Cops Execute 22 Year Old Man On Train Platform

Comments

• Nobody will be able to say that Crabtree served time for murdering Jerrold Hall, because he didnt.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm really bummed out by this. Best case scenario it's some Pryzbylewski level incompetence, and it just gets worse from there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

"Open verdict". I recall the vibe on public transport in London at the time was knife-edge and although the outcome was tragic, I believe they genuinely thought this was a bomber when he was shot.

The cops plainly f*cked up here big time too but this was nothing like the same "Threat".

As someone mentioned about Greece, riots have erupted over less...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The layers of bullshit here are incredible:

"Don Cameron, a former BART police sergeant and weapons expert who now teaches police officers about proper use of force, said today that he had watched footage of the shooting of Grant and was convinced that the officer had meant to fire a Taser - a device that he said BART began using recently.

Footage taken from inside a BART car by a phone camera, first shown by KTVU television, shows officers forcing Grant to the ground and trying to hold him down. One officer appears to try to put cuffs on him before drawing his weapon and firing. In the video, Grant appears to struggle with the officers, though it is unclear exactly what he was doing.

Cameron said he made his conclusion based in part on the officer's stance, and the fact that a second officer moved away from Grant just before he was shot, perhaps trying to avoid a second-hand shock.

"If someone was actively resisting, which it appeared this guy was, the device to use would be the Taser, to overcome his resistance," Cameron said. "The Taser is a great controlling device. But if you grab the wrong device, you kill somebody.[/b]"

That's kind of believable actually.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    After multiple viewings, it almost looks like the shooter is like "oh shit, wtf have I just done?!", with him bringing his hands to his head. I get a strong feeling he didn't mean to shoot with a gun. Big F*ck up none the less. How heavy is the punishment if you accidentally kill someone?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    After multiple viewings, it almost looks like the shooter is like "oh shit, wtf have I just done?!", with him bringing his hands to his head. I get a strong feeling he didn't mean to shoot with a gun. Big F*ck up none the less. How heavy is the punishment if you accidentally kill someone?

GTFOOHWTBS

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I get a strong feeling he didn't mean to shoot with a gun.

You psychic now?

No one's suggesting this shit was premeditated but I don't see how this is "accidental". Accidental is aiming for a deer and hitting your hunting buddy instead.

Pulling a pistol out of a holster, aiming, and shooting someone in the f*cking back is not an "accident."

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    After multiple viewings, it almost looks like the shooter is like "oh shit, wtf have I just done?!", with him bringing his hands to his head.

I noticed that too. Problem is, the situation didn't seem to warrant taser use so NOTHING should've been drawn.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That's even besides the point: even if Taser use was legitimate, the inability to distinguish between it AND A GUN is literally a life-or-death error. This situation is fucked no matter how you look at it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That video is frightening. Dude is not even remotely a threat.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Crap like this and the de Menezes shooting will (hopefully) be what keeps British police unarmed, let alone private security firms working for public transport.

That vid is bad.
    Would it be admissable or whatever the term is? Surely manslaughter at the very least?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

[nasal Californian woman] Oh. My. God. [/nasal Californian woman]

• For those (ODub) following the national news feed, this just aired on Good Morning America...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I can't imagine mistaking a taser for a firearm unless the dude was drunk or stoned out of his mind.

Like any cop that steps outside their authority and breaks the law he should be prosecuted for his crime.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    shit makes me wanna cry

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It just aired - briefly - on MSNBC.

• they need to explain why the hell he was even going for his taser. F*ck all the bullshit. that cop was obviously not responsible enough to have any kind of weapon. murder

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    There's a protest at the Fruitvale BART station this Wed 3pm-7pm if any Bay heads are interested

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    Great radio program about the Bart Shooting and Police Violence in Oakland:

Davey D - Breakdown FM: Police Terror in Oakland

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    a 17 year old kid (freddy villanueva) was shot 4 times and killed, by an officer breaking up a game of dice in montreal and it was caught on video as well

this is some atrocious shit

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    orgot to mention there was rioting following the event

since the police denied it before the video footage was shown

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    This kind of thing happens much too often. Needless loss of life. Very tragic.

Some friends of mine are questioning why there's not direct actions and rioting in Oakland to express popular anger about the incident, but Oakland is not Athens. I hope there is strong popular action, but if it goes down it won't be about tear gas and a few cops getting burns from molotovs. It will be much more violent.

For this reason I think it's really important for other communities to rally to support Oakland.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Some friends of mine are questioning why there's not direct actions and rioting in Oakland to express popular anger about the incident, but Oakland is not Athens. I hope there is strong popular action, but if it goes down it won't be about tear gas and a few cops getting burns from molotovs. It will be much more violent.

For this reason I think it's really important for other communities to rally to support Oakland.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/01/08/MN2N155CN1.DTL&o=21

This made my day. I hope the actions continue. This is the only way to build enough political pressure to bring some real change. It's not going to happen in the courts.

• This made your day?

• This made my day. I hope the actions continue. This is the only way to build enough political pressure to bring some real change. It's not going to happen in the courts.

Really? Riots? Because don't they just hurt the community where they take place more than the police?

• See this kind of non-violent protest seems like it would be more effective.

Protesters sit on the gates at the Fruitvale BART Station, where Oscar Grant was shot to death. BART closed the station into the evening commute. (Michael Macor / The Chronicle)

Perhaps its just the Quaker in me...