What is the Gen X Sgt Pepper?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    It's a trap to frame the discussion around Sgt. Pepper. Gen X has ushered the replacement of Rock with Hip Hop--not just with popular and accessible music, but also in terms of high(er) art. Nevermind was the last rock album that had both of those. OK Computer may have approached it, but doesn't have the crossover aspect. (BTW--In Utero is 100X better.) Because Gen X effectively saw the end of rock, there's no way a rock album can be our defining statement. No way.

Therefore, it has to be a hip-hop record. My vote is for RTD. I can see the merits of Nation of Millions or SOC, but in the end, I think RTD contains an equally effective social message, albeit not as explicit, that is wrapped in the tragic and inspirational story of one man. It is both a myth and a cold reality delivered with a level of musical proficiency that equals Coltrane and Hendrix. At the same time, you can drop something like Juicy or Big Poppa anytime anywhere.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Therefore, it has to be a hip-hop record. My vote is for RTD. I can see the merits of Nation of Millions or SOC, but in the end, I think RTD contains an equally effective social message, albeit not as explicit, that is wrapped in the tragic and inspirational story of one man. It is a myth and a cold reality delivered with a level of musical proficiency that equals Coltrane and Hendrix. At the same time, you can always drop something like Juicy or Big Poppa anytime anywhere.

2Pac > Biggie.

Therefore, it has to be a hip-hop record. My vote is for RTD. I can see the merits of Nation of Millions or SOC, but in the end, I think RTD contains an equally effective social message, albeit not as explicit, that is wrapped in the tragic and inspirational story of one man. It is a myth and a cold reality delivered with a level of musical proficiency that equals Coltrane and Hendrix. At the same time, you can always drop something like Juicy or Big Poppa anytime anywhere.

2Pac > Biggie.

^^^^^thinks that embarrassing Jane's Addiction album is a contender.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's a trap to frame the discussion around Sgt. Pepper. Gen X has ushered the replacement of Rock with Hip Hop--not just with popular and accessible music, but also in terms of high(er) art. Nevermind was the last rock album that had both of those. OK Computer may have approached it, but doesn't have the crossover aspect. (BTW--In Utero is 100X better.) Because Gen X effectively saw the end of rock, there's no way a rock album can be our defining statement. No way.

Therefore, it has to be a hip-hop record. My vote is for RTD. I can see the merits of Nation of Millions or SOC, but in the end, I think RTD contains an equally effective social message, albeit not as explicit, that is wrapped in the tragic and inspirational story of one man. It is both a myth and a cold reality delivered with a level of musical proficiency that equals Coltrane and Hendrix. At the same time, you can drop something like Juicy or Big Poppa anytime anywhere.

Well...when you put it like that...

There are times when one could argue that Tupac seems like a better MC. Especially when doing that fast rapping. He was also an incredibly prolific writer. I ride for many of his records. But over time, Biggie's work reveals more depth and richness.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Gen X effectively saw the end of rock

really?

---

Well...when you put it like that...

I haven't been sitting here waiting to trap people. Your points were well made. I actually spent a lot time offline in the "real" world listening to records and thinking about this. A lot of other good points in this thread too.

2Pac > Biggie.

^^^^^apparently wasn't around when it came out.

There are times when one could argue that Tupac seems like a better MC. Especially when doing that fast rapping. He was also an incredibly prolific writer. I ride for many of his records. But over time, Biggie's work reveals more depth and richness.

To you.

really?

---

really

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm saying I'm looking at differently because of what you wrote! That you make sense!

2Pac > Biggie.

I was and I bought it. And listened to it over and over. Have you actually listened to it lately? It's pretty silly at best.

To you.

So what Tupac LP trumps RTD?

• Biggie = way better rapper than 2Pac

2Pac = way bigger impact than Biggie

10 PAGER

really?

---

really

just because rock sucks doesn't mean it's done

kids these days are listening to some shit that sounds alot like rock

rap has had less impact than yall are giving it credit for I think

2Pac > Biggie.

I was and I bought it. And listened to it over and over. Have you actually listened to it lately? It's pretty silly at best.

To you.

Edit: I don't suspect that many of the people I remember loving the hell out of Nothing's Shocking share your sentiment that it's somehow lost its luster over time...especially not to the point of calling it "embarrassing".

To you.

So what Tupac LP trumps RTD?

Stop forcing your Western standards on others.

can someone translate this for me?

Edit: I don't suspect that many of the people I remember loving the hell out of Nothing's Shocking share your sentiment that it's somehow lost its luster over time...especially not to the point of calling it "embarrassing".

I had the cassette & am ashamed

it was pretty silly

white-man dreadlock headbanging, no thanks.

To you.

Plaese stop writing that.

rock isn't dead, it just sucks.

---

The White Stripes are better than Kanye West.

it was pretty silly

There you go, straight from a Rock and Roll Rider.

rock isn't dead, it just sucks.

---

it doesn't suck. there's a lot of good things out. it's just not as relevant.

it was pretty silly

You are ashamed???

Okay, now it seems we are entering the world of hipsteur self-loathing...which is yet another Generation Y[/b] trait.

The White Stripes are better than Kanye West.

Jane's Addiction is better than Kanye West.

Next

it's just not as relevant.

to you

Harvey, Did you eat some breakfest? Or just a lot of coffee?

it's just not as relevant.

to you

Right. I should have clarified that point much earlier My bad..

it was pretty silly

You are ashamed???

Okay, now it seems we are entering the world of hipsteur self-loathing...which is yet another Generation Y[/b] trait.

lol, I think I'm exactly the same age as you fool.

you like everything you did when you were 16???

congrats