new KANYE WEST ALBUM....(weak-related)

Comments

• Regardless, u cannot front on "Everything I Am" or the synth arrangement on "Flash Light" (the chorus bothers me but it still get's a pass). "Good Mourning" & "I Wonder" also are good in my opinion as well.. I was't mad at "Champion" but that chick singing on the bridge killed me. I passed on the "drunk & hot girl" track but after hearing the original, I can see what Kanye & Mos were trying to do... I always liked "Can't Tell Me Nothing" & "Barry Bonds". "Stronger" grew on me... Regardless, the T Pain track (which is the next single) is fun and will end up being the biggest track off of this album...

Musically, "Everything I Am" is nice but lyrically, it's corny as fuck...practically on a "Lost Ones" level yet somehow, more insipid. "Everything I'm not is everything I am?" I've seen fortune cookie wisdom that's more convincing.

BTW, what Common mix?

Mix I did in conjuction with okayplayer... You were on the promo list (courtesy of Ayres and the Ghostface mix we did a while back for T-T-L )... Cosmo, where u at?

• Assorted Donuts nominated for mixtape of the year at the Vibe Awards...

How many people up in here are certified voters besides Mr. Wang?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    IMHO Kanye is one of the most brilliant producers and the best practitioner of smooth sailing, easy to digest hip hop for white dilettantes like myself, even if he's an easy target for being so annoying on the mic. I say deal with it...

Am I absolutely crazy - or were the beats on One Stop Carnival not that bad? I mean it was fully produced by Slim Kid Tre in 94....beside Killer BA Green on the mic - I think the music itself was more than surprisingly pretty decent - if memory serves me correct.

Regarding the Kanye album - I haven't listened yet - but I take it as a sign that I'll like it seeing as certain people on here hate it so much. Dude hasn't put his name on anything weak yet....ok maybe BESIDE Stronger (which ok, I know people really don't like - but that drum programming is pretty ill - shit really hits....I'm not crazy about it either though).

I'm surprised that people front on his rhyming so much. Dude's the only guy that doesn't talk about the same shit over and over.......but then again - Ghost is pretty much my favorite - and people aren't wild about that either.

I just hope the record doesn't sound anything like his gear looks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Am I absolutely crazy - or were the beats on One Stop Carnival not that bad? I mean it was fully produced by Slim Kid Tre in 94....beside Killer BA Green on the mic - I think the music itself was more than surprisingly pretty decent - if memory serves me correct.

U actually heard that album? How?

U actually heard that album? How?
    I was (and still am) a huge Pharcyde fan....remember picking up that CD at Heavy Rotation on Ventura Blvd (used CD store - RIP) and laughing at it and then seeing that Tre did the whole thing and being like "whu?"

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ok

whip test? check
    ipod test? check

the album is fucking fire and haters are just gonna have to deal with it.

I mean, if you hate it now, you're REALLY gonna hate it when every song on this thing is everywhere.

Its a massive record. make no mistake.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ok

whip test? check
    ipod test? check

I mean, if you hate it now, you're REALLY gonna hate it when every song on this thing is everywhere.

Local Black EXP test........

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    ok

whip test? check
    ipod test? check

LOL! Real talk. Funny dressed Europeans will LOVE this record.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Doc,

Just jokes hommie! LOL. That comment was not directed at you so plaese to not "Take it personal" like Gangstarr.

Doc,

Just jokes hommie! LOL. That comment was not directed at you so plaese to not "Take it personal" like Gangstarr.

Nah, I was just funnin' as well.

FWIW, I think about half of it is good, some of it is not so good, and some of it is straight-up

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    ok

whip test? check
    ipod test? check

I don't know if I pass the SS black enough litmus test but I personally am in agreement with Bside here.

ok

whip test? check
    ipod test? check

I don't know if I pass the SS black enough litmus test but I personally am in agreement with Bside here.

THANK YOU. You look black enough to me lol.

But anyways, the rest of yall might wanna give it another listen,

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    can't believe soulstrut is talking about a new album by kanye west. is there a new puff daddy album? or jay-z? missy elliot?

can't believe soulstrut is talking about a new album by kanye west. is there a new puff daddy album? or jay-z? missy elliot?

