What is the Gen X Sgt Pepper?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Harvey, Did you eat some breakfest? Or just a lot of coffee?

I got to work an hour earlier than usual for a meeting that didn't happen. No coffee, just some grapefruit juice and a granola bar...and a bong hit.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

anyone with the Cult & Soundgarden in their Top 25 is immediately

---

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    a bong hit.

ha ha. looking forward to that later. got a 4 day weekend.

anyways. how about that Tupac LP? Get Western with me. Just for fun.

Edit: I don't suspect that many of the people I remember loving the hell out of Nothing's Shocking share your sentiment that it's somehow lost its luster over time...especially not to the point of calling it "embarrassing".

I had the cassette & am ashamed

it was pretty silly

white-man dreadlock headbanging, no thanks.

You are ashamed???

Okay, now it seems we are entering the world of hipsteur self-loathing...which is yet another Generation Y[/b] trait.

lol, I think I'm exactly the same age as you fool.

you like everything you did when you were 16???

congrats

I sure don't sell out the stuff I liked at 16 to the point of now being embarrassed of it. Such practice makes me think of one thing...

anyone with the Cult & Soundgarden in their Top 25 is immediately

---

Oh, I know...how much of a jock can a dude who played both football and basketball possibly be?

He probably likes 2Pac as well...icky.

you really do need a sandwich

it's not my fault you have bad taste in music

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Oh my.

I guess I'm partly to blame for this detour into Retardedville.

a bong hit.

Can't even do it. Strictly isn't it. Me Aganst is spotty. All Eyez is probably the consensus pick, but I personally can't pull the trigger on it.

It's true...Biggie has a better album than 2Pac does. But to call Ready to Die the marquee, you miss the boat on 2Pac still being 10Xs more felt/influential.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    a bong hit.

Can't even do it. Strictly isn't it. Me Aganst is spotty. All Eyez is probably the consensus pick, but I personally can't pull the trigger on it.

It's true...Biggie has a better album than 2Pac does. But to call Ready to Die the marquee, you miss the boat on 2Pac still being 10Xs more felt/influential.

Whatever.....

Neither of them belong in this album conversation.

a bong hit.

Whatever.....

Neither of them belong in this album conversation.

Yeah, as much as Pac has become an icon...it's mostly with people younger than us.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    out of curiosity i asked a co-worker who is my age and listens to a lot of music and not that much rap.

his reply as to the defining album of our generation =

game over. case closed. go home and get some sleep, tomorrow is another day.
    booyaka!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i will gladly admit that i havent heard probably half the albums in this thread.

therefore, this thread is dumb. a good discussion idea but sgt. peppers is a very unique situation that i dont think will EVER be replicated. everbody knows who the beatles are, 95% of the people would know the name/lryics/melody to at LEAST one song off the album, i really dont think that can be said about anything else in this thread, at all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    everbody knows who the beatles are, 95% of the people would know the name/lryics/melody to at LEAST one song off the album

Not in the Local Black Exp.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    everbody knows who the beatles are, 95% of the people would know the name/lryics/melody to at LEAST one song off the album, i really dont think that can be said about anything else in this thread, at all.

let me just reiterate:

though i completely agree with the rest of your statement.

everbody knows who the beatles are, 95% of the people would know the name/lryics/melody to at LEAST one song off the album, i really dont think that can be said about anything else in this thread, at all.

let me just reiterate:

though i completely agree with the rest of your statement.

whooooops. ok, i stand corrected.

everbody knows who the beatles are, 95% of the people would know the name/lryics/melody to at LEAST one song off the album

i want somebody to take a poll. has to be Gen-Xers only, too. no li'l kids. i guarantee a lot of the dudes will at least recognize A song.

• Sgt Pepper = only this important to white folks

20 PAGER

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not in the contemporary LBE, but I'd say that during the 60s/70s there were more covers of Beatles songs than of any other white group I can think of. Plenty of those are obvious attempts at a cash-in (tepid organ funk-related), but there had to have been a certain level of familiarity for so many of them to exist. And some of them are really good (The Moments, Eddie Hazel, Wilson Pickett...).

Sgt Pepper = only this important to white folks who feel themselves quickly losing their sweaty-palmed grip on what's really.[/b]

20 PAGER

Not in the contemporary LBE, but I'd say that during the 60s/70s there were more covers of Beatles songs than of any other white group I can think of. Plenty of those are obvious attempts at a cash-in (tepid organ funk-related), but there had to have been a certain level of familiarity for so many of them to exist. And some of them are really good (The Moments, Eddie Hazel, Wilson Pickett...).

But, actually, I would say it's the pre-Sgt. Pepper's work, much of which was more directly influenced by Black music, that seems to have resonated more with Black artists.

• That's not true - "I Want You (She's So heavy)" and "Rocky Raccoon" were from Abby Road and The White Album, respectively... not to mention the various cover-concept-albums based around the former by George Benson, Booker T & The MGs, etc

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

But, actually, I would say it's the pre-Sgt. Pepper's work, much of which was more directly influenced by Black music, that seems to have resonated more with Black artists.

REVOLVER, no doubt.

• true.

What, besides Eleanor Rigby, gets as much play as the two albums mentioned above?

That's not true - "I Want You (She's So heavy)" and "Rocky Raccoon" were from Abby Road and The White Album, respectively... not to mention the various cover-concept-albums based around the former by George Benson, Booker T & The MGs, etc

Dude, do not tet my Beatles knowledge--they are one of like five white artists I know anything about and I will not back down easily.

Those were just two examples.

You're probably right, though.

one might suggest that the Beatles were more influencial on black artists rather than the actual black record buying public

doing a beatles cover is a no-brainer attempt at a hit, crossover hit or not.

• Yeah wasn't trying to single out just those to songs but I find the covers-as-evidence-of-popularity-with-Black-audiences a stretch.

I'd say that's way more due to record labels than overwhelming desire by the audience or their fans to put Beatles songs on their records.

one might suggest that the Beatles were more influencial on black artists rather than the actual black record buying public

doing a beatles cover is a no-brainer attempt at a hit, crossover hit or not.

For sure, but I have a hard time believing that some of that familiarity didn't filter out to the broader Black public.

Yeah wasn't trying to single out just those to songs but I find the covers-as-evidence-of-popularity-with-Black-audiences a stretch.

I'd say that's way more due to record labels than overwhelming desire by the audience or their fans to put Beatles songs on their records.

Not popularity--familiarity. I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just saying: if it is evidence of anything at all, there is a greater amount of that evidence w/r/t the Beatles than any other white artist I can think of. And there have certainly been other massively popular white artists that didn't inspire Black artists/producers/execs to record versions to anything like the same degree.