THE OFFICIAL NFL 2007 THREAD

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
NFC- [/b]SAINTS-[/b] Much as I hate to say it, the Saints are the class of the conference now. I wasn't so sure about that, but if what I saw from their 1st team offense and defense in the preseason is any indication, dem boys have that look. I don't know how the hell anybody's gonna stop all of those weapons on offense- they can kill you pretty much any way they want to.DA BEARS-[/b] They still look formidable, but I'd expect a dropoff from last year just because that's what normally happens with super bowl losers. I predict Devin Hester will get hurt at some point and will be less effective than he was last year- hope that's wrong, cuz dude is a serious talent. Rex "Same Sex" Grossman really might not be as bad as people say he is... he just has to learn to eat the ball or throw it away when the heat is on instead of throwing it up for grabs. Don't forget, he was basically a rookie last year and his team still got to the big game.EAGLES-[/b] I had high hopes this off season about my Birds, but they just look weak to me, especially on defense. A serious lack of sheer talent. They'll still win some games but I have serious doubts if they can even win the East this season.COWBOYS-[/b] I like the Boys this year. I think Romo's better than people realize. Strong defense, weapons on offense... no reason why they can't be serious contenders.THE REST-[/b] will this finally be the year that the Cards and the Lions step up? I'd like to say yes, but my gut tells me no... well, what the hell, I'll say yes anyway. Maybe not the playoffs for both, but at least a marked improvement (can't do much worse than those two hapless organizations have been doing for the last 50 years or so). Somebody told me the Vikes are gonna surprise people this year... how? Adrian Peterson is a bad boy, but he can't do it alone. People talking that 49er schitt too... nope. Not yet... next year maybe. Falcons will be BETTER with Joey Harrington. Rams, Bucs, Seahawks = mediocre... any of them could sneak into the post season but they will have no impact even if they get there. Panthers look like they gonna suck, as do the Packers, Giants and Skins. AFC-[/b]PATRIOTS-[/b] Everybody's preseason Super Bowl pick, and with good reason. Don't forget they had the Colts dead to rights until they fell apart in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game last season. The defense still is a liability, though (with or without Rodney Harrison). Regardless, I concur with those who feel that the Pats are the team to beat in the AFC (and of course, the team to beat in the AFC is the team to beat in the NFL). BUT i sure as hell don't think it's a slam dunk, especially with all the other formidable teams in this conference.COLTS-[/b] folks are writing off the Colts for 2007- DON'T DO IT! Regardless of the players they've lost, they still have enough to win it all. And they still have Big Head Manning running the show, and he looked sharp as ever in the preseason. Fools better not take them lightly.CHARGERS-[/b] obviously they have EVERYTHING that a championship team needs as far as players go- they honestly should've won it all last year. But I dunno about the coach. Norv Turner just comes off to me as soft batch- great coordinator, feeble as a head coach. He'll have no excuses if he can't get it done with this group he's inherited.RAVENS-[/b] another team that the rest of the AFC better beware. Don't forget they went 13-3 last regular season, and in the little bit of action I saw them in this preseason they looked physically powerful as hell, even the backups (especially against my light-in-the-ass Eagles). Passing game might still be a little suspect, I dunno.THE REST-[/b] my sleeper team for 2007 is the HOUSTON TEXANS... i don't know about playoffs, but I expect to see them rise up at least to the middle of the pack this year. My other team I'm expecting to make noise is the JAGUARS... dumping Leftwich for Gerard is a long overdue move IMO. Even last years's 3rd stringer, Quinn Gary, is better than Leftwich (he might be better than Gerard, too). I don't like Denver and I never will... I think Jay Cutler is really, really overrated. I'd like to say that the Raiders are gonna come up, but that QB and O-line situation is waaaay too no matter how nice the defense may be. I dunno about the Titans... I like Vince Young but that Michael Vick style of QBing never works for long. I think the Browns will be better. I like the Steelers somewhat... if not this year, that new coach they got in Steeltown is gonna be a winner eventually. I'm not diggin' the Bengals... I think they bout to fall off the edge. I'm not sold on the Jets either. Dolphins, Bills... who cares? The Chiefs look liable to lick ASS in a major way.NFC CHAMPIONSHIP- [/b] Saints over CowboysAFC CHAMPIONSHIP- [/b] Patriots over... Jaguars (gotta throw a curveball in there somewhere)SUPERBOWL XLII- [/b] Saints over Patriots add on...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Holy hot damn...somewhat sensible people really are picking the Saints to win the Super Bowl.

I'm all for it...but this might be a sign of the apocalypse.

