the clipse lp is that PFFFFF!

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Can someone up Lord Willin'?

• Oliver - I can't see how this WON'T be album of the year... what exactly would trump it at this point?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Oliver - I can't see how this WON'T be album of the year... what exactly would trump it at this point?
    Yeah, man, what else is going to trump it get as much advance internerd hype at this point?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    IMG SRC="http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1281/trae00restless2006frontbb5.jpg" WIDTH=500>
    http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/Large/37/915937.jpg" alt="" />

• Oliver - I can't see how this WON'T be album of the year... what exactly would trump it at this point?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Not hatting, but it's no WGIFC V. 1 or 2. That's all I can say at this point.

Thanks for posting!

No legit release is likely going to trump WGIFC V.2. Alas.

I didn't have that great of an expectation. But, those tapes have a lot more body than what's on here, I think.

It kinda feels like half the album is missing.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I haven't heard this Clipse yet and will prob have to wait til release date, but right now I Pledge Allegiance to the Grind is on top, with Trae up there, and Yo Gotti, never mind a little album called KING. tho man...Boosie was disappointing! But really I have never understood how the Clipse have managed to benefit off that mixtape vs. any random pair of reasonably talented rappers from across the country aside from the whole Neptunes association??? And I LIKE the Clipse. Definitely looking forward to that Project Pat though, single is hot.

• Too many sparse beats, doesn't feel as full and varied as Lord Willin' or even the mixtapes, it's like someone forgot to put basslines on half of the beats...
    Clipse have an excessive amount of dickriders on here who would listen to Pusha burping over a the sound of an accordion falling down a flight of stairs and say it's that next shit...
    If someone was saying the same shit about someone with less credibility in this community (i.e anyone relatively "backpack) they'd be called out and dissed hard i would imagine...

Saying that, the album is pretty enjoyable and the stand out tracks are nuts, but calling it album of the year is either premature or indicative of a not particularly amazing year for hip hop...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well that's exactly what I like about it, the interesting production. Quite a few tracks are missing the standard elements of hiphop production, I quite enjoy that. Whereas you're looking for that bassline that you exepct to be there.....

wamp wamp is a good example.

also, comparing mixtapes to album, why do you folks even bother? I've just come to accept it, they're two totally different formats.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Too many sparse beats, doesn't feel as full and varied as Lord Willin' or even the mixtapes, it's like someone forgot to put basslines on half of the beats...
    Clipse have an excessive amount of dickriders on here who would listen to Pusha burping over a the sound of an accordion falling down a flight of stairs and say it's that next shit...
    If someone was saying the same shit about someone with less credibility in this community (i.e anyone relatively "backpack) they'd be called out and dissed hard i would imagine...

Saying that, the album is pretty enjoyable and the stand out tracks are nuts, but calling it album of the year is either premature or indicative of a not particularly amazing year for hip hop...

You should have just posted the last paragraph. You sound a little too mad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    killer mike tape would be on top if shit was one cd
    king seriously has too much filler
    restless is probably going to be my favorite followed up by the clipse and project pat if shit even comes out this year

even though we got it 4 cheap 1 and 2 were both molten lava, i dont really see how the clipse still have a big buzz behind them considering their last album was released five years ago and all the singles haven't really caught on

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah and seriously a lot of the production on here is just some "what the fuck is this shit?" shit. in a good way that is

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't get the filler thing on King, I guess I'm not really behind "Good Life" and the jamie foxx song but other than that its pretty much straight killer on a v. long album so I have trouble complaining.

cross post with brian - That is my confusion about this album, why isn't everyone (on the internet) going apeshit over the new project pat? Its got a hot lead-in single, he's got a proven track record (and a longer one than the Clipse) and by all reasonable accounts everyone should check for it. I don't see whats sustained clipse buzz.

Other than this, of course:

• You should have just posted the last paragraph. You sound a little too mad.

