NBA Strut - Brawling in the Garden...!

butterybiscuitsbutterybiscuits 300 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
anybody catch this rumble...?!?as if it wasn't bad enuff the knicks were getting punished at home...this thing got real real ugly quick, including melo delivering a fist to the face. trying to find some clips to post...can watch here for now:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=261216018

Comments

• anybody catch this rumble...?!?

as if it wasn't bad enuff the knicks were getting punished at home...
    this thing got real real ugly quick, including melo delivering a fist to the face.

trying to find some clips to post...

can watch here for now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=261216018

haha, everything about the knicks is melo laid out that little bitch collins and nate robinson has a napoleon complex. they arn't used to losing yet?!?!?

• true. nate has definitely got issues,
    but melo kinda can ran like a punk after that hook?

looked like jj was trying to give it to 'em

we'll see how the NBA treats it's leading scorer...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    NBA's got serious image problems... it's two leading scorers are:
    1. suspended for a fight in THE GARDEN
    and
    2. cooling his heels in his suburban Philly mansion because his team doesn't even want him to show up for work...

soulstrut massive: how would you manage this?

• eetzeetz 53 Posts

but melo kinda can ran like a punk after that hook?

punch and run, punch and run!

It got pushed into the seats, the NBA is gonna hit these guys hard. I'm looking forward to hearing Melo's response to his fines and suspension.

in defence of the knicks, denver didn't need those guys out there.....

• in defence of the knicks, denver didn't need those guys out there.....

boo-fucking-hoo, if it bothers them so bad they should play better.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    fuck it, thats old school, i give the knicks a thumbs up on this. down 20 at home with 1 minute left and the other team has starters in throwing alley oops and shit? f*ck it. show em whose arena they are in.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    show em whose arena they are in.

A: from their record (4-10) at the Garden, whoever's playing the Knicks.

• thropethrope 750 Posts

WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE

• A: from their record (4-10) at the Garden, whoever's playing the Knicks.

the truth hurts.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    soulstrut massive: how would you manage this?

Me? I'd suspend Melo for 25 games without pay to make an example of his ass. Shit, if the league's leading scorer and one of its biggest names gets 25 games, you think some punk-ass peon as gonna start throwing hands? You think superstars are gonna keep thinking they're above the rules? Fuck that. Punch a dude in the face, 25 games, no play, no pay. Deal with it.

But then again, immediately after suspending Melo for 25 games, 20 million people with torches and pitchforks would come murder me and put my head on a pike, so....

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    this is so weak, the nba is going down the drain, i loved the game too, i was waiting for the polizia to show up.

freshman, Ali, & 1986 whatelse to do you want?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    unless you have a 'mandatory year long suspension' for getting into a fight, i really doubt if the shit is going down bodies are flying everywhere and shit, a player would think "hmmm i should hold hands with my enemies and sing a song, i dont want to get in trouble". that last sentence is a little rambly and drunk, but what im saying is, SHIT HAPPENS, testosteroned up men playing a fast paced sport will get into a fight once in a while, this "suspend em for 504958409854 games, set an example!!!!" shit is just kind of pointless.

• show em whose arena they are in.

A: from their record (4-10) at the Garden, whoever's playing the Knicks.

other than that, they should suspend carmelo for running like a little bitch after throwing a punch. if you're going to start throwing shit, sit there like a man and stop back pedaling.

that's what the mighty buckshot calls half-steppin.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Collins didnt need to flagrant foul in that situation.....

Melo seriously jeprodized his MVP standing. And he might not even make it to the All Star game. Mo fucka was on his way to surpassing Kobe/Lebron/Wade in popularity and he goes and does this shit. In the heat of battle anything is possible and this is nothin compared to the MALICE @ THE PALACE. It was player vs player, so dont go wishin these cats should get handed the same punishment. And you mo fuckas who think the NBA is "going down the drain" can go listen to A Tribe Called Quest, cause you most likely werent watching B-Ball this season.
    I dont see any names here in the NBA threads.......

Nate Robinson punked out as well. Y'all should have seen the faces of Clyde and the other cat......... Dudes knew this was gonna be big especially it being in NYC the largest media thang on the planet despite the Knicks record.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    in a jim jones voice:

BRAWWWLINNN'!!!

