What do you do for a living.......

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Sales Manager for a Scooter shop. We have the widest selection of new and vintage Vespa parts. I've been with the shop for over 4 years. We ship out about 40 boxes a day of mail-order. It's great. I work from 11am-6pm Tue-Fri and sometimes on Saturday. I get a nice hourly wage and commission on my sales. I mostly just talk about scooters on the phone all day, and get to design new products. I love my schedule.

I photograph about 20 weddings per year. I have a great gig where I shoot for this ultra high-end photographer. I show up for 4 hours, shoot and leave. No talking with brides, no making albums. It's a very good source of supplementary income. I had some full page shots in Town & Country magazine recently.

I buy, fix, and resell vehicles on craigslist. Mostly scooters and motorcycles. I find a vehicle I want and wait very patiently for the right deal to come along. Then I drive it around for a few months or years and resell at a higher price. This is my favorite job.

I ran two darkrooms for three years. I also used to develop all the pictures for the San Diego crime lab. They contracted the work to the shop I worked at. I saw every homicide, suicide, autopsy, drug bust, fatal car crash, etc.

Records to a small extent. I buy far more than I sell. But the ones I sell usually make the habit support itself.

I did time at a bicycle shop when I was younger.

My girlfriend double-majored at Georgetown in business, and moved into a 6 figure income at 23 years old. We live together and split all expenses, but she did take us to French Polynesia and Costa Rica this year.

My life is nice. I have lots of free time, which is how I measure success, and I am able to tuck some money away every month.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I am an Associate Professor at Rutgers University. I also do some consulting work on the side, primarily in employment test development and validation and litigation support. I make beats as well, but this hasn't netted any cheese as of yet. Who knows, maybe I'll get some paid production work one day.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    1) I help my father run his company and he pays my bills. We run a small copier company. He does the sales, I do the telemarketing, installs, invoicing, etc. etc. until we grow our dealership. Then I will be his admin assistant so he can phase himself out. In the meanwhile, I'll have my AA.S in organizational management, and then my bachelors in communications. He's basically expecting me to take over the company in less than 5 years. He and I have done great with our little 2 man operation since 2002.

2) Broke producer. Holla!

• sup daniel?

i work 40+ hours a week as a project coordinator for a telecommunications carrier overseeing install of high capacity T1 circuits. also about 20+ hours a week as a club/lounge/mixtape dj. this leaves me about 15 minutes a day to relax and kick my cat in the ass. my house is never tidy as records are everywhere since my laptop stopped working. dishes don't get done until the weekend, but being that i am out at least 4 nights out of the week, there are few dishes. the yard hasn't been raked yet and hasn't been mowed in a month. i won't have time for that until next week.

the regular day job is actually ending in april thanks to the ever stable telecom industry. we got bought out. this will leave me with a severance large enough to pay off my credit card bills as well as my car loan leaving me with just a mortgage which can be covered by djing. so in the next 6 months, i'll be happily self employed with a clean kitchen/yard/condo. i'll get back on my beat game and start banging out bangers again and work on some landscaping on my property. it will be hard and i am gonna be broke but damn I CAN"T WAIT!!!!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Work for an International Freight Forwarder for almost 2 years now. Love the people in my department but the work is extremely hectic at times. The company specializes in shipping for trade shows and conference. They have sent me to Amsterdam twice to assist with shipments there and I'm looking forward to traveling again next year. Pay takes care of the rent but i'm also in Southern California, so it doesn't go too far...

DJ - I've been DJing weddings/private events for about 4 years now. I was doing clubs/bars for a while but I have put that aside since the wedding-dj thing has taken off. I'm solely on a word-of-mouth/referral basis and have been considering doing this full-time. This pretty much doubles up my income and I average 2 events a month. The money is the plus, but the fact that the events are weddings makes the work a little monotonous at times.

