NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• Oh man. Mavs vs. Warriors in round one, if it goes down, will be awesome.

Some funny tidbits from an article in DMN today:

Nellie?

Here's what he told the media Sunday after the Warriors took control of their playoff destiny and reporters asked him how he'd prepare for his old team:

"I'll smoke a cigar, drink scotch and form my game plan," he said. "The more scotch I drink, the better the game plan gets."

Think how much fun the first round could be.

If the Mavs draw the Clippers, what do we talk about? Matchups? Strategy?

They get the Warriors, and it's not basketball. It's theater.

Did you catch Nellie's concession speech a while back? The Warriors had just suffered their fourth straight loss, a 30-point pasting by the Bulls in Chicago, dropping their season record seven games under .500.

"I thought I could get this team in the playoffs," he said on Feb. 28, "and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do it."

He called it disappointing. A personal failure.

"But that's the way it is," he said at the time. "You can't get blood out of a turnip. You can't beat a dead horse.

"I'm not blaming anybody but myself."

Awfully valiant of him to fall on his sword like that, too. He could have blamed the fact that they only suited up nine players. No Baron Davis. No Stephen Jackson. They'd have been lucky to beat a good rec team without them, much less the Bulls on the road.

They get Davis and Jackson back, and what happens? The Warriors win 14 of their next 21 and Nellie looks like MacArthur hitting the beach.

Johnson was so amused, he called up Gregg Popovich, the Spurs' coach.

"That was a straight Nellie move," Johnson said of Nellie's speech, "and you guys fell for it.

"Pop and I were laughing."
    [/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And who was it on this board that said Kareem was overrated and had it easy in the NBA because he was 7 ft. tall????

Those sound like the words of a certain Basketball Scientist.

• What do you suppose Cuban paid to rent the refs for the game?

I dunno, what is the value of a game that means nothing but pride? Oh, but wait, it did mean something to the Spurs. Gee, that's too bad.

Duncan has been the whiniest bitch in the league for years and that shit catches up w/ you. I laugh.

You've never heard of Rasheed Wallace, apparently.

Yeah but w/ Rasheed it's like some Last Poets angry-man steez.

With TimTim, it's the big puppy dog eyes, the arms fully extended, palms up...."Did I do that?"...you know what I mean. Look, I have immense respect for Duncan. Shit, he's gone through my team like a hot knoife through butter too many times to even count. I just never appreciated that aspect of his games. He gets oodles of respect already, no need to protest every. single. frickin. call.

That whole scene was baffling (Duncan getting tossed). Is anybody surprised at Joey Crawford though? he's a known loose cannon but this has to be the capper. I hate to see these kinds of ref shennanigans on the eve of the postseason. "Refs bigger than the game" is a valid criticism that is often levied at the NBA.

Spurs were getting the best of the Mavs pre-ejection, but it was a close game and it ain't like the Mavs haven't beat the Spurs w/ Timmie there at crunch-time. It was an unfortunate event in a very entertaining game, meaningless as it may or may not have been. Easily the best rivalry in the NBA right now.

Playoffs. I'm ready.

• my picks for tonight's games:

Cleveland over Philadelphia
    Orlando over Washington
    Indiana over Atlanta
    Toronto over Detroit
    Phoenix over Clippers
    Golden State over Dallas

with TOR/DET and GSW/DAL as the two games to watch.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Joey Crawford suspended indefinitely. He's gone at least for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Joey Crawford suspended indefinitely. He's gone at least for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Wow....are the Refs doing steroids now??????

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

nice the superstar system trumps the ref protection..sweet..any better accounts of what REALLY happened

also

WE NEED ANOTHER THREAD FOR DA PLAYOFFS

gargantuan proportions again

• Joey Crawford suspended indefinitely. He's gone at least for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Unprecedented. Strong message for the NBA to send. It was probably necessary. I won't miss Crawford in the playoffs. Besides, we still have to worry about his younger, black brother.

