Girlfriend bugging in my shop

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Dude - that shit is awesome. First aussie-related gramlen ever?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    jazzysport has a coffee bar built into their store.

I think I'm the only dude that doesn't mind shoe shopping with a girl, as long as it's not espadrilles. I think womens shoes are a great design medium of pop culture. It's an excellent telltale sign of someone's personality.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    bearclaw

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    See the thing is I have the girlfriend bench.

My mother-in-law has napped on that bench.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    WATER COOLER

dissolve some tranquilizers in there.

wait that sounded hella wrong.

I just mean to mellow them girls out that's all.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    seriously, dudes never been hongry?

Mwwwwaahahahaa CLASSIC.

But SOI - and Kon - are right. It was the dough, not the time spent.

Everybody knows it is a pleasure for boys AND girls to paruse my goods

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    ... all dehydrated.

LOL

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    this thread is comedy! but i have witnessed an ex-boyfriend go completely nuts because we lagged with breakfast motivation one hungover saturday morning and his blood sugar dropped which in turn shortened his fuse but as soon as pancakes were all up in his face everything was normal and nice again. isn't low blood sugar conducive to crabbiness? seriously, dudes never been hongry?

'Round these parts we refer to that as being "hangry."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It also helps to let him/her know what to expect before going in - that you may be a long long long time and maybe s/he should go do their own thing and meet back later. This has worked for us so far...not counting the times I wasn't ready and kept saying just two more minutes, just two more minutes. Generally, record shopping is not a couples activity, unless you both do it and to the same extent.

• Options
    See the thing is I have the girlfriend bench. I have the pseudo park bench with the table and some fly magazines and the village voice and a fucking WATER COOLER

I know your problem, you don't have any padding on the bench. No one sits on a park bench for more than a half hour unless they're homeless or carrying around their own overstuffed ass. A lot of the girls who come into your shop probably have these little skinny butts that hurt after a few minutes of sitting on that uncomfortable thing, so they get all whiny and at that point a water cooler can be full of chardonnay and all the magazines can be full of huge dicks wearing nice shoes and it wouldn't make a difference. Throw some pads on that bitch.

Last time I was there I bought a plate from Mama's down the block and ate it in my car before I came in because the seats are more comfortable. I'm not about to catch a hemmoroid over a plate of chicken.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    See the thing is I have the girlfriend bench. I have the pseudo park bench with the table and some fly magazines and the village voice and a fucking WATER COOLER

I know your problem, you don't have any padding on the bench. No one sits on a park bench for more than a half hour unless they're homeless or carrying around their own overstuffed ass. A lot of the girls who come into your shop probably have these little skinny butts that hurt after a few minutes of sitting on that uncomfortable thing, so they get all whiny and at that point a water cooler can be full of chardonnay and all the magazines can be full of huge dicks wearing nice shoes and it wouldn't make a difference. Throw some pads on that bitch.

Last time I was there I bought a plate from Mama's down the block and ate it in my car before I came in because the seats are more comfortable. I'm not about to catch a hemmoroid over a plate of chicken.

You should get Connect 4 in there or Guitar Hero. That would really up your game.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

But SOI - and Kon - are right. It was the dough, not the time spent.

I question the digging credentials of anyone here who claims they have never pissed off their significant other over either the dough or the time spent on records.

They are either lying about it or alarmingly unaware of themselves. Bench or no bench.

Hmmm. You may be right. I will tell the wife that I need throw pillows. Those are like two little magic words for her...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    full of huge dicks wearing nice shoes
    I'm not about to catch a hemmoroid over a plate of chicken.

I hope that ankle never heels!

OK, I'm gunna pick on the diggers a little bit here.

[I Love All My Customers] Some guys stop by to dig. The whole time they are digging they are looking out at their car. Turns out they have a sleeping baby in the car. I don't know which is worse, the guys who leave the car running or the guys who turn the car off. That ain't no way to be a parent.

I have guys come with their toddlers. I like toddlers, happy to have them in my store, but guys you still have to be a parent and keep an eye on them even when you are digging.

