilling vodka oreo daquiris. i was rocking a unitard with garbage bags underneath doing jumping jacks in the bathroom with the hot water on.

I went out with an old girlfriend a couple weeks back. Ain't seen her in nearly 2 years and in that time she put on like 50 pounds. We were friends before we linked up so we had that open talk relationship and she was complaining about how fat she's got.

We went out to eat, she decided Roscoe's house of chicken and waffles would be a good place to go, she ordered 3 waffles and 2 fried chicken breasts with a side of macaroni and eggs, but just to stay safe she got the diet coke.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

So, what form should the Soulstrut Fit Club take? Do we get raers if we meet certain fitness goals? Could we exchange workout tips? What about posting a workout mix/track listing?

h

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I was thin as a rail all up through high school. I lived with my pops who didn't have much money and expected a single grocery shopping trip to last a month when I would rifle through it in 10 days. So I learned portion control and maintained my slim build.

When I got to college it was all over. I had food court points that allowed me to stuff my face. So much good fucking food that I was denied living with my dad. I'd eat four big meals / day, desserts, extra mayo, cream cheese and butter on my bagels, the works. I thought I was invincible because I was always ribs sticking out skinny. Couple that with lots of beer and such and I went from 146 my freshman year to 200 by my Senior year. Suddenly I was sweatting alot and had love handles and a double chin. I didn't think much of it until the man boobs started to come in full effect.

Eventually, i just got smart about excercise and portion control and by 2001 I was down to a healthy 170. So -- I blame it on portion size for sure. I still eat pretty bad. Love pizza and burgers and the obligatory brewski after work... but I always manage to keep shit in check and lay off the (leaded) sodas.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    i was rocking a unitard with garbage bags underneath doing jumping jacks in the bathroom with the hot water on.

Such a good look right now.

• edubedub 715 Posts

avoid processd foods. anyhting manufactured to stay on shelves generally has a lot of preservatives. preservatives often equals salt and sugar. high fructose corn syrup is dirt cheap for manufacturing, so its in everything. some claim that blacks and latinos don't metabolize it well.
    partially hydrogenated oils is another preservative found in everything. check the labels. in 2006 all processed food with partially hydrogenated oils (aka transfats) are going to have to label their shit. partially hydrogenated oils are a laboratory manufactured piece of bullshit. avoid.

basically, cook with real, whole foods. avoid processed foods.[/b]

the problem is, american culture is pretty much all about highly processed foods. so johnny isnt wrong by saying its allabout self control, but it isnt just cake that people have to watch for. ever check the salt and sodium in ketchup? crackers, cereal, juices, breads, condiments....never ending list of shit with terrible ingredients.

high fructose corn syrup
    partially hydrogenated oils
    all kinds of sodiums
    check your cupboards and purge the wackness

whoever recommended to not eat eggs is a little suspect. personally, i dont eat them often. but they are widely recognized as ideal protein. just eat in moderation, 3-4 a week.

as far as people with hectic schedules...try to do a quick 20 minute routine before showering in the morning and a 20 minute routine at night. pushups, crunches, lunges, pullups...that pretty much works most of the body without weights. try to walk,bike instead of drive. have lots and lots of sex... a highly overlooked source of exercise. get your sweat on

i mean, for those who have to drive everywhere, work solely in an office and have no other time, one of your last connections to a naturally intended human existence is fucking...so try to focus on that.

REAL TALK!!... web page [/b]

just out of curiosity, how many here cook at home more than once a week? I'm not talking about heating upa frozen pizza - *real* cooking... from scratch!.. I know that shit takes time, but I've gotten into cooking with my girl, and probably cook our own dinner 6 days a week. Once you cook your own food, you can control exactly what goes into it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    drink coffee and take up smoking so you don't feel like eating

Cocaine and Ice Chips otherwise known as the super model diet.

• and even if they started out lazy or became that way after trying to lose weight and failing, it sure as fuck doesn't make them stupid. .

if an overweight person doesn't know that a double chai latte with a slice of 7 layer bar whitechocolate marblefluffed donuthole is going to hurt their weightloss situation, they are stupid. or you could say ignorant.

