• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    every time I do it I do it for my... hood
    every time I do it I do it for your... hood
    every time I do it I do it for they... hood
    it's understood
    I do it for the hood

now THAT is quality writing

Doooood.....

for all the southernrap bandwagonation laffytaffy celebration lyrcism hateration that goes on around here i would expect you to be among the last people to actually criticize a New Rap song for its lack of "quality writing".

Or maybe its because I can't really grasp quantum physics yet.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You guys are weird as fuck.
    You do know what a 'chorus' is, right?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You guys are weird as fuck.

You JUST figured that out? LOL. You are a foll and an idot for that one!!!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You are tripping.
    What is wrong with the chorus "Its understooood, i do it for the hood"? It has some of his best verses too, "Closest I been to commercial's when I watch TV /
    And everybody know I rep these streets faithfully." I probably know the verses from it better than any other track on the album.

You sound ass-hurt.

This is funny--like you can't believe anybody would possibly take issue with that song.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    every time I do it I do it for my... hood
    every time I do it I do it for your... hood
    every time I do it I do it for they... hood
    it's understood
    I do it for the hood

now THAT is quality writing

Stuff

laffy taffy is so much better than this song

• Video :[/b]

gangster djs use serato.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    "Closest I been to commercial's when I watch TV /
    And everybody know I rep these streets faithfully."
    this line SUCKS
    so does this one...
    "i'm so cool but i'm so hot, and i'm so fly, and you, you're so not"
    and a shitload more when they're delivered in his straining whisper style

on a positive note, ray cash and dogg pound (and i predict solo daz) are both solid additions to this year's releases

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You are tripping.
    What is wrong with the chorus "Its understooood, i do it for the hood"? It has some of his best verses too, "Closest I been to commercial's when I watch TV /
    And everybody know I rep these streets faithfully." I probably know the verses from it better than any other track on the album.

You sound ass-hurt.

This is funny--like you can't believe anybody would possibly take issue with that song.

I'm not taking it personal! Its just one of the album's better tracks i think. Calling it a 'weak track' is weird to me. Tho not as weird as wondering why the chorus isn't shakespeare, i guess.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this line SUCKS

please to explain

Its funny that dilated peoples are in that video.

its just corny, along with a lot of his other lyrics.
    "i'm in the streets all day, i can sleep when i die"
    "the closest i ever came to commercial is when i watch tv"
    sounds like it should be on the back of a no fear t-shirt for the streets or something

i know i'm in the minority round here so no need for anybody to go and get all pissy

No, that line is hot and the strained whisper is the cherry on top. Only somebody that is not at all hot (or so not hot) would attempt to hate.

You are tripping.

You sound ass-hurt.

I'm not taking it personal! Its just one of the album's better tracks i think. Calling it a 'weak track' is weird to me.

And it's weird to me--particularly from somebody who claims to prefer the mixtape version of Jeezy--that you wouldn't see this track for what it is: a commercial concession that sounds out of place on the album.

Tho not as weird as wondering why the chorus isn't shakespeare, i guess.

Who said anything about Shakespeare?

All I said was that it wasn't nearly as interesting as:

ay, who i be?
    rubber band man
    wild as the taliban
    9 in my right
    45 in my other hand.
    who I'm is?
    call me trouble man
    always in trouble, man
    worth a couple hundred grand
    chevys, all colors man

You disagree?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

No, that line is hot and the strained whisper is the cherry on top. Only somebody that is not at all hot (or so not hot) would attempt to hate.

I'm not sure how to say this.... but uh... well, lets just say you would get kicked out of pharrel's loft in a heartbeat.....

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    this line SUCKS

so does this one...

try not to take him so seriously.... i crack up at his corny lines. makes the album more enjoyable to me. but then again i'm not a hardcore hip hop fan who has to have a meaningful lyric in every line of a song. i love dumb shit. jeezy rocks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

And it's weird to me--particularly from somebody who claims to prefer the mixtape version of Jeezy--that you wouldn't see this track for what it is: a commercial concession that sounds out of place on the album.

