THE NBA PLAYOFFS - '09!!!

Comments

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    DERRICK COLEMAN WAS JUST AMAZING. JUST A BUTT-HAIR SHORT OF THE HOF.

Actually, Derrick Coleman was pretty f*cking amazing...when he cared. Problem was, he barely ever cared. But when he was motivated, he could chew up pretty much anybody.

No doubt. I agree with this. I loved watching DC play, both at the 'Cuse and for the Nets or whoever else. He could fill up a stat sheet like nobody's business when he was on. But his career was what it was. I feel similarly about Webber. No doubt he had flashes of brilliance but the consistency wasn't there and he played on a couple of really solid Kings teams that had every right to make at least one NBA Finals if they'da had their shit together. You get appraised on your ability to stay on the court and his career was injury-marred to some extent.

Um gene weren't you touting the signing of juwan Howard as just the kind of player that the Mavs needed to get over the hump a few seasons ago??? Doesn't give you much room to start criticizing others player evaluations after that kind of statement.

NEVER THAT SON.

motown, I know you know what's up. Being in the Bay you saw CWebb in his prime. I made my last statements above. I don't think they're completely unreasonable, but I was posting dumb shit late last night. I see other dumb shit in this thread.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There was a time when Derek Coleman was in the top 3 PF playing.

Dude was handling the ball on the perimeter, before Garnett.
    Could hit threes, rebound w/ anyone, and dominate in the post.

Those Kenny Anderson/Chris Morris/teams had potential.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    a couple of really solid Kings teams that had every right to make at least one NBA Finals if they'da had their shit together.

ENTER ROBERT HORRY

If forced to chose between Webber in his prime and Dirk in his prime I would choose Webber.

Hell No....no way

There was a time when Derek Coleman was in the top 3 PF playing.

Dude was handling the ball on the perimeter, before Garnett.
    Could hit threes, rebound w/ anyone, and dominate in the post.

Those Kenny Anderson/Chris Morris/teams had potential.

Not to mention DC's arms were freakishly long and he was a great shot-blocker. And he got steals. AND he wasn't a rail like KG. He was a brute.

I guess Kenny Anderson was too slight to consistently dominate in the L but I loved that cat's game too.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wouldn't be crowing if I were a Celts fan - that was a terrible game for all but about 5 minutes of it. Orlando should've been up by 20.

lol - you put me in my place ... ?

why not crow about stealing a win to take control of the series?

Because the team played like garbage. 42 minutes of Pierce and nothing else. Friggin Marbury to the rescue! It was a joke. I haven't been following the Magic at all this year but if that's how they play then I'm surprised they got this far.

The Celts keep turning in those performances and they'll get manhandled by Cleveland.

I guess that's a foregone conclusion in Boston? For the defending champs?

It's true - expectations in Boston ARE pretty low for the C's this year, "weak sauce" or not.
    Most Celtics fans - myself included - feel that, without Garnett, they should still be able to
    beat Orlando, but figure a series win against the Cavs would be a massive upset.

You're a basketball fan, so you know that sometimes that's just the way games go - a team is
    cold for 3 1/2 quarters, looks like shit, and then pulls an effort out of their asses to steal the
    win. Where you scoff at the efforts of Marbury, his sudden awakening in the fourth is what
    kept the Celtics in the game and ultimately spurred them to win, with the rolling 3 by a
    previously DOA Ray Allen putting them ahead for good. As a fan of the team, it was a great
    finish, and something to cheer about. Sorry if it's not up to your standards of playoff basketball.

You want to talk about weak sauce? How about Howard throwing his coach under the Fung Wah?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I didn't see that - what did he say?

Howard has to shoulder as much blame as anyone. Dude was invisible in the 2nd half. I guess, partially, because he was on the bench for much of it... Van Gundy got outcoached last night, certainly, but the team itself was on cruise control, jacking up bad 3s (which they weren't hitting all night), standing around, and taking it to the hole one on one like the game was already over.

I'm no fan of either team, but I am a fan of good basketball... which there wasn't much of in that game. It was painful at times to watch. Boston deserved to lose, yet Orlando didn't deserve to win - so there you have it.

I do give them credit for heart. And Jesus Shuttlesworth seems to pull those 3s out of his prayer book at the right times. But Rondo didn't look very good at all, and that should be cause for concern.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DERRICK COLEMAN WAS JUST AMAZING. JUST A BUTT-HAIR SHORT OF THE HOF.

Actually, Derrick Coleman was pretty f*cking amazing...when he cared. Problem was, he barely ever cared. But when he was motivated, he could chew up pretty much anybody.

