What's Your Real Headz Playlist-Heavy Rotation?

Comments

• it's too bad this is gone.

I didn't really contribute, expect for a couple posts.

I hope people were able to appriciate the music

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    if RH can live on as Record Day, then so be it.

• If anything realheadz made me feel more like a little dude. so much great music ive been listening to everyday that i wouldve probably otherwise never heard. not to say that soulstrut wasnt great for dropping knowledge before real heads, RH just had alot less filler.

• I think the majority of the folks who use RealHeadz and who will mourn its absence are folks who have put some serious work into the collecting game and enjoyed the opportunity to add some new titles to the list, to cross some off, or simply to attatch a sound to a record they're heard discussed forever but have a minute chance of actually obtaining.

I mean honestly, hearing a record through RH isn't much different than knowing someone who has it. I might be able to listen to it when I want, but it doesn't make me want my _own_ copy much less.

Then there are those records that when I finally hear on someone else's table, I realize I don't really need to be chasing so hard. Either way.

• P.S. If i liked "Arthur Verocai" i would also like "blank". ---Plaese to PM the blank. thanks

-toast

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I was about to upload like infinity of Os Mutantes, and Tom Ze. 8 more albums of Sun Ra. 7 albums worth of King Tubby. Bill Evans complete riverside recordings.

OVERLOAD.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I was about to upload like infinity of Os Mutantes, and Tom Ze. 8 more albums of Sun Ra. 5 albums worth of King Tubby.

OVERLOAD.

Rey, thanks for the albums that you did get to post up. i can only think of a couple off the top - eddie fisher & hells belles - but there would be some day's i'd check the forum out, see 10 new posts all from you, and just think to myself, "damn, rey's done it again. he's done it again folks, rey has done it done it again and again." because you did it big a lot. (noayo).
    your manic levels of sharing should really set a great example...

the one setback about DLing such massive quantities of music is that it tends to lessen the appreciation & subjective quality of the music you're so easily obtaining. and for that, i am thankful that the forum shut down when it did. its time was up. we should all have enough real heads albums that we need to explore, seek out, cop a reissue of, or discard to last us well into the next record day.

peas,
    mandrew

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was about to upload like infinity of Os Mutantes, and Tom Ze. 8 more albums of Sun Ra. 7 albums worth of King Tubby. Bill Evans complete riverside recordings.

OVERLOAD.

• The thing is...RH never really evolved into a discussion space. It was really just a place to download. Part of the issue that hemmed people in is that it would seem hella wack for people to download, say, "East of Underground" and then be like, "this is wack. Overrated!" And in a sense, it would have been wack to diss. But the fact that people couldn't (or at least didn't) say much more than, "thanks, dope!" limited it as a space for actually convo.

Actually O: I think it might have appreared like that for whatever reason (I presume to not let related records get blown out) but I can tell you that I have personally PMed a lot of people to talk records of some other shit because of records that they have posted/their tastes/ect, and I am sure that there have been plenty of non-spot-blowing convos that we led from said records upped via PM....

Ie: Gainsboug rare soundtrack a somewhat related "yo this record in peticular is on my shit, and this other JC Vannier 45 I got is crazy...you should check for it" type convo...

Anyways, like I said, no biggie for me, but as someone who has been collecting records for a minute, with a little bit of knowlege in the genres of music that I like/collect, it is nice to occasionally be hipped by someone into the same music and deep crates... which I think was the whole point to begin with.

Oh yeah... besides that, no MP3 gonna replace any record for me.... it is more like a mehadone shot for junkies that like new goods till they can get the 12 x 12 booster shot, complete with tangible loves.

The dood is drunk tonight....

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

OVERLOAD.

DUDE, are you ready for 8 Hank Mobley albums and 6 Wayne Shorter albums all at once?

• I was about to upload like infinity of Os Mutantes, and Tom Ze. 8 more albums of Sun Ra. 7 albums worth of King Tubby. Bill Evans complete riverside recordings.

OVERLOAD.

DUDE, are you ready for 8 Hank Mobley albums and 6 Wayne Shorter albums all at once?
    vinyl or cd rips? mono or stereo?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i dug all these a lot and play them on my md:

indo-british jazz ensemble

harmonia

charles cha-cha shaw

d.r. hooker

telegraph avenue

heaven & earth

peloquin sauvageau

el alamo

thanks for that. you can't beat yousendit crackspeed download rates for a quick music fix before dinner or during a snack. made the kraft dinner experience that much more enjoyabke

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    it is more like a mehadone shot for junkies

"Sweet Lady H thread"

• RezRez 164 Posts

...thx for the reminder - need to pull that out right now and love it - why is it always raining in England?

Le Rez

• just buy it instead... thats what DANNO just did...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4820473227

yo AP (or anyone else)- is it just me or are the pics on your current auctions not working?

• Silvertone, A LOT of professional producers jack MP3s. MANY MANY MANY MANY.

That wasn't my primary reason for disliking the forum but there you have it.

Not sad to see it go. Too many records to get through.