I don't have something against 'commercial concessions,' i think thats a ridiculous way to look at music. I think the song with Akon is dope too, and if that's not a 'commercial concession' i don't know what is. My preference for the mixtape has more to do with it working more *as an album* but that doesn't preclude me enjoying his pop tracks.

ay, who i be?
    rubber band man
    wild as the taliban
    9 in my right
    45 in my other hand.
    who I'm is?
    call me trouble man
    always in trouble, man
    chevys, all colors man

You disagree?

I have to refuse to accept the terms of the question! Nas's "Represent" has an less lyrical chorus than 'rubberband man' too, but it works perfectly for the song.

I think an "I do it for the hood" hook is just as fine as T.I.'s hook, which is going for something totally different. They're both nursery rhyme melodies, is about the only similarity.

And GB's right, the point of the 'television/commercials' line isn't 'omg what a clever metaphor,' jeezy isn't trying to be clever there, he's trying to impress his point to you (how down he is w the STREETS).

I don't have something against 'commercial concessions,' i think thats a ridiculous way to look at music. I think the song with Akon is dope too, and if that's not a 'commercial concession' i don't know what is. My preference for the mixtape has more to do with it working more *as an album* but that doesn't preclude me enjoying his pop tracks.

ay, who i be?
    rubber band man
    wild as the taliban
    9 in my right
    45 in my other hand.
    who I'm is?
    call me trouble man
    always in trouble, man
    chevys, all colors man

You disagree?

I have to refuse to accept the terms of the question! Nas's "Represent" has an less lyrical chorus than 'rubberband man' too, but it works perfectly for the song.

I think an "I do it for the hood" hook is just as fine as T.I.'s hook, which is going for something totally different. They're both nursery rhyme melodies, is about the only similarity.

Yes, they are different, but T.I. has found an interesting way to say what he wants to say. There are also interesting ways to convery that you do what you do for the hood, and Jeezy failed to strike upon one of them.

Please don't use the word "lyrical" around me.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Please don't use the word "lyrical" around me; I prefer lyrical bluntz.

Please don't use the word "lyrical" around me.

lol

let's rewrite the jeezy hook right now then and see what it COULD have been...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    They're different songs. I don't expect Jeezy to rap like Tip. Or write choruses like Tip. T.I. is a better rapper without a doubt. But the chorus to "My Hood" works perfectly for what he's doing, its a simple singalong.

They're different songs. I don't expect Jeezy to rap like Tip. Or write choruses like Tip. T.I. is a better rapper without a doubt. But the chorus to "My Hood" works perfectly for what he's doing, its a simple singalong.

Stop throwing up straw men.

Looking for rappers to come up with interesting ways to say things does not = wanting all rappers to sound like Tip.

Ross's original question was "Why do you like 'Rubberband Man' but not 'My Hood'" and my answer was, in part, that the chorus to "Rubberband Man" was more interesting. Maybe Jeezy could have done other things to make that song appeal to me despite the lame chorus, but he didn't.

i agree deej, the hook fits the song fine. it may be out of place on the album but every album that expects any kind of commercial success has to have some commercial tracks. 2 singles and the rest of the album is grimey trap music. works for me. the album is so reptitive that those commercial tracks break it up nicely in my opinion.

Jeez, whereas before I only found that song moderately annoying, deej & co. have succeeded in making me completely hate it.

Thanks a lot.

back to the topic of what's good in rap...

dj khaled anyone?
    "holla" "gangsta shit" and kanye's "grammy family" all bump
    listnnennninnn should be good. what's the word?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    what about Mims - This is Why I'm Hot? real real simple but catchy...

Mims

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what the fuck is wrong with you people

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Busta Rhmyes :The Big Bang [/b]

For three days this was The Schitt ......Haven't played it at all since.....It's a good cd ..but i don't want to listen to it ...Does that make sense?

Yes because it's hype has worn off.

Ray Cash: C.O.D[/b]

just an average Hip Hop cd ....nothing more,nothing less ..ya heard one ,ya heard em all...and we have heard a million of them .......Bumpin My Music is an underrated, classic song in my opinion ...but the cd is average....let's move on

You need to listen this with your "hip hop ears" or you'll miss it's greatness.