most worth it hundred dollar record--???

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Faux,

What you're hitting upon is one of the inconsistencies here...record stores will use eBay as a price guide to price records up EASILY...but they won't be as convinced about an LP's declining price. This, of course, sucks sacks of shit.

And this brings us back to the problem with ebay.

Yeah, I had it out with a store owner about two years ago who couldn't seem to process the fact that prices that reflect what people are willing to pay in a global marketplace really don't apply in Norcross Georgia where he'd be lucky to move the record at all. It's like the mirror image of the cheapskates Jonny was complaining about: if you're so sure that you can get $30 for it on eBay, then go on and do that and don't even bother putting it on the floor at that price.

If Record X sells for $150 in january b/c of two loonies...then promptly crashes back to $20 for the next year...the record seller using popsike.com is going to see the $150 and conveniently overlook the $20. he MAY be inclined to lower his expectations if his LP has sat on the wall for a year at $120 and no one cares. Then he may realize that the pricing may be uneralistic but for that year, the LP is effectively out of circulation since few would be willing to pay the asking price.

Big problem with popsike is that I think it only catalogs the closing prices above a certain mark, leading a bunch of litle dudes to think that they're working with major weight.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I found the Brothers Unlimited LP for cheap but I'd pay a lot more for it. All tracks are pretty hot.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    A single eBay auction certainly isn't a good indicator of price, but multiple auctions taken together are evidence of what people actually are paying for the record. What a shop asks for it doesn't establish anything unless they succeed in moving it at that price. Check popsike--six copies have sold in the past year and not one has hit a bill.

Some eBay prices for Rubaiyat

12/11/03 $113.50

12/11/03 $117.50

12/24/03 $109.50

4/26/04 $120 NO BIDS

6/30/04 $86

7/23/04 $88

11/22/04 $118.50

2/28/05 $79.99

5/5/05 $157.50

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Respect the avatar batches!

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    I'd also like to add Loose and Juicy---------which should be shy of a hunny--------straight up and down

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Not all of these are worth a bill, but I wouldn't be mad if I paid that...

-13th Floor Elevators-Easter Everywhere
    -Gwen McCrae-Melody of Life
    -Harlem River Drive
    -Alice Clark-Same
    -Os Mutantes-1st 3 lp's
    -Janko Nilovic-Rythmes Contemporains
    -Foghat-Same
    -Can-Tago Mago & Soundtracks (a bill for both...)

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    i think this is worth it if only for "feelin good". that track rocks my world

Yessss! That track is incredible ...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i think this is worth it if only for "feelin good". that track rocks my world

Yessss! That track is incredible ...

Do not sleep on "Beyond the Clouds." I don't know why people treat this LP as a one-tracker. It's not like the Blossom Dearie LP with "London in the Rain"

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Not to hijack, but has anyone heard the cover of "Feeling Good" on the new Quantic album? It's an interesting take on it.

Not to hijack, but has anyone heard the cover of "Feeling Good" on the new Quantic album? It's an interesting take on it.

No doubt - it's a great cover. QSO strikes again.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    2 observations:

- whilst theres no doubt good records are beign posted up here, they're the same ones which have been discussed for eon's

- most of the records being posted up are available on reish

Three australian joints that ain't re-issued and are worth a US bill (a mere $125 Australian these days)

Arena

Sue Barker

Jazz co-op

I'd post pic's if Sheep's site was still up, but its down at the mo - I'd posit that they'd be harder to track down than a Dorothy Ashby LP for example, however you like to track

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I would pay 100 for that Dorthy Ashby 'Rubaiyat' joint....

And you'd be at least $50 short...

I just got Rubaiyat on the bay yesterday for under 50 bucks in VG condition

Ha, that was you? I considered bidding, but all my other Cadet collectibles are mint, so I decided to hold out and save up. The "pops and clicks w/ surface noise" made me a bit nervous...

The seller lives around the corner from my folks. What dope records are doing in my backyard that aren't already owned by me boggles the mind.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Good for $100?:[/b]

yes or no

yes or no

yes or no

yes or no

yes or no

yes or no

yes or no

yes or no

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    These are the only two records I ever tried to pay $100 for:

The Osmium one went for $103, I think I bid like $92?

