THE OFFICIAL NFL 2007 THREAD

Comments

• I would like to add...

I think this story has been blown UNBELIEVABLY out of proportion.

But, I understand the violation, and the rule that was broken.

But, hearing assbags on ESPN say that this might cost Bill Belichick the Hall of Fame? GTFOOHWTBS, and you really should be looking for a new job.

Par for the course. Entitled outrage at *anything* is the steez.

C'mon now.....y'all got busted cheating. You gotta deal w/ the blowback. Plus it's ol' surly Bill? Aw yeah, field day awaits.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I think this story has been blown UNBELIEVABLY out of proportion.

This is what I am saying.

THEY ARE TRYING TO RUIN OUR CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON

This is worse than the Black Sox scandal.

I say we kick the team out of the NFL.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This is worse than the Black Sox scandal.

I say we kick the team out of the NFL.

Well, if worse comes to worst, they could easily contend for the MLB National League pennant.

• C'mon now.....y'all got busted cheating. You gotta deal w/ the blowback. Plus it's ol' surly Bill? Aw yeah, field day awaits.

When's the press conference? I would love to hear what Bill has to say about this.

Instead of kicking them out of the NFL, I think the game should be forfeited to the Jets!

• "I think the Patriots actually live by the saying, 'If you're not cheating, you're not trying,' " said San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

I see Teddy already planning on head hunting LT.
    This article is kind of crap, but it does have a good point that cheating is more prevalent in sports in general than people would like to admit.

• "I think the Patriots actually live by the saying, 'If you're not cheating, you're not trying,' " said San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

This article is kind of crap, but it does have a good point that cheating is more prevalent in sports in general than people would like to admit.

Dude, LDT is joining the running for biggest douche in sports.

Bro- your boy Shawne LIGHTS OUT Merrimann was busted cheating last year...where was all your classy moral indignation then?

Just shut up and play.

Dude, LDT is joining the running for biggest douche in sports.

Bro- your boy Shawne LIGHTS OUT Merrimann was busted cheating last year...where was all your classy moral indignation then?

Just shut up and play.

Seriously

The only dude facing the truth in the article was the Steelers coach.

• Why is LDT a douche for SAYING THE TRUTH? That obviously IS the Pats motto.

Now, he is a douche for whining after y'all beat 'em last year.

And Merriman is just a douche.

I am digging this indignancy from Pats fans and employees.

• Hey, G$, what's this about?

even giving the tabloids plenty of fodder for his, ah, extracurricular behavior, if you will.

• i'll have plenty more on this at a later date, but for now, i'm gonna wise up and not say peep.

shit's crazy 'round these parts.

• i'll have plenty more on this at a later date, but for now, i'm gonna wise up and not say peep.

shit's crazy 'round these parts.

^^^^CLEAR ADMISSION OF GUILT!

• from Dr.Z's Power Ranks:

San Diego LB Matt Wilhelm on the instructions his position coach Ron Rivera gave about trash talking to Rex Grossman: "He told us that Rex was kind of a mental midget so you can get into his head and create that doubt." Careful, there's not much room.

Grossman: '[Rivera's] never been around me'
    Responds to reports of Rivera calling him a 'mental midget'

By Rahula Strohl
    ChicagoSports.com

September 12, 2007, 3:03 PM CDT

While Cedric Benson was fending of accusations by a San Diego linebacker that Benson is "soft," teammates were responding to reports that former defensive coordinator Ron Rivera called quarterback Rex Grossman a "mental midget."

Grossman said he hadn't heard of the comments until a team staffer mentioned it to him shortly before his weekly news conference.

"[Rivera] has never been around me," Grossman said. "He's always been up in the booth."

Grossman said that he hasn't spoken to Rivera but speculated that perhaps Rivera was making the comments stemming from a back-and-forth Grossman had at the end of the 2006 season with Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper.

Center Olin Kreutz was a little less diplomatic.

"I think Ron Rivera showed you right there why he's not here anymore," Kreutz said. "He's kind of a mean guy."