• i work at the same place ive worked at for the last 15 years. it is a company that makes its own line of skin care products, and has been in business since 1965 i think. i started out doing all the packaging and shipping, now i own half of the business and do everything since i am the only employee at this time. i generally work from 10am til 3pm mon-fri and make a lil over 20 an hour,not too bad, and not too good either. i like that i have plenty of time to do other shit besides work though. i used to sell on ebay a lot but have cooled down on it over the past year.

• Concert Promoter - I do concerts mostly in secondary markets at the theater & arena level.

Music Supervisor - most recently on a documentary on the affects of urban marketing in urban & suburban comminites in three countries. It's basically a "why doesn't Nike give back to the hood" doc. Film features music from strutters.

DJ - have a monthly in Nashville and occasionally get to spin in cities where I have work-related shows. Have put out two mixcds and plan on another by the end of the year.

Record label owner/producer - look for a ressurection of Raw Shack Productions in 2008.

Record Dealer - used to go hard at selling on the bay, but the Job is time consuming. I do get to buy records when on the road, just don't get the time to post ish. If anyone needs sealed copies of......

• HamHam 872 Posts
    nice thread.

customer service @ major telecommunications company.
    that sounds fun

ha, yeah. no. first job related.

• Record label owner/producer - look for a ressurection of Raw Shack Productions in 2008.

As in Mr. Complex "visualize" Raw Shack?

• I'm a documentary filmmaker/facilitator. My most recent film was on PBS's POV series, and about a young woman in DR Congo recovering from a traumatic fistula. Currently working on a third feature chronicling the experiences of a young nomadic Tibetan family. In case you're curious, here are links to my last two films:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2007/lumo/
    www.ithembafilmproject.org

and also links to some of the other projects i'm involved in - helping kids with incarcerated parents make video letters to their moms and dads in prison, and making films with Tibetan monks and artisans:

http://www.mayslesfilms.com/companypages/institute/institute.htm

check it out...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    part time player
    full time hustler

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    For most of my life it was the record game. For about 30 years my family had one of the main shops in the city of Toronto which catered to DJs, selling vinyl & gear. For about 10 years I worked at 2 of the shops. My side hustle during that time was the promo game.

I worked for a year out in the UK, working for a shop called Uptown Records.

Then opened up my own records store with one of my closest friends, which was doing pretty well until we got bought out by another close friend. But I still have the title of honorary employee at Cosmos.

For the last 3 years I've been working as a tech for The University of Toronto. I got a promotion about 3 months ago and now have to work outside the city. Which I'm not to fond of, but I love my job.

Every day I still miss buying & selling records tho.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    super freelance audio engineer/technician turned full time science nerd currently getting rawked by biochemistry

i miss rekkids.

• Record label owner/producer - look for a ressurection of Raw Shack Productions in 2008.

As in Mr. Complex "visualize" Raw Shack?

correct - though Spinna produced Visualize

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i am an economic research analyst. lots of spreadsheets and databases.
    it's like being a professional cynic, so i'm not knockin' it.
    it's as glamorous as it sounds.

• I'm a professional beat whore.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm a professional beat whore.

I would put that on my R??sum?? in a second if I could! Not producer... It would have to say "professional beat whore"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Unemployed scrap metal dealer looking to get back into operation
    as soon as i fill out these ridiculously stringent forms that are now required,
    since the newly enacted trade act (31 pages in length) has been put into place.
    This new government is looking to box/slap food out of poor people's mouth.
    No one under the age of 18 or that has a jail record can sell metal now.
    I'm looking for the crime rate to skyrocket.

• I'm an office manager and administrator for a tree service company. I'm hoping to break away around April after saving up some more cash but I've been saying that for like a year now. I'm also having ideas and eventually want to create some tree management software but I think I'll keep that on the back burner for a while. In the meantime I have http://www.treeservicemanagement.com registered.

Hope to run my own bookkeeping and business management company. Tried it for a while about a year ago and even with little effort was able to get a few clients.

