Michael Jackson AGAIN

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

And don't read your King James version of the bible, cuz King James was allegedly a pedophile as well.

yes ive heard this, also im tossin' all my james brown records in the trash, i heard he beats women & smokes crack & cant support that...
    also, im throwing away my rap stuff that has roots in the gangs & drug biz, i cant support people who sell drugs...
    R. Kelly, him to, fuckin little girls on video, who look like pros at 13, cant support him either, in fact im tossin out all my record, cuz most jazz artists i like were heroin addicts & i cant support that either, anyone have any xtra amy grant for a brutha?

File under "Love The Art, Not The Artist."

I got drunk with an old dude at a bar in Barcelona who said, "My countryman Picasso was a disagreeable bastard of a man. But he made great art." It's the same thing, really.

There is something about raping children that I just can't embrace and look past. Call me a Quaker.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

... anyone have any xtra amy grant for a brutha?

finally homie! welcome to the bright side of town. let's hold hands and get really excited about jesus and fuzzy things. YES!!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

And don't read your King James version of the bible, cuz King James was allegedly a pedophile as well.

yes ive heard this, also im tossin' all my james brown records in the trash, i heard he beats women & smokes crack & cant support that...
    also, im throwing away my rap stuff that has roots in the gangs & drug biz, i cant support people who sell drugs...
    R. Kelly, him to, fuckin little girls on video, who look like pros at 13, cant support him either, in fact im tossin out all my record, cuz most jazz artists i like were heroin addicts & i cant support that either, anyone have any xtra amy grant for a brutha?
    Is there a limit to who you will support?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    understandable nate, but damn, does anyone not remember that this so called "kid" & his family also accused a mall security guard of the same fucking thig a few years back?!? he must be one sexy lil fucker...
    also, i hear your concerns, but dude is an EASY target for this kinna accusation, too easy imo, weird, rich & misunderstood...
    there is no way his trial is going to be "fair" it's impossible now...
    peace

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

There is something about raping children that I just can't embrace and look past. Call me a Quaker.

The Pianist & Rosemary's Baby were great movies...Chinatown was o.k (IMO).....you seen any of these movies Nate?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I got drunk with an old dude at a bar in Barcelona who said, "My countryman Picasso was a disagreeable bastard of a man. But he made great art." It's the same thing, really.

And that is your perogotive.
    I just don't see the point of throwing away records he made in 1980.

The Pianist & Rosemary's Baby were great movies...Chinatown was o.k (IMO).....you seen any of these movies Nate?

I'm not a fan of Roman Polanski or Woody Alan.

And All I said is that I wouldn't be playing them at DJ gigs anymore. I'm not throwing anything away.

And All I said is that I wouldn't be playing them at DJ gigs anymore. I'm not throwing anything away.

O.K. ..COOL

NOW WHO GOT THAT "TIME MACHINE" FOR A N*G*A?!?!?!?!!

"EXCEEDINGLY BEAUTIFUL"......

O.K. ..COOL

Just out of curiosity....how much had you played them at gigs before?
    I guess I still don't get it? If someone requests MJ, you would deny them out of moral outrage, yet you would give it space amongst your spiritual jazz grail private press face-melters? Where is the logic B?

Is there a limit to who you will support?

i dont "support" mj, never have, but his music is his music, i mean shit i think marvin gaye was an asshole of a man, beat his dad all kinna ll shit, but i love his music, i could go on & on with artists i think are donkeys but they make good music, i play their shit, not hang out w/ them...
    but when you take the mj case & what the USA has become, every person on that current jury is a potential millionaire, just for being on that jury, books, interviews on & on, it's a fucking joke... the da tryin to get a name for himself, $$$$, it's all about the $...
    but unlike many on this board im not gonna hate on anyones views of dude, but damn, please look at the bigger picture...
    i mean, i remember a lot of the same cats who think he's guilty now before the shits even over, hollerin about bush is full a shit about WMD in iraq, yet bush said his sources were credible... you never know...
    and for the record im not comparing bush to MJ, so save the drama, im pointing out that just cuz the media rounds people up like cattle to believe what they want you too, does not mean it's truth...
    i honeztly dont think we will ever know the "truth" in this case...

O.K. ..COOL

Just out of curiosity....how much had you played them at gigs before?
    I guess I still don't get it? If someone requests MJ, you would deny them out of moral outrage, yet you would give it space amongst your spiritual jazz grail private press face-melters? Where is the logic B?

I used to play "Rock With You" at nearly every gig I played. It's an easy track that all the girls like. I don't really play any jazz music at any DJ gigs so I would never have to make that decision.

I don't see why it's a big deal that I don't want to support a child rapist. Seems logical to me.

I don't see why it's a big deal that I don't want to support a child rapist. Seems logical to me.

Well, like I say, I could give a shit really...it's just an interesting conversation. I guess I never think of playing records that I bought second hand at a club for dancers as 'supporting' anyone. PLUS there's the little side issue about not having been convicted OR even being charged with raping any child. That's probably where I actually take issue with you. Semantics actually do have meaning in a court of law.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Roman Polanski

just to stir the pot more, what are peoples thoughts on this?

personally i find it boring. mostly cuz i ts too dated for me to get into. my friend went to go see that horrible dj spooky and birth of a nation mash up thingy. i told him that i couldnt think of 2 more boring things than this. he went anyways. then conceded.

but, griffith is the forefather to modern filmmaking as we all know it and deserves credit for that.

personally i find it boring. mostly cuz i ts too dated for me to get into. my friend went to go see that horrible dj spooky and birth of a nation mash up thingy. i told him that i couldnt think of 2 more boring things than this. he went anyways. then conceded.

but, griffith is the forefather to modern filmmaking as we all know it and deserves credit for that.

