Weekend Finds

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm just saying... a true friend would advise someone of the true worth of their vinyl collectables, no? Hence, I do not become friendly with the individuals I purches records from. The guilt would consume me...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm just saying... a true friend would advise someone of the true worth of their vinyl collectables, no? Hence, I do not become friendly with the individuals I purches records from. The guilt would consume me...

Ake is my dude, we have both been hitting the same spots for years. He's more of a rock dude, so he passes me stuff that he thinks I might like, or I holler when I see something good he copped for $1.

I have paid him well for private ish and other "raers" ($25 on a Rim Arrives (!!!), $15 on a Zeitlin, $30 on a private "One Way" outstanding one tracker jazz/rock/terd lp).

I routinely drop loot with him for LPs, and to my estimation the only LP I got at a "great" bargain would be the Bubble Puppy and the five americans LP. These are LPs he has bought at $1 so he is not stressing, nor am I.

• God, dropping "a ben franklin" is not exactly lacing your mans.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Hmmm...I checked bsnpubs.com for info: "The next Atlantic label was very similar to the "white fan" label described above, except that the fan to the right of the center hole was black in a white box, and a small "ATLANTIC" is inserted at a 90-degree angle between the large "A" and the fan. We call this the "black fan Atlantic label." Monaural records were red on the top and purple on the bottom with black printing. Stereo records had the same graphics with the top of the label being green and the bottom of the label being blue. The promotional issues are white with black printing with the same graphics. This label was used from 1379 to approximately 1463."

So mine is a mono first press. Can I get a ?

those two-tone labels are mid 60's. in the late 50's and very early 60's (that mingus is like '57 or something, right?) the labels looked like this one...

Two sessions, one from 1957, the other from 1961. But apparently released for the first time on this LP.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Well, that MATRIX album is a terd, and $5 is overpaying, so
    it should all even out.

I am curious about the 5 Americans LP, though - the only one of theirs
    I haven't found or heard yet.

Nice score on the Ambassadors, J. I would have traded heavy for a nice copy of that.

I didn't buy any records this weekend.

and Tonight at Noon first press was 1965, so
    that could/should be at least an early if not first press.

• I'm just saying... a true friend would advise someone of the true worth of their vinyl collectables, no?

Maybe. But if I sold a record to my friend for $5 only to find out it was worth $100 a few days later, no way would I cry that he "ripped me off." Talk about ultimate little dude moves.

Hence, I do not become friendly with the individuals I purches records from.

GULLY

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Well, that MATRIX album is a terd, and $5 is overpaying, so
    it should all even out.

I was gonna say...

Hmmm...I checked bsnpubs.com for info: "The next Atlantic label was very similar to the "white fan" label described above, except that the fan to the right of the center hole was black in a white box, and a small "ATLANTIC" is inserted at a 90-degree angle between the large "A" and the fan. We call this the "black fan Atlantic label." Monaural records were red on the top and purple on the bottom with black printing. Stereo records had the same graphics with the top of the label being green and the bottom of the label being blue. The promotional issues are white with black printing with the same graphics. This label was used from 1379 to approximately 1463."

So mine is a mono first press. Can I get a ?

those two-tone labels are mid 60's. in the late 50's and very early 60's (that mingus is like '57 or something, right?) the labels looked like this one...

Two sessions, one from 1957, the other from 1961. But apparently released for the first time on this LP.
    ahhh... my bad... for some reason I was thinking this one was like "the Clown"era...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the "white fan"

God, dropping "a ben franklin" is not exactly lacing your mans.

God, you are so right.

Maybe. But if I sold a record to my friend for $5 only to find out it was worth $100 a few days later, no way would I cry that he "ripped me off." Talk about ultimate little dude moves.

Nor would I. I just found it amusing that Mork gives a shout out to his dude who he criminally underpaid for his "finds". I never say "Word to that guy who lives in his van who I just copped Quintessence from for $2!". And when I do buy my friends' records I always pay them high end. Or, if I'm going to sell it, I'll tell them that I'll pay half what I can get for it. After all, they are my friends.

Nor would I. I just found it amusing that Mork gives a shout out to his dude who he criminally underpaid for his "finds". I never say "Word to that guy who lives in his van who I just copped Quintessence from for $2!". And when I do buy my friends records I always pay them high end. Or, if I'm going to sell it, I'll tell them that I'll pay half what I can get for it. After all, they are my friends.

Crink,

I'm so glad I can keep you amused. He wanted to purge a ton of stuff and I bought a bunch. How is this criminally overpaying? I was one of two people that day who were willing to drop more than a few bones per record. He made $$$ on T-shirts he had bought and brought to the swap to resell, 5 times as much, actually. Go figure.

I will make a note to cut him a portion of my profits from the sales of my estates when I pass since I grossly underpaid him on a few things and overpaid on terds like "Matrix".

Note to self: never post finds and or prices evar again. Sheesh.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    at the flea for $1:

Kool and the Gang - Live at the Sex Machine
    Baby Huey - Living Legend
    Candido - Beautiful (does this matter w/ blue/white label?)
    Funk Inc - Chicken Lickin
    Parlet - Pleasure Principle
    Idris Muhammad - Power of Soul (black jacket)
    Shirley Scott - Soul is Willing (yellow/black, NJ)
    roy ayers - Vibrations
    Miles davis - Musings of Miles (yellow/black, NJ)
    dexter Wansel - Life on Mars
    Funkadelic - s/t
    Fuzzy Haskins - Whole Nother Thang
    Music Minus One - Movin (Guitar)
    Music Minus One - Mr Bojangles (Guitar)
    2x Curtis Mayfield - Live
    Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - s/t
    Gene Ammons - Jungle Soul (purple)
    Shirley Scott - One for Me
    Groove Holmes - Onsaya Joy
    Charles earland - Black talk (purple)
    Shirley Scott - Drag em Out (dark blue)
    David Newman - Fathead (green)
    Gene Harris & his Three Sounds - Elegant Soul

• Mark sorry to give you a hard time. You kind of invite mischief when you say stuff like "Dropped a benjamin" or "shout out to my man" or whatever.