Are we not over this yet? If Kanye was some mid-level indie producer without a real hit to his name, the same people who dismiss him with remarks like this would be all over his nuts. I wish a few more people would have the stones to say, "The main reason I don't like Kanye is because he sells records".

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Are we not over this yet? If Kanye was some mid-level indie producer without a real hit to his name, the same people who dismiss him with remarks like this would be all over his nuts. I wish a few more people would have the stones to say, "The main reason I don't like Kanye is because he sells records".

i can't stand him/his music, because he/it sucks. that's all.

i'm not over anyones nuts. i'm not like you. AYOOOOOO!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

Wow, guys like you still exist?

Anyway, if you cut off Drunk & Hot Girls and the last two tracks it's a good album, I liked the first two albums more though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Anyway, if you cut off Drunk & Hot Girls and the last two tracks it's a good album, I liked the first two albums more though.

you're so right!
    da firzt albumz were slammin'.

seriously, i think some of you are hip hop whores. go to a concert or something. see a real band play and get over the producer hype.

• Any ideas of why the music comes off so lazy?

truncated "Pee Wee's Dance" snare on "I Wonder"?

Seriously though, Kanye's use of the Joeski Love snare DOES NOT BANG like, say, when Daz recycled it on "My Ambitionz Az A Ridah"

you're so right!
    da firzt albumz were slammin'.

seriously, i think some of you are hip hop whores. go to a concert or something. see a real band play and get over the producer hype.

Just so you know, I go to see plenty of live music. I saw Prince last week, and he was dope (Maceo Parker's in his band, so it's OK for hair-shirted funk fundamentalists to like him). I also saw Kanye earlier that same week, and he was crap. You might think this proves something. I dunno. Prince has made dull records, and Kanye great ones, and this has no bearing on the quality of their respective live acts.

I dunno about you, but at the top of this page, there's a slogan that reads "CRATE DIGGING DJ & HIP HOP (sub)CULTURE", so I'd say that any discussion on the respective merits, or otherwise, of a new record by Kanye, Diddy, Jay-Z, Missy Elliott, Lil' Wayne, Shabazz the Disciple, Rah Digga or MC Brains is well within the brief of what Soulstrut ought to be talking about. If all you can do is make lofty pronouncements about what some of us should do with their spare time, or post a response seemingly designed to show how above the whole thing you are anyway, then you might want to sit this one out. Merely an observation.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I dunno about you, but at the top of this page, there's a slogan that reads "CRATE DIGGING DJ & HIP HOP (sub)CULTURE", so I'd say that any discussion on the respective merits, or otherwise, of a new record by Kanye, Diddy, Jay-Z, Missy Elliott, Lil' Wayne, Shabazz the Disciple, Rah Digga or MC Brains is well within the brief of what Soulstrut ought to be talking about. If all you can do is make lofty pronouncements about what some of us should do with their spare time, or post a response designed purely to let everyone know how above the whole thing you are anyway, then you might want to sit this one out. Merely an observation.

OK then. Here's my opinion:
    I think his music is not worth listening to. I feel sorry for todays youth. They are being assed out.
    I'm just baffled. How much influence do those people have? Producers like him are so lucky. People nowadays are dumb enough to listen to them. Not only to their music. I think people like Kanye West are bad for music. Not for the music industry. But for music itself. And just beacuse he claims to produce hip hop music doesn't mean that he is cool anyway. Shitty music is shitty music. No matter what.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what he/she should talk about. I always thought that this place could do a little better. I wouldn't really mind Kanye West discussions if we had some talk about other hip hop music as well. But people keep posting about Kanye West/Jay-Z/Dilla/Primo ALL THE TIME. I think people stoped to post about other R&B/hip hop music, because they were getting gasfaced every single time. How come talking about Kanye West is cool then?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Grope,

Just find a new message board then. Your handle might as well be named "Gripe."

I dunno about you, but at the top of this page, there's a slogan that reads "CRATE DIGGING DJ & HIP HOP (sub)CULTURE", so I'd say that any discussion on the respective merits, or otherwise, of a new record by Kanye, Diddy, Jay-Z, Missy Elliott, Lil' Wayne, Shabazz the Disciple, Rah Digga or MC Brains is well within the brief of what Soulstrut ought to be talking about. If all you can do is make lofty pronouncements about what some of us should do with their spare time, or post a response designed purely to let everyone know how above the whole thing you are anyway, then you might want to sit this one out. Merely an observation.

