colin powell endorses obama

18910111214»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121symbolic victoryb, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21this is a chance for America to show the world that we actually believe what we say we do - that individuals from humble backgrounds can achieve the highest levels of success through aptitude, education & hard work - imho that's the American Dream - not some Joe the Plumber bullshit about becoming a millionaire & buying a McMansion b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21What a nice story...too bad it's inaccurate in that it took extremely rich establishment men to champion, fund, and program Obama in order for him to attain the success he is currently on the brink of. Without those extremely rich men coaching/backing him, Obama probably doesn't ever leave Chicago.b, 21b, 21WHO DOESNT GET THE JOB DONE WITHOUT HELP? EVEN IF IT IS FINANCIAL?b, 21----------------------------------------------------------------------b, 21I also value the "symbolic victory" that a black man or a woman or anyone else not like the past 40+ presidents carries...but not under these pretences that are evidentally saying that now anyone can become the face-person for one of the most corrupt/evil forces of modern history.b, 21b, 21SO THESES PRETENSES NEGATE THE INHERENT MORAL BOOST THAT RESULTS IN SEEING A LEADING BLACK FACE ON TV - THATS NOT ENTERTAINING/SPORTS/ETC..? b, 21__________________________________________________________________________b, 21b, 21The assumption seems to be that Obama is just going to fix problems originated by Bush and company...but I'm afraid that's just the hook being used to get him in. b, 21b, 21CHANGE IS GRADUALb, 21____________________________________________________________b, 21b, 21I agree that Obama seems like a more capable diplomat than we've had for quite some time. But I really don't see what he's done to earn my trust when I learn that he is pro-war in Afghanistan, pro-intervention in Pakistan, pro-big business swindle in relation to the bail-outs, pro-diminishing of our civil liberties by way of various legislative motions, quite extreme in his anti-gun stance, etc. And that's without even needing to dig deeper in to the analysis of the agendas of those who sponsor him.b,121b, 21How Obama is going to improve anything apart from some minor surface considerations, I'm just not seeing.b, 21b, 21COOL, BUT YOU HAVE TO LET SHIT PAN OUT. b, 21b, 21Y'all are definitely going to get a spirited lift out of seeing your dude win...and that's cool on one hand as y'all deserve something to be joyful about when it comes to US politics. But in the end, it's just going to be the same-old shit now delivered by someone you are going to try as hard as possible to grant the benefit of the doubt to at every turn. And that to me could very well be a more dangerous situation than our current one where we look to scrutinize our president in full detail before ever even considering to play apologist for him. b, 21b, 21Believe me, I sincerely hope that Obama can win me over with actions that I can cosign. I just highly doubt that he will be any more than the gutless robot that his campaign in all actuality indicates.b, 21b, 21Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to be able to stand up to Bush/McCain. Obama has done a great job of it in many regards...I don't deny that. But the afflictions of this country are hardly contained within Republican circles alone. Obama needs to stand up against a much broader evil...and up to this point, it doesn't seem that he is man enough for the job. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21DUDE, DO YOU EXPECT OVERNIGHT 360 "CHANGE" FROM ANYONE GIVEN THIS POST? UR RAISING THE BAR ON SOME "I WANT A REAL MESSIAH" SHIT.b, 21b, 21Im not yellin'. Just sayin. I agree w/ healthy skepticism, but you really seem to be nitpicking this cat. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Nitpicking? b, 21b, 21What part of his platform/voting history am I supposed to like. Just saying "early childhood education" a few times without any explanation of what that entails does not cut the mustard for me...among many other monumental shortcomings.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21He has repeatedly cited Geoffrey Canada's Harlem Children's Zone project and said that he intends to fund similar programs in cities across the country. The details of Canada's program are laid out in Paul Tough's recent book.b,121b, 21Next.