I buy records in bulk for $5 all the time, but then again I spend more than ten times as much.

No hard feelings...

• And when I do buy my friends' records I always pay them high end. Or, if I'm going to sell it, I'll tell them that I'll pay half what I can get for it. After all, they are my friends.

That's admirable, but criticizing M*rk for not following your Rules of Keeping the Record Game Pure sounds high-horsey, as do most people on this board who claim to have some sort of ethical high ground on buying pieces of plastic.

Or maybe you and Mark are just having a lovers spat? No worries - DigDug & I have those all the time.

Crink, you gotta be kidding. Which of these records would
    you say he "criminally underpaid" for? The AUM is the only record
    worth more than $20 when mint - Matrix and Earth Opera are terds that
    stores can't give away, Family is a decent $10-$15 album at best and
    Bubble Puppy is barely worth more than $20, certainly not in that condition.
    The price his friend charged him for those is around what I priced my
    beater copy 60's records like Peanut Butter Conspiracy for my record sale.

I'm all for busting Mark Latency's balls but your argument is soft...

Crink,

I'm so glad I can keep you amused.

me too. I have very little to do today.

Crink, you gotta be kidding. Which of these records would
    you say he "criminally underpaid" for? The AUM is the only record
    worth more than $20 when mint - Matrix and Earth Opera are terds that
    stores can't give away, Family is a decent $10-$15 album at best and
    Bubble Puppy is barely worth more than $20, certainly not in that condition.
    The price his friend charged him for those is around what I priced my
    beater copy 60's records like Peanut Butter Conspiracy for my record sale.

I'm all for busting Mark Latency's balls but your argument is soft...

yet I somehow knew I could get him to explain/defend every aspect of his buying experience.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    crink, you're a dork son. fall back

• Anyone interested can have my Terry Brooks for free.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    crink, you're a dork son. fall back

Wow, crink, you've been immolated.

Better just come back as an alias, 'son'.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

got Maiden voyage (in nice cond.) for $1 this week. soooo

West 63rd?
    New York, New York?
    New York, USA?
    Division of Liberty white?
    Division of Liberty black?
    Division of Liberty blue?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dorkson

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    at the flea for $1:

Kool and the Gang - Live at the Sex Machine
    Baby Huey - Living Legend
    Candido - Beautiful (does this matter w/ blue/white label?)
    Funk Inc - Chicken Lickin
    Parlet - Pleasure Principle
    Idris Muhammad - Power of Soul (black jacket)
    Shirley Scott - Soul is Willing (yellow/black, NJ)
    roy ayers - Vibrations
    Miles davis - Musings of Miles (yellow/black, NJ)
    dexter Wansel - Life on Mars
    Funkadelic - s/t
    Fuzzy Haskins - Whole Nother Thang
    Music Minus One - Movin (Guitar)
    Music Minus One - Mr Bojangles (Guitar)
    2x Curtis Mayfield - Live
    Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - s/t
    Gene Ammons - Jungle Soul (purple)
    Shirley Scott - One for Me
    Groove Holmes - Onsaya Joy
    Charles earland - Black talk (purple)
    Shirley Scott - Drag em Out (dark blue)
    David Newman - Fathead (green)
    Gene Harris & his Three Sounds - Elegant Soul

i hope you told the dealer some of these are $10-20 records!

dork's son

well, the old man is pretty dorky... have I told the story about how he likes to bring single roses to young waitresses he has crushes on? He's ruined a few good places for me that way. He just hasn't been the same since Mom left...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I blame Dakar for quoting prices in his finds. Now you are all suspect to me.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Just came back from Goodwill. After a drought of crap, the mentality is "if one jazz album is found, more may be nearby. If so, grab and run":

Odell Brown & The Organ-Izers-Mellow Yellow (Cadet LPS 788)
    Bobbi Humphrey-Flute-In (Blue Note BST 84369)
    Quincy Jones-Gula Matari (A&M SP 3030)
    The Ramsey Lewis Trio-Upendo Ni Pamojo (Columbia KC 31096)
    Ramsey Lewis-Don't It Feel Good (Columbia PC 33800)
    Roy Meriwether-Preachin' (Capitol ST-243)
    Ken Munson-Super Flute (Paramount PAS-6049)
    Shirley Scott-Something (Atlantic SD 1581)
    Tom Scott-Target (Atlantic 80106-1)

Yeah, the Tom Scott one was not as if I found Honeysuckle Ping Pong and it is of 1983 vintage, but I already have a few of his albums so it doesn't hurt to have it, "just in case".

I also found a 45 by Adam Wind from Kent, Washington called "You Don't Need It"/"Old Funky Song", which I bought for the B-side, and the fact that it had "Kris Howes, 7th Grade" on the label and sleeve. The A-side was co-written by Leroy Bell, and I'm curious to know if this is the same Leroy Bell of Bell & James fame, especially since Bell (whose CD I reviewed a few months ago) now lives and performs in the Seattle area. It's funky in that "ha ha, I can't believe we can actually say funky on a record" sort of way. I'll MP3 it in a bit and put it up on my blog, for those who may want to hear it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    TODAY I GOT:

gangsta pat - deadly verses ep (!!)
    little bruce - "mobbin in my old school" 12" (!!!)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Oh, and I sense a tension going on between The Mack and Crink.