Barack wins

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

BONUS TRACK - he makes statements like this - "I absolutely believe to my soul that this corporate greed and corporate power has an ironclad hold on our democracy."

Hello, he's a Frickin' trial lawyer - he has no soul.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I really like Senator Obama and really wrestled between the two for a long time, but as a son of a extremely ill man with no health insurance, the Health Care issue is a major factor in my decision.

with the most sincere wishes for your fathers speedy recovery and without trying to sound like a total cynic, I still can't get behind this logic.

Edwards and anyone else can claim whatever policy they want. Millions to the poor, free houses to homeless, and Skull Snap records to all of us, but without partisan support, I don't see how any of this 'talk' means anything.

People give Obama grief for playing the middle road, but in a country where things seems so divisive, I can't see any other way. Claiming that you will throw out all Corporate greed out of politics only works if the players are willing to work with you. I see no way how to strong arm these people. I don't see Edwards having any pull with the 30-40% of the Republican party that may wish to not see his policy work go into play.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The threat of Obama being assinated is very real. It did not end at JFK MLK RFK. Just recently John John, Ron Brown and Paul Wellstone have been murdered. I'm not talking about lizard people. I'm talking about the same people who stole the last 2 elections. Those people who tried to make an Imperial President out of Nixon and worked to get back in with W. W who's dad was head of the CIA. No wild conspiracy, straight forward murder for power.

First off, the guy has won a single primary and you have already indicted a whole, completely unrelated, swathe of the country for his assasination. I mean, not only is this a morbid and irrational speculation, its pure race baiting. Would you ask the same question about Hillary, or Edwards? No. You think that everyone would just go homicidal if an African American were elected? Its a disgusting and pathetic assumption.

ill retract the personal comment.

4/6 (66%) of the people I mentioned were White. What are talking about?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The #1 reason I support Obama over Richardson and Kusinich and Edwards is I think her is more electable.

The #1 reason I support Obama over Clinton and Edwards is because I think he is more unifying. Shown last night by the number of independants and Republicans who voted for him.

Why unifying important. The war profitering that is going on now needs to be stopped. Those involved need to be investigated and charged. I'm talking about no bid contracts out of the VP's office. I'm talking about billions of unaccounted for dollars. I'm talking about companys that got paid to rebuild schools and infrustructor that was never rebuilt.

America must stop torturing and disappearing people. Full Stop. Those who ok'd and participated in this practice need to be brought to justice.

If Clinton were to try to investigate those things it would be seen as purley partisan. Obama would have a better chance of standing above the fray and seeing that it gets done.

#2 reason for supporting Obama. The rest of the world is gonna love the dude. Never before has America been so hated and marginalized on the world stage. I'm sure Clinton or Richardson or McCain could restore I standing with world leaders. Only Obama will restore our standing with the people of the world.

Totally agree with you on #2.

The 2 reasons I'm going to caucus for Edwards on the 19th.

1 - Edwards is still the only front-runner who will pull out all the troops and do it as quickly as possible.

2 - Edwards is the only one of the three front-runners who has a universal health care plan that will lead to the single-payer kind all other civilized countries have. His plan doesn't go as fast as I would like, but he is the only one who has correctly pointed out that the health insurance companies are the enemy and should not have a seat at the table.

BONUS TRACK - he makes statements like this - "I absolutely believe to my soul that this corporate greed and corporate power has an ironclad hold on our democracy."

I really like Senator Obama and really wrestled between the two for a long time, but as a son of a extremely ill man with no health insurance, the Health Care issue is a major factor in my decision.

Last year I said I will support who ever is in favor of single payer. Then I got cold feet, what with that being DK. I love the way Edwards talks, but saying the corporations are the problem is a recipe for losing in the fall.

Good luck and get well to your dad.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

with the most sincere wishes for your fathers speedy recovery and without trying to sound like a total cynic, I still can't get behind this logic.

Edwards and anyone else can claim whatever policy they want. Millions to the poor, free houses to homeless, and Skull Snap records to all of us, but without partisan support, I don't see how any of this 'talk' means anything.