• Nate Robinson punked out as well. Y'all should have seen the faces of Clyde and the other cat......... Dudes knew this was gonna be big especially it being in NYC the largest media thang on the planet despite the Knicks record.

yep this will definitely blow up the back covers!

i'm a guess nate robinson is gonna get the heftiest slap...the flagrant was ruff, but nate took it to the unneccesary

carmelo next in line. and bat, you right, melo's image just got kicked to the curb.

unless you have a 'mandatory year long suspension' for getting into a fight, i really doubt if the shit is going down bodies are flying everywhere and shit, a player would think "hmmm i should hold hands with my enemies and sing a song, i dont want to get in trouble". that last sentence is a little rambly and drunk, but what im saying is, SHIT HAPPENS, testosteroned up men playing a fast paced sport will get into a fight once in a while, this "suspend em for 504958409854 games, set an example!!!!" shit is just kind of pointless.

• remind me why this results in suspensions, fines, etc in basketball but in hockey you might have to sit in the box for 2 min. very strange.

• remind me why this results in suspensions, fines, etc in basketball but in hockey you might have to sit in the box for 2 min. very strange.

Paging GB DIGGS..........do y'all want The Answer now?

remind me why this results in suspensions, fines, etc in basketball but in hockey/BASEBALL/FOOTBALL/ you might have to sit in the box for 2 min. very strange.

5 PAGER?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    remind me why this results in suspensions, fines, etc in basketball but in hockey you might have to sit in the box for 2 min. very strange.
    Why isn't tennis more like boxing?

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    remind me why this results in suspensions, fines, etc in basketball but in hockey you might have to sit in the box for 2 min. very strange.

Some clarification: five minutes for a fight. An extra two minutes if you started the fight. Ten minutes and/or game misconduct if you go ape shit during/after the fight or mouth off.

In hockey, fighting is the custom of settling beefs on the ice or is used to perk up your team/fans. Unfortunately, there is no such similar mechanism in basketball, as there is no real "physical" play in that game. Basketball, along with baseball, is associated as of the the more gentlemanly of sports, similar to cricket and croquet.

• i was at the garden last night, and as a lifelong knicks fan this has to be a low point.

In hockey, fighting is the custom of settling beefs on the ice or is used to perk up your team/fans. Unfortunately, there is no such similar mechanism in basketball, as there is no real "physical" play in that game. Basketball, along with baseball, is associated as of the the more gentlemanly of sports, similar to cricket and croquet.

Baseball,Cricket,Golf,Croquet.............grass/patorial.

there is no real "physical" play

I'm not going waste my time trying to prove Basketball is physical.

• Collins didnt need to flagrant foul in that situation.....

Melo seriously jeprodized his MVP standing. And he might not even make it to the All Star game. Mo fucka was on his way to surpassing Kobe/Lebron/Wade in popularity and he goes and does this shit. In the heat of battle anything is possible and this is nothin compared to the MALICE @ THE PALACE. It was player vs player, so dont go wishin these cats should get handed the same punishment. And you mo fuckas who think the NBA is "going down the drain" can go listen to A Tribe Called Quest, cause you most likely werent watching B-Ball this season.
    I dont see any names here in the NBA threads.......

Nate Robinson punked out as well. Y'all should have seen the faces of Clyde and the other cat......... Dudes knew this was gonna be big especially it being in NYC the largest media thang on the planet despite the Knicks record.

i still can't believe melo did that shit, especially this year.

• I stopped reading this thread when I got to the ridiculous responses like "suspend melo for 25 games with no pay!" and other such bullshit. However, I wanted to offer my take since I watched the whole incident live and it was DVR'ed so I rewinded and played back the brawl several times in slow motion to see what all went down.