Oh yeah, that already happened...

Geaux Saints!!!

• I'll type something up tonight but it's hard for me to make predicts in good faith cos I don't want to say aloud how well I truly think the Saints will do for fear of a jinx. But they're plastered all over everything now so it's tough. They still gon' have to EARN IT.

• yeah, you know i only picked them to win it all to JINX those sapsuckas... you know where my heart truly lies...

• 9-7 for the niners that's my word. not great but i'll take it.

in other news bears about to do today.

• I think the Pack will go to the playoffs this year.

• in other news bears about to do today.

Is this strangely worded gem some allusion to the fact that the SEC is comin to town to show y'all west coasters how football is played?

• 9-7 for the niners that's my word. not great but i'll take it.

i think the niners will go 8-8, and if they dont get absolutely blown out (chicago, san diego, green bay from 2007) the season will still be a success. the playoffs are a year away for that team but i do like what nolan is doing and they made some nice strides on the defensive side of the football.

• See ya in JAnuaray when the Eagles season will once again end at the SuperDome. You might have an aneurysm so go easy ol' man!

• Hey, rwk, I also think the Niners are on the verge, possibly a playoff spot this year if other teams look past them.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ravens go 12-4 and make the AFC championship game.

Recognize batches!!!!!!

• Ravens definitely look strong.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Philly Phill....we still down??

This year I'll put up some Texas Bar-B-Q

• My Buffalo Bills 2007 schedule! Going 9-7 this year!!! Our defense looks a bit weak w/ the loss of clements and fletcher but our offense should pick it up with lee evans and JP losman having another year under their belts. hopefully marshawn lynch can produce solid numbers out of the backfield.

9/9 DENVER BRONCOS (W)
    9/16 @ Pittsburgh Steelers (L)
    9/23 @ New England Patriots (L)
    9/30 NEW YORK JETS (W)
    10/8 DALLAS COWBOYS (W)
    10/21 BALTIMORE RAVENS (L)
    10/28 @ New York Jets (L)
    11/4 CINCINNATI BENGALS (W)
    11/11 @ Miami Dolphins (L)
    11/18 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (L)
    11/25 @ Jacksonville Jaguars (W)
    12/2 @ Washington Redskins (W)
    12/9 MIAMI DOLPHINS (W)
    12/16 @ Cleveland Browns (W)
    12/23 NEW YORK GIANTS (W)
    12/30 @ Philadelphia Eagles (L)

• THIS

AINT

NO

MUHFUCKING COON HUNT BATCHES.

YOU ARE IN BEAR TERRITORY BELEEEEEEEEEDAT.

Is this strangely worded gem some allusion to the fact that the SEC is comin to town to show y'all west coasters how football is played?

sorry dude what? did you say something?

• Haha. Good win. Cal looked good and deep (no ayo) at the skill positions. "Lil' Bush" and shit.

Hey, I gotta ride for my conference. I give a shit about the Vols. Cal is a strong #2 in the Pac 10....UT is about SEC #5 or 6. Cal definitely had somethign to prove after last year's beatdown. I'll be rooting Golden Bear when y'all play the Trojans and it should be a good game.

Sincerely hope Xavier Mitchell is okay.

• I am curious to see where we rank nationally next week. I'm thinking we went into this game at 12 so we gotta see top ten.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I am curious to see where we rank nationally next week. I'm thinking we went into this game at 12 so we gotta see top ten.

I hear the #5 slot might be available.

Back to NFL, my feeling is that the Niners will be over-achieving if they make 9-7. I think they're capable, but they have lots and lots of mistakes not to make before they crawl above .500.

• I don't like Denver and I never will... I think Jay Cutler is really, really overrated.

i dont think cutler has played enough to even be considered "really really overrated" yet. dude has played like four games and won two of them (including a 9:5 td to int ratio. decent for a rookie). more importantly i cant wait to see how travis henry plays this year. barring any injuries i'm thinking he can run for close to 2000.

but yeah as long as this dude is not around im fine

• I don't like Denver and I never will... I think Jay Cutler is really, really overrated.

i dont think cutler has played enough to even be considered "really really overrated" yet. dude has played like four games and won two of them (including a 9:5 td to int ratio. decent for a rookie).

well, that's my point, he hasn't done schitt yet... maybe i could leave out the "really really" and just say he's overrated, but announcers have been gushing about this guy since he first stepped onto the field in the preseason of 2006 about how he's this and that, like he's one of the best QBs in the league already. Dopey ass Peter King is ranking this guy as one of the 100 top players in the NFL, over a LOT of solid dudes who have actually shown and proved for years. He's ranking him as the 11th best QB in the league. O RLY? With a career 2-2 record as a starter??? O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D

more importantly i cant wait to see how travis henry plays this year. barring any injuries i'm thinking he can run for close to 2000.