People give Obama grief for playing the middle road, but in a country where things seems so divisive, I can't see any other way. Claiming that you will throw out all Corporate greed out of politics only works if the players are willing to work with you. I see no way how to strong arm these people. I don't see Edwards having any pull with the 30-40% of the Republican party that may wish to not see his policy work go into play.
    ^^^^^^^^this

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Huckabee surge has satirists smiling
    Republican who fell prey to `igloo' prank faces questions about grasp of foreign policy

Dec 15, 2007 04:30 AM
    Tim Harper
    WASHINGTON BUREAU

DES MOINES, Iowa???You don't want to believe it.

You just don't want to believe that a leading candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, two steps from power in the free world, really thought that Canada had a national igloo.

When Rick Mercer comes on the phone to talk about Mike Huckabee, we expect he'll explain it was a joke.

Surely, he'll assure us that the wisecracking former Arkansas governor was just playing along for a laugh in Mercer's now-iconic Talking To Americans television spots.

No, what Mercer tells us should cause shudders in all igloos across the country, from split-levels to bungalows.

"He wasn't in on it," Mercer says. "The governor of Arkansas thought there was a Canadian national igloo. [/b]The governor of Arkansas would have believed the world was flat."

Huckabee last month told radio interviewer Don Imus that he didn't have the foreign affairs knowledge of his Republican rivals, "but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

You have to wonder where he spent the night before Mercer talked his way into his office in Little Rock, telling him that Canadians were fearful of losing the igloo to global warming and wanting to hear from the governor of Arkansas on this issue.

Mercer's hilarious send-up of U.S. ignorance of Canada is best known for his Michigan ambush of soon-to-be president George W. Bush, who happily accepted the endorsement of Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine," a Mercer-inspired play on the name of then-prime minister Jean Chr??tien.[/b]

Mercer admitted this week he's keeping an eye on the sudden emergence of Huckabee, the ordained Baptist minister who went from affable also-ran to the leader among Republicans in the first-in-the-nation caucuses here in Iowa in 20 days.

Huckabee is also running second nationally behind former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani.

"I've got him on a Google alert," said Mercer.

Huckabee was the first governor he talked his way into seeing for his 2001 segment, which ran originally as part of his This Hour Has 22 Minutes show, then was spun off into an hour-long special.

In front of the Arkansas legislature building, he tells passersby of the endangered Canadian Parliament buildings.

"It's an igloo, you see," he tells one woman.

"And we're worried about global warming and the fact that it might melt. So we're putting a dome over it. But, in order to pay for it, we have to attract tourists.

"Would you be interested in visiting Canada's national igloo?"

"Absolutely," says one woman.

He then convinced Huckabee aides that it was important that the Arkansas governor speak out on this, and the result:

"Hi, I'm Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas wanting to say: `Congratulations, Canada, on preserving your national igloo.'"

Mercer remembers that Huckabee first asked whether this was a controversial igloo in Canada.[/b]

"He had at least a glimmer of political acumen," he says.

Subsequently, Arkansas reporters called Mercer and there were requests for the clip.

He didn't return the calls and didn't surrender the clip.

"I consider it our little joke," he says.

The Huckabee surge, fuelled by his Christian beliefs, easy manner and glib debate performances, caught the rest of the field off guard and he is now being snowed under by opposition research.

Huckabee calls it "dumpster diving" and likes to repeat a folksy aphorism, saying a pastor had once told him "if they're kicking you in the rear, it only means you are out in front."

But the early reviews on his life in the big leagues have not been encouraging.

He is facing pointed questions about his role in the release of an Arkansas rapist who went on to kill again.

He told Associated Press in 1992 that those carrying the AIDS virus should be isolated.[/b]

He had to admit to reporters that he knew nothing about a National Intelligence Estimate that had concluded Iran had dispensed with its nuclear weapons program in 2003, 24 hours after the story had dominated the news media around the world.[/b]

He has flip-flopped on the U.S. trade embargo against Cuba, once concluding it was bad for business, now seeking to strangle the Fidel Castro regime.

As governor, Huckabee supported in-state college tuition for children of illegal immigrants, saying the children should not pay for the sins of the parents.

Now, he is calling for all illegal immigrants to be sent home within 120 days.

Canadians should also be aware that he is proposing ending the exemption for Canadians and Mexicans under a program known as U.S. VISIT.