Feeling vindicated now, Spurs fans?

nice the superstar system trumps the ref protection..sweet..any better accounts of what REALLY happened

also

I think we do know what really happened......since it happened here in Dallas if it were any other way then reported, we would know as Cuban would be spouting it out at every opportunity.

• This shit is wack though. Timmie has had that coming for YEARS. One lil' misstep in Spursville and Herr Stern and the Gestapo come swooping in. Where the fuck were they when the refs were jobbin us out of the Finals last year?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where the fuck were they when the refs were jobbin us out of the Finals last year?

I see you're already polishing up your excuses for use next month.

• Where the fuck were they when the refs were jobbin us out of the Finals last year?

I see you're already polishing up your excuses for use next month.

I see you too, faux. Hi. How are you doing?

This shit is wack though. Timmie has had that coming for YEARS. One lil' misstep in Spursville and Herr Stern and the Gestapo come swooping in. Where the fuck were they when the refs were jobbin us out of the Finals last year?

C'mon Dude....you're sounding like a Lakers fan

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The refs are out of control and this needed to happen...but Tim is a big cry baby.....He didn't start out that way...but when David left he turned into a big fuckin baby...on every damn play...same with Kobe ....but this isn't their league anymore....this is Dwayne and Lebron's league....Dallas was robbed last year but they will get plenty of help from Mr.Official this year ......They need to make tonight's game a statement game.

Better not lose tonight Del

• The refs are out of control and this needed to happen...but Tim is a big cry baby.....He didn't start out that way...but when David left he turned into a big fuckin baby...on every damn play...same with Kobe ....but this isn't their league anymore....this is Dwayne and Lebron's league....Dallas was robbed last year but they will get plenty of help from Mr.Official this year ......They need to make tonight's game a statement game.

Better not lose tonight Del

Hello. ED. Is that you? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE W/ ED???!!!!????????

"Dallas was robbed last year". You heard it here, folks. From a SS sports luminary, no less.

Ed, man.....I can't tell how Avery is going to play it tonight. Roll over and play dead to help out an old buddy? Keep his cards close to the vest for what should be a fun series? Make a statement? He's already said the Sonics game on Wednesday "is the playoff dress rehearsal". I'm not seeing many ways in which the Mavs win tonight in the Dubses last home game.

I'll save my hopes that statements start getting made on Sunday. I'll be watching w/ interest either way. Although I'm usually passed out in the recliner by halftime on those West Coast games.

Ed just made the best post in 80+ pages of NBA talk. Serves him right, he may've also made the worst.

Avery better play to win big......Golden State wants to play Dallas in the first round......you have to change their minds and get some respect back.....you can't be fuckin around playing seven games in the first round ...

that being said...i think Donn has Del & Avery's number

:schitt cooketh:

• Avery better play to win big......Golden State wants to play Dallas in the first round......you have to change their minds and get some respect back.....you can't be fuckin around playing seven games in the first round ...

that being said...i think Donn has Del & Avery's number

:schitt cooketh:

I agree. I wish Avery and the team would make this a statement game...and maybe he will. But with Dirk and them playing big minutes this past Sunday....I don't see it goin down.

Maybe I'll change my prognostication and give Nellie two games instead of one, and I do anticipate some rip-roaring games, but the Mavs won't lose that series. It's all about how much fun you guys get to have along the way.

We can get some scrill going on if you truly believe in them Dubs, EP.

Shit, at this point, G-State might end up 7th. Who do the Lakers got tomorrow, Sacto? No pushovers, them. Ask the Clips.

And I'm not mad at E Brand for being mad at his team. The Clippers' performance the last few weeks is straight embarassing for them.