First of all, Collins is at fault, period. He's a bitch ass sore loser and he was because the Nuggets were serving his team (and might I add new york got a lot of no calls on fouls throughout the game). Collins deserves the most of the punishment. Next is little bitch ass Nate Robinson who I had a lot of respect for until last night. If you play back shit slow and watch what happens, Robinson throws the first punch and the first shove. All Smith did was get up off the court after being hacked and got up in Collins' face. He didn't raise a hand or anything, Robinson runs in and throws a punch at Smith and tries to push him to the ground, that's when it goes off. Melo wasn't gonna let his boy get caught out there like that so he went and knocked Collins' little bitch ass to the floor while Smith goes to talk shit with Robinson. After Melo socked Collins, Collins got up off the court and ran after him. You guys call Melo a bitch and say it was a punch and run, but if you watch closely, he was just getting out in the open, his dukes were up when Collins came running, he was ready to go. So, as far as the Melo is a bitch talk, you're playing yourself.

And so this was probably the worst thing that's happened since the Artest incident, but I don't really think this was as bad. This LOOKED worse, but Artest's incident involved fans, this only really involved players, and only about 5 of them. Collins, Robinson, Melo, Smith, and I think #7 on the knicks, only 2 punches were thrown, and nobody really got hurt (except Collins' ego and nose, and maybe Carmelo's hand).

As far as whether it was right on Melo's behalf, probably not. But no matter who you are and how rich you are and how good you are at ball, you're still gonna stand up for yours if you're a real mufucker, and that's what he did. Smith is Melo's boy these days, which you guys might not see if you just see them playing every once in a while. Altitude sports talks about them a lot so I know they kick it and have become close (no homo). If you were out on the court and saw your boy done wrong like that, you might go off too. I'm not excusing his actions, just trying to shed some light on why he took it there.

That said, of course he will get a suspension and a fine, but 25 games would be a little bit much, and on top of that, whatever Melo gets, Collins and Robinson should get the same if not more. Smith shouldn't get anything but he will cuz he tackled Robinson after Robinson swung at him and shoved him. What will be will be, it's not gonna be pretty, but it happened.

and to Batmon: I just wonder if/how this affects our prospects of acquiring Iverson! I am at least glad to see that players still got heart and can get gully when they need to. I ain't mad at Carmelo, but he is gonna get a punishment for that one... I honestly respect him more for standing up for his team/boys. I'm sure many will disagree, but fuck it.

But yo BATMON you said some of the realest shit in the thread here:

"And you mo fuckas who think the NBA is "going down the drain" can go listen to A Tribe Called Quest, cause you most likely werent watching B-Ball this season."

If anything I think this incident shows how fired up NBA players are right now. Last season was a great season and this season could be even better. Heads are sleepin' if they think the game ain't on fire!

• on your interpretation of 'Melo's sucker punch and run. Collins and Robinson are most definitely at fault here but why the hell did George Karl still have 4 of 5 starters in a blowout game with a minute left? No reason Anthony should have even been in that game. I hope Denver management talks to Karl about that.

• I also want to comment on Coach Thomas as well. Man I really used to love the guy when he was a player, I wish he had just left his career at that. Why is he walking up to another team's players on the court and telling them they shouldn't be in the game anymore? What the fuck is that nonsense? Maybe they want to play Melo late in a game like this to keep his scoring average up? Thomas claims that we deliberately left our starters in at the end of the game to rub the victory in their face. You wanna talk about childish... He was basically saying that he thought it was Denver's fault for starting this, like we antagonized. We were playing basketball, I don't know what the fuck the knicks were doing! And he says that Collins "grabbed" Smith and acted like it was MAYBE a flagrant 1. Watch the playback little homie, Collins all but 2-fisted Smith. He came down so hard on him with that foul that you could hear the slap/thud of Collins' arms on Smith's neck/chest in the microphones. That was one of the worst flagrants I've seen since Kobe/Bell last year (the clothesline joint).

• on your interpretation of 'Melo's sucker punch and run. Collins and Robinson are most definitely at fault here but why the hell did George Karl still have 4 of 5 starters in a blowout game with a minute left? No reason Anthony should have even been in that game. I hope Denver management talks to Karl about that.

hey go watch the replay of it if you don't believe me, he was squared up waiting for him while he was running at him. Granted he wasn't trying to keep the fight going, but if Collins didn't stop coming at him he was ready to handle it. And a sucker punch is when you don't see it coming, watch it again. Collins and Melo are looking at each other and talking to each other, Collins trying to talk shit and slide off toward the bench, Melo, still watching him, cuts through some folks to meet him face to face, then punches him. It wasn't a sucker punch.