urban pet peeves

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    What batmon is saying is, real men go deaf.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    My dog is always out with me--she is Miss social.

People walking down the street say shit like "That dog needs some water."

I feel like saying...

"Oh, shit! Really? They need water? Where can I find this so-called 'water'?"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    fucking jay walkers...I swear this city could solve their budget crisis with one months worth of jay walking tickets. But it is never enforced. Muhfuggers around here will cross a fucking six-lane street during rush hour, walking at a stupid strut pace and ice-grill you if you get too close to them. Go to the corner and push the little button and wait your turn fucktard.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    People who drive everywhere in the city.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What batmon is saying is, real men go deaf.

I've been takin the subway since I was 10 yrs old. My hearing is fine. And I'm DEF.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Are we back on track here?

People that clap at the end of movies.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Some folks are just slothful

anti-megalonychidaeite

I plan to use this word in conversation with Ryan Seacrest today

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

esp. if it's a bad movie
    (I don't think that's strictly an urban thing though).

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    fucking jay walkers...I swear this city could solve their budget crisis with one months worth of jay walking tickets. But it is never enforced. Muhfuggers around here will cross a fucking six-lane street during rush hour, walking at a stupid strut pace and ice-grill you if you get too close to them. Go to the corner and push the little button and wait your turn fucktard.

Dont front like u didnt clap after TOY STORY 2.

But were not on the right track. How is this specifically URBAN?

Are we back on track here?

Nothing like a good friday thread hijack b/w a little name calling + some race/poverty/class talk. Where's that jpeg of the chick with pink poof coming out her ass? That's would top it off.

When URBAN became synonomous w/ BLACK/AFRICAN-AMERICAN. Never liked that shit and never will.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Was gonna say. But since we mentioned movies, people who laugh at those fucking fandango ads.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

NEXT UP.

There are a bunch of dudes in my neighborhood who appear to be 30+ sport scraggly beards and stringy longish hair (kind of like Ogre in Revenge Of The Nerds) and ride skateboards with expensive hoodies camo shorts and wannabe "stunna shades" and ride through red lights flicking off cars that swerve to avoid hitting them (just hit them). You occasionally will catch them trying to bust ollies and failing miserably accidentally kicking their deck into the street and flicking off cars that swerve to avoid hitting it (just hit it).

Sound's like the yout dem from the "Kids" movie have grown up.

• Sound's like the yout dem from the "Kids" movie have grown up.

People that see anyone from that movie as "cool" or "something they aspire to be like."

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    let me help you guys out...

food issues:

hot dog vendors that try to charge 2.00 for a hot dog b/c they are set up in some touristy area,,, paying more than a dollar for a hot dog on the street is criminal..

delis that try to pretend they're pizza places

restaurants like Queens Hideaway or Diner that act like "good service isn't cool" and don't fill up your water or make you wait 20 minutes for the check...

"brunching"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

People that see anyone from that movie as "cool" or "something they aspire to be like."

Why must you denigrate Young Phonics' desire to emulate Telly the virgin surgeon?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

NEXT UP.

There are a bunch of dudes in my neighborhood who appear to be 30+ sport scraggly beards and stringy longish hair (kind of like Ogre in Revenge Of The Nerds) and ride skateboards with expensive hoodies camo shorts and wannabe "stunna shades" and ride through red lights flicking off cars that swerve to avoid hitting them (just hit them). You occasionally will catch them trying to bust ollies and failing miserably accidentally kicking their deck into the street and flicking off cars that swerve to avoid hitting it (just hit it).

we had some of those shitheads at the bar we were DJing about a year ago, they thought it would be cool if they went out to the patio and started breaking the patio furniture...I tell ya, you just step to these jerk offs and threaten to beat their ass and they pick up their little boards and walk away, then they wait until they are across the street and then yell shit and give ya the "bring it" gesticulation...fucking pussies.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    let me help you guys out...

food issues:

hot dog vendors that try to charge 2.00 for a hot dog b/c they are set up in some touristy area,,, paying more than a dollar for a hot dog on the street is criminal..

Pizzaboys who work areas that serve a more upscale community and therefore see themselves as upscale pizzaboys.