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121symbolic victoryb, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21this is a chance for America to show the world that we actually believe what we say we do - that individuals from humble backgrounds can achieve the highest levels of success through aptitude, education & hard work - imho that's the American Dream - not some Joe the Plumber bullshit about becoming a millionaire & buying a McMansion b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21What a nice story...too bad it's inaccurate in that it took extremely rich establishment men to champion, fund, and program Obama in order for him to attain the success he is currently on the brink of. Without those extremely rich men coaching/backing him, Obama probably doesn't ever leave Chicago.b, 21b, 21WHO DOESNT GET THE JOB DONE WITHOUT HELP? EVEN IF IT IS FINANCIAL?b, 21----------------------------------------------------------------------b, 21I also value the "symbolic victory" that a black man or a woman or anyone else not like the past 40+ presidents carries...but not under these pretences that are evidentally saying that now anyone can become the face-person for one of the most corrupt/evil forces of modern history.b, 21b, 21SO THESES PRETENSES NEGATE THE INHERENT MORAL BOOST THAT RESULTS IN SEEING A LEADING BLACK FACE ON TV - THATS NOT ENTERTAINING/SPORTS/ETC..? b, 21__________________________________________________________________________b, 21b, 21The assumption seems to be that Obama is just going to fix problems originated by Bush and company...but I'm afraid that's just the hook being used to get him in. b, 21b, 21CHANGE IS GRADUALb, 21____________________________________________________________b, 21b, 21I agree that Obama seems like a more capable diplomat than we've had for quite some time. But I really don't see what he's done to earn my trust when I learn that he is pro-war in Afghanistan, pro-intervention in Pakistan, pro-big business swindle in relation to the bail-outs, pro-diminishing of our civil liberties by way of various legislative motions, quite extreme in his anti-gun stance, etc. And that's without even needing to dig deeper in to the analysis of the agendas of those who sponsor him.b,121b, 21How Obama is going to improve anything apart from some minor surface considerations, I'm just not seeing.b, 21b, 21COOL, BUT YOU HAVE TO LET SHIT PAN OUT. b, 21b, 21Y'all are definitely going to get a spirited lift out of seeing your dude win...and that's cool on one hand as y'all deserve something to be joyful about when it comes to US politics. But in the end, it's just going to be the same-old shit now delivered by someone you are going to try as hard as possible to grant the benefit of the doubt to at every turn. And that to me could very well be a more dangerous situation than our current one where we look to scrutinize our president in full detail before ever even considering to play apologist for him. b, 21b, 21Believe me, I sincerely hope that Obama can win me over with actions that I can cosign. I just highly doubt that he will be any more than the gutless robot that his campaign in all actuality indicates.b, 21b, 21Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to be able to stand up to Bush/McCain. Obama has done a great job of it in many regards...I don't deny that. But the afflictions of this country are hardly contained within Republican circles alone. Obama needs to stand up against a much broader evil...and up to this point, it doesn't seem that he is man enough for the job. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21DUDE, DO YOU EXPECT OVERNIGHT 360 "CHANGE" FROM ANYONE GIVEN THIS POST? UR RAISING THE BAR ON SOME "I WANT A REAL MESSIAH" SHIT.b, 21b, 21Im not yellin'. Just sayin. I agree w/ healthy skepticism, but you really seem to be nitpicking this cat. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Nitpicking? b, 21b, 21What part of his platform/voting history am I supposed to like. Just saying "early childhood education" a few times without any explanation of what that entails does not cut the mustard for me...among many other monumental shortcomings.b, 21b, 21Plus, I've been down this road before when I gave Clinton the benefit of the doubt with his anti-Gulf War campaign in '92 and voted for him then regretted it just about every day from then on...especially when he fucked with Haiti the way he did.b, 21b, 21Of course I don't expect a 360 change from a man who is only even saying he's got like a 5 change in him. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21 img src="http://image.maniadb.com/images/album/116/116679_cda_f.jpg"1b, 21b, 21b, 21That Haiti shit is forgotten by cats claimin he was the "first Black Pres".

