edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
let's get this started batches...
john gordon-step by step
ceasar frazier-self titled on westbound
elis regina-elis (1973)
elis regina-(1974)
jon lucien-rashida
curtis mayfield-short eyes
sbb-self titled on supraphon (polish science)
can-future days
marianna wroblewska-feelings (polish jazz)
stanislaw sojka-blublula (polish jazz) w/ ill version of i've known rivers
kool and the gang-sex machine
soul children-friction
daly-wilson big band-featuring marcia hines

ivan lins-nos dias de hojerichard beirach-eonkontrast-kontrast (sick german private press ish)- have a line on 10 more copies direct from artist if anyone is interested pm me...alan moorehouse-bond street brigade (doo doo on a stick)

Comments

• In Australia on a family vacation. Off to Tasmania for the weekend tomorrow (love saying that). Done some digging here in Adelaide at the op shops and a few record stores. Besides Kamahl records (in Andy Williams like numbers down here) i've found a gazillion moog LP's (Electric Hair, Abba in Moog, etc), a Daly-Wilson LP, some amazing cheesecake covers (Oz matches Brazil in that regard) and a cool Dennis Tek 7". Will post the whole lot when I finish.
    Back to me holiday....

• Kamahl haunts all Ozzie diggers. The op shops are generally pretty picked through but always ask if they have any lps out the back. I found these at a local OP shop for a $1 yesterday

Wendy Bonnie lp Goes for US$1oo plus according to popsike

Also picked up (from various locations)
    Rock Mass for Love lp-Bakery (Oz semirare prog/psych)
    Flying Circus-bonza beaut nd boom boom lp Oz rare prog psych
    Mackenzie theory-out of the blue (OZ prog Rare)

La de las- Rock n roll circus lp (rare oz rock wicked break on it -Renee geyer doing back up vocals

Harold budd Brian eno- The Pearl and Pavilion of dreams lps

Tom Brock-I love you more and more lp
    Art ensemble of chicago with fontella Bass lp
    Elliot Randall-randalls Island lp (psych guitar)
    Ben Sidran-Dont let go lp
    B baker choclate company-ST
    Rockets-On the road again lp(french late 70s space disco sounds at times like Daft punk)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Wendy Bonnie lp Goes for US$1oo plus according to popsike

Plus, it's absurdly good. And, the subject of the thread "when hard macho dudes sweat soft girlie music". Madd cross-over appeal.

• Wendy Bonnie lp Goes for US$1oo plus according to popsike

Plus, it's absurdly good. And, the subject of the thread "when hard macho dudes sweat soft girlie music". Madd cross-over appeal.
    Yes its definately a keeper and I bought it without knowing anything about it just saw that Larry carlton was playing guitar and jim keltner drums on it

• more findz..

ian carr's nucleus-in flagrent delicto
    pharoah sanders-viallage of pharoahs

• Adventures of Slick Rick LP
    Spoonie G -- Love Rap 12"
    Black Sheep -- CIY 12"
    Eric B. -- Got soul 12"
    Mr. Magic - Mgics message 12"
    treachorous 3 -- at the party 12"
    Fearless Four -- Someting new
    chubb rock -- the one 12"
    catch the beat
    mc shan -- down by law 12"
    Grap -- its a demo 12"
    Just Ice -- back to the old school
    Souls -- 93 till 12"
    the lovemakers -- Sex 12"
    UTFO -- Roxanne 12"
    Planet Patrol
    Super Disco Brakes 1 & 2
    Scenario 12"
    T la Rock -- Its Yours 12"
    Trouble Funk
    Looking for the perfect beat
    fearless 4 -- rockin it
    PM Dawn
    Blowfly -- Blowfly's rapp
    RunDMC
    DeLa -- breakadawn

Turns out there's a very old school dj down the street. Had to talk him up to 1 dollar a piece. Goin back later...teehee

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

each for 1, or 2,50

• $12 at the store this afternoon

K&TG - Live at PJs LP (De-Lite)
    Clouds - Watercolour Days LP (Deram)
    Some blank whitelabel moody breaks 12"

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    I just got the MASQUERADERS for a dollar today as well.

also:

$4

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    which reminds me...

Why don't many people post how much they paid for their findings? isn't part of digging trying to get it as cheap as possible (at least in my book it is).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think people (myself included) will brag when they
    find great & valuable records for ridiculously cheap,
    ie "I GOT MESSAGE FROM THE TRIBE AT GOODWILL" but people
    (myself included) will also throw up some record pron
    that we paid market value for on eBay and most people
    aren't all that keen on saying "I GOT THE TOMMIE YOUNG
    ON EBAY FOR $102" or even when I buy a record at a local
    spot for a normal price, I'm not all that likely to tell
    everyone I paid $30 for that $30 psych record...

isn't part of digging trying to get it as cheap as possible (at least in my book it is).

Would this be an "element of digging"? If so, what number? ...for those of us filling out our score cards at home....