Hey dood, Im not trying to offend here, I know a lot of people that produce professionally.... not bedroom cats, but actual producers that could claim such a title. These 'pros' you speak of are fucking idiots. Anyone that is going to use a heavily compressed sound source as the foundation for tracks is just just missing SO much in terms of signal quality.. so unless that is the point I just cant see that rationale... I can barely liten to MP3 as an acceptable audio source, nobody can tell me that running it through an SSL is going to make it fat again....

But you know, maybe I am just old school or something.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Silvertone, A LOT of professional producers jack MP3s. MANY MANY MANY MANY.

Not to mention it's not good for your business or any other dealer's business. The largest reason for me keeping this site afloat is the attention my eBay auctions get... Sales are down... More heads have access to MP3s and are hesitant about buying records..

I know I was all wrapped up in the Heaven sent and ecstasty hype and downloaded it and crossed it off the wants list. Honestly, though, I miss the the excitement of the blind purchase... and previewing the MP3s gave me cold feet about plunking down good money any album.

Hey dood, Im not trying to offend here, I know a lot of people that produce professionally.... not bedroom cats, but actual producers that could claim such a title. These 'pros' you speak of are fucking idiots. Anyone that is going to use a heavily compressed sound source as the foundation for tracks is just just missing SO much in terms of signal quality.. so unless that is the point I just cant see that rationale... I can barely liten to MP3 as an acceptable audio source, nobody can tell me that running it through an SSL is going to make it fat again....

But you know, maybe I am just old school or something.

Woah dude, hooray for your integrity. I wasn't making a statement on the quality of sound sources but on the possible uses of an upload forum.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was happy to share some music with the RH peeps

and i feel badly that i couldn't post some things that it think are amazing - raer or not.

if i could, i would: Jerry Jones on Studio One, that first Sonic Youth EP, StereoLab/Nurse with Wound 12", Archie Shepp - For Losers, Les McCann - live at Shelley's Manne Hole(1966) and Hampton Hawes - At the Piano.

one day...

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Not to mention it's not good for your business or any other dealer's business. The largest reason for me keeping this site afloat is the attention my eBay auctions get... Sales are down... More heads have access to MP3s and are hesitant about buying records..

Raj - are you willing to accept the possibility that sales are down for other reasons than the RH forum? Maybe this is a weak season for records on the Bay, and there is a weaker market for soul/funk/etc records? Would you entertain the idea that RH could in fact help sell records?

I'm w/ Silvertone here - producers jacking MP3s are weak sauce. For me, MP3s only help me find the records I'm after. I always take chances on records in the field, RH just expands my vocabulary. Why is keeping records a secret such a priority? I think people are less likely to drop 30-40 bucks on a record they've never heard, than one they've checked out.

• I'm w/ Silvertone here - producers jacking MP3s are weak sauce. For me, MP3s only help me find the records I'm after. I always take chances on records in the field, RH just expands my vocabulary.

Just because you think it's weaksauce doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I don't think it's Raj's duty to help you expand your record vocabulary, beyond the myriad resources already present on this website.

I don't see why you are so upset about this. It's not like the music no longer exists. Go get it off soulseek or whatever or buy the CD/reissue on dusty groove...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I like being exposed to new music that I have not heard.

I think that was the original point of this whole thing.

I don't buy into the reasoning or mindset that people should not be able to hear music because they haven't put in the "work"..........I guess the secrecy factor never stuck with me.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

I'm w/ Silvertone here - producers jacking MP3s are weak sauce. For me, MP3s only help me find the records I'm after. I always take chances on records in the field, RH just expands my vocabulary.

Just because you think it's weaksauce doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I don't think it's Raj's duty to help you expand your record vocabulary, beyond the myriad resources already present on this website.

I don't see why you are so upset about this. It's not like the music no longer exists. Go get it off soulseek or whatever or buy the CD/reissue on dusty groove...

I'm not upset Paycheck - just putting my opinion out there.

I know it's not Raj's duty to help expand my record knowledge--but I think the idea to share music here developed organically out of a curiosity to hear records that are hard to find. I hope my few contributions to RH helped some folks listen to some music they were after. I considered it an "expanded ISH".

I think that the general attitude of communal music apprecitation in RH, and soulseek, etc., could actually lead to more out-of-print music being reissued, purchased, and enjoyed. This is a good thing, IMO - appreciating an old format - sharing the music (ie, not hording it for one's self).

in any case, gotta go dig some records.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    seriously, I shelled out more than usual (for me, anyway) on a couple things recently because I was able to hear them in whole via the forum.

I can't imagine liking something that much & being happy with MP3s. I'll at least go buy a CD of something I really enjoy.

• REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL[/b]

sabor a mi. yes im a eaty gourmet!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I did a little mash-up in honor of Real Headz:

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Let's have another record day! Even with all the differences on this issue I think most people will agree that record day was a great, controlled format to share and gain music.

DJ Ferrari

• Let's have another record day! Even with all the differences on this issue I think most people will agree that record day was a great, controlled format to share and gain music.

DJ Ferrari

Co-sign. '99

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    seriously, I shelled out more than usual (for me, anyway) on a couple things recently because I was able to hear them in whole via the forum.

I can't imagine liking something that much & being happy with MP3s. I'll at least go buy a CD of something I really enjoy.