• I own Som Records in Washington, DC - http://somrecordsdc.com/
    and also DJ under the name DJ Neville Chamberlain (or Neville C.)- http://www.deepcratecollective.com/

I've been selling records for about four years now (been buying for 25). Before slinging records I worked at the Washington Post for ten years in various roles.
    I've also worked as a bus boy, oyster shucker, waiter, bartender, bar manager, catering manager, front desk manager, housekeeping supervisor, roustabout, grape picker, credit manager, youth hostel runner, youth hostel night manager, Bondo assembly line worker, pizza deliverer, pot dealer, landscaper and a few other jobs in between.

• I work for a TV-station as a cameraman and editor. I really like my job most of the time especially the travels that come with it. 2007: UK, Thailand, Iraq, Bulgaria, Greenland and close to 3 months in the states.

Dress

• I worked for 10 years as an High School Administrator/Athletic Trainer in Texas...I realized that I have given it 10 years and its wasnt doing anything for me, so I moved back to Memphis and opened up a beer store that ended with TONS of drama...then I farted around Europe for a bit and Shangri La Records(a store I had been a customer at since the 80s) gave me a job, so now I sell records and DJ to make ends meet...however, I am looking for a "real" job as I need health insurance and some more scratch to do things I wanna do. I applied at a 2 year college as a Gen Ed instructor, so maybe I can get that, if not, Ill just haveta send more resumes out I guess....

• 1) I hate my job but it pays the bills and got me my townhouse. I work for the FRB in Atlanta. Yeah I work the grave yard shift as a banker dealing with $$$.

2) some weekends I do Inventory for grocery stores around the southeast

3) Record gripping & flipping. I sell a little on ebay but the fees kill the profits and alot of stuff I find I don't like to sell.

4) finishing my MBA..thats it.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I program films for Maryland Film Festival (year-round) and the Baltimore Museum of Art (monthly series), write for Baltimore City Paper, and DJ from time to time.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Way back when, during the dot-com boom, I worked as a content director for a website. That's when I found SoulStrut.

Worked as a chef at a couple Michelin star joints in Napa for the last couple years. Also spent time cooking in Los Angeles and New Orleans for about three years before that. I'm leaving the kitchen life on Saturday, though, which will be my last day at my current job.

I'll be working in wine tasting rooms in the meantime, which means I'll be working days for the first time in about five years. I needed this for my sanity. As much as I love some of the people I've met in restaurants, I need to meet people outside of this business. It's about impossible when nights and weekends are locked down with work.

I'm thinking about getting my teaching credential, since I would like to teach English someday. California teachers holler with any advice.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Currently: part-time general accounting work (aka data entry aka boring-as-fuck) and traffic counting on occasion. Looking to do some tutoring as well. Too many loans and bills to pay!

In the future: Write, invest, and do other creative things like that.

• assistant engineer and engineer at this studio www.lohostudios.com

also dj, sell records on ebay, etc.

• - Owner and proprietor of Good Records NYC, a great used & rare vinyl shop in downtown New York City

- Part time wedding DJ

- Town drunk

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I am school administrator I would expulsion hearings for the school district (used to be a special ed teacher (SED).

You didn't happen to teach English, did you?

hahaha......

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im currently full time at caremark mail order pharmacy doing order entry. It sucks but it pays well.

I work for an NPR affiliate as a recording engineer and editor mostly on the weekends, but work from home at night a lot doing edits and prepping things for broadcast. I really like this job and just got a raise.

i also dj every other fri at a college bar. Not really feeling it as much as i used to but extra cash is always a good thing. And free drinks is a great thing.

i occausionly flip records on ebay but not serious about it.

and i make beats in my spare time and write/record songs with my roommate who plays geetar. Make no money doing that but i got a lot of inventory for when i seriously get my grind on. Which is coming very soon. I want to put out records on my own label and do that fulltime eventually.