Cops Execute 22 Year Old Man On Train Platform

Comments

• Riots and violence are NOT the answer.

Agreed on the sit-in.

• No, it's AWESOME when people run aimlessly through downtown Oakland, smashing local Black-owned businesses and running away when the police start sweeping through.

• If anything the riot probably took some of the pressure and heat away from BART and the DA, etc. Now these indiscriminate rioters become the focus of the story instead of the fact that a cop murdered someone.

• No, it's AWESOME when people run aimlessly through downtown Oakland, smashing local Black-owned businesses and running away when the police start sweeping through.

For real, people calling for the types of riots they had in Greece are idiots.

• And when the peaceful and disciplined protestors (whom I totally support) try to convene in future days they will probably be met with overwhelming police force.

Yeah, F*ck YOU, Creative African Braids! Now that your windows have been smashed, perhaps we can bring Oscar back to life.

Shit is f*cking pathetic. I feel so bad for downtown Oakland; the community there has worked really hard to revitalize that area and now SEVEN STOREFRONTS on 17th between Webster and Franklin are fucked up. I've spent a lot of time on that block as some friends own a business there. It's a very tight-knit community and everyone makes an effort to get along with their neighbors.

Sorry if that sounds corny to you, Thermos.

• And what the hell happened in Greece since then? Sweeping changes? New government? $1,600 stimulus check mailed to every breathing citizen?

seems like the same kind of chicken hawk shit that we always accuse right wing think tanks of... bunch of folks run to cheer the fight and once the dust clears all they want to do is tell the story.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    No man.....you need VIOLENCE to get the message across.....the Pigs and the Establishment don't understand anything but violence.....and destroying those cop cars is a positive thing because now they'll have to spend money to repair them... it will hit them in the pocketbook where it hurts.......oh wait....their pocketbook is our tax dollars.....so those fine tax paying citizens who are doing the damage will wind up paying for the repairs themselves.....in that case it's a genius strategy.

Yeah, F*ck YOU, Creative African Braids! Now that your windows have been smashed, perhaps we can bring Oscar back to life.

Shit is f*cking pathetic. I feel so bad for downtown Oakland; the community there has worked really hard to revitalize that area and now SEVEN STOREFRONTS on 17th between Webster and Franklin are fucked up. I've spent a lot of time on that block as some friends own a business there. It's a very tight-knit community and everyone makes an effort to get along with their neighbors.

Sorry if that sounds corny to you, Thermos.

Dude, I worked in downtown from 1993-95 and it was a GHOST TOWN (not to be confused with the actual neighborhood called "ghost town" ) after 5. It's been such a hard struggle to get any signs of life down there and this is not helpful. At all.

One can only imagine that maybe they could've avoided the black-owned businesses and hit.... a Chinese church a few blocks east? A Vietnamese restaurant? Oh wait... maybe they could've rioted all the way to Lake Merritt and gotten them a yuppy, a real honest-to-god white yuppy... who despite most likely sharing allegiances with the rioters, would have actually been guilty of being born somewhere outside of Oakland's city limits. Like maybe... Piedmont. Or something.

• I'm not crying tears over any f*cking police cars but smashing up a Toyota Corolla of a school teacher? A braid store while the owner is in there with her baby? I do not understand mob mentality.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They need BOMBS to get the message across...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I wonder if the shopkeeps were facists like those in Greece?

• I'm not crying tears over any f*cking police cars

I feel you but now at the same time Rich is correct, that money just comes out of the department budget which comes from taxes which is one less car on a drug corner or (good) officer doing his job.

At least I can understand that shit though - this young lady (from SF) talwmbout "Oakland needs to get mad" and "she's lucky all she lost was her business"... come the F*ck on.

Dead wrong. Dead f*cking wrong.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I was watching live coverage on KNTV. the reporter got hit with a bean bag while on the air and screamed!

Did any bay strutters go to the protest? I was planning to but then got scared at the last minute because of riots in the past from the Raiders/A's losing in playoffs. I had a bad feeling an unwarranted shooting by a cop was going to be beyond beyond.

• I'm not crying tears over any f*cking police cars

I feel you but now at the same time Rich is correct, that money just comes out of the department budget which comes from taxes which is one less car on a drug corner or (good) officer doing his job.

I'm not saying I endorse it, but I'm certainly not going to wring my hands worrying about taxpayer dollars. But while we're on the subject, does the police department not have an insurance policy?

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    I don't have the time or patience to argue about this with yall today, so I'll post up my perspective and let you guys take it however you want:

It's a shame when property is destroyed that has nothing to do with the problem in question, but I feel that in our current political environment it's going to be a nearly inevitable by-product of popular action. This is because we have lost so many of the leaders and organizations that guided effective popular action. Oakland is home to Black Panthers who where undermined, attacked and murdered by the FBI's, Cointelpro. Maybe if the Panthers had been allowed to exist, there would be older generation there to guide the youth in more effective political action. Since those leaders are gone, should they not hit the streets because there is no one to direct the political effectiveness of a whole lot of pissed off people? Or should we applaud the people who do hit the streets to put their bodies on the line to register their anger?