That means he would photograph and fingerprint every Canadian crossing the U.S. border by land, sea or air, but his campaign did not return phone calls seeking clarification on what that might do to commerce crossing the border.

They also did not return calls asking about his views on the igloo interview.

In the meantime, his evangelical roots give him the non-threatening cadence from the debate podium that voters like, turning Iowa into his own feel-good pulpit.

"Faith doesn't just influence me; it really defines me," he says in ad airing here, punctuated by the words "Christian Leader'' flashed on the screen.

He sprinkles his policy proposals with biblical references.

At the final Iowa Republican debate here this week, he said he would reduce the taxation red tape that hurts American business.

"I can't part the Red Sea, but I can part the red tape," he said.

He told The Des Moines Register, in a clip played at the debate: "If a person says, `I'm a person of faith but I don't let it influence me and I don't talk about it,' what they just told me is that there faith is so immaterial, insignificant and inconsequential that it really isn't a faith at all."

He explained his belief that everyone should have access to health care this way:

"Inasmuch as you've done it to these least of these, my brethren, you've done it unto me."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Whoaaaaa......what candidate is promising Skull Snaps LP's??

OG's or reissues???

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "This feels good. It's just like I imagined it when I was talking to my kindergarten teacher."

-- Sen. Barack Obama, quoted by the New York Observer, on his new status as Democratic frontrunner. Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign has claimed that Obama has been plotting a presidential run since he was in kindergarten.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    that huckabee piece is pretty smearrific

the dude is extremely likeable, if you can avoid thinking about the gay-bashing, evolution-denying prisoner-executing pro-life shit

• Keep in mind this is just the caucus. If Senator Obama ends up winning, shit, I'm a happy man. There are worse things in the world then having to cast a vote for this man.

I'm happy that my biggest dilemma is having to choose between these two candidates.

I secretly hope that when Senator Obama wins, he will pick up Senator Edwards as a running mate (Although it would be interesting to see his reaction to the invitation).

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    The threat of Obama being assinated is very real. It did not end at JFK MLK RFK. Just recently John John, Ron Brown and Paul Wellstone have been murdered. I'm not talking about lizard people. I'm talking about the same people who stole the last 2 elections. Those people who tried to make an Imperial President out of Nixon and worked to get back in with W. W who's dad was head of the CIA. No wild conspiracy, straight forward murder for power.

Thx...glad to see i'm not alone.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Thx...glad to see i'm not alone.

Someone please explain why "John John" was assassinated.

Because he tried to run against either Hillary Clinton for the Senate or George W. Bush for the Presidency in 2000...But none seems to know except Delbert...

???Subject was a qualified pilot, in control of his flight, flying a reasonably new aircraft, in excellent condition. Visibility was 8 miles. Wind, calm. All indication from Forensics and Physical evidence investigations lend themselves to a violent explosion, either from an altitude or barometric pressure device, or from a Particle Beam laser. [Delbert said Particle Beam laser was left out of final classified report] Aircraft ???broke up??? in mid-air, as evidenced by wide spread debris gathered from the ocean and several different beaches. This can only be caused by an onboard explosion, or an attack by a missile or Laser. [Delbert said missile and Laser were left out of final report] Considering the nature of current political leanings of subject and today???s political atmosphere in America, and the before-mentioned facts, there is little doubt that subject was assassinated. In fact, team [Interpol Serial Killer Alpha Team] considers this a Political Assassination of the highest order. It was meant to alleviate a potential threat to the ruling elite. And it succeeded.??? [From the JFK Jr. preliminary report, filed on July 19, 1999. This document has been authenticated by several intelligence agents; and we were told copies have been passed around the intelligence community for several years.]

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    also ... wellstone was assassinated? really?

Another plane crash...

• also ... wellstone was assassinated? really?

Wellstone's death was huge where I'm from (Duluth, MN). This city is a Democrat stronghold, and Wellstone was an idol around here.

Many people feel that his death was an assassination around these parts.