• tony larsen is the truth! i gotta write this stuff down.

i'm not so sure if it is all about metabolism or genetics. i think it is partially the modern consumer life style in america. don't want to oversimplify but when you drive down the road and on both sides of you for miles is nothing but fast food and fried foods and whatnot, odds are you are going to eat there. odds are if you eat there a lot you will be fat.

as a kid I used to be skinny as a twig. now i'm about 20 pounds over weight at 200. i started working out regurly 3-4 times a week and i've actually gained 5 pounds !

haven't had a soda in about 6 months as well i haven't eaten at any fast food restaurant in 6 months. eat lots of greens and trying to cut down on the red meats. still haven't lost any weight though.

tell you the truth i don't miss fast food or sodas. i tasted a soda recently and almost spit it out it was so sweet !

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Up until the last 20 years or so, most Asian countries didn't have any American fast food places. Even now, it's not a three meal thing, so it's not nearly as bad. I also think it has to do with the typical American work day which most people are exhausted from and then don't end up exercising. Like Guzzo said, one of the hardest things is to get into an exercise schedule you stick to. If this helps anyone, I found the gym to be a perfect place to listen to some new music or something you just digitized.

• edubedub 715 Posts

me myself i'm about 20 pounds over weight at 200. i started working out regurly 3-4 times a week and i've actually gained 5 pounds !

haven't had a soda in about 6 months as well i haven't eaten at any fast food restaurant in 6 months. eat lots of greens and trying to cut down on the red meats. still haven't lost any weight though.

when you start working out you build muscle mass... muscle weighs more than fat... once you have built up muscle mass you will start burning fat...

Don't worry - you're on the right track!

keep it up

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Ok, I weighed 243lbs. this morning! I got to get these 43lbs. off of me. I was off to eat too and took a look at this thread before I left and glad that I did! If I didn't it was off to Wendy's now I'm gonna grab a salad.................. A lot of good shit discussed here and I just about agree with every single one of them. especially the cocaine and ice chips, I've seen that one work wonders. Just check out the cover on daGrassroots "Body Language" 12".

and even if they started out lazy or became that way after trying to lose weight and failing, it sure as fuck doesn't make them stupid. .

if an overweight person doesn't know that a double chai latte with a slice of 7 layer bar whitechocolate marblefluffed donuthole is going to hurt their weightloss situation, they are stupid. or you could say ignorant.

Two totally different levels of stupidity all around, and I think you just proved it right there. As offensive as your words are (and trust me, you've already pissed me off a number of times in this thread), for a lot of people it's true.

Now you might ask "why did it offend you?" Because I have eaten without thought many times. But then there comes a point when you realize you can't handle it, and you make the effort to turn that around and not so much "correct the mistakes", but to eliminate things. That is one of the most hardest things to do, and I've battled with it many times over the years. It would be great to say "your evil words make me stronger", yet for a lot of people, that only turns them around to not want to try harder.

I can't stop you from being an ass with your insults and smug attitude, because that's how you're coming off. And don't give me that "truth hurts, doesn't it?" crap. For anyone else who has never been in my shoes, seriously, shut the fuck up. Some people have it easy, others don't. I happen to fall into the latter, but don't bash me because I have not reached "your level of greatness". In the end, that's petty 7th grade bullshit. You want to go down to a level you think I can understand you, then I'll kneel down with you so you can see where I'm coming from.