I think his music is not worth listening to. I feel sorry for todays youth. They are being assed out.
    I'm just baffled. How much influence do those people have? Producers like him are so lucky. People nowadays are dumb enough to listen to them. Not only to their music. I think people like Kanye West are bad for music. Not for the music industry. But for music itself. And just beacuse he claims to produce hip hop music doesn't mean that he is cool anyway. Shitty music is shitty music. No matter what.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what he/she should talk about. I always thought that this place could do a little better. I wouldn't really mind Kanye West discussions if we had some talk about other hip hop music as well. But people keep posting about Kanye West/Jay-Z/Dilla/Primo ALL THE TIME. I think people stoped to post about other R&B/hip hop music, because they were getting gasfaced every single time. How come talking about Kanye West is cool then?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    find a new message board

SERIOUSLY!
    you're sounding real sore.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Grope,

Just find a new message board then.

Why should I?

• I dunno about you, but at the top of this page, there's a slogan that reads "CRATE DIGGING DJ & HIP HOP (sub)CULTURE", so I'd say that any discussion on the respective merits, or otherwise, of a new record by Kanye, Diddy, Jay-Z, Missy Elliott, Lil' Wayne, Shabazz the Disciple, Rah Digga or MC Brains is well within the brief of what Soulstrut ought to be talking about. If all you can do is make lofty pronouncements about what some of us should do with their spare time, or post a response designed purely to let everyone know how above the whole thing you are anyway, then you might want to sit this one out. Merely an observation.

I agree with alot of this but then again I am in the Kanye = shit bandwagon. I think there is alot of other hip-hop talk on here it just gets lost in between the Texas Rap/Kanye or other huge rap artist/baltimore club threads. I am not mad but you just gotta find it.

PS. I still think Premier is killing it. The tracks he did with BIG SHUG and SKYZOO are killing it. Sorry had to throw that in for your omment above. ha!

I agree with alot of this but then again I am in the Kanye = shit bandwagon. I think there is alot of other hip-hop talk on here it just gets lost in between the Texas Rap/Kanye or other huge rap artist/baltimore club threads. I am not mad but you just gotta find it.

PS. I still think Premier is killing it. The tracks he did with BIG SHUG and SKYZOO are killing it. Sorry had to throw that in for your omment above. ha!

yes of course because obviously...

kanye = shit
    while
    Skyzoo = incredible

but really if you dont have BIG SHUG in your top 5, then you dont know your hip hop.

• yes of course because obviously...

kanye = shit
    while
    Skyzoo = incredible

but really if you dont have BIG SHUG in your top 5, then you dont know your hip hop.

haha seriously? You are getting asshurt because I think Kanye is a shitty rapper? Please read what i wrote about Skyzoo and Shug and talk to me then instead of putting words in my mouth.

I do appreciate that real schitt much more than kanye's weak fad driven hollywood shit though. But thats me. So please keep enjoying the Kanye album for what it is but don't try to tell me that as a rapper Kanye is anything more than watered down for the mainstream listening audience trash.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You sound wilde European (no offense to my European dudes).

Outta curiosity - what music do you like that's out right now? I mean - I'm a massive hater - as big as they come - and even I'm having hard time understanding what you're talking about. What has been tickling your fancy recently?

Oh and the Kanye album - decent. Not great. Flashing or whatever is real ill - that synth line is killing em. Song after Flashing is dope too - whatever it's called.

I can't even imagine what they paid to clear Steely Dan - but for that track it sure as shit wasn't worth it.

Whole album's a little bit too introspective....but he says some clever shit....and as corny as the Big Brother track may be - that's some crazy shit to put on blast.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ok

whip test? check
    ipod test? check

Man, I fully expected this thread to taint my enjoyment of Graduation after reading through it this weekend. So much hate. I don't fashion myself as a music critic, but through my ears, this a good album! A lot of fun to listen to (if that counts for anything in music anymore). I swear, some of ya'll act a little too raelschitt for your own good and it's gonna catch up with you one of these days.