Yeah y'all deliver to Beverly Hills. When you delivering pizza to my office don't get uppity and front like your car ain't got the dominoes sign on the door

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

True.

Okay here's another one, cab drivers with zero personality that don't talk to you, then proceed to blab on there blue tooths, then expect a big tip? This might just be a Vancouver thing though. Small town cab drivers are the truth.

• delis that try to pretend they're pizza places

these places give me the heebie jeebies.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    cab drivers with zero personality that don't talk to you, then proceed to blab on there blue tooths, then expect a big tip? This might just be a Vancouver thing though. Small town cab drivers are the truth.

Being from LA I rarely use a cab, however I had to use one yesterday morning for the hour long commute to work and dude was fucking amazing. I step in his Cab and he's playing Songs for my Father. we get into a talk about jazz and he pulls out his book of CD's saying feel free to put on anything you want to hear. I was like, dude trust me I don't think I want to change this out.

we spent the next hour talking on Silver, Mingus, Coltrane and Miles

well worth the $85 taxi voucher I used

• cab drivers with zero personality .

This might be an NY thing but how about cab drivers that you have to tell how to get where they're going? I have had to instruct cabs how to get across town. I have drifted into a daydream, reverie, or phone conversation only to realize all of a sudden that we are completely lost. I have had to tell cabbies how to get back to the highway (after taking the same highway to drop me off).

Africans denyin' n*ggas up in yellow cabs/musty as fuck waving their arms to a-rabs

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Being from LA I rarely use a cab, however I had to use one yesterday morning for the hour long commute to work and dude was fucking amazing. I step in his Cab and he's playing Songs for my Father. we get into a talk about jazz and he pulls out his book of CD's saying feel free to put on anything you want to hear. I was like, dude trust me I don't think I want to change this out.

See that's more like it. Send that dude to Van please.

• Poeple who hold their ears in the subway. WTF are you here in NYC for? Get used to it.

Anything over 85dB is potentially damaging to your ears, and you know that shit can get LOUD, especially in an enclosed concrete area which is basically acting as a giant reverb chamber. Act like a hard-ass new yorker if you want but don't give me dirty looks 'cause I care about my shit.

Why are u here? Do you wear a gas mask for all the pollution? WTF?

Wow this shit actually bothers you that much? I'm here for work as a recording engineer and musician. Holding my ears for few seconds while the train pulls up makes more sense than pulling ear plugs in and out all day. If a big ass truck spewing exhaust drives by you are you gonna take a deep breath?

Your hearing might seem fine to you.. but this brings me to another pet-peeve: I've heard lots of live-sound dudes say the same shit... and yet when they're mixing front of house they crank the high end to point of it being almost unbearable because they've lost sensitivity up there... it sounds fine to them but to everbody else it's all nasty treble.

While I'm bitching:

Those flipup seats at the end of the car that dumbasses always seem to forget are spring loaded.

cab drivers with zero personality that don't talk to you, then proceed to blab on there blue tooths, then expect a big tip? This might just be a Vancouver thing though. Small town cab drivers are the truth.

CDs? interesting.

well? are you buying his jazz LP collection next week?

See that's more like it. Send that dude to Van please.

That's hit or miss nowaydays. Most of the cab drivers are new comers, not the classic TAXI tv show lifers who can spit great little phrases to live by. I did get into an interesting convo w/ an African brother/gypsy cab driver about Harlem gentrification.

New deli's sprouting up by my work that think they can get away with charging $7 for a day old sandwich because they've got pin-point lighting and put some kind of gourmet cheese on everything.

• When URBAN became synonomous w/ BLACK/AFRICAN-AMERICAN. Never liked that shit and never will.

Agree with that 100%, and add 'gritty,' to the list. Once, when I got drunk around a bunch of PIRG kids (they're the ones from Page 2 asking, "If you have a second for the environment,") one said that Boston wasn't gritty enough. I asked her what she meant by that and she said, "you know...dirtier...like dirty rice. More people of color."

New deli's sprouting up by my work that think they can get away with charging $7 for a day old sandwich because they've got pin-point lighting and put some kind of gourmet cheese on everything.

The $7 sandwich has got to go. Troop down to Chinatown, and get the Bahn Mi for $2.50. Its a better sandwich, too.