Cali iz Active .....

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Video :[/b] Song :[/b] Album :[/b] Busta Rhmyes :The Big Bang [/b]For three days this was The Schitt ......Haven't played it at all since.....It's a good cd ..but i don't want to listen to it ...Does that make sense? Yung Joc: New Joc City[/b]First of all... Ditty should fire himself for approving that album title ....one of the worst looks of all time .......everybody i ask says the same thing "all the songs sound the same" ......thats another way of saying ..Joc is a boring ass rapper, with a dry ass flow, who aint sayin a damn thing .....yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.but.....there are some bangers on this cd .....Do ya Bad,Patron,Flip Flop and that other song ....but,as i said yaaaaaaaaawwwwwnnnn,zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzZZZzzzzzShawnna:Block Music[/b]A close friend of mine told me to not even bother listening to this schitt.....i'm going to listen ...but i'm in no rush...... 2007,2009 maybe....$1 bin ....whenever.......one day......... Ray Cash: C.O.D[/b]just an average Hip Hop cd ....nothing more,nothing less ..ya heard one ,ya heard em all...and we have heard a million of them .......Bumpin My Music is an underrated, classic song in my opinion ...but the cd is average....let's move onIce Cube: Laugh Now,Cry Later[/b]Ice Cube is an actor now .......and i dont mean that in a mean/bad way .....but ...he sounds like an actor who has a nice flow .....some of those beats are (Smoke some,that Emile beat,chrome and paint,steal the show) .....but instead of killin that shit ....i'll put it to you like this ..there is one song on that cd where you can tell he's reading his rap....can you imagine The Clipse spittin on that Chrome & Paint beat ? ....Field Mob: Light Poles and Pine Trees[/b]Atlanta : 0 for 2i have no desire to listen to Lord Jamar and Boot Camp Click ........Is it cool to still say you're in a "click" ? sounds kinda fem in 06Hi Houston ! its kinda sad how some Houston rappers just sold outmeanwhile the Bay rappers are trying not to sell out, but they aint sellin(correction...i forgot about Keak on Sweet Sixteen) maybe i dont blame Paul Wall for "doing this joint with Brooke yall"p.s........Rick Ross is not good but he makes really good songs

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Song :[/b]

Playing it back to back w/ MC Frosty & Lovin' C's 'Radio Activity Rapp (Let's Jam)'

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yung Joc: New Joc City[/b]

First of all... Ditty should fire himself for approving that album title ....one of the worst looks of all time .......everybody i ask says the same thing "all the songs sound the same" ......thats another way of saying ..Joc is a boring ass rapper, with a dry ass flow, who aint sayin a damn thing .....yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

but.....there are some bangers on this cd .....Do ya Bad,Patron,Flip Flop and that other song ....but,as i said yaaaaaaaaawwwwwnnnn,zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzZZZzzzzz

Field Mob: Light Poles and Pine Trees[/b]

Atlanta : 0 for 2

This guy that I work w/ was jocking the above titles, saying that they were "classics".

For the record, Field Mob aren't Atlanta based.

They rep. Albany.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Y'all are going way overboard on this Dogg Pound record. I like the damn thing but jesus.

The Shawnna album is great, and it actually sounds like it was made in 2006.

Yo Gotti and B.G. albums remain underrated and great.

Ray Cash is better than average but I definitely could see him having a hotter sophomore album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Ray Cash: C.O.D[/b]

just an average Hip Hop cd ....nothing more,nothing less ..ya heard one ,ya heard em all...and we have heard a million of them .......Bumpin My Music is an underrated, classic song in my opinion ...but the cd is average....let's move on

You mean it's not better than King? ::eyeroll::

Have you heard Da Backwudz album? I keep hearing people talk about it but have yet to hear it myself.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

just an average Hip Hop cd ....nothing more,nothing less ..ya heard one ,ya heard em all...and we have heard a million of them .......Bumpin My Music is an underrated, classic song in my opinion ...but the cd is average....let's move on

Have you heard Da Backwudz album? I keep hearing people talk about it but have yet to hear it myself.
    Wood Work is pretty good, it starts off great and falls off a bit towards the end. There's also a depressing song about a gay dude who committs suicide and a guy who loses his virginity only to get AIDS.

Wood Work is pretty good, it starts off great and falls off a bit towards the end. There's also a depressing song about a gay dude who committs suicide and a guy who loses his virginity only to get AIDS.

Yes, but you like everything.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    There's also a depressing song about a gay dude who committs suicide and a guy who loses his virginity only to get AIDS.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Certainly not true. Dude my longest thread here was about how I think The Chronic is overrated. I'm also not the one going all facemelter over a decent dogg pound record.

Also, perhaps this this thread is an opportune place to mention that I listened to this album from start to finish last night for the first time in awhile and I am newly convinced that it is a classic:

That's right, batches, not merely "one of the best albums of 2005," but a CLASSIC.

Certainly not true. Dude my longest thread here was about how I think The Chronic is overrated. I'm also not the one going all facemelter over a decent dogg pound record.

But you admit that you like everything that's come out during the past eight years or so?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    trap or die is still better, but that is great yes.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

But you admit that you like everything that's come out during the past eight years or so?
    Wtf are you talking about? "hip-hop hasn't fallen off" =/ "all new hip-hop is great"

I'm also apparently the only person who doesn't think the Clipse are going to SAVE RAP MUSIC

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Also, perhaps this this thread is an opportune place to mention that I listened to this album from start to finish last night for the first time in awhile and I am newly convinced that it is a classic:

That's right, batches, not merely "one of the best albums of 2005," but a CLASSIC.

I don't know about that mayne. I still wonder what Jeezy was thinking when he did that REALLY corny "My Hood" song and video. That shit was wack. Now Special Ed is going to tell me that if Jeezy was in the same room with me I would not say that about his song. LOL

I'm waiting for Faux to tell me that I don't like rap. LOL

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Please allow me to recommend this local rap gem:

Global - Scientific Nigerian

http://www.myspace.com/global74

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Yung Joc: New Joc City[/b]

First of all... Ditty should fire himself for approving that album title ....one of the worst looks of all time .......everybody i ask says the same thing "all the songs sound the same" ......thats another way of saying ..Joc is a boring ass rapper, with a dry ass flow, who aint sayin a damn thing .....yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Yeah but Jeezy's last album sounded damn near the same start to finish and i really liked that shit.

Shawnna:Block Music[/b]

A close friend of mine told me to not even bother listening to this schitt.....i'm going to listen ...but i'm in no rush...... 2007,2009 maybe....$1 bin ....whenever.......one day.........

I'm more interested in hearing this than Young Joc's album. Buddy Miles' daughter rapping about getting head? I'd like to see what's behind door number 2.

Field Mob: Light Poles and Pine Trees[/b]

Atlanta : 0 for 2

Albany, but yeah. These guys are kinda hit or miss to me. Some pretty good songs but then some scratch your head songs. Haven't heard this album though.

p.s........Rick Ross is not good but he makes really good songs

It doesn't hurt that his first single was one of the hottest beats in the game at the time. Argue if you will but that beat has everybody feeling Rick Ross. He obviously isn't a great rapper, but probably a great rap entertainer. or something.

Shawnna:Block Music[/b]

A close friend of mine told me to not even bother listening to this schitt.....i'm going to listen ...but i'm in no rush...... 2007,2009 maybe....$1 bin ....whenever.......one day.........

I'm more interested in hearing this than Young Joc's album. Buddy Miles' daughter rapping about getting head? I'd like to see what's behind door number 2.

I thought she was Buddy Guy's daughter.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    according to Wikipedia, you are correct. My bad.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Buddy Guy is on the album, Olu Dara-style.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Da Backwudz is ok but I kinda lost interest about halfway through the album, really really tired of helium vocals these days as well.

Ray Cash shows a lot of potential and I'm enjoying the album more everytime I listen to it. Will be very interested to see what he does with his sophomore release.

Cali Iz Active is fucking great. Highly enjoyable album that only really loses any steam near the end.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Cali Iz Active is fucking great. Highly enjoyable album that only really loses any steam near the end.

Is it that good ol' west coast shit that i've been sorely missing??? I may need to check this out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I like what Kelefa Sanneh said about it:

Even better, the gang's all here (as is the Gang, on the Crip ode "Thrown up da C"). Old Snoop affiliates like RBX, Nate Dogg and Lady of Rage make appearances, along with Ice Cube and, for some reason, the Diddy formerly known as Puffy. What's he doing here? No one seems to know, and it seems rude to ask. Everyone's just relieved that the old man ??? like the three old men on the cover ??? isn't embarrassing himself. KELEFA SANNEH

And that's about how I feel - its just a relief to hear that they can still make good music.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Is it that good ol' west coast shit that i've been sorely missing??? I may need to check this out.

Yeah It's uplifting in the proper west coast way, full of quality tracks and, as deej says, the full roster of rappers as well. Helps that it far far exceeded my expectations.

Title track

Cali Iz Active

Personal favourite

Sittin On 23'z

Wtf are you talking about? "hip-hop hasn't fallen off" =/ "all new hip-hop is great"

Haha, no... everybody on here knows me as a champion of current rap.

I just think that your enthusiasms are sometimes curious. Different strokes.

I don't know about that mayne. I still wonder what Jeezy was thinking when he did that REALLY corny "My Hood" song and video. That shit was wack. Now Special Ed is going to tell me that if Jeezy was in the same room with me I would not say that about his song. LOL

YOU DO NOT LIKE RAP!

Actually I was thinking last night that that song sticks out like a sore thumb--but even CLASSICs can have a weak track.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    As much as I'm afraid this aligns me w/ such respected rap heads as Tom Breihan, I still think that's one of the best songs on the album, even if I played it out long ago.

So has anyone checked Yo Gotti?? I think its real good.

Yo Gotti , "Back 2 Da Basics" (TVT Records)

Yo Gotti is a shiny-toothed, crime-obsessed Southern rapper who has yet to score a big hit. But he does have a rabid local fan base in Memphis, along with one of hip-hop's richest drawls. His sing-song rhymes tumble out in a lispy blur of squelched consonants, shape-shifting vowels and agile rhythms. One minute he's mournful and grim ("Cold Game," an indictment of snitches), the next he's playful and clever (the witty "Full Time"). For "Gangsta Party," Yo Gotti splurges on a big-name sample (Marvin Gaye) and a couple of well-chosen guests (Bun B and 8 Ball), both of whom he matches, maybe even outdoes. The result is one of the year's smoothest, loveliest hip-hop singles; with more tracks like that, Yo Gotti could one day storm the charts. For now, let him storm your CD player instead. GRADE: B

Kelefa Sanneh / New York Times

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

YOU DO NOT LIKE RAP!

Actually I was thinking last night that that song sticks out like a sore thumb--but even CLASSICs can have a weak track.

What?! That song is hot. Did you also hatt "Rubberband Man"? They're kinda the same song.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    As much as I'm afraid this aligns me w/ such respected rap heads as Tom Breihan, I still think that's one of the best songs on the album, even if I played it out long ago.

So has anyone checked Yo Gotti?? I think its real good.

Yo Gotti , "Back 2 Da Basics" (TVT Records)

Yo Gotti is a shiny-toothed, crime-obsessed Southern rapper who has yet to score a big hit. But he does have a rabid local fan base in Memphis, along with one of hip-hop's richest drawls. His sing-song rhymes tumble out in a lispy blur of squelched consonants, shape-shifting vowels and agile rhythms. One minute he's mournful and grim ("Cold Game," an indictment of snitches), the next he's playful and clever (the witty "Full Time"). For "Gangsta Party," Yo Gotti splurges on a big-name sample (Marvin Gaye) and a couple of well-chosen guests (Bun B and 8 Ball), both of whom he matches, maybe even outdoes. The result is one of the year's smoothest, loveliest hip-hop singles; with more tracks like that, Yo Gotti could one day storm the charts. For now, let him storm your CD player instead. GRADE: B

Kelefa Sanneh / New York Times

well the review makes it sound GOD AWFUL. hooray for me!

YOU DO NOT LIKE RAP!

What?! That song is hot. Did you also hatt "Rubberband Man"? They're kinda the same song.

"Kinda the same song" is often not very hot when reheated two years later.

"My Hood" is to "Rubberband Man" as "Rodeo" is to "Slow Motion"

And "Rubberband Man" has a much better chorus.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You are tripping.
    What is wrong with the chorus "Its understooood, i do it for the hood"? It has some of his best verses too, "Closest I been to commercial's when I watch TV /
    And everybody know I rep these streets faithfully." I probably know the verses from it better than any other track on the album.