most worth it hundred dollar record--???

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    In the same month I found out how much James Tatum, Life Force, and Crack Steppin' all sold for.

'Crack Steppin' - now this one I just don't get...

a Frenchman just sold a Crack Steppin using the same picture & description I did when I sold it to him!

that rekkid is seriously

no wait, I mean (just in case I turn up another)...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I would pay 100 for that Dorthy Ashby 'Rubaiyat' joint....

And you'd be at least $50 short...

Maybe a few years ago, but that record's now pretty steady at just shy of a bill.

Back when found mine, I saw it go for $325 on the Bay... wish I'd sold mine then instead of waiting until last year to trade.

Shops still put $150 on it.

Ebay is not a price guide.

A single eBay auction certainly isn't a good indicator of price, but multiple auctions taken together are evidence of what people actually are paying for the record. What a shop asks for it doesn't establish anything unless they succeed in moving it at that price. Check popsike--six copies have sold in the past year and not one has hit a bill.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

I feel this is the same as the Marc Moulin...an expensive "one tracker." But worth it.

• Options

Oh yeah, I forgot, I was just doing the math and I knew I had been on since the end of 2002................

LEave that for the U of Sask profs

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I think this one is worth buying and you can get it for less than a hundred.

More than just a Nas sample.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    All around $100 give or take...

Sir Joe Quarterman and Free Soul
    Kool and the Gang S/T
    Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

DJ Ferrari

I like:

24 Carat Black
    Harlem River Drive
    Ruby Andrews Black Ruby

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Ruby Andrews Black Ruby

I dare anyone to find me a copy ofr $100 or less

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot, I was just doing the math and I knew I had been on since the end of 2002................

Hahah---I guess you didn't get his hair? I'll keep an eye out for him, I do most of the hip hop shows on Campus-------they're sketched out after I did the Souls of Mis show last week because we sold out and had to turn away 200 kids-----can you say "on campus riot?" 200 angry drunk teenagers.... now they're trippin from the top of the hierarchy because we're doing a show there next week and the friggin Queen of England is going to be staying on campus at the time and they need ALL security for that.....yeash....

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    dunno what's "most worth" 100.00 street value. I know the Bad Medicine 45 runs bout that much, and it's pretty much choc full of goodies. Good grooves, unique feel, and even breaks for producers.......all in a part 1 part 2 package. Treats for the kiddies.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Maybe a few years ago, but that record's now pretty steady at just shy of a bill.

Back when found mine, I saw it go for $325 on the Bay... wish I'd sold mine then instead of waiting until last year to trade.

A single eBay auction certainly isn't a good indicator of price, but multiple auctions taken together are evidence of what people actually are paying for the record. What a shop asks for it doesn't establish anything unless they succeed in moving it at that price. Check popsike--six copies have sold in the past year and not one has hit a bill.

what the fuck dorothy's harp is going for more than rubaiyat, glad i found a copy of that in good shape for 10 bucks and to think i almost passed

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Ruby Andrews Black Ruby

I dare anyone to find me a copy ofr $100 or less
    you missed out bud
    http://breakz4dayz.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=18686&cat=0&page=1

what the fuck dorothy's harp is going for more than rubaiyat, glad i found a copy of that in good shape for 10 bucks and to think i almost passed

yes, but Dorothy's Harp is a good listen all the way through----I still need Rubaiyat though

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

No, ebay is an entirely different market than a record shop, where you can inspect the goods prior to purchase.

I've seen Rubaiyat move twice in the last year for over $150.

There are tons of records that are either inflated or deflated on ebay. It's a ridiculous system for basing prices, unless you don't know much about records beyond what people have bought online in the past year.

There are tons of people that don't use ebay at all; it's just another place to buy records. Just because, say, A-1 puts something on a record (and it moves) doesn't make it worth that. Conversely, just because people on ebay are only paying $90 for that record doesn't mean it's worth that. For instance, Dorothy's Harp, her most common Cadet title, was regularly peaking over a bill for a while whereas the year previous it was steady at $50.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i think this is worth it if only for "feelin good". that track rocks my world

matter of fact, although all of them dont get a bill+, all of cunimondos lp's are worth your money. great shit

Hahah---I guess you didn't get his hair? I'll keep an eye out for him, I do most of the hip hop shows on Campus-------they're sketched out after I did the Souls of Mis show last week because we sold out and had to turn away 200 kids-----can you say "on campus riot?" 200 angry drunk teenagers.... now they're trippin from the top of the hierarchy because we're doing a show there next week and the friggin Queen of England is going to be staying on campus at the time and they need ALL security for that.....yeash....

