NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• I think he's still a top guard. At the very least, statiscally.

What's HE won though? Ever? Near first-round upset of the Sonics over a decade ago?

Just applying Strut-approved discussions and measures evenly.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    whatever. marbury is insanely talented. if you don't think he can make a team better, then you don't know basketball.

BAN....

"So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault," Brown told Sheridan. "I don't know why you play a team sport and not be concerned about making your teammates better and helping your team win games. That's the only thing that really matters, and if you're the best player, surely you're going to have some effect on the game's outcome."

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I think he's still a top guard. At the very least, statiscally.

What's HE won though? Ever? Near first-round upset of the Sonics over a decade ago?

there are plenty of great nba players who have never won.... and i've heard that they actually play 5 on 5 in the nba. one guy can't always do it all, especially a point guard.

i'd put him on the same level as AI - talent-wise.

• I think he's still a top guard. At the very least, statiscally.

there are plenty of great nba players who have never won.... and i've heard that they actually play 5 on 5 in the nba. one guy can't always do it all, especially a point guard.

My tack here is a little different than yours. This is the Strut NBA thread. This isn't Nam, there are rules.

AI? AI passes my 'eye test' over Starbury ten times out of ten.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I love Steph, but let's not get carried away.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

maybe he meant "creating off court youtube gold-wise" instead of "talent-wise"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I used to like Marbury too, but he's in the rare breed of talented guards that passes the rock to the swingman or other star player and absolutely stands around on the perimeter. Basically 1+1=2 when you're playing with him. No synergy. I could imagine his game hasn't evolved much since playing with KG in Minnesota.

Grant Hill to the Suns is a very good look.

Honestly, what does Hill in PHX do for anybody besides give him the opportunity to be on a contending team? He's not a difference-maker on a stacked roster like that. He wasn't even that big of a factor in the east. This trade doesn't do anything for me.

Trade Marbury.

Give Steph one more year. If he can't pull himself together enough to play with two all-star calibur big men as the anchors down low, then it will be time to find somebody who can.

Grant Hill is a baller. What you mean by "stacked"? The Suns roster ain't that crazy really, aside from their starting five. Matter of fact, any team could benefit from acquiring a versatile vet at the small forward position.

I could imagine his game hasn't evolved much since playing with KG in Minnesota.

Basketball Telepathy!

I could imagine his game hasn't evolved much since playing with KG in Minnesota.

Basketball Telepathy!

am I right?

Basketball Telepathy!

am I right?

The true Basketball Telepath never has to ask!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

The true Basketball Telepath
    Yuichi: This is your new location or you're soft.

Basketball Telepathy!

am I right?

That's right. Apparently Coney Island's finest doesn't translate to success in the league. Same thing can be said about Sebastian Telfair. Shane Battier gets more love than them.

The true Basketball Telepath
    Yuichi: This is your new location or you're soft.

done.

Basketball Telepathy!

am I right?

That's right. Apparently Coney Island's finest doesn't translate to success in the league. Same thing can be said about Sebastian Telfair. Shane Battier gets more love than them.

Dude, Steph and his cousin shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. Bassie was a victim of excessive hype, of an ill-advised decision to skip college and, now, of media demonization. All that aside, though, he never had anything close to Steph's gifts.

I am not even touching the Shane Battier comment.

Marbury was an NBA All-Star in 2001 and 2003 and an All-NBA Third Team member in 2003. Known for his quickness, ball handling and inside scoring, he stands as only the second player in NBA history to have career averages of at least 20 points and 8 assists per game (Oscar Robertson was the first, with career averages of 25.7 points and 9.5 assists per game).

Basketball Telepathy!

am I right?

Dude, Steph and his cousin shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. Bassie was a victim of excessive hype, of an ill-advised decision to skip college and, now, of media demonization. All that aside, though, he never had anything close to Steph's gifts.

Don't worry, I'm just playing with you. I am actually rooting for Sebastian Telfair to do some good. But as history has shown, it seems reallly difficult for street ballers to really be a solid player in the league. I've watched enough of Rafer Alston to say that.

