New Genre alert: HIPSTER-HOP

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I'm not clowning- but there is kind of a scene forming- no?

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    One year of rapping

but lol @ me getting mad at amateur rappers
    hey my mims ringtone is going off

• I thought the Native Tongues started hipster-hop?

There is the good, and the bad (le bien, le mal).

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    oh yeah. for the most part its pretty annoying.

but its already here.

cool kids
    kid sister
    grey kid

shit like that.

• :5pager:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im not sure who is in the third or last picture but i can get with the rest of the artists listed. spankrock has raps and xxxchange got beats. amanda is one of the only white (female too!) rappers i can stand and she can definitely rap. i havent heard much kid sister but what i've heard was all right. although a good portion of these artists fanbase are hipster douchebags, it's doing a disservice to all of them by referring to them as "hipster-hop." i could see amanda blowing up if marketed well.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im not sure who is in the third or last picture but i can get with the rest of the artists listed. spankrock has raps and xxxchange got beats. amanda is one of the only white (female too!) rappers i can stand and she can definitely rap. i havent heard much kid sister but what i've heard was all right. although a good portion of these artists fanbase are hipster douchebags, it's doing a disservice to all of them by referring to them as "hipster-hop." i could see amanda blowing up if marketed well.
    i dont know, maybe its a disservice if you intend it pejoratively (i don't know, i haven't really heard any of them) but i think it helps to explain why someone who's been rapping for one year and has no hits gets on the cover of a magazine.

i mean, if you have a better name, feel free to offer it.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I thought the Native Tongues started hipster-hop?

I'm guessing less cocaine...could be wrong though.

and white chicks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    somebody linked me to a blog these dudes were doing:

it was like a poor man's Beer and Rap

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    as if urb is a magazine to take seriously. also, if you even bothered to look at the cover, it clearly states that it's the "next 1000" issue which might suggest that these are acts that do not have any hits but urb feels that they have potential.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont know how it sounds, but hip-hop is LOOKING great for once!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    as if urb is a magazine to take seriously. also, if you even bothered to look at the cover, it clearly states that it's the "next 1000" issue which might suggest that these are acts that do not have any hits but urb feels that they have potential.
    did they put lil mama on last year's list?

just playin

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i don't know. you would have to ask someone who actually reads the magazine.

i mean, if you have a better name, feel free to offer it.

that's what i'm sayin.

i think it's good scene acctually- it's fun.

Amanda Blank is hot, no?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fiftyonefiftyone/tags/amandablank/

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just dont feel the need to label raps beyond where they from or if they're good or bad. am i the only one?

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    am i the only one?

No.

i just dont feel the need to label raps beyond where they from or if they're good or bad. am i the only one?

yeah of course- but it's going to happen regardless (see coke rap, hip-house, jazz-rap...and that's just hip-hop).

You might as well have fun with the mass generalizations.

Even the old timers are trying to get in on it...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    am i the only one?

No.

All I give a shit about is good and bad.

am i the only one?

No.

Come on people - get of your high horse. Of course that's true.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    am i the only one?

No.

High horse? Nah. I'm just saying people make too much of a big deal about all this shit. Like what you like.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    am i the only one?

No.

High horse? Nah. I'm just saying people make too much of a big deal about all this shit. Like what you like.

agreed. there are countless threads on here with pics of hipster looking rappers/djs. we get it. hip hop has long since crossed over to the point where there is an enormous (non hip hop looking) audience that digs certain subgenres of the music but is entirely removed from hip hop culture and the history of rap music in general. some people might be offended by that idea. if so, the merits of the music won't matter. if not, listen and decide for yourself. i'd rather choose option "c" and wait to hear someone credible give an artist some praise. 1000 new artists in 2007? i think they have myspace music covered pretty thoroughly.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You dudes sound mad insecure about your affection for hipster-hop--embrace the little dude inside you that lusts for a pair of tight white jeans and some vintage Nike cleats!

You dudes sound mad insecure about your affection for hipster-hop--embrace the little dude inside you that lusts for a pair of tight white jeans and some vintage Nike cleats!

THANK YOU. Please enjoy Spankrock and the gang- have a ball! I'm not mad.

Whether they're good or bad isn't MY point.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Spoken like a true hollertronix board member.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Spoken like a true stalker.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Spoken like a true stalker.

Most of the people on here are associated with that board it doesn't take a lot of deductive/stalker skills to know you are over there as well.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm gonna get the new Brother Ali album.

I'm gonna get the new Brother Ali album.
    or ?

I cant decide.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

It's dangerous to eliminate music (even moreso rap music) from it's context. Often this appears in terms of geography, but I imagine you can take a similar approach concerning social status and general fan-base, because as much as a lot of us would hate to admit, these factors do come in to play at all different levesl.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    what's crazy is that amy winehouse is considered one of the next 1000.. hasn't she already hit?

• cool kids

I don't know anything about the Cool Kids but did hear a few of their tracks from a friend and was feeling it. Are they from Chicago?