Nah, i'm not mad at all, i'm a real big fan of them, it's hard to convey tone on a message board... just saying...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Oliver - I can't see how this WON'T be album of the year... what exactly would trump it at this point?
    At the very least, I think people like Nas, Jeezy and Ghost might want to have a chance to get leaked too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ok, maybe not filler but theres at least three or four tracks i skip on the ti album. that said, the standout tracks pretty much shit all over anything else anyone put out this year.

the project pat album is not getting any buzz because it has not been promoted well, the first single dropped at least six months ago and this current single is a street single so it wont get any radio or club play. it already has been pushed back several times too. if anyone has listened to the album sampler, paul and juicy all be talking about how shit is dropping in july and august.

edit: yeah, based on that gangsta grillz, jeezy can easily come out with another classic. i love ghost and all but im not expecting much and i dont even why people are even thinking about nas

• Let's all take a deep breath, give the album a week to marinate (esp. since it doens't drop until 11/28) and then revisit this "album of the year" talk. I love the Clipse too but jesus, people have sat with this for all of, what? 3 hours?

i said "album of the year material" not album of the year. There's only 3 songs on here that i hadn't already heard so it's been a gradual decision on my part for deeming it my own personal favorite. it's just odd that to me that people could only feel 3 tracks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Project Pat is getting radio play around here, actually, but I'm more wondering why people on soulstrut are so buzzed about the Clipse but not Project Pat. I mean its not like the Clipse are getting much radio play either.

Re: Jeezy, after "Can't Ban the Snowman" I was ready to give up on the dude but the lead single is straight fire, havent heard the gangsta grillz yet.

• I think the Clipse are incredible rappers - I like Project Pat too but come on now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think the Clipse are incredible rappers

I feel this way about Lord Willin, but they kind of deflated on those mixtapes everyone loves to a mechanical jokey punchline thing that is technically accomplished and initially interesting but seems almost too clinical, removed and one-dimensional compared to Lord Willin. It doesn't help that so much of the talk about those mixtapes was some self-congratulatory "those witty rappers" tip. I mean Jeezy got the same style of reviews but I guess the difference there was that with his rapping, he seemed to have something to lose, his behavior risky and edgy. Clipse's cocky coolness is appealing like Bukowski stories, but that attitude has a similar remove from reality as Bukowski's who-gives-a-fuck alcoholics. To me despite Jeezy's cockiness, he always seems on the verge of reality biting back.

I should stop talking til I hear this new shit though. Just trying to explain my cynicism.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    project pat is easily a much better rapper than pusha t or malice

• I mean I couldn't really be bothered to keep up with what this or that online scribe thinks about a rap record. I can't really take that schitt yall write seriously.

I like them dudes though. At this point I am so disgusted with most rap records that I really appreciate when rapperdudes put time into their schitt.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    getting your album pushed back three years doesn't mean you put time into your shit

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I mean I couldn't really be bothered to keep up with what this or that online scribe thinks about a rap record. I can't really take that schitt yall write seriously.

I like them dudes though. At this point I am so disgusted with most rap records that I really appreciate when rapperdudes put time into their schitt.
    I feel you on the 'who cares what critics say' thing really! I tend to avoid reading other people's reviews aside from a select few who actually have interesting things to say/insights into the music, or purely historical information that I'm curious about. Clipse buzz didn't seem so avoidable though, i kind of wish i avoided it like you do.

I think the difference is that i like lots of new rap, basically. I know this is like some running joke about me liking EVERYTHING but really, I like new rap and the rap I grew up with which is prob a little later than the rap you grew up with.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    While I"m still resisting this "album of the year" urge, what exactly is wrong with a bunch of rappers who are 1) clever, 2) fun to listen to and 3) armed with good beats?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    zomg they rap about crack so they cant be good rappers

• Sorta sounds like Little Brother. I like it!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    While I"m still resisting this "album of the year" urge, what exactly is wrong with a bunch of rappers who are 1) clever, 2) fun to listen to and 3) armed with good beats?
    I donno if this is directed at me, but as is my style i'll answer anyway.
    Nothing is 'wrong' w/ it, I'm just trying to explain why (at least for the mixtapes everybody loved) it didn't hit me hard enough to be on some 'best of the year' shit.

• king seriously has too much filler

i found it actually IS the album of the year, you just have to delete 6 songs off your playlist.

As far as this Clipse album, I think people should just listen to the album for what it is, not based off of their mixtapes or other albums or guest spots or internet reviews or any of that. Just let it settle in, like ODub said. Shit, let it come out! Haha.

And by the way, I too find the production to be refreshing in parts, I like the absence of requisite hip hop formatting. They flip some would-be-shitty sounds and make them sound tight. I'm only disappointed that it isn't a little longer with more songs I haven't heard on either mixtapes, singles, or the sampler.

By the way, you never know, this might not even be the real album... There was a whole Game "album" floating around a month ago that wasn't DA...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't get the filler thing on King, I guess I'm not really behind "Good Life" and the jamie foxx song but other than that its pretty much straight killer on a v. long album so I have trouble complaining.

So you ride for "Standup Guy"? Why am I not even surprised?