New Genre alert: HIPSTER-HOP

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

cool kids

Are they from Chicago?

yup - aka hipster-hop capital. (Flosstradomus, Kid sister, Lupe and OG Kanye).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

cool kids

Are they from Chicago?

man traxster better drop 'return of gangster music' soon and redeem us : (

chicago is like bizzaro world for people in the rest of the country complaining about how there isn't enough 'balance' now like there was in the early 90s, and everyone is a gangster.

we need some dudes NOT rocking tight jeans and everyman rhymes to balance all that shit out.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

It's dangerous to eliminate music (even moreso rap music) from it's context. Often this appears in terms of geography, but I imagine you can take a similar approach concerning social status and general fan-base, because as much as a lot of us would hate to admit, these factors do come in to play at all different levesl.

Careful, you're bordering on dangerous mindz territory. I don't want to see a homie get stake and torched.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

cool kids

Are they from Chicago?

man traxster better drop 'return of gangster music' soon and redeem us : (

chicago is like bizzaro world for people in the rest of the country complaining about how there isn't enough 'balance' now like there was in the early 90s, and everyone is a gangster.

we need some dudes NOT rocking tight jeans and everyman rhymes to balance all that shit out.

lol i forgot

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i dont know, maybe its a disservice if you intend it pejoratively (i don't know, i haven't really heard any of them) but i think it helps to explain why someone who's been rapping for one year and has no hits gets on the cover of a magazine.

i mean, if you have a better name, feel free to offer it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont know, maybe its a disservice if you intend it pejoratively (i don't know, i haven't really heard any of them) but i think it helps to explain why someone who's been rapping for one year and has no hits gets on the cover of a magazine.

i mean, if you have a better name, feel free to offer it.

kid sister isn't white

i agree w/ you in spirit

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is there anything that noz does that you don't agree with?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hipster hop will go the way of the all over print hoodie in T minus 6 months.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    kid sister isn't white

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm gonna get the new Brother Ali album.
    or ?

I cant decide.

I typically don't check for underground releases, but I'm liking the first couple clips that I checked out. Grown man introspective shit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

noz is pretty on point most of the time.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    im not too worried about all the categorizations...i'll leave to journalists and people who spend too much time thinking about music. but spankrock and amanda kill shit on stage on stage and get most of the crowd to dance, have fun and not act like hardrocks. works for me. i be hookin up with girls at those shows.

whose the last group in those pics?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This one time Noz said that Missie wasn't that good of a rapper...

but spankrock and amanda kill shit on stage on stage and get most of the crowd to dance, have fun and not act like hardrocks. works for me. i be hookin up with girls at those shows.

I whole-heartedly agree with that! I'm not hatin on this scene - i'm just saying that it is a scene and I find it interesting. It's definitely poppin off all over - chicago, philly, ny and even here in L.A. they got the hipster-hop dance parties.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I don't fuck with spankrock, amanda blank, or kid sister. I don't know who the dudes in the third picture of are but the last dudes, cool kids, I like those dudes music. I had no idea who they were until sxsw. I was just chilling with my homie drinking and they went on. I wasn't paying attention but like half way into the song I'm standing there like fuck these dudes are dope. I don't know shit about them but based of that performance I will check them for sure.

I had to holler at catchdubs to find out who those dudes were and as it turns out he's gonna put out their record on his Fools Gold joint.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I tried to listen to all those groups and it was all pretty bad and i ahve not ahd anyone ask or buy any of those releases. I think its mostly internet fame an thats where alot of it ends.

that cool kids stuff was pretty bad.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    im not too worried about all the categorizations...i'll leave to journalists and people who spend too much time thinking about music. but spankrock and amanda kill shit on stage on stage and get most of the crowd to dance, have fun and not act like hardrocks. works for me. i be hookin up with girls at those shows.

whose the last group in those pics?

Exactly. This shit is made for people to dance and have a good time. I would classify it unto itself. There's a lot more influences in it than just hip hop.

That said, most of it is not my thing, but all of these folks mentioned are friends of friends and I've met or hungout with most of them and they're good people. That's about all I got to say about it.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    i just dont feel the need to label raps beyond where they from or if they're good or bad. am i the only one?

It's dangerous to eliminate music (even moreso rap music) from it's context. Often this appears in terms of geography, but I imagine you can take a similar approach concerning social status and general fan-base, because as much as a lot of us would hate to admit, these factors do come in to play at all different levesl.

It's just like Eric Clapton or SRV and blues. Not because they're white, because they don't do it right. They gut the music for the elements that they want and toss the rest.

OG HIPSTER-HOP

HIPSTER-HOP CLASSICS

DESPERATELY TRYING TO STAY HIPSTER-HOP

sorry...i'm still havin fun with this.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    HIPSTER-HOP CLASSICS

How you figure?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    HIPSTER-HOP CLASSICS

How you figure?

yeah i dunno about that.. if anything they paved the way for alterna/hipster-hop acts. but that lp is str8 up jeep music.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This thread is full of a bunch of people just talking loud and saying nothing.

I got the idea about hipster-hop from this article I read today:

http://www.thebrilliance.com/thebrilliance/interviews/coolkids/interview.asp

Maybe I came off like I was dissing this style/scene or whatever you want to call it. But I actually see something out there in the clubs and the streets that I think is new and fresh. The comment about these artists getting on stage and getting crowd to dance, have fun and not act like hardrocks - is what I love about it. The fact that these Hollertronix-style parties have gotten huge is undeniable and that people are calling it skate-rap, gallery rap (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/track_reviews/genre/gallery+rap/page_4) or hipster -hop is well HILARIOUS!

No hard feelings.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I can't really get with this this hipster hop shit, but I will say that in the right setting some of this shit goes hard.

The number one thing that bugs me about the hipster hop fanbase is the fact that most of these fools can only appreciate, dance and act a fool to the real gutter, raw-as-fuck club bangers in the safety of their own kind. I have dudes requesting street shit on our "weekend warrior"/hipster-ish night that wouldn't DARE step foot in the club on our predominantly Black night. These are the same dumb motherfuckers rocking bandanas and throwing their little ironic "gang signs." I can't stand those fools.

And for the record, Brother Ali's name DOES NOT BELONG IN THIS THREAD.

Thank you.

Herm

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The number one thing that bugs me about the hipster hop fanbase is the fact that most of these fools can only appreciate, dance and act a fool to the real gutter, raw-as-fuck club bangers in the safety of their own kind. I have dudes requesting street shit on our "weekend warrior"/hipster-ish night that wouldn't DARE step foot in the club on our predominantly Black night. These are the same dumb motherfuckers rocking bandanas and throwing their little ironic "gang signs." I can't stand those fools.
    yep

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Word to that.

And honestly Cosmo, I know what you're saying, and I feel that, but you should be just as offended by some of shit. Being who you is, and stuff.

I cannot fuck with that dynamic downtown. Trust fund kids fucked up on codeine and dope pretend-wilding out in the safest Lower East Side ever.

That said I am curious about the Baltimore shit. As a pretty segregated city, is the club scene segregated? I talk to a lot of white folks that are real into Baltimore club music. And having never been out clubbing in Baltimore, I wonder what the scene is like.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Baltimore[][][]As a pretty segregated city

plaese to tell me of a mid-to-large USA city that is NOT segregated so's i can plan my next move.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    hi deej