What is the Gen X Sgt Pepper?

14567810»

Comments

• Eh, I can think of white artists I see far more frequently in Black collections...

but that's getting off track. My only point in even going there was to say that this discussion is kind of apples and oranges because the influence of the Black listenership and buyership in 2008 is totally different than it was in 1967-68.

We can say in the abstract that SOC has the same overall qualities, capturing the zeitgeist, changing the game, other tropes... but the comparison to SPLHCB is invalid IMO.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Eh, I can think of white artists I see far more frequently in Black collections...

Well, that's true, too--I am not saying that they were the Black audience's favorite white artists, only that their music and influence was so pervasive at the time that I suspect there to have been some degree of familiarity and that the disproportionate number of covers may be evidence of that. Yeah, a lot of them were money grabs, but I also have to believe that at least some of those artists were realistic about their prospects of reaching beyond a Black audience and just liked the songs in question or thought that their audience would. Like I said, I don't care one way or the other--the Beatles/Sgt. Pepper's are definitely not at the center of any cosmology of popular music that I would support, so I think the whole project of identifying their contemporary equivalents is silly.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    With Reggae, wouldn't the Beatles have much more impact on blacks as pertains to music (British/Jamaica ties). Than the US? Cover versions is obvious. But I'm guessing there was a small bit of influence on some. And vice versa.

Reggae covers by the plenty... I wish that a larger portion of them were better tho.

• Again, they're just not records I see a lot in Jamaican collections either. Sure there are some nice covers but just like US artists they're mostly crossover/society tunes. Not to mention reggae is built on covers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sgt Pepper = only this important to white folks

I have a killer Natalie Cole Version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, but after that I dont know any local Black folks, older than me, that own this album.