This one hurt, I was the high bidder for 6 days, winning at like $37 with 4 minutes left, and ended up missing out by $8:

I think the record I pay $100 for will end up being one I've never heard of, where some record store employee I know plays it for me like, "check it out, maaan..." and my face melts and my wallet leaps from my pocket, spraying plastic and paper money...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    You folks are waaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

too $ obsessed.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    chiming in on the hip hop side of things, i think most of the classic shit are pretty much readily available on other formats and on 12" (which, as far as major labels go, are dirt cheap) and, as far as lps go, there are a ton of shitty pressings that detract from their value, plus there's less of a market/fetish for authentic originals, a lot of djs are content with reissues. here's a couple exceptions, off the top of my head:

(although this would probably pull much more than that, i haven't seen one for sale in years...)

now that i think of it, most of those $100+ rap records are NOT worth it. most of my favorite rap records are $20-50 joints. a lot of the rightfully super valuable shit (let's say an organized konfusion) has deteriorated in favor of some obscure shit that pales in quality. really only like ultramagnetic and lord finesse have held their value over the past few years.

now that i think of it, i also have a lot of $100+ rap pieces that i'm not completely in love with and should probably sell off while the market is ripe...

as for funksoulbreaksraer i'd say my big picks have already been mentioned -

meters - s/t

s.o.u.l. - what is it?

24 carat black (probably over a bill now though, no?)

headless heroes

what color is love

OSMIUM

that jb female funk - lyn & marva have been pushing the three digit mark for a minute and are absolutely worth it

Absolutely NO. For $50, maybe. but $100? No way.

hell YES but you won't find this for $100. It hasn't sold for that in 10 years.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

yes for $50

Can't speak

Love this record. But $100 is WAY too much!

Solid NO on this one

Super-size YES. no Brainer here. $100 is highway robbery

Heard it and thought it blew. I'd still buy it for $50

yes or no

SOSOO YES on this one. Funny, but the producer of this record and I exchange emails in French every once in a while. I don't know why he ever wrote me.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    by the way if anyone wants to swap malik for soul generation, please holler.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    gal - hell yes
    everyday people - no
    soulgeneration - dunno
    ramp - hell no
    nathan davis - yes
    lemuria - nooooo
    these trails - YESSSSS
    lafeyette - yeah
    suite london - yeah
    the first roy ayers - yeaaaaaaaaaah
    les stance de sophies - yes
    huntington ashram monastery - yes
    mantlepiece - dude
    erasmo carlos - thats my 100 dollars gone the next time i see it

• (a lil over a bill , luckily I paid much less)

(not quite a bill but very good)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    DIGDUG, you're on soulseek?
    You need to let me know who you are mayne. Holler at me.

oh, and I just came up with the ultimate name for a band. i would definitely pay $100 for this if I saw it:

IRON STEEL

Yo, I have a trashed copy of this I got for $1.99!
    I didn't even know it was a c-note record, I just knew it was some Natural Four shit I had never seen, for $2.

When I looked it up on eBay I was like

It's super dope, but I can't say $100 dope. No way. Never does seem to turn up, though.

My copy is noisy as all hell, but no skips, all that $2 beatupraer goodness...

• I understand, it's definitely not for everyone but that's one of my all time favorite groups. another record that goes for a bill I like:

I understand, it's definitely not for everyone but that's one of my all time favorite groups.

Oh, hey, it's "for me" all the way...I just consider $100 some kind of holy threshold of money spent, I guess...it's a fantastic record, though.

What's the Lovelites like?

• Lovelites is kinda sweet girl group soul with lots of harmony...slightly funky at times.
    If you really dig groups like the Emotions/Charmells/The Fuzz etc this is on hit and incredibly hard to find.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

yes or no

this is one of the best funk records ive heard

• dayday 9,612 Posts

yes or no

this is one of the best funk records ive heard

I've actually never heard that one. [lil dude alert]

Soul Generation I sold for around $50-$60 last year. It's a decent record but not $100 worthy IMO.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I think this one is worth buying and you can get it for less than a hundred.

More than just a Nas sample.

This is at academy in brooklyn for exactly 100 dollars. I didn't get it. Get yours cause I'm too chicken.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The real question is- who here can piss the furthest?