There's a place for everybody. "Point Gods" at Rucker, and mediocre in the league. That's fine. I gotta agree that there was Lebron James-esque hype around Telfair.

Marbury was an NBA All-Star in 2001 and 2003 and an All-NBA Third Team member in 2003. Known for his quickness, ball handling and inside scoring, he stands as only the second player in NBA history to have career averages of at least 20 points and 8 assists per game (Oscar Robertson was the first, with career averages of 25.7 points and 9.5 assists per game).

Basketball is a game of synergy.

THIS is knowledge dropped and should be planted into the headz of many an exec and casual fan alike.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Basketball Telepathy!

am I right?

Telfair was definitely over-hyped. He should have played in college first. He was crazy in HS though, that Through the Fire docu has some great footage of him. Too bad he came into the NBA too early and made more of an impact in the media for getting busted doing stupid shit than he ever did on the court.

LMFAO at Starbury being as good as A.I., talent wise! Please be serious!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I've watched enough of Rafer Alston to say that.

Right, because as long as you've seen one player from the street, you've seen them all!

Right, because as long as you've seen one player from the street, you've seen them all!

It's not like Bassie was some uncoachable blacktop legend, though. Dude was a high school player--that's what you're supposed to be doing at his age.

He made the jump too soon, was never in the right situation for his game, and I think his size was also more of an impediment in the L. He had a lot working against him and with the way the media had built him up, it was inevitable that what was actually a pretty predictable result would be viewed as a massive failure.

Skip to My Lou is a servicable point guard who is the execption to the rule when looking at "street" ballers in the L. Dude is doing just fine. Is he a championship pg.....No. But on a good team he does fine.

Marbury had a good year last year and at one point was right there w/ the Answer. I just question his ability to elevate his teammates. I route for him year in and year out to have that crazy season, but it never happens. Id like to see him on the Cavs where he isnt expected to be Starbury and just distribute the ball,brakdown the D,and make the open shot. Be the third option.

I remember he and A.I. did up the West Coast singlehandedly by themselves in a comeback victory in the All-Star game.

Shit was

Skip to My Lou is a servicable point guard who is the execption to the rule when looking at "street" ballers in the L. Dude is doing just fine. Is he a championship pg.....No. But on a good team he does fine.

Marbury had a good year last year and at one point was right there w/ the Answer. I just question his ability to elevate his teammates. I route for him year in and year out to have that crazy season, but it never happens. Id like to see him on the Cavs where he isnt expected to be Starbury and just distribute the ball,brakdown the D,and make the open shot. Be the third option.

I remember he and A.I. did up the West Coast singlehandedly by themselves in a comeback victory in the All-Star game.

Shit was

I do remember that Allstar game. Some exciting ass shit right there.

HOWEVER, you Eastcoast dudes are mad lenient when it comes to evaluating yo players, playa. EASTCOAST BIAS.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Is there something in this thread about Marbury's "swagger"??

Isn't this the dude who's Mommy stood outside the Knicks locker room and yelled at his team mates as they exited???

It's not like Bassie was some uncoachable blacktop legend, though. Dude was a high school player--that's what you're supposed to be doing at his age.

He made the jump too soon, was never in the right situation for his game, and I think his size was also more of an impediment in the L. He had a lot working against him and with the way the media had built him up, it was inevitable that what was actually a pretty predictable result would be viewed as a massive failure.

That's basically it.

It's not Sebastian Telfair's fault. It's a systematic problem of the NBA more than anything. Imagine how much better the quality of play will be if, players were mandated to 3 years in a structured environment that is the NCAA.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

you Eastcoast dudes are mad lenient when it comes to evaluating yo players, playa

This from the dude who thinks Dunleavy is a big asset to his team?

HOWEVER, you Eastcoast dudes are mad lenient when it comes to evaluating yo players, playa. EASTCOAST BIAS.

Says the dude that thinks D-Fish is one of the game's top PGs.

Says the dude that thinks D-Fish is one of the game's top PGs.

I never once said that. You should go back to the "manuscripts".