• Argh. What was that Avery? The Mavs started the 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 players in their rotation. I'm sure tomorrow there will be discussion in the media due to the Clippers situation. The Clips had to play a full Mavs squad just last week, the Warriors get Barea and Ager.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    you sound scared!

of facing the dubs in the first round!

seriously though im surprised the suns played there starters the way they did against the clippers tonight.

if the warriors win in portland tommorrow it doesnt matter what the clippers do w/ the hornets.

shits getting tense! this is the first warrior season in 12 years theyve gone .500!!! whoo hoo for progress like a mother!

btw that dude barea looks like he should be a boxer instead of a baller.

Argh. What was that Avery? The Mavs started the 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 players in their rotation. I'm sure tomorrow there will be discussion in the media due to the Clippers situation. The Clips had to play a full Mavs squad just last week, the Warriors get Barea and Ager.

As explained by one local sportscaster.....

They don't want to go out with a full squad and lose and give the Warriors a lot of self confidence going into the playoffs.

It's much better to lose by 30 with your B squad and give the Warriors a lot of self confidence going into the playoffs!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Argh. What was that Avery? The Mavs started the 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12 players in their rotation. I'm sure tomorrow there will be discussion in the media due to the Clippers situation. The Clips had to play a full Mavs squad just last week, the Warriors get Barea and Ager.

They don't want to go out with a full squad and lose and give the Warriors a lot of self confidence going into the playoffs.

It's much better to lose by 30 with your B squad and give the Warriors a lot of self confidence going into the playoffs!

lame. it would be best to demolish the warriors like the mavs know they can and boost their own confidence in booting them (or the other 8th seed) out of the first round in 4 games.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Pretty . I've never heard of any Championship-caliber squad being blown out by 30 at season-end like the Mavs have. I don't think it's a good idea by any means.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I need to get NBA league pass. I had to deal with ESPN2 flashing to the games every 15 minutes or so.

Had a good chuckle when I checked the scores this morning though.

• Let me be clear. I don't like what Avery did because of the integrity of the league. It's a valid question: why not rest your dudes against Seattle in a game that means nothing to nobody instead of getting involved w/ this playoff seeding and stuff.

I put no stock whatsoever in the need for a team with 66 wins needing to make a regular season "statement" in game #80. That's ridiculous.

Tonight will be interesting. Warriors still have business to take care of. Lakers do to. Clippers ain't out. Let's see where the dust settles.

• you sound scared!

of facing the dubs in the first round!

Naw, I just anticipated much whinage from Clipper-land. Avery's strategy could be interepreted as him *wanting* the Warriors in round one.

Me? I just think he had a plan about how he wanted to play/rest his rotation and he was gonna stick to it regardless.

A 66-14 bench team should at least hang with the #8 seed. 66-14 is one the best records in NBA history and they didn't have enough pride to avoid being swept by the old coach going into a playoff series.

Same ole Mavs.....pussies......Oh well ..if you do make it to the Finals ..Detroit is going to kill you.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    so when do the playoffs start?

• A 66-14 bench team should at least hang with the #8 seed. 66-14 is one the best records in NBA history and they didn't have enough pride to avoid being swept by the old coach going into a playoff series.

Same ole Mavs.....pussies......Oh well ..if you do make it to the Finals ..Detroit is going to kill you.

You funny mang. Calling a team "pussies" for it's performance in game 80.

Bring it on the $$$ tip, Big Dog. Last night's game isn't going to matter come Sunday and I don't see what affect it would have on future playoff jammies. You're being straight silly here.

I mean really Ed. We're talking JJ Barea and Mo Ager. Guys that probably won't even sniff the floor in the playoffs.

I don't see us losing to Detroit, should it go down like that.

• PLEASE, ED. TELL US MORE ABOUT THE NUGGETS. THEY'RE COMIN OUT OF THE WEST, NO QUESTION, RIGHT?

WE CAN MAKE $$$$ BETS ON ANY MAVS-RELATED PLAYOFF SERIES THAT YOU FEEL LIKE UNTUCKIN YR JUNK AND DEALIN' WIT. YA HEARD?