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And no, I'm not looking for a messiah or any other type of cult of personality figure to save us. It is up to us on the ground level to one by one change the way we react to our government into areas that are actually getting the work started to reinvent/revolutionize the system. And the way I'm watching people react to their government right now is IMO misguided energy in a nutshell.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And no, I'm not looking for a messiah or any other type of cult of personality figure to save us. It is up to us on the ground level to one by one change the way we react to our government into areas that are actually getting the work started to reinvent/revolutionize the system. And the way I'm watching people react to their government right now is IMO misguided energy in a nutshell. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21True but "revolution" has to happen at all levels. From the White House to the outhouse.b,121b, 21U gotta give the public some sort of leeway. Shit has been bad for a minute.b,121There's always gonna be cats who throw an abundance of "faith" in public leaders.b, 21b, 21That' American Culture 107.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121symbolic victoryb, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21this is a chance for America to show the world that we actually believe what we say we do - that individuals from humble backgrounds can achieve the highest levels of success through aptitude, education & hard work - imho that's the American Dream - not some Joe the Plumber bullshit about becoming a millionaire & buying a McMansion b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21What a nice story...too bad it's inaccurate in that it took extremely rich establishment men to champion, fund, and program Obama in order for him to attain the success he is currently on the brink of. Without those extremely rich men coaching/backing him, Obama probably doesn't ever leave Chicago.b, 21b, 21WHO DOESNT GET THE JOB DONE WITHOUT HELP? EVEN IF IT IS FINANCIAL?b, 21----------------------------------------------------------------------b, 21I also value the "symbolic victory" that a black man or a woman or anyone else not like the past 40+ presidents carries...but not under these pretences that are evidentally saying that now anyone can become the face-person for one of the most corrupt/evil forces of modern history.b, 21b, 21SO THESES PRETENSES NEGATE THE INHERENT MORAL BOOST THAT RESULTS IN SEEING A LEADING BLACK FACE ON TV - THATS NOT ENTERTAINING/SPORTS/ETC..? b, 21__________________________________________________________________________b, 21b, 21The assumption seems to be that Obama is just going to fix problems originated by Bush and company...but I'm afraid that's just the hook being used to get him in. b, 21b, 21CHANGE IS GRADUALb, 21____________________________________________________________b, 21b, 21I agree that Obama seems like a more capable diplomat than we've had for quite some time. But I really don't see what he's done to earn my trust when I learn that he is pro-war in Afghanistan, pro-intervention in Pakistan, pro-big business swindle in relation to the bail-outs, pro-diminishing of our civil liberties by way of various legislative motions, quite extreme in his anti-gun stance, etc. And that's without even needing to dig deeper in to the analysis of the agendas of those who sponsor him.b,121b, 21How Obama is going to improve anything apart from some minor surface considerations, I'm just not seeing.b, 21b, 21COOL, BUT YOU HAVE TO LET SHIT PAN OUT. b, 21b, 21Y'all are definitely going to get a spirited lift out of seeing your dude win...and that's cool on one hand as y'all deserve something to be joyful about when it comes to US politics. But in the end, it's just going to be the same-old shit now delivered by someone you are going to try as hard as possible to grant the benefit of the doubt to at every turn. And that to me could very well be a more dangerous situation than our current one where we look to scrutinize our president in full detail before ever even considering to play apologist for him. b, 21b, 21Believe me, I sincerely hope that Obama can win me over with actions that I can cosign. I just highly doubt that he will be any more than the gutless robot that his campaign in all actuality indicates.b, 21b, 21Seriously, it doesn't take a genius to be able to stand up to Bush/McCain. Obama has done a great job of it in many regards...I don't deny that. But the afflictions of this country are hardly contained within Republican circles alone. Obama needs to stand up against a much broader evil...and up to this point, it doesn't seem that he is man enough for the job. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21DUDE, DO YOU EXPECT OVERNIGHT 360 "CHANGE" FROM ANYONE GIVEN THIS POST? UR RAISING THE BAR ON SOME "I WANT A REAL MESSIAH" SHIT.b, 21b, 21Im not yellin'. Just sayin. I agree w/ healthy skepticism, but you really seem to be nitpicking this cat. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Nitpicking? b, 21b, 21What part of his platform/voting history am I supposed to like. Just saying "early childhood education" a few times without any explanation of what that entails does not cut the mustard for me...among many other monumental shortcomings.