What do you do for a living.......

Comments

• dj 3-4 nioghts a week, sell vinyl on ebay.

i wish i did more and i can but i have been pretty comfortable with my quality of life. there is always room for it to get better.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I sell corporate voicemail software for a very big Japanese company. Most weekends in the summer, I do production work for two summer concert series here in the Seattle area.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I write and edit cultivation copy and coordinate LearningTours in the Development department of the largest PBS content producer in the world, WGBH. Essentially, I'm a Marketing coordinator, but I get to do fun stuff like direct radio programs, and this winter I'll be appearing on TV to schill for donations during our next pledge drive.[/b]

one of my fav memories as a child was watching my old man get to auction off a table every year on WGBH... actually, i wonder if he still does it...

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    beats, yo.

• you know how to pick locks?

yeah, although I've been slacking since I've been at UC, we don't pick as much there as I did when I was doing residential/commercial work
    b & e??

• For most of my life it was the record game. For about 30 years my family had one of the main shops in the city of Toronto which catered to DJs, selling vinyl & gear. For about 10 years I worked at 2 of the shops. My side hustle during that time was the promo game.

I worked for a year out in the UK, working for a shop called Uptown Records.

Then opened up my own records store with one of my closest friends, which was doing pretty well until we got bought out by another close friend. But I still have the title of honorary employee at Cosmos.

For the last 3 years I've been working as a tech for The University of Toronto. I got a promotion about 3 months ago and now have to work outside the city. Which I'm not to fond of, but I love my job.

Every day I still miss buying & selling records tho.

Probably a shot in the dark, but your family didn't know a family called the N******s, specifically a D**lan, as he said to me he used to know people who ran a record shop which closed down in Toronto and all the inventory is tucked up somewhere. He said I should come and check it out sometime.

Myself I work in music royalties. PPB rights are getting more and more important in these days of 'free' music and labels really need to get a handle on them, and get paid for whats rightfully theres.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Graphic designer, with a particular focus on Flash. [But I've done a fair amount of print design as well.] Currently freelancing while I ramp up my ActionScript 3.0 skillz and completely rebuild my site (so I am not gonna provide a URL here just yet...).
    Hoping to get smart enough to learn a bit about Ruby on Rails in 2008...

I DJ a lot: club gigs and private events (weddings, parties). Neville C., the Secret Chimp & I are the Deep Crate Collective.

I used to sling on eBay: mid-century modern design for the big bucks, records for the little bucks. I get kinda depressed when I think about all the dope schitt that's passed through my hands...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BTW, I said this the last time we had a "what do you do" thread but notably, there seems to be no one here that works as medical professional. I find that interesting.

• 1) I write, manage web content, and work with developing world policy makers and journalists for an international public health non-profit. check www.dcp2.org and www.prb.org

2) I dj about 7-8 times a month

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    BTW, I said this the last time we had a "what do you do" thread but notably, there seems to be no one here that works as medical professional. I find that interesting.

I work part time in a hospital, and I think you could draw the conclusion that the medical profession doesn't lend it self to spending a lot of time on message boards that aren't medical in nature.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    1) I write, manage web content, and work with developing world policy makers and journalists for an international public health non-profit. check www.dcp2.org and www.prb.org

That's the field my gf has her eye on once she finishes up school.

• I think you could draw the conclusion that the medical profession doesn't lend it self to spending a lot of time on message boards that aren't medical in nature.

That makes sense. I've got my EMT certification but I'm not doing anything with it right now. Actually it's probably expired as of a couple months ago.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I work part time in a hospital, and I think you could draw the conclusion that the medical profession doesn't lend it self to spending a lot of time on message boards that aren't medical in nature.

That is probably true. Plus all my friends who got their MD came out of the experience hopelessly dull.

I have a doctorate from a medical school, but fortunately it's not the kind of degree that results in having to deal with sick people. I am a fake doctor like O-dub. I am currently doing biophysics on the enzymes that drive the heart.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm a low-level reporter on the Chicago commodities desk at a wire service. I also write freelance articles for a few local publications.

Past jobs include: pizza coupon delivery, dressed as a giant chipmunk, worked bumper boat pond and go-kart track, counted tickets, treated with chemicals and dry-painted siren parts, fertilzed lawns, bussed tables, washed dishes, office work at doctor's, delivered newspapers, covered crime and government for a small paper.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    music supervisor at an ad agency
    supervision is notoriously a very tedious unrewarding field but this gig in particular is a dream job come true

• wait, are you that one dude I know?

I believe I am!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Real Estate Investor/Developer.

• Options
    I retired (re: got bought out) from Verizon a couple months ago after 11 years there, and will be joining the fire department in NYC in January.