Rivera appeared on Mike North's show on WSCR-AM 670 on Wednesday morning to deny the accusation

• from Dr.Z's Power Ranks:

San Diego LB Matt Wilhelm on the instructions his position coach Ron Rivera gave about trash talking to Rex Grossman: "He told us that Rex was kind of a mental midget so you can get into his head and create that doubt." Careful, there's not much room.

Grossman: '[Rivera's] never been around me'
    Responds to reports of Rivera calling him a 'mental midget'

By Rahula Strohl
    ChicagoSports.com

September 12, 2007, 3:03 PM CDT

While Cedric Benson was fending of accusations by a San Diego linebacker that Benson is "soft," teammates were responding to reports that former defensive coordinator Ron Rivera called quarterback Rex Grossman a "mental midget."

Grossman said he hadn't heard of the comments until a team staffer mentioned it to him shortly before his weekly news conference.

"[Rivera] has never been around me," Grossman said. "He's always been up in the booth."

Grossman said that he hasn't spoken to Rivera but speculated that perhaps Rivera was making the comments stemming from a back-and-forth Grossman had at the end of the 2006 season with Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper.

Center Olin Kreutz was a little less diplomatic.

"I think Ron Rivera showed you right there why he's not here anymore," Kreutz said. "He's kind of a mean guy."

Rivera appeared on Mike North's show on WSCR-AM 670 on Wednesday morning to deny the accusation

"Mental midget" HA! Yuichi could teach these guys a thing or two about trash talking. Yuichi, what would you say to Rex Grossman?

• Our guy's photo was just on CBS evening news...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.
    DIRTY ASS CHEATERS.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Even cheating wouldn't help the Dolphins.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    this shits bummming me out.

• this shits bummming me out.

It should be.

G$ you are my DAWG but Dr. Z is puttin y'all on blast. It's getting worse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/13/cheating/index.html?eref=T1

• this shits bummming me out.

It should be.

G$ you are my DAWG but Dr. Z is puttin y'all on blast. It's getting worse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/13/cheating/index.html?eref=T1

I ain't gonna say much more...And, I can't believe I actually agree with Sean Salisbury on this.

But, as I've said: they broke a rule, and should be punished. That said, I think this is being blown far out of proportion. And, the shit about offensive mics going out is something that hurts BOTH teams. (If one team loses their headset frequencies, both teams have to go without for the rest of the game on offense.)

Could that be used to stop a drive? Sure, but it isn't as clear cut an advantage as Dr. Z is painting it.

• Also, Dr. Z got his shit wrong about the Jets-Pats last season; the Pats won their first meeting, and lost the 2nd in the slop at Gillette.

• Dude, wtf though man....y'all would beat the Jets anyway...I dunno why the Pats even bothered. It does seem kinda arrogant.

• That said, I think this is being blown far out of proportion.

Yeah right, if it would've been the Colts who got caught you'd be singing a different story.

Anyway, I don't get this whole white collar cheating vs blue collar cheating Dr. Z is talking about. I don't think a line man or quarter back looking into a players positioning counts as cheating. The last example he gave of looking at the Benglas QB whether he had his feet together or one in front of the other to determine what play he would run, that's not cheating in my eyes. But hiring a newly fired person only to pump them for infromation and then fire them, or videotaping signals clearly is. We have to face it though, in this day and age everyone is looking for an edge. But I think videotaping signals is going to far, I mean you are already watching your opponents teams videos all week and figuring out their strategy, isn't that enough?
    Whatever, I'm ready to let the league play this out and start looking into week 2.

• That article just makes the Pats sound dirty.

I obviously have no clue as you do about the inner-workings of an NFL Franchise and what really goes on and what doesn't. So, from the perspective of a casual fan, I'm gonna tend to believe most of what a guy like Zimmerman writes. He's obviously a staple football writer and has been so for a long time. For him to question some of the stuff...it gives it creedence in my untrained eyes.

• That article just makes the Pats sound dirty.