• REAL TALK!!...
    web page [/b]

just out of curiosity, how many here cook at home more than once a week? I'm not talking about heating upa frozen pizza - *real* cooking... from scratch!.. I know that shit takes time, but I've gotten into cooking with my girl, and probably cook our own dinner 6 days a week. Once you cook your own food, you can control exactly what goes into it.

dubs, i cook with high school kids and community, day in and day out, as my fulltime occupation. i still cook my own food probably 4-5 times a week. simple things. but its beautiful stress relief. i get high off cooking up some marvelous shit. some music playing on the fisher price and shit. for real, i'll cook a big pot of whatever that will leave leftovers for 2-3 days/lunches/etc.

dave, i'm here. i left a big long winded post at the bottom of last page.
    so true about the soda sweetness. if you think about it, our taste buds are so warped by sugar and salt (SUCH strong flavors) that lowsalt, sugarless food tastes bland in comparison. once you ween your tastebuds off sugar/salt/grease you taste a whole new world of things. brown rice actually tastes sweet to me.

hows your garden looking? big collards and kale meals 4 times a week over here.

political aside:
    the way i see it, eating whole foods (ideally local, small farm)...whether it be fruit, veggie, meat, grain, etc... is not only a surefire way to health and potency, but also a way to opt out of babylon corporate food industry. Very sorry, but Kraft ADM Monsanto and company dont have consumers best interests in mind. think of gandhi leading people to the ocean to make salt, instead of getting it from the british.
    think global act local. eat that good shit.

dear soulstrut, my sincere apologies for being so longwinded. getting in shape is the first step toward so much positive change, so i get hyped when we have these discussions. hope i dont come off as pretentious or obnoxious.
    health and wealth good people,
    t

You know what, lotusland? It's not you. It's comments like yours that have affected me for most of my life. There are those who choose to help and encourage, and there are those who will ridicule for the sake of doing so. I've been pulled down in life a few times to where it scared me, so... I allowed your words to affect me.

You know what changed things for me though? The car accident I was in in June. I've mentioned it to friends, but the moment of impact, I did not know what was going to happen. I though oh shit, is my life going to end here, of all places, Pasco, Washington? I have not lived my life yet. I have not done everything I wanted to do. I thought of my mom, sister, and my nephew. The trees were blurry. I thought "oh shit, am I going to get religious now?" In a quick second, I could have been dead. The ambulance, police, and tow truck who took my car told me after looking at the damage, I should have been dead. That scared me more than anything, and I had to seriously look into myself for a lot. Coincidence, "second chance", luck, fate, I have no idea what it was. But I'm here. If there is something as a second chance, this is it. I may not have it again.

That lingers in my head every single day. Why it had taken someone to T-bone me to make these decisions in my life, I do not know. Everyone is different, everyone has their own way of doing things. The accident fucking scared me, and I thought man, let me do something right with my life for once.

Yet it shouldn't take a car accident to make those chances. I had many opportunities to be serious about my weight, but refused. For me, it did. I don't want to live the life I once lived. That's not living.

• and even if they started out lazy or became that way after trying to lose weight and failing, it sure as fuck doesn't make them stupid. .

Two totally different levels of stupidity all around, and I think you just proved it right there. As offensive as your words are (and trust me, you've already pissed me off a number of times in this thread), for a lot of people it's true.

Now you might ask "why did it offend you?" Because I have eaten without thought many times. But then there comes a point when you realize you can't handle it, and you make the effort to turn that around and not so much "correct the mistakes", but to eliminate things. That is one of the most hardest things to do, and I've battled with it many times over the years. It would be great to say "your evil words make me stronger", yet for a lot of people, that only turns them around to not want to try harder.

I can't stop you from being an ass with your insults and smug attitude, because that's how you're coming off. And don't give me that "truth hurts, doesn't it?" crap. For anyone else who has never been in my shoes, seriously, shut the fuck up. Some people have it easy, others don't. I happen to fall into the latter, but don't bash me because I have not reached "your level of greatness". In the end, that's petty 7th grade bullshit. You want to go down to a level you think I can understand you, then I'll kneel down with you so you can see where I'm coming from.

damn jon. you just do your damn thing and stay part of these discussions. ive been learning a lot from the knowledge youre dropping on these posts.

i work with some kids with weight issues and it can be a very sensitive thing when we are looking at issues dealing with diet related disease, obesity crisis, etc. Also, the kids generally dont have a lot of leverage on what theyre eating.
    we try not to personalize the things we talk about and kids often get into the cooking and start to make small changes when theyre ready/able.