what travis henry need to do is just keep runnin' up in the hole on the playing field and stop runnin' up in the hole in the bedrooms of all these baby mamas he been skeetin' his kids up into

but yeah as long as this dude is not around im fine

now on that one i WHOLEHEARTEDLY
    (although somehow jake the fake managed to have a better winning percentage over the last few seasons than almost any QB other than i think P. Manning and Brady and maybe a couple others... bad as he sucked i don't know how he accomplished that)

• I'm a CUTTY fan. He'll be alright. I think Defensive issues might keep the Broncos out of the playoffs though. They got no depth on their defensive line and they just cut Lang.

• well, cotdamn... this thread is languishing 5 pages deep with the season about to start tonight? wow... not much love for the NFL on this forum, i see. well, it IS a sport for real men... i guess that would explain the lack of interest here

GO COLTS!!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    well, cotdamn... this thread is languishing 5 pages deep with the season about to start tonight? wow... not much love for the NFL on this forum, i see. well, it IS a sport for real men... i guess that would explain the lack of interest here

GO COLTS!!!

I AM SO FUCKING AMPED!!!! Go Saints!

• Imma try to get some posting in before Sunday in here, but I've been swamped...

To see the daily show I'm producing, though y'all, go to www.patriots.com, and click on Patriots Today.

I'm also doing some cool stuff for our kid's and magazine show, but that ain't internetable.

Enjoy kickoff tonight. Go Saints; fuck a pony and a polian.

• I AM SO FUCKING AMPED!!!! Go Colts!

• GEAUX YOU MOTHERFUCKIN' SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is about 1% of my brain that can process non-football discussion at this point. Worst workday of the year for yr boy GP. "Amped" doesn't even describe it.

• well, cotdamn... this thread is languishing 5 pages deep with the season about to start tonight? wow... not much love for the NFL on this forum, i see. well, it IS a sport for real men... i guess that would explain the lack of interest here

SPEAK

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hells yes...THE SAINTS ARE GONNA WHORIDE TONIGHT!!!

Deuece, Bush, Brees, Colston, Devery, Patten, Copper, and Johnson are all gonna fill up that stat sheet.

And hopefully not so much for Addai, Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez, and Clark.

WHODAT WHODAT!?!

• "Amped" doesn't even describe it.

I AM FUCKING SAYIN!!!!!!!!!!!

And tonight is my blessed sister's birthday, but I told her I'd have to bounce from the birthday dinner at 8pm for the first day of the best 17 weeks of the year!

Even though I'm a Giants dude, the wife is from Indy so the Colts are my AFC team, sorry Saints but there is no hope for you once you step into the RCA Dome.

Colts 34 Saints 17

And tonight is my blessed sister's birthday, but I told her I'd have to bounce from the birthday dinner at 8pm for the first day of the best 17 weeks of the year!

Even though I'm a Giants dude, the wife is from Indy so the Colts are my AFC team, sorry Saints but there is no hope for you once you step into the RCA Dome.

Colts 34 Saints 17

That's a bold prediction. I don't see the Colts defense, which is starting one DT who's only 270 lbs and one DT who is an undrafted free agent and two new cornerbacks and a new weakside linebacker and missing its nickel back are gonna slow down Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, David Patten and Eric Johnson.

No way the Colts win by a score like that. 3 points at most...IF they win.

Colts 34 Saints 17

That's a bold prediction. I don't see the Colts defense, which is starting one DT who's only 270 lbs and one DT who is an undrafted free agent and two new cornerbacks and a new weakside linebacker and missing its nickel back are gonna slow down Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, David Patten and Eric Johnson.

No way the Colts win by a score like that. 3 points at most...IF they win.

HAHAHA!!! I know the Colts had the worst defense against the run last year, and they got a lot of new dudes on the squad. But that just means they have something to prove to the other teams, and what better way to prove it than holding NO's offense in the first nationally televised game. A lot of people are saying the Colts are contenders but not so seriously, I think they have something to prove. There's been a lot of Colts backlash the last two seasons, and even after winning a championship there is still a lot of "yeah so what" in the league. Watch the the new defense step up big. Tonight the Colts make a statement, a statement at the expense of the Saints.

And when you say things like "No way the Colts win by a score like that..." you are already admitting defeat, no matter how many capitalized if's or buts you got in there. Damn Gene almost disowning your team on opening day.