Asher Roth???

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    To cleanse the palate:

C'mon dude, still sellin' weight and still flippin' keys and still killin' and/or havin' muhf*ckas killed in your raps is just as corny as goofy Frat Hop and you know it.

thank you.

• hahahaha to this thread and most of the cats on this site

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    To cleanse the palate:

thank you.

I'm not into the message but fuggit, this song is undeniably enjoyable. Ay!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    sucky rappeur who has managed to hook up with some hot producers.

why is this thread so long?

• hahahaha to this thread and most of the cats on this site

wuddup azh

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Asher Roth is one of the kids I would've been at Univ with who

started listening to hip-hop post 2003
    thinks Soundbombing II was his generation's defining moment, even though at the time he was listening to Linkin Park
    worships the beats that fall from Madlib's arse-crack
    pays for records on his parent's credit card (with their consent)
    provokes self-hating in myself as a lactose-tolerant listener and purchaser of hippedy-hop

seems like a decent, regular-ass dude in this interview, but i can't say i'm a fan of his music. i can see his appeal for a certain crowd though[/b]

Markets are increasingly turning to sales via a person who most closely resembles their target audience imo. Shit, for UK heads, how long before Dr Who is one of the 14 year-old boys that watch it?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    b/w

ems new single went nowhere. thank god. hes way off target
    could have sworn it went #1 on the hot 100?

Sold a boatload of downloads, despite itself

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Yeah I mean I think it sucks don't get me wrong

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah I mean I think it sucks don't get me wrong

Truly an awful record.

Does dude even have an audience any more?

Tough to imagine anybody over 15 caring about his music, and all of his original fans have aged out of the demographic.

I think I'd actually bet on Asher Roth over him in '09, despite the fact that Roth's gimmick is so thin (eminem, minus the talent and the angst).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    To cleanse the palate:

C'mon dude, still sellin' weight and still flippin' keys and still killin' and/or havin' muhf*ckas killed in your raps is just as corny as goofy Frat Hop and you know it.

thank you.

LOL, dude, it's well known that you don't even like rap (Herm is merely misguided).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't get how the whiteboy rapper is still a novelty in 2009..

Is it that or the fact the Roth comes across as a novelty act?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i read up on this Asher dude and was astounded!

the first CD he bought was Dave Matthews Band jesussss

he was quoted as saying something like "i think rap will be easy to do"

basically his whole career is based his first time experiences with booze, drugs and girls...

basically what most of us here experienced in high school...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    if he's Amish and this whole thing is part of rumspringa - coming-of-age ritual of young adults going away to experience the (sins/trappings of the) real world before commiting to Amish life - that would be interesting. but his raps would still blow.

if he's Amish and this whole thing is part of rumspringa - coming-of-age ritual of young adults going away to experience the (sins/trappings of the) real world before commiting to Amish life - that would be interesting. but his raps would still blow.

yea but he isnt Amish so this shit is boring

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Yeah, this dude seems to have been built in a lab to appeal to MTV's target demo groups. Truly awful.

Yeah, this dude seems to have been built in a lab to appeal to MTV's target demo groups. Truly awful.

he is typecasted. i never see him not wearing the college shirt..

career is over before it started....what is he gonna rap about after college

going to night school to finish his degree in computer science? trying to find a babysitter?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    F*ck it - after hearing this play on Hot 97 a few times, I found this strangely appealing.

Paul Barman needs to battle this dude.

I'm eagerly awaiting Faux's report on whether Harlem is bumping the Roth.

I didn't think I'd like this, but its not the worst thing I've ever heard. The beat is nice.

F*ck it - after hearing this play on Hot 97 a few times, I found this strangely appealing.

Paul Barman needs to battle this dude.

I'm eagerly awaiting Faux's report on whether Harlem is bumping the Roth.

I didn't think I'd like this, but its not the worst thing I've ever heard. The beat is nice.

the beat is awesome. his raps suck. even Snoop had central themes..

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    haters mad cuz he makin that money!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Black people know who Asher Roth is. Stop being racist, internets.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Why do white rappers always have to pronounce Rs like that? It hurts.

Hemol I'm shocked.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    To cleanse the palate:

Herm, you look a whole lot like Kermit the Frog to me right now, liesurely riding a bicycle singing "why are there so many rap songs about rainbows?"

• I found myself liking that Jamie Foxx joint, "Blame It on the Alcohol." Weird how Autotune sounds so perfectly normal these days, you barely notice it.

Sorry to come into this thread and not discuss Asher Roth (I've successfully avoided him thus far and plan to continue doing so), but Manute Bol One's comment reminded me of something. I recently got sucked into one of those VH1 shows on the '90s and heard Cher "Believe" for the first time in years (sorry, it was inescapable in San Francisco when it came out). Remember how weird her voice sounded on that song? Now it sounds positively tame.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

it does. It does hurt. Seeing as how dude isn't from the Bay (where I first heard that r-talking), I'm inclined to believe that White Rapper Talk has reached some sort of universal commonality across the world or something. Like Super Flaming Gay Guy Talk.

this thread is great, though: I already learned about Asher Roth a few months ago on here, but now I know MTV is still doing Spring Break. That blows my mind.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

it does. It does hurt. Seeing as how dude isn't from the Bay (where I first heard that r-talking), I'm inclined to believe that White Rapper Talk has reached some sort of universal university commonality across the world internet or something. Like Super Flaming Gay Guy Talk.

this thread is great, though: I already learned about Asher Roth a few months ago on here, but now I know MTV is still doing Spring Break. That blows my mind.

Fixed!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Pyro > Asher Roth

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    To cleanse the palate:

Also, they don't say a thing about killing anyone in this song so far as I can understand. Talking about carrying guns, yes. Killing people, nope. You might want to check your southern rapper stereotype before you apply it to every dude with an drawl, a grill, and lyrics about selling drugs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I found myself liking that Jamie Foxx joint, "Blame It on the Alcohol." Weird how Autotune sounds so perfectly normal these days, you barely notice it.

Sorry to come into this thread and not discuss Asher Roth (I've successfully avoided him thus far and plan to continue doing so), but Manute Bol One's comment reminded me of something. I recently got sucked into one of those VH1 shows on the '90s and heard Cher "Believe" for the first time in years (sorry, it was inescapable in San Francisco when it came out). Remember how weird her voice sounded on that song? Now it sounds positively tame.

Personally, I think this just confirms the secret in-the-closet history of the queer influence on hip-hop.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

it does. It does hurt. Seeing as how dude isn't from the Bay (where I first heard that r-talking), I'm inclined to believe that White Rapper Talk has reached some sort of universal university commonality across the world internet or something. Like Super Flaming Gay Guy Talk.

Fixed!

Is it though? Look - I never heard Roth until I heard him getting played - middle of the day - on Hot 97. I'm pretty sure the station doesn't share much with most college radio playlists.

Slight tangent: maybe it makes sense but it's weird to me that Eminem seems wholly irrelevant nowadays. Of course, having dipped out for a few years doesn't help the career either.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Is it though? Look - I never heard Roth until I heard him getting played - middle of the day - on Hot 97. I'm pretty sure the station doesn't share much with most college radio playlists.

Hey O, did you hear that Lark cut or "College?" I thought I had ducked dude's whole steez until "College" came on while I was tuned into B96, which is the hip-hop/R&B/Dance station aimed at white people. I groaned, but I wasn't surprised. B96's audience is Asher's prime demographic.