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21He has repeatedly cited Geoffrey Canada's Harlem Children's Zone project and said that he intends to fund similar programs in cities across the country. The details of Canada's program are laid out in Paul Tough's recent book.b,121b, 21Next. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21I gotta read that book now...but that program doesn't look like it really addresses early childhood (ages 2-5) education head-on, instead being a specific school that guides kids all the way through college. b, 21b, 21What I want to hear when someone throws out "early childhood education" as a buzzword like Obama does is something that addresses early childhood education across the board, not just for troubled targets who are being indoctrinated into what kinda looks at first glance like a military academy.b, 21b, 21Point being, it helps my view of Obama for you to throw out that example. But it doesn't cover the base to the point that you should be breaking out your pompous "next" signifiers.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121He has repeatedly cited Geoffrey Canada's Harlem Children's Zone project and said that he intends to fund similar programs in cities across the country. The details of Canada's program are laid out in Paul Tough's recent book.b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Jeff Canada is the truth.b,121b, 21And is funded by rich white folks.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And no, I'm not looking for a messiah or any other type of cult of personality figure to save us. It is up to us on the ground level to one by one change the way we react to our government into areas that are actually getting the work started to reinvent/revolutionize the system. And the way I'm watching people react to their government right now is IMO misguided energy in a nutshell. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21I don't buy into the conspiracy aspect of Harvey's argument (why do we need to attribute to masterminds what is inherent in nearly every human?), but the above statement I can fully get behind.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121And no, I'm not looking for a messiah or any other type of cult of personality figure to save us. It is up to us on the ground level to one by one change the way we react to our government into areas that are actually getting the work started to reinvent/revolutionize the system. And the way I'm watching people react to their government right now is IMO misguided energy in a nutshell. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21I don't buy into the conspiracy aspect of Harvey's argument (why do we need to attribute to masterminds what is inherent in nearly every human?), but the above statement I can fully get behind. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Which brings us to a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor" target="_blank"1Hanlon's razor/a1 which basically states, "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." This has several variants that the wiki link will elucidate... One of my faves:b, 21b, 21Grey's Law - "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I gotta read that book now...but that program doesn't look like it really addresses early childhood (ages 2-5) education head-on, instead being a specific school that guides kids all the way through college. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Nah, they have BABY COLLEGE. A ladyfriend of mine used to work for Harlem Children's Zone.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    a href="http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/#early-childhood" target="_blank"1http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/#early-childhood/a1b,121b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Early Childhood Educationb,121b, 21 * Zero to Five Plan: The Obama-Biden comprehensive "Zero to Five" plan will provide critical support to young children and their parents. Unlike other early childhood education plans, the Obama-Biden plan places key emphasis at early care and education for infants, which is essential for children to be ready to enter kindergarten. Obama and Biden will create Early Learning Challenge Grants to promote state "zero to five" efforts and help states move toward voluntary, universal pre-school.b, 21 * Expand Early Head Start and Head Start: Obama and Biden will quadruple Early Head Start, increase Head Start funding and improve quality for both.b, 21 * Affordable, High-Quality Child Care: Obama and Biden will also provide affordable and high-quality child care to ease the burden on working families.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I'm not sure if this info is accurate. It is from the Obama For President website. You might want to check with one of your top researchers to see if he really has a secret hidden agenda planned for our children.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    And thus begins page 11.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fools could have saved at least 8 of those pages if they didn't keep taking the bait left for them.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Fools could have saved at least 8 of those pages if they didn't keep taking the bait left for them. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Who are you calling a fool?b, 21b, 21b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" /1