I obviously have no clue as you do about the inner-workings of an NFL Franchise and what really goes on and what doesn't. So, from the perspective of a casual fan, I'm gonna tend to believe most of what a guy like Zimmerman writes. He's obviously a staple football writer and has been so for a long time. For him to question some of the stuff...it gives it creedence in my untrained eyes.

I just think that is an example of piling on...Now, there are headlines where Hines Ward is saying that they must have cheated when they won in '01, and people questioning if Brady is actually that good (dude, you still gotta make the throws...) and I think it is just getting carried away.

I understand my objectivity is open to question, and so therefore I won't wager on how I would react to any other team getting caught. That said, I don't think this is the only team that has used shady tactics.

I do think their position near the top of the league, the enemies they have made therein, and the coaching staff relationship to the media has had a MAJOR affect on all this.

but, at the same time, the amount of coaches who have left here for other places, namely a team in NJ that wears green, leads me to believe that this stuff DOES go on other place.

• That said, I don't think this is the only team that has used shady tactics.

I agree, like I said everyone is trying to get an edge on everybody else. Still, I don't think the videotaping of signals is so prevalent or it would've come out sooner, I could be wrong though.

What does the rest of soulstrut have to say? I doubt we are the only three with an opinion.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That said, I don't think this is the only team that has used shady tactics.

I agree, like I said everyone is trying to get an edge on everybody else. Still, I don't think the videotaping of signals is so prevalent or it would've come out sooner, I could be wrong though.

What does the rest of soulstrut have to say? I doubt we are the only three with an opinion.

I think that...

IT WAS A FUMBLE, DAMMIT!!! THE RAIDERS GOT SCREWED!!!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    IT WAS A FUMBLE, DAMMIT!!! THE RAIDERS GOT SCREWED!!!

Tuck rule, baby! I don't know what it means, but I fully support it.

• IT WAS A FUMBLE, DAMMIT!!! THE RAIDERS GOT SCREWED!!!

Tuck rule, baby! I don't know what it means, but I fully support it.

That was the correct interpretation of a stupid rule. And, I was living in Ohio with no affilition to any team besides my love of the WHODEY Bengals when that went down.

• Interesting counterpoint on ProFootballTalk...

MANGINI: HERO OR HEEL?

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports that the Patriots' efforts to videotape defensive signals was brought to light by former New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini, who shared the information in 2006 with members of the Jets' organization.

"When Eric came, he said that's what they used to do," a source told Cimini. "Bill [Belichick] is going to be [ticked] at Eric. He kissed and told."

It would be easy to proclaim that Mangini did the right thing, ignoring the good-old-boys' network and bringing to light Belichick's dirty little secret.

But it would naive to do so, too.

Mangini didn't blow the whistle when he first learned of the situation, while Mangini was working for the Patriots. Instead, he took advantage of the competitive advantage, and parlayed it into a head-coaching job of his own.

And then Mangini blew the whistle in a manner that will eventually create for him a competitive advantage, since it will result in the imposition of some sort of a sanction on the Patriots.

But should Mangini be allowed to have it both ways? And did he bother to consider whether bringing this situation to light might indirectly call into question his own credentials to be a head coach?

Meanwhile, there's talk in league circles that Mangini will find it very hard to win the trust of anyone in the NFL moving forward. Even though Belichick has no cause to gripe about getting caught under circumstances where he knew that the opposing head coach knew what Belichick was doing, the truth is that anyone who chooses to confide in Mangini now or in the future will do so at his own peril.

Keep that in mind, Mike Tannenbaum, if/when you ever consider doing something like, say, contacting the agent for a player who is under contract with another team.

• The Pats are accused of stealing defensive signals, assumedly to help the Pats offense.

Mangenius coached D for the Pats.

That's my counter to this particular quote from the yellow journalists at PFT.com:

But should Mangini be allowed to have it both ways? And did he bother to consider whether bringing this situation to light might indirectly call into question his own credentials to be a head coach?