• Thanks for the Pittsburgh perspective on Oakland's history.

• I don't have the time or patience to argue about this with yall today, so I'll post up my perspective and let you guys take it however you want:

It's a shame when property is destroyed that has nothing to do with the problem in question, but I feel that in our current political environment it's going to be a nearly inevitable by-product of popular action. This is because we have lost so many of the leaders and organizations that guided effective popular action. Oakland is home to Black Panthers who where undermined, attacked and murdered by the FBI's, Cointelpro. Maybe if the Panthers had been allowed to exist, there would be older generation there to guide the youth in more effective political action. Since those leaders are gone, should they not hit the streets because there is no one to direct the political effectiveness of a whole lot of pissed off people? Or should we applaud the people who do hit the streets to put their bodies on the line to register their anger?

Yeah, you know, the last year has shown that legal non-violent political movements are not capable of creating change.

Oh wait...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    No, it's AWESOME when people run aimlessly through downtown Oakland, smashing local Black-owned businesses and running away when the police start sweeping through.

How Oakland do!

For real though, from what I heard from folks, it was your garden variety Bay Area anarchists stirring shit up - they can smell the potential for mayhem like sharks smell blood in the water and then they come swarming in.

Given that the rioting started somewhat after the actual protest, it sounds like opportunism to start shit rather than a direct expression of rage around Grant's murder.

• Exactly. Folks like our Thermos here that think it's important to smash people's shit up speak truth to power.

btw, Thermos, you don't know shit about the Panthers.

How Oakland do!

For real though, from what I heard from folks, it was your garden variety Bay Area anarchists stirring shit up - they can smell the potential for mayhem like sharks smell blood in the water and then they come swarming in.

Given that the rioting started somewhat after the actual protest, it sounds like opportunism to start shit rather than a direct expression of rage around Grant's murder.

I wasn't there so I don't know but I didn't see any "garden variety anarchist" types in any of the pictures on the Chronicle gallery.

• Plus the media would be going out of there way to blame it on "black clad self-described anarchists" if what you're saying is true. Not like those folks to target locally owned businesses or private vehicles either.

Plus the media would be going out of there way to blame it on "black clad self-described anarchists" if what you're saying is true. Not like those folks to target locally owned businesses or private vehicles either.

Points taken. I hadn't seen any televised or photo coverage of the event. This is standard e-rumor mill stuff I had been getting from some folks up there. I should clarify - by "garden variety" I didn't mean the "black clad" dudes. I'm talking about the shit-starters in the Bay Area, some of who can include the latter, WTO-types, but there's also a home-grown "garden variety" of folks ready and willing to jump off. So that's who I was told starting coming around once the formal protest was waning.

All I can say - if this cop gets off? Last night will look like a candlenight vigil.

I don't have the time or patience to argue about this with yall today, so I'll post up my perspective and let you guys take it however you want:

Dude, what are you talking about?

Have you even ever lived in Oakland?

• i was appreciating people lying down in the same position oscar grant was. people coming out of city hall, bart offices and everyone of that bitchass bartcops relatives' homes should have to step over dozens of people lying like that around the clock.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

If by Oakland, you mean the Island of Earnest College Freshmen Political Ideology, then yes.

i was appreciating people lying down in the same position oscar grant was. people coming out of city hall, bart offices and everyone of that bitchass bartcops relatives' homes should have to step over dozens of people lying like that around the clock.

Correction: EX-BART cop.

I'm wondering how smart of a strategic move this will be. Seems to me, if he's out of the dept, he'll have even less institutional protection around him.

If by Oakland, you mean the Island of Earnest College Freshmen Political Ideology, then yes.

Thermos went to Berkeley?

• and i hate to say it, but your average citizen aint too smart or savvy. and mob violence is real cause that shit is always the case. the scene here when the phillies won the world series was ridiculous...easy for people to get swept up in the "empowering" feeling of the will of the mob...breaking shit, burning,etc.i was walking around shaking my head, but instinctualy theres something exciting and gratifying...but takes a slightly reflective person half a second to know not to do it and that its retarded

• i was appreciating people lying down in the same position oscar grant was. people coming out of city hall, bart offices and everyone of that bitchass bartcops relatives' homes should have to step over dozens of people lying like that around the clock.

Correction: EX-BART cop.

I'm wondering how smart of a strategic move this will be. Seems to me, if he's out of the dept, he'll have even less institutional protection around him.

yeah, that little snake must be shitting bricks right now abut how he ruined his life (not to mention oscar grant). weaseling out of having to give a statement makes me even less willing to give him any benefit of the doubt.