A perfect jumpoff for a debate of Form vs Content! Style vs Substance! Are things mutually exclusive? Leni Reifenstahl anyone?

• I used to play "Rock With You" at nearly every gig I played. It's an easy track that all the girls like. I don't really play any jazz music at any DJ gigs so I would never have to make that decision.

Make sure you don't do anything at all because everything and everyone is linked. If you buy a gallon of gasoline you just destroyed an ecosystem. If you eat a slab of meat you just deforested an acre of rainforest. Listening to " Rock With You " is at the bottom of your list of destructive, imorral behavior. Reggie Andrews is a satanic child molestor who killed his first born but you wouldn't know it because he's nearly " private issue ". If you buy his record for $150 you have committed a sin that can only molesting Catholic Preist can wash away.

Just a thought.

A perfect jumpoff for a debate of Form vs Content! Style vs Substance! Are things mutually exclusive? Leni Reifenstahl anyone?

awesome! personally i think leni riefenstahl is a genius. her framing evokes all kinds of emotion. i mean, her eye is a perfect example of how influential media can be. coupled with that wagner shit, that propaganda machine was unstoppable.

do i agree with her politic? uh, no. but i will not deny the fact that she was a superb image maker.

• Leni's Ethnographic work is more question mark that the Nazi era stuff and it's all dope as a penguin with an erection. Morals aside.

on the flip side is spike lee. do i think he is an important filmmaker? yes i do. the first african-american filmmaker to really break into the mainstream film industry. now, do i think he makes good movies? HELL NO. he makes pandering crap.

btw, his cinematographer, hasan malik sayeed credits riefenstahl as an influence.

Leni's Ethnographic work is more question mark that the Nazi era stuff and it's all dope as a penguin with an erection. Morals aside.

are you saying you dont like her ethnographic photography? cuz i even dig that. i mean, she really knew her stock and her equipment.

• Oh No... Her ethnographic work is her most interesting work. I like it. It is as dope as an apes ballsac. She was a great artist.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Sorry to just jump in- it's poor form I know, but I am at work and this is the first opportunity to get a say in this controversial discussion.

I think we can all agree that if MJ wrote songs about his lust for boys, we wouldn't play those songs, and if you want to read PYT that way that's your prerogative, but MJ's lyrics have always stayed in the vein of pop music lyrics, so that seems like a stretch to me. MJ's songs in and of themselves are harmless IMO.

Which brings me to the main point of my post...

Since we're all diggers here it brings up an interesting point- Lots of us buy music on the regular that we don't know that much about. Maybe we recognize the label, or an artist on one of the tracks etc, but not much information about the artist themselves and their lives. Most of the time I could care less about that- I'm listening to the music. What I'm saying is that, and I can't speak for you Natebizzo, you could be an exception to this, but I don't think it is necessary to find out if the obscure artists I am listening to did anyhthing reprehensible in their lives that I would disagree with. Maybe the info isn't even there to be found.

MJ on the other hand is everywhere (duh), and every nightshow on TV does a bit on him each evening so you can't escape knowing about MJ's actions. So it seems to me that MJ is just a figurehead. Nate- I admire that you are so repulsed by the possibility (giving him benfit of the doubt) that MJ's a rapist that it could affect your opinion of music you have no doubt enjoyed your whole life, but I wonder if your anger is misplaced.

Think about this: MJ has become a symbol for pedaphelia, something more abstract than being a pedaphile itself- yet a more concrete place to lay blame.

It reminds me of Martha Stewart- she became a figurehead for corporate corruption and greed. Because she is so familiar to Americans it was much easier to punish her for a comparably smaller infraction of the law than the heads of Enron etc. who stole much more money and caused infinitely more suffering to America as a whole.

Americans love a figurehead- a specific person on whom they can lay blame.

Let's just be consistent with our opinions, if you've got a problem w/ a crime- go with it across the board (ie get rid of the recs, don't just stop playing them out because if the problem is that you can't enjoy them, then you probably shouldn't own them. maybe you just don't want to force them on others), the same goes for carrying the policy to other artists (or others period) who have commited a similar crime.

Ultimately most will probably find that keeping up with all of our favorite artists' lives is impossible, if not just too time consuming. Therefore I agree with the quote above- let's let the art stand on its own because wonderful things have come from terrible people since... forever.

Whether Michael is guilty or not, had a terrible childhood or a blessed one is not my interest, I have simpathy for the fact that he cannot have a fair trial as the celebrity he is. Am I making sense here?

I think we can all agree that if MJ wrote songs about his lust for boys, we wouldn't play those songs, and if you want to read PYT that way that's your prerogative, but MJ's lyrics have always stayed in the vein of pop music lyrics, so that seems like a stretch to me. MJ's songs in and of themselves are harmless IMO.

she was only 17, 17, but she was sexy

• There is something about raping children that I just can't embrace and look past. Call me a Quaker.

You realize, right, that he's not on trial for rape?

Yes, you are making more sense than this thread deserves.

• i have decided not the breath anymore. the night stalker once lived in this town.

I am just mad that no one can admit I was right about Kurt Russell being normal.
    Ed?

• I am just mad that no one can admit I was right about Kurt Russell being normal.
    Ed?

I dunno bout that..Have you seen Goldie Hawn lately???

I am just mad that no one can admit I was right about Kurt Russell being normal.

Ed?

have you seen Overboard?

he must have been on something