I think the worse is the guys on vacation that come with a van full of kids and relatives, spend 2 hours digging while the rest of the family sits in the car, sending someone in every 5 minutes to ask "Daddy, are you done yet? I'm hungry". Dad says "almost done" with out looking up and with out meaning it.

Dante C came by my shop once. Looked at every record. Found some good stuff including a Cajun psych record for $3.00 that had been sitting there for years, talked to me about records and digging and was gone in 45 minutes. There is no reason for any one to have to take 2 hours to look at all my records. Some people are here for 4 hours. [/I Love All My Customers]

Off subject. I hate being at a record sale or show with more diggers than boxes, and some guy is reading the liner notes on each record in the box you are waiting to get in.

When we would travel I used to spend all day looking at records while N looked at architecture, museums and went to the farmers market. After a few years I realized she was having more fun than me.

Even so, I wasted 1/2 of 2 days digging for records in Barcelona.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Hmmm. You may be right. I will tell the wife that I need throw pillows. Those are like two little magic words for her...

i think sween is right though but don't get throw pillows. it won't work for sitting on. you need to get some foam from the sew shop and upholster it.

this is from this diy todd oldham book i have and i think it would probably be the ideal bench.

if you want me to send the "recipe" i can. the instructions didn't seem too complex to make.

Yes, please send the recipe!

I actually was thinking recently of retiring the bench, for something more comfortable. Sometimes I need to rest too! I don't want a ratty old couch though.

The shit needs a back part for me to chillax on though.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    See the thing is I have the girlfriend bench.
    my girl sat there for an hour last year

I think the worse is the guys on vacation that come with a van full of kids and relatives, spend 2 hours digging while the rest of the family sits in the car, sending someone in every 5 minutes to ask "Daddy, are you done yet? I'm hungry". Dad says "almost done" with out looking up and with out meaning it.

Oh my, this is indeed the worst! You get the feeling that this is the ONLY time dad is allowed in a record shop.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Oh my, this is indeed the worst! You get the feeling that this is the ONLY time dad is allowed in a record shop.

I could see bringin your lady to the shop if there is nothing around the store for her to do but its NY!! How could she not find something interesting to do out there?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you should have an unofficial referral program between nearby stores that cater to the other half's needs.

Or maybe you should print a stack of superfuture maps and leave them by the bench.

I could see bringin your lady to the shop if there is nothing around the store for her to do but its NY!! How could she not find something interesting to do out there?

This is the truth. People think their girl has to be into records. NO. She needs to be independant enough to go do something she would enjoy on her own.

Back when I used to waste my time at garage sales and flea markets I tried to get N into collecting something, anything. But she has no love for stuff. For a while she was taking pictures of doll parts but they started to creep her out. But she has no problem saying good bye getting on the subway and going to MoMA if we are in NYC.

• Hey Paycheck, whats your location again?I know its LES but its been a year since i've stopped in and i'm back in NYC again so I wanna bring my girl by!!(naw just me for reelz)

179 East 3rd st between Ave A & B

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hey Paycheck, whats your location again?I know its LES but its been a year since i've stopped in and i'm back in NYC again so I wanna bring my girl by!!(naw just me for reelz)

Ill keep her entertained.....

• Ill keep her entertained.....

Hi-oooooooooo!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The interesting girls come out of thee woodwork for live shows and/or good dj's, but lord knows where they hide the rest of the time.

in my bed sucking the dillz...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Why don't you put a table next to the bench with some paper plates, macaroni, and elmers to keep the girls busy? ??

I kid I kid....

No but seriously it seems you have three out of four "needs"

the only thing your missing is :

You can fill it with Dum Dums and put a sticker on it that says "If only its sounds like this"..........

but it all comes down to one simple little word. Sugar. Gotta keep your levels balanced.

You could get a mini fridge though with some soda or a pop machine that spits out soda and and tall cans.

Quiz and trivia books are good. You dont have to read too much to retain the info and dont have to get into it too much to care. Like if your going to read a 5 page article in a zine you know your going to be sitting there for at least 20-30 mins.....

Short facts make for a seemlingly shorter time and makes the time go by quicker.

Also those little hand held electronic poker games might be a good look or an old school game boy with some tetris action.

the bonus round:

Keep your bathroom clean and let them use it if they ask.