No doubt. I agree with this. I loved watching DC play, both at the 'Cuse and for the Nets or whoever else. He could fill up a stat sheet like nobody's business when he was on. But his career was what it was. I feel similarly about Webber. No doubt he had flashes of brilliance but the consistency wasn't there and he played on a couple of really solid Kings teams that had every right to make at least one NBA Finals if they'da had their shit together. You get appraised on your ability to stay on the court and his career was injury-marred to some extent.

Agreed. I loved watching DC play when he cared because he was just plain unstoppable. But most of the time, he was content to half-ass it.

Agreed about Webber, too. Dude also turned into quite the shrinking violet in crunch time, constantly front-rimming that foul-line jumper. Bibby was the only really cold-blooded one on those Kings teams.

I didn't see that - what did he say?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-magichoward051209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

He has a point, but he has also made some shit plays when they HAVE put the ball in his
    hands with the game on the line, so ...

And I certainly wasn't claiming the Celtics are playing championship basketball - the only
    comment I made was a half-assed "wasn't it awesome?" when another poster lamented the
    collapse of the Magic in the fourth quarter. Hardly what counts as crowing, in my opinion.
    Like I said, a win is a win, especially in the playoffs - I'll take it!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    He does have a point.

But as far as the airballed 3s, lame drives, etc... were those Van Gundy's calls?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    The Magic-Celtics series is now headed to game 7. Someone who knows please let me know what has happened to Ray Allen in this series. During the regular season, he averaged 18 points a game and shot 48 percent from the field.

Here are his numbers in this series:

Game 1: 9 points, 2-12 from field.
    Game 2: 22 points, 7-15 from field.
    Game 3: 8 points, 3-13 from field.
    Game 4: 12 points, 6-13 from field.
    Game 5: 13 points, 3-11 from field.
    Game 6: 5 points, 2-11 from field.

Are the Magic guards that solid on defense? Or is Ray Allen's head somewhere else? Either way, his failure to be what for him is average is the reason that Boston has not closed out this series.

Apparently no one cares enough about the Mavericks or the Nuggets to remark on the conclusion of their Western Confrence semi-final last night. Mavericks played well, but Nuggets played even better. Hard to beat a team that shoots 58.3 percent from the field for the game. Very hard. Nuggets are looking tough -- setting up a potential coaching rematch of the 1996 NBA Finals -- George Karl v. Phil Jackson. Jackson got the better of Karl in '96, but of course, he had Michael Jordan to help with that.

In Houston, it's too early to say much of anything...except that the Lakers are down 12 in the second period. If Houston hits its jump shots, they will beat the Lakers. Farmar is looking like the man for LA right now on offense.

Allen has some crazy cold streaks.

He had a horrible one in last year's playoffs.

Hopefully he heats up in game 7.

LeBoring vs MELO/K.O.B.E.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Allen had 7 games all season where he scored in single digits.

In six games against the Magic, he's done it three times. That's one helluva crazy cold streak.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jazz series = physically tested
    Rockets series = mentally tested

I think ONE of the problems for the Lakers is that they don't have a consistent offense. I have noticed that when Farmer replaces Fisher, good things happen. I don't know why in the hell, they are not doing what they did in game 5. Driving it to the rack, using Bynum and Gasol in the post...

ARTEST IS A LIL BITCH.

Jazz series = physically tested
    Rockets series = mentally tested

I think ONE of the problems for the Lakers is that they don't have a consistent offense. I have noticed that when Farmer replaces Fisher, good things happen. I don't know why in the hell, they are not doing what they did in game 5. Driving it to the rack, using Bynum and Gasol in the post...

ARTEST IS A LIL BITCH.

Don't start that shit Batmon. You got mylatency drooling over that shit now.

BRING THE ALL CAPS BITCH!!!!!!!!!

GAME 7

He obviously wanted attention, lying on the table like that. = Lil bitch.

SWaaGeR

BRING THE ALL CAPS BITCH!!!!!!!!!

GAME 7

I ain't that excited about my team's defensive intensity, so no all caps yet. Okay, one time.....

HELP DEFENSE = WEAK AS HELL.

HOW THE HELL DID BROOKS GET SO OPEN FOR THAT CLOSING THREE?

U scurred?

SWaaGeR

OR DRAMA QUEEN SHIT.

U scurred?

YEA. But this is good. Reminds me of how we had a mediocre team going up against the Phoenix Suns. There's obvious flaws, but somehow I'm forcing myself to stick with them this time around.

I still wanted to see KOBE vs LeBoring but...

Melo vs Leboring mite be more entertainig

I still wanted to see KOBE vs LeBoring but...

Melo vs Leboring mite be more entertainig

I ain't giving up yet, but the Lakers have a LOOOOONG ROAD ahead of them.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Starting the second half on a 16-2 run definitely helps the lakers.