Is he tall like you too?

yes, but Dorothy's Harp is a good listen all the way through----I still need Rubaiyat though

are you saying rubaiyat is not a good listen all the way through, i say it is, its very nice to get my nag champa chakra vibe on

are you saying rubaiyat is not a good listen all the way through, i say it is, its very nice to get my nag champa chakra vibe on

Haha, that's what I hear--that's my shit right thur!!!! I don't have it, so I can't say.....

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I don't like Rubaiyat much at all - but that's not why it's more expensive.

Another example is JoAnn Garrett, whic has gone from $40-$100 in six months.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like:

24 Carat Black
    Harlem River Drive
    Ruby Andrews Black Ruby

Agreed all around though "Black Ruby" is more like $150 these days.

I also second some of the Dorothy Ashby LPs, and the Heath Bros. on Strata for $100.

Personally, some of my $100 pieces would include:

Mike James Kirkland: Hang On In There (his other LP goes for about 50% more but I don't think it's as good)
    Meters: S/T on Josie (though this has probably fallen a bit in price)
    Ray Barretto: Acid on original gold label Fania
    Black Sugar: S/T
    De La Soul: Say No Go test pressing w/ "The Baby Huey Skit" (I paid $75 but if I had to do it over again at $100, I'd do it)
    Honeydrippers: Impeach the President 45

...this is hard to call b/c there's a lot of LPs I'd pay $100 for but that doesn't mean they're $100 at market rate, you know? Like, I paid $100 for "Mirage" by Romano Mussolini but even at that time, I knew I was getting a relative bargain for it. So yeah, I'd pay Franklins all day for records like those but given how much prices can change, it's hard to think of a list of LPs that consistently sell for around $100.

Haha, that's what I hear--that's my shit right thur!!!! I don't have it, so I can't say.....

than whats the hot track on it according to your sources? moving finger?

Meters: S/T on Josie (though this has probably fallen a bit in price)

I was definately considering mentioning this when I started this thread----------I know you mentioned you liked them best to least from 1st to 3rd, but I've always really like Struttin in terms of breaks, or just as a record to play out...

• Options
    HE's built like footbal player (played linebacker at UofT) - 5'10" 235ish. Look at that head! I'm glad I didn't inherit that family trait.

K.

No, ebay is an entirely different market than a record shop, where you can inspect the goods prior to purchase.

I've seen Rubaiyat move twice in the last year for over $150.

There are tons of records that are either inflated or deflated on ebay. It's a ridiculous system for basing prices, unless you don't know much about records beyond what people have bought online in the past year.

There are tons of people that don't use ebay at all; it's just another place to buy records. Just because, say, A-1 puts something on a record (and it moves) doesn't make it worth that. Conversely, just because people on ebay are only paying $90 for that record doesn't mean it's worth that. For instance, Dorothy's Harp, her most common Cadet title, was regularly peaking over a bill for a while whereas the year previous it was steady at $50.

Look, your argument mostly sounds like a justification for shopping at bricks and mortar stores rather than online, and I am not at all hostile to that approach; I frequently pay in excess of the going eBay rate for a record when I can inspect it personally.

But none of this changes the fact that that record can regularly be gotten for less than a bill.

Does it only sound $100 good when on gold label?

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts

I just got Rubaiyat on the bay yesterday for under 50 bucks in VG condition

Does it only sound $100 good when on gold label?

You lost me.

• one of the best kiwi local lp's goes for around a hundred. I had to take the photo outside, coz, y'know...its called dr tree and all.

than whats the hot track on it according to your sources? moving finger?

Take a deep breath now................I didn't ask, I vaguely remember being told that it wasn't as funky all the way through, but that is by no means a necessity for me--------I mean I've been listening to a record with only sounds from Tibetan bells lately

Of the three Ashby LPs, I always like "Dorothy's Harp" more than either the "Rubiyat" or "Afro-harping" simply b/c I felt like "Harp" had the best songs, overall. But it's all a matter of taste. "Rubiyat" usually sells for the most b/c it's more rare but not because it's mo better.