What is the Gen X Sgt Pepper?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
or either way...

Comments

• Are those our only choices?

Define "Sgt. Pepper" for me. What is a "Sgt. Pepper" album?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

VS

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

or

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Something we will fetishize and put on umpteenzillion best of lists until we die pooping in our pants at the fifth Pixies final reunion tour featuring Steve Albini on harmonica.

record that changes the game and defines a generation

I threw Christopher Wallace on there at the last second becuase I felt all cracker bad and shit.

I guess that would be their

record that changes the game and defines a generation

That's what I figured.

I'm not in Generation X, but Nevermind still has relevancy among my students.

Madonna?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    though i have a hard time comparing it to sgt pepper and i'd rather listen to nevermind, but this one seems to have had the biggest impact on people from my generation. remember this guy?

though i have a hard time comparing it to sgt pepper and i'd rather listen to nevermind, but this one seems to have had the biggest impact on people from my generation. remember this guy?

disqualified due to conflict of interest. Macca = the boy is mine etc.

NEXT

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    To qualify as a Gen X Sgt. Pepper, it'd have to be an album whose impact wasn't just game-changing but also compelled everyone around them to respond/react.

While, in my private mind garden, I'd like to champion this album:

I think, in all objectivity, it'd have to be more like this album:

To qualify as a Gen X Sgt. Pepper, it'd have to be an album whose impact wasn't just game-changing but also compelled everyone around them to respond/react.

While, in my private mind garden, I'd like to champion this album:

I think, in all objectivity, it'd have to be more like this album:

I can see ITANOM, but the latter is 25-40% crap.

"like a cookie, they all crumble"

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I'd say it'd be...

I don't really ride for it that hard, but it seemed to get plenty of shine from people I didn't expect to dig it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Probably some U2 dreck.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I think to qualify the record in question has to change the game and force others to react, but it also needs to be so unavoidable that even people who are out of the target audience and don't listen to whatever genre the record is know some of the songs on the record. So things like "OK Computer", "It Takes A Nation Of Millions", or "Daydream Nation" (which I might vote for otherwise) don't qualify in my eyes.

I think you could make strong cases for "Nevermind", "The Chronic", and "Ready To Die". I'm trying to think of others but it's tough.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Can we get the parameters of "Generation X"?

About 35 years old and American.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ~Born in the 60's or 70's.

Probably some U2 dreck.

That would be our Exile on Main Street.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Tubular Bells of Gen X?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I think to qualify the record in question has to change the game and force others to react, but it also needs to be so unavoidable that even people who are out of the target audience and don't listen to whatever genre the record is know some of the songs on the record. So things like "OK Computer", "It Takes A Nation Of Millions", or "Daydream Nation" (which I might vote for otherwise) don't qualify in my eyes.

I think you could make strong cases for "Nevermind", "The Chronic", and "Ready To Die". I'm trying to think of others but it's tough.

Interesting. I think that popular music has diversified significantly since The Beatles released Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, and with that diversification the market, the audience, and the critics have fragmented somewhat. You still get people who try to be general music critics, but they tend to fall victim to very salient in-group critiques like when, say, Christgau tries to review rap records. He does ok at it, but at the end, he is

So if we try to essentialize Sgt. Peppers into a genre, the genre being Rock, I think that the modern equivalent is likely to be OK Computer. All rock critics fawn over that record, and for good reason. To sound like a total ponce (which I sometimes am), it captured the zeitgeist. But then, we don't see a lot of non-white acts in other genres being influenced by OK Computer to the point of covering its songs.

Nevermind has broader crossover appeal, but not by that much. Smells Like Teen Spirit was a much bigger single than anything off of OK Computer (which was deliberately not single oriented), so your rapsters are almost certain to have heard the song (whether they liked it or not I cannot say). And again, you don't see many soul acts covering Nirvarna (though you do have Herbie Hancock's version of All Apologies from New Standards, and Tori Amos' version of Smells Like Teen Spirit...) (and if you judge by which artists have covers in other genres, I have this really shitty punk cover of Burn Hollywood Burn on seven inch...)

If you want to talk about a record that changed the way genres and audiences were defined and understood, I think you've got to predate "The Chronic" and head either to N.W.A. "Straight Outta Compton" or the Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill," and probably the latter. It was one or both of those records that changed the market and the genres and the audience and "suddenly" white kids in the suburbs were listening to rap, and the labels knew it. THAT changed the game, and paved the way for the multi-platinum successes of The Chronic and Ready to Die.

So it depends on what you mean when you ask for this generation's Sgt. Peppers. If the question is which rock record from the 1990s will remain in the top five of rockist critics for all time, the answer is either Nevermind or OK Computer, and maybe both. If the question is which record of the last 20 years fundamentally changed the way music is marketed and the way its audience is understood (which I'm not sure that Sgt. Peppers did really), I think the answer is probably either "Straight Outta Compton" or "Licensed to Ill."

My two.
    JRoot

Unquestionably.

it captured the zeitgeist.

Jan Wenner called. He wants his wiener back.

• Yeah, I'd say this is it. Bono has the international stature of a Lennon or McCartney.

I'm not sure how influential it was -- I wasn't analyzing music when it came out.

Yo, before we can identify Gen X's Sargent Pep's, I think we need to identify Gen X's Beatles. Who's that? Prolly Nirvana, I guess. Nirvanamania approximates Beatlemania closer than anyone else I can think of off the top.

• Yeah, them, too. They don't have a standout album like Joshua Tree, though..

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Probably some U2 dreck.

That would be our Exile on Main Street.

And I was beginning to enjoy the more mellow, laid back Fatback 2008.

• not for nothen but i think it would be something more along the lines of the orb or some such "electronic dance music" thing. im not a part of this world but this was about the time when i felt white folks really lost their minds.