• Work at Falling water a Frank L Wright house that functions as a art museum/tourist spot doing various things. Bartend two nights a week and have a dj gig weekly too. Getting a masters in art education k-12, but thinking of using the degree for more museum related stuff will be more likely than public school stuff.

• Work at Falling water a Frank L Wright

This seems like it would be fun, but I am sure like most things working there would fuck it up.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Graphic designer, with a focus on Flash. [But I've done a fair amount of print design as well.] Currently freelancing while I ramp up my ActionScript 3.0 skillz and completely rebuild my site (so I am not gonna provide a URL here just yet...).
    Hoping to get smart enough to learn a bit about Ruby on Rails in 2008...

I DJ a lot: club gigs and private events (weddings, parties). Neville C., the Secret Chimp & I are the Deep Crate Collective.

I used to sling on eBay: mid-century modern design (furniture, lighting, etc.) for the big bucks; records for the little bucks. I sometimes get kinda depressed when I think about all the dope schitt that's passed through my hands...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I am just about to complete my Master??s degree and in the meantime I am working for the newly founded European Council on Foreign Relations (www.ecfr.eu). Really liking it so far.

• HOT DOG ON A STICK SON! i hate when i have to make the lemonade in front of everyone.

• There's a lot of interesting professions in this thread. I am the program coordinator for the application center of the 2nd largest K-12 Teacher Licensure program in the state of CO. I do everything from student advising to academic policy/curriculum revision to committee membership to faculty training (yes, my uneducated ass is training college faculty on how to do their jobs) to employee supervision. It's a busy job, I'm heavily (and I mean heavily) relied on and generally regarded as the most helpful and knowledgeable person in a department of 40+ faculty and staff. The money is OK, enough to buy a condo and live a decent life on my own. I'd like to make more. I may try to move over to a private college with a smaller K-12 Education program after I've racked up a few more years of experience here. I'm sure I can get paid more and do a lot less work at a smaller program. It's pretty cool to see exactly who the people are that are eventually going to be educating my children. It's a little scary from time to time as well... There are some pretty wacky people out there who think they can be teachers!

• Work at Falling water a Frank L Wright

This seems like it would be fun, but I am sure like most things working there would fuck it up.

:cue real talk graemlin:

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I retired (re: got bought out) from Verizon a couple months ago after 11 years there, and will be joining the fire department in NYC in January.

Bravo. This must have been a very considered decision. Salut Matt Sweeney!

I work freelance.

Mostly on photo shoots. I also do window installations around NYC. I also assist prop stylists. Sometimes it's a lot of fun. Other times, not so much. If there are famous people around, it usually sucks. There is no shortage of gay men, which always makes for good times.

Freelance work such as this attracts mostly touring musicians or dudes who can't pay their rent through whatever criminal enterprise they are caught up in, so the company is great. Very relaxed, funny, sharp-witted types. We travel quite a bit. I just got back from San Francisco, and I'm getting ready to go to Mexico.

This week I am working at the Astor Place KMart for a big Martha Stewart charity event on Tuesday. We are busy decorating trees, wrapping presents, spreading holiday cheer (simulated sex acts with the mannequins), hanging shit in the windows hoping I don't drop the screw gun on somebody's head--spending 4 days preparing the store so Martha can come in and wrap presents with the peons for 30 minutes.

You might recognize some of my handy work...

Turning [gay affectation]that [/snooty] in something fabulous...

File Under: Not so fun part... packing!

Making a bed look perfect takes about 2 hours of steaming and stuffing

I fill in when the male model is still in wardrobe

Got paid $600 to hang a gold mirror advertising luxury apartments?

I fun-tacked each one of those gumdrops

Shooting on the beaches all all winter long...

Finding ways to spend petty cash

Thinking of soulstrut in the Florida Keys

Driving a truck off a cliff in Tiburon

Dickin' around in rich people's houses

Dickin around in swank resorts

The digital tech is also a Burningman fanatic

Lots of driving and sightseeing

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Bam.....you're the only one who I'd want to trade jobs with.!!!

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Work at Falling water

took my girlfriend there just last Saturday! Kentuck Knob, too.
    Where can you DJ up there in Mill Run, PA?!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Bravo. This must have been a very considered decision. Salut Matt Sweeney!

NYC is fortunate to have you.

I'm a lawyer.
    JRoot

• sergserg 682 Posts
    you know how to pick locks?

yeah, although I've been slacking since I've been at UC, we don't pick as much there as I did when I was doing residential/commercial work
    b & e??

ha, naw we just have a big ass database full of key records/door info so you don't pick or drill that much. well that and just about everything is on a number of masters

all thought sometimes I still use a big screwdriver and a hammer to get past a lock