Our government has been lying to us about practically every matter of moment
    in our lives, including the tax cut, the SEC, Homeland Security, 9/11, and even
    Iraq. Covering up a crime of this magnitude would be nothing new, as the
    case of JFK vividly displays. But in Minnesota we ought to be able to do better.
    We should not let the death of man who courageous spoke up for the little guy
    go without thorough and competent investigation. If the plane was sabotaged,
    as I also believe, we have to come to grips with that fact and do what we can to
    bring the perpetrators to justice. That is the least we can do for Paul Wellstone.

oh brother.

Seacrest out.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Saying...I never get the conspiracy theories...if the gov't were competent enough to set up the assassinations of people like this...they can't keep, say, Trent Lott from making a public gaffe at a birthday party?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Although Ron Paul was murdered on Bill Clinton's watch...as have far too many of Bill Clinton's close business associates over the years.

Ron Paul is alive and well running for President and a representative of your beloved state of Texas.[/b]
    Ron Brown?
    Vince Foster? I'm assuming there are some crackpot theories you could bless us with, I'm all ears.

• Senator Obama is the second largest recipient of health industry payola

He gets a lot of ethanol money too, you can't run for president without $$$ but it's good to follow the trail of cash

that huckabee piece is pretty smearrific

Yeah, a lot of establishment Republicans don't like him at all. He would have a tough time in a general election, even Chuck Noris' fluorescent grin will have trouble leading him to victory there. "Christian" Hannity has maligned the minister & tried to sell Romney the heretic to his dimwitted listeners ... he has also implied that Barack's church is racist.

Romney and Rudy were also grinning like madmen yesterday; Romney looked like someone had also squeezed a lemon in his eyes and Rudy was somehow thrilled to have lost to Ron Paul by 6%.

Before Iowa, Barack was consistently about 4-5% down in NH, likely not anymore. Michigan & Florida will be harder as the candidates aren't campaigning there and Hillary is/was ahead by a large chunk, so momentum is key.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Although Ron Paul was murdered on Bill Clinton's watch...as have far too many of Bill Clinton's close business associates over the years.

Ron Paul is alive and well running for President and a representative of your beloved state of Texas.[/b]
    Ron Brown?
    Vince Foster? I'm assuming there are some crackpot theories you could bless us with, I'm all ears.

Yeah, I meant Ron Brown[/b]. He went down in a plane over Croatia in '96 and was found to also have an apparent bullet-hole in his head.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Saying...I never get the conspiracy theories...if the gov't were competent enough to set up the assassinations of people like this...they can't keep, say, Trent Lott from making a public gaffe at a birthday party?

Yeah, no kidding, even the CIA has a consistent record of failure in covert actions

I guess when 150 influent politicians die from plane crashes, people will start to wonder what's going on. I'm far from being a fan of conspiracy theories. But still, MLK, JFK and the whole Kennedy family, Wellstone, all these people are related on one way or another. It's up to you to give credit to any suspicion raised by ex-FBI and CIA agents. I made my choice. Again i mentionned a name, Delbert. Google that. And see for yourself.

PS : the fuck they care about Trent Lott?? Wellstone wasn't a random Dem. Check the History. Him elected at the senate, the Republicans would have lost their majority. They couldn't afford that...It don't means Republicans are to be suspected. It could be an isolated act, a small lobby working behind the curtains, but whatever it is, the result is there : political assassinations are real. Everywhere in the world (cf Pakistan last week)...

I guess when 150 influent politicians die from plane crashes, people will start to wonder what's going on. I'm far from being a fan of conspiracy theories. But still, MLK, JFK and the whole Kennedy family, Wellstone, all these people are related on one way or another. It's up to you to give credit to any suspicion raised by ex-FBI and CIA agents. I made my choice. Again i mentionned a name, Delbert. Google that. And see for yourself.

yeah they are related by the fact that they fly around a lot.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Saying...I never get the conspiracy theories...if the gov't were competent enough to set up the assassinations of people like this...they can't keep, say, Trent Lott from making a public gaffe at a birthday party?

Yeah, no kidding, even the CIA has a consistent record of failure in covert actions

duh, that's so people like you won't believe in the conspiracy theories!

ok, but they also had a common grief against the whole Health Care system, the insurance companies monopoly, etc...

Even tho' this site is so sometimes, this list is terrible.

Again i mentionned a name, Delbert. Google that. And see for yourself.