Asher Roth???

hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
So I stumbled upon some youtube video where Devin the Dude is making a song with a skinny white guy. First I thought he was a producer or something, but apparently he's a rapper. I visited his myspace and I see tons of other big name rappers/ producers co-signing him, Beanie Sigel calling him "the future". And wow-- it's Paul Barman all over again. What am I missing here????

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    worst schitt ever

• Beans said that??b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121worst schitt ever b,121b,121h,121

• He raps about being in college and has a voice like Eminem so he's TOTALLY AWESOME!b,121b,121

• Quote:h,121b,121worst schitt ever b,121b,121h,121
    b,121Wait...have you seen the video? I mean, he knows black people and he raps!b,121And Beany Seagull rides so...what more do you need? Cop that schitt!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    F*ck it - after hearing this play on Hot 97 a few times, I found this strangely appealing.

Paul Barman needs to battle this dude.

I'm eagerly awaiting Faux's report on whether Harlem is bumping the Roth.

• F*ck it - after hearing this play on Hot 97 a few times, I found this strangely appealing.

Paul Barman needs to battle this dude.

I'm eagerly awaiting Faux's report on whether Harlem is bumping the Roth.

damn it

that wasn't that bad either.

F*ck

The beat is nice. But I can't imagine listening to an entire album of rhymes like this. Or Roth's voice for that matter.

• Let's not get carried away here. I thought this would be terrible and it wasn't, it was kinda nice.

I have to say, it was weird listening to commercial radio again (while I was out in NY and driving between NJ-NY-CT-MA) since I almost NEVER listen to it out here in LA. Much of what I heard, I was thinking, "you know, this isn't that bad."

I found myself liking that Jamie Foxx joint, "Blame It on the Alcohol." Weird how Autotune sounds so perfectly normal these days, you barely notice it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    the question remains:

can wh*te rappers only make it in the rap biz by using the:

-self-deprecating
    -drunk.all.the.time
    -i hate women - they hate me

Modus Operandi?

it makes me yearn for the days when wh*te rappers tried to pretend they were gangsta with cred. I mean, if Rick Ross can have a day job and still find time to be the kingpin of Miami, then some wh*te dude must be able to get a few others to believe he actually has street cred. right?

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i dont cosign asher, but oren...the dude who makes a few of his beats is crazy on the beats.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The beat is nice. But I can't imagine listening to an entire album of rhymes like this. Or Roth's voice for that matter.

Me neither, but I have to say I'm not mad at that track. I've said before that if you're gonna bite Eminem (and he's still doing that) you have to at least be clever, and that track was decent.

Even if he did a track with a freshly-reanimated Biggie Smalls I wouldn't be checking for him, but this one at least lets me know he's not a complete joke. Joke meaning bad not joke meaning "wink/nudge/irony/aren't I funny."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I need a as well, as I first heard this guy's music last week. It was that song where he beat-jacks "10% Dis" and raps about how much he loves college because it's, like, one big frat party, broseph! Shit was terrible in a way that's bound to make it popular.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    yea the shit is horrible

seems to be the solo version of the Flobots

and where are they?

hopefully the same thing becomes of this guy

• broseph

the question remains:

-self-deprecating
    -drunk.all.the.time

Modus Operandi?

For real.

Maybe they're aiming for the "Gossip Girl" demographic.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

seems to be the solo version of the Flobots

I saw these guys on some late night show. They were so embarrassingly bad that I had to click back to that channel at the end to find out who they were so I could warn people.

Let's not get carried away here. I thought this would be terrible and it wasn't, it was kinda nice.

No, it was awful.

TRUE COLORS REVEALED

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    the question remains:

-self-deprecating
    -drunk.all.the.time

Modus Operandi?

it makes me yearn for the days when wh*te rappers tried to pretend they were gangsta with cred. I mean, if Rick Ross can have a day job and still find time to be the kingpin of Miami, then some wh*te dude must be able to get a few others to believe he actually has street cred. right?

I've never been much of a fan of white rappers. Most lack the voice that even goes with the music. In fact, I go as far as to avoid white rappers when able. But within the past week or so I've been bumping this COD Ova the Stove Vol. 3 mix cd...and damned if S-Dot and Tukdagat, the 2 white rappers in the clique, don't for the most part go off as hard as just about anyone. This is a serious mix cd and I give it my highest recommendation...

Let's not get carried away here. I thought this would be terrible and it wasn't, it was kinda nice.

No, it was awful.

TRUE COLORS REVEALED

It's patently awful, Phonics. What is STILL wrong with your ears?

I've never been much of a fan of white rappers. Most lack the voice that even goes with the music.

YOU FIND THAT THEY LACK CLUB COMPLIANCE?

I've never been much of a fan of white rappers. Most lack the voice that even goes with the music.

Most don't even meet COFFEE SHOP COMPATIBILITY.

I believe the correct term is "CAF??BILITY".

No, it was awful.

TRUE COLORS REVEALED

Confessional: after hearing "Day N Nite" for about the 13th time, even I started to like it.

Playlist rotation = vindicated.

I believe the correct term is "CAF??BILITY".

Not to be confused with CAPPACINIBILITY:

A lot of them are CANDY AISLE KOSHER though, I'll give them that.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Seeing Asher Roth randomly at SXSW reminded me of everything that I hate about rap, college and white people simultaneously.

Seeing Asher Roth randomly at SXSW reminded me of everything that I hate about rap, college and white people simultaneously.

LOL. Hat trick!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    college = afro man "because i got high"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts