NBA PLAYOFFS '05-'06 What'sGood BATCHEZ

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    reasons for the Laker's defeat Sunday:

1) lack of confidence due to young age.
    2) inability to hit open J's in the clutch due to (1)
    3) free throws
    4) 2 crucial miss calls by the refs down the stretch. One being the blocking foul by Kwame, when it shoulda been a charge. The other being the slap on Bryant's face in the final minutes.

other than that, i felt the Lakers executed well. Kobe looked tired though.

That looked like the Lakers at their best.....Phoenix Sweeps 'Em

you know even as a Laker diehard, i was just thinking the possibility of a sweep is pretty big.

It's so hard to make "adjustments" to this Phoenix offense, cuz they could attack from all angles and every player is a threat. I liked what Odom was doing against Marion. They should use more of Kwame too in the low post.

The first time in years, that they are the underdogs! wheeeeeeeeee.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mavs are up by 9 at the half.......don't think Memphis can hang with them at all.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Mavs are up by 9 at the half.......don't think Memphis can hang with them at all.

I agree, as the commentators are saying, the Mavs just "want it more"

Dirk and Co are definitely playing with passion and intensity. Nice!

reasons for the Laker's defeat Sunday:

1) lack of confidence due to young age.
    2) inability to hit open J's in the clutch due to (1)
    3) free throws
    4) 2 crucial miss calls by the refs down the stretch. One being the blocking foul by Kwame, when it shoulda been a charge. The other being the slap on Bryant's face in the final minutes.

other than that, i felt the Lakers executed well. Kobe looked tired though.

Agreed, the Lakers did fine. The slap by Tim Thomas definitely should not have been ignored by the refs. Suns were a little lost but they'll either hit their stride during game 2 or just let Kobe have one. Notice how it was being touted as "Kobe vs the Suns," lol.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Notice how it was being touted as "Kobe vs the Suns," lol.

even I was saying that shit earlier in this thread:

Kobe > Suns in 6 games.

thats what you meant...

on another note, looks like my team played a good game in general and if Anthony had been playing a decent game, we would have won that one no contest. game 2 tonight, we're crushing LA. watch out.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Monday, April 24, 2006
    Artest suspended one game for hitting Ginobili[/b]

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings was suspended one game without pay for hitting Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs in the head with his forearm.

The suspension was announced Monday by the league. Artest will miss Game 2 of the Western Conference series on Tuesday.

The contact occurred in the third period of the Spurs' 122-88 win Saturday night against the visiting Kings.

Artest was hit in the mouth by Ginobili's elbow on the game's opening possession. The cut inside his upper lip required three stitches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 24, 2006
    Heat's Haslem suspended for Game 2[/b]

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Miami forward Udonis Haslem will miss Monday's playoff game against the Chicago Bulls, serving a one-game suspension for throwing his mouthpiece toward referee Joey Crawford in the series opener.

Haslem will sit out Game 2 of the Heat's first-round series with the Bulls on Monday night. The NBA announced the sanction after the Heat's morning shootaround practice.

Haslem was unavailable for comment. Heat coach Pat Riley also declined comment after the morning practice, saying he was waiting for the NBA to publicly announce its decision.

"He's really down," said Jason Levien, Haslem's agent. "I think he really feels like he let the team down. He's disappointed in the league's call, but he's accepting of it. ... He'll be on pins and needles tonight, because if the Heat don't win he'll take that very personally."

Levien said Haslem learned of the decision around the time that Miami's morning practice ended.

Haslem was ejected with 4:11 left in the opening half of the Heat's 111-106 win in Game 1 on Saturday night. He wound up on the floor after jostling with three Bulls for an offensive rebound, and -- apparently incensed over no foul being called -- reached for his mouthpiece and threw it in Crawford's direction.

Crawford immediately signaled Haslem's ejection. Haslem apologized after the game, yet insisted that he was throwing the piece of plastic at the ground -- not with the intent of hitting Crawford.

While there now is clarity over Haslem's status, that of another Miami big man -- Alonzo Mourning -- remains unknown.

Mourning has missed Miami's last 15 games since tearing a calf muscle in an 82-73 loss at Detroit on March 22. He has been rehabilitating and said last week that the muscle was healed, but his strength and conditioning level weren't were they needed to be for him to return.

Mourning's status will be decided at game time, Riley said.

Marc Stein's article on ESPN.com

• Monday, April 24, 2006
    Artest suspended one game for hitting Ginobili[/b]

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings was suspended one game without pay for hitting Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs in the head with his forearm.

The suspension was announced Monday by the league. Artest will miss Game 2 of the Western Conference series on Tuesday.

The contact occurred in the third period of the Spurs' 122-88 win Saturday night against the visiting Kings.

Artest was hit in the mouth by Ginobili's elbow on the game's opening possession. The cut inside his upper lip required three stitches.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Clippers [/b] Nuggets[/b]

its time to
    its looking like there's no way clips are gonna go down to the denver this series, the nuggets have one sad plane flight home tonight, and i feel like giving dunleavy a big ol' hug tonight (no ayo)

round two: clippers > suns ???

round two: clippers > suns ???

never that, son

we're crushingWe got crushed by[/b] LA.

I was so pissed I turned the game off in the 2nd quarter when they were losing 15 to 40 and started watching Kung Fu Hustle instead. The ass whoopings there were more entertaining.

But hey IT'S NOT OVER YET. I know history says 0-2 never win a series but we are proven as one of the hardest to beat at home so maybe we can pull some of our dignity back and win these next two at the Pepsi. They better fuckin win game 3 because I got tickets to game 4 and I'll be damned if I'm going to see them play in an 0-3 series!

Nuggets losing to the Clips, possible. Clips beating the Suns? Don't think so....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

its time to
    its looking like there's no way clips are gonna go down to the denver this series, the nuggets have one sad plane flight home tonight, and i feel like giving dunleavy a big ol' hug tonight (no ayo)

Yeah, Denver got HOUSED last night! At no point during that game was it even a content. I really like the way them Clips are playing, too. Lots of energy and it's good for those dudes to get some shine.

its time to

Yeah, Denver got HOUSED last night! At no point during that game was it even a content. I really like the way them Clips are playing, too. Lots of energy and it's good for those dudes to get some shine.

not that i don't agree that the clips were killin it (i'm actually a Brand fan), but that wasn't the Nuggets out there. i don't know what fuckin' team that was. melo with 2 fouls in the first quarter? sitting on the sidlines thinking "fuck fuck fuck fuck" watching his team get slaughtered? that shit sucked. even if we lose the series we gotta take these next 2 at home. GOT TO.

• clippers foll

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    holy shit how do you leave brent barry open for a 3 like that. i can't believe that game went into OT.
    bibby had too many needless turnovers in the 4th and OT. i've never beena kings fan but i cant help but feel disappointed for them after letting this one slip through their fingers.

heckofa exciting game nevertheless

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    holy shit how do you leave brent barry open for a 3 like that. i can't believe that game went into OT.
    bibby had too many needless turnovers in the 4th and OT. i've never beena kings fan but i cant help but feel disappointed for them after letting this one slip through their fingers.

Yep, you gotta close out on the 3-point shooters in that situation. Why did they turn their heads toward Ginobli driving to the basket? A 2-point bucket wouldn't have gotten it done. But, I always say that (1) mental mistakes lose basketball games and (2) teams that cannot play one-possession basketball (either offensively or defensively) will NEVER win an NBA championship. And man, that young Kings guard (Wilson?) played his ass off!!! Did he play college ball for St. Josephs? I forget.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yep, you gotta close out on the 3-point shooters in that situation. Why did they turn their heads toward Ginobli driving to the basket? A 2-point bucket wouldn't have gotten done. But, I always say that (1) mental mistakes lose basketball games and (2) teams that cannot play one-possession basketball (either offensively or defensively) will NEVER win an NBA championship. And man, that young Kings guard (Wilson?) played his ass off!!! Did he play college ball for St. Josephs? I forget.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

The Spurs didn't deserve to win that game, but then again, you can count on the Kings (Bibby excepted) to come up lame when it counts. That was a beautiful play the Spurs ran to get Barry that shot, but still, how the hell you gonna ignore a three-point shooter on the final play when a team has to have a three to tie it?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I just saw a headline that said Steve Nash is going to be the MVP for the second straight year. First the dress code bullshit, and now this.

The NBA does not care about black people.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I just saw a headline that said Steve Nash is going to be the MVP for the second straight year. First the dress code bullshit, and now this.

50 Years Of Not Caring.....

1955-56 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis [/b]
    1956-57 - Bob Cousy, Boston [/b]
    1957-58 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1958-59 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis [/b]
    1959-60 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1960-61 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1961-62 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1962-63 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1963-64 - Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati
    1964-65 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1965-66 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1966-67 - Wilt Chamberlain, Phildadelphia
    1967-68 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1968-69 - Wes Unseld, Baltimore
    1969-70 - Willis Reed, New York
    1970-71 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1971-72 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1972-73 - Dave Cowens, Boston [/b]
    1973-74 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1974-75 - Bob McAdoo, Buffalo
    1975-76 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1976-77 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1977-78 - Bill Walton, Portland[/b]
    1978-79 - Moses Malone, Houston
    1979-80 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1980-81 - Julius Erving, Philadelphia
    1981-82 - Moses Malone, Houston
    1982-83 - Moses Malone, Philadelphia
    1983-84 - Larry Bird, Boston[/b]
    1984-85- Larry Bird, Boston[/b]
    1985-86 - Larry Bird, Boston[/b]
    1986-87 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1987-88 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1988-89 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1989-90 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1990-91 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix
    1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
    1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio
    1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah
    1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah
    1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers
    2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
    2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
    2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix[/b]

so he did got it? wow. good for him the dude deserves it. so did 3 or 4 others but hey, there can only be 1 MVP.

50 Years Of Not Caring.....

1955-56 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis [/b]
    1956-57 - Bob Cousy, Boston [/b]
    1957-58 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1958-59 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis [/b]
    1959-60 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1960-61 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1961-62 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1962-63 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1963-64 - Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati
    1964-65 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1965-66 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1966-67 - Wilt Chamberlain, Phildadelphia
    1967-68 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1968-69 - Wes Unseld, Baltimore
    1969-70 - Willis Reed, New York
    1970-71 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1971-72 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1972-73 - Dave Cowens, Boston [/b]
    1973-74 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1974-75 - Bob McAdoo, Buffalo
    1975-76 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1976-77 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1977-78 - Bill Walton, Portland[/b]
    1978-79 - Moses Malone, Houston
    1979-80 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1980-81 - Julius Erving, Philadelphia
    1981-82 - Moses Malone, Houston
    1982-83 - Moses Malone, Philadelphia
    1983-84 - Larry Bird, Boston[/b]
    1984-85- Larry Bird, Boston[/b]
    1985-86 - Larry Bird, Boston[/b]
    1986-87 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1987-88 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1988-89 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1989-90 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1990-91 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix
    1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
    1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio
    1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah
    1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah
    1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers
    2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
    2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
    2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix[/b]

In my opinion, an argument could be made that a black player should be the MVP every year--some of those Larry Bird years excepted.

In my opinion, an argument could be made that a black player should be the MVP every year--some of those Larry Bird years excepted.

let's hear the argument then. save yourself from being called a racist for the next 4 hours.

let's hear the argument then. save yourself from being called a racist for the next 4 hours.

I don't need to make an argument...Call me a reverse racist all day.

Everyone who is a member of this community knows that I am TIMB (totally into my blackness).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Everyone who is a member of this community knows that I am TIMB (totally into my blackness).

You may be, but one might wager that you are not TIMB (Totally Into My Basketball), dissing the likes of Walton, Pettit, & Cousy...

You may be, but one might wager that you are not TIMB (Totally Into My Basketball), dissing the likes of Walton, Pettit, & Cousy...

Au contraire...This is a man's game, son.

Just off the top of my head, David Thompson or George Gervin were both viable candidates the year Walton won the MVP award (not to mention Kareem Abdul Jabaar).

Choosing Walton pretty much invalidated the award (oh no, she didn't!).

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Just off the top of my head, David Thompson or George Gervin were both viable candidates the year Walton won the MVP award (not to mention Kareem Abdul Jabaar).

Uh, its not like they were affraid to pick Jabaar. As much as I hate him as an anylist I can't say he wasn't an MVP caliber player. Though, Waltons stats were much better the year before he won MVP so one could make the argument he should have won both years, but stats don't really paint a full picture so whats the point of this argument again?

Uh, its not like they were affraid to pick Jabaar. As much as I hate him as an anylist I can't say he wasn't an MVP caliber player. Though, Waltons stats were much better the year before he won MVP so one could make the argument he should have won both years, but stats don't really paint a full picture so whats the point of this argument again?

The argument is about my inflammatory statement that "an argument could be made that a black player should be the MVP every year--some of those Larry Bird years excepted."

Oh, and apparently I'm a racist.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Uh, its not like they were affraid to pick Jabaar. As much as I hate him as an anylist I can't say he wasn't an MVP caliber player. Though, Waltons stats were much better the year before he won MVP so one could make the argument he should have won both years, but stats don't really paint a full picture so whats the point [/b]of this argument again?

The argument is about my inflammatory statement that "an argument could be made that a black player should be the MVP every year--some of those Larry Bird years excepted."

Uh, its not like they were affraid to pick Jabaar. As much as I hate him as an anylist I can't say he wasn't an MVP caliber player. Though, Waltons stats were much better the year before he won MVP so one could make the argument he should have won both years, but stats don't really paint a full picture so whats the point [/b]of this argument again?

There isn't one...Dudes' sarcasm meters are out of sync today, I guess.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

just curious, who would you have voted for?

fuck that, Kobe got his scoring title over those other two wannabes. i'm happy for him.