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    for me, for one, I've only been digging for about 2 years, so honestly I can't tell what a record's market value is. Therefore I usually only spend about $5 at the most for a record I've found...only because I'd don't want to risk going any higher for an lp that isn't worth that much.

by the way, how do you know the market value when digging; i'm sure there are numerous factors involved, but... any hints? tips?

for me, for one, I've only been digging for about 2 years, so honestly I can't tell what a record's market value is. Therefore I usually only spend about $5 at the most for a record I've found...only because I'd don't want to risk going any higher for an lp that isn't worth that much.

by the way, how do you know the market value when digging; i'm sure there are numerous factors involved, but... any hints? tips?

just buy records with black people on the covers.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    ive been doing just that.

got Maiden voyage (in nice cond.) for $1 this week. soooo

• chasechase 767 Posts

afro are also a plus

• for me, for one, I've only been digging for about 2 years, so honestly I can't tell what a record's market value is. Therefore I usually only spend about $5 at the most for a record I've found...only because I'd don't want to risk going any higher for an lp that isn't worth that much.

afro are also a plus

Also, the wider the collars being worn on the cover, the better.

West 63rd?
    New York, New York?
    New York, USA?
    Division of Liberty white?
    Division of Liberty black?
    Division of Liberty blue?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

West 63rd?
    New York, New York?
    New York, USA?
    Division of Liberty white?
    Division of Liberty black?
    Division of Liberty blue?

...or Ramsey Lewis?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    which reminds me...

Why don't many people post how much they paid for their findings? isn't part of digging trying to get it as cheap as possible (at least in my book it is).

no.. this is an element of inverted dick-size measuring, as in less is better,

according to my calculations, some of the best diggers on this board have only spent $24.95 total on all the records they have ever bought.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    which reminds me...

no.. this is an element of inverted dick-size measuring, as in less is better,

according to my calculations, some of the best diggers on this board have only spent $24.95 total on all the records they have ever bought.

they over paid

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    dick-size measuring

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dick-size measuring

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Hmmm...I checked bsnpubs.com for info: "The next Atlantic label was very similar to the "white fan" label described above, except that the fan to the right of the center hole was black in a white box, and a small "ATLANTIC" is inserted at a 90-degree angle between the large "A" and the fan. We call this the "black fan Atlantic label." Monaural records were red on the top and purple on the bottom with black printing. Stereo records had the same graphics with the top of the label being green and the bottom of the label being blue. The promotional issues are white with black printing with the same graphics. This label was used from 1379 to approximately 1463."

So mine is a mono first press. Can I get a ?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Buffy Sainte Marie-Illuminations
    SRC-Travelers tale
    George Baker-little green bag
    Mike Mainieri-Journey through an electric tube
    Joni Mitchell-s/t
    Lloyd Price-To the roots and back(can i get a )

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    continuing tha measuring of sticks

b/w

what? did I overpaid son? (rael prices revealed)

last weekend's notables (copped tons more unpictured schwag but these are the possible keepers, peepers)

lizz mercier - $3
    lakim - less than a $1
    the game is thick (raer bay rap) - $2
    lou bond - (word to Dstill808 on the trade tip) $20 in trade (decent price for play condition, some light noise) (2 Neu! reissues and a The Clash s/t)

matrix
    family
    terry brooks
    earth opera
    aum
    bubble puppy
    = $5 each from my man Ake! Solid deal, for sure.

junior parker - $2
    john lee hooker - $2
    champion jack - $3
    robert lockwood - $5
    michael rabon - $5
    otis spann $5

kool and gang - $5
    bobby brown - $2
    look beyond - $3 (private xian, folky rock?)
    odetta - $5
    nashville teens - $2
    brian dorr - $2

dammit, Ravens gonna took it from the Chargers, bah
    fukin McNair.

Hmmm...I checked bsnpubs.com for info: "The next Atlantic label was very similar to the "white fan" label described above, except that the fan to the right of the center hole was black in a white box, and a small "ATLANTIC" is inserted at a 90-degree angle between the large "A" and the fan. We call this the "black fan Atlantic label." Monaural records were red on the top and purple on the bottom with black printing. Stereo records had the same graphics with the top of the label being green and the bottom of the label being blue. The promotional issues are white with black printing with the same graphics. This label was used from 1379 to approximately 1463."

So mine is a mono first press. Can I get a ?

those two-tone labels are mid 60's. in the late 50's and very early 60's (that mingus is like '57 or something, right?) the labels looked like this one...

so does "your man" know you are paying him very little of these records' "market value"?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

so does "your man" know you are paying him very little of these records' "market value"?

Don't get it twisted, Crink.

The only records I "paid very little" for from Ake were the LPs in the psych/rock picture at $5 a piece and a few other other $5 records.

Most of the other records pictured are from a variety of buys, thrifts, dealers, collections, trades.

Ake had a blowout last weekend at $5 a piece. I paid, foll. I dropped a Benjamin Franklin on him for 27 records, he is my bro. Dude is making 3 x $$$ off reselling tshirts now instead of just doing records.

Ake is my homie
    aka don't test, Crinky.