Producers that Never Blew Up?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Though I always thought "Who You Wit" was a straight bite of Lil Kim's sound on "Hardcore". I mean, isn't it a bit strange that Kim and Jay appear on a song together that uses a John Payne loop then "Who You Wit" comes out...with a John Payne loop? Just askin'.

• -

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Yeah, I guess Ski's output wasn't all that hot after all. I thought "Politics As Usual" and "Feelin It" were pretty strong but the other hot tracks off this album were really Kent and Primo.

Yeah those two songs and 22 Twos are some of my favorites, but my prefered songs make no argument towards him being prolific.

• HAHA speaking of producers that never really blew up, except for Primo and Irv Gotti:
    Can't Knock the Hustle: Knowbody
    Politics as Usual: Ski
    Brooklyn's Finest: Clark Kent
    Can I Live: DJ Irv
    Ain't No Nigga: Big Jaz
    Friend or Foe: Primo
    Coming of Age: Clark Kent
    Cashmere Thoguhts: Clark Kent
    Dead Presidents II: SkiFeelin It: Ski
    D'Evils: Primo
    22 Two's: Ski
    Bring It On: Premier
    Regrets: Peter Panic

I always think about how the Hip-Hop "rules" aren't the same anymore but when Irv bit his own beat for that Ashanti joint, that took the cake.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Can't Knock the Hustle: KnowbodyClassic[/b]

Politics as Usual: SkiClassic[/b]

Brooklyn's Finest: Clark KentCLASSIC[/b]

Can I Live: DJ Irv aka Irv Gotti, who then used this record for Ashanti CLASSIC[/b]

Ain't No Nigga: Big Jaz Classic[/b]

Friend or Foe: PrimoClassic[/b]

Coming of Age: Clark KentClassic[/b]

Cashmere Thoguhts: Clark KentClassic[/b]

Dead Presidents II: Ski Classic... but the 12" version is better[/b]

Feelin It: Ski Classic... i guess... one of the weaker tracks on the LP IMO[/b]

D'Evils: PrimoCLASSIC[/b]

22 Two's: Ski NOT classic, except for Jay's rhymes[/b]

Bring It On: Premier Classic[/b]

Regrets: Peter Panic Classic[/b]

FEELIN IT got a alot of radio/video/club play when it dropped. It probably hasnt aged well but It blanketed the city for a minute.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Can I Live: DJ Irv aka Irv Gotti, who then used this record for Ashanti CLASSIC[/b]

Yeah, I should clarify my previous statement. Ski was not the one who made me like 22 Twos

• Can't Knock the Hustle: KnowbodyClassic[/b]

FEELIN IT got a alot of radio/video/club play when it dropped though.

NO staying power though... hence... not classic (at least, compared to the rest)

Did not age well.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

NO staying power though... hence... not classic (at least, compared to the rest)

Did not age well.

You guys really liked this mediocre album?
    I bought the Heltah Skeltah album instead of it.

• I always dug "Feelin' It" and thought "Cashmere Thoughts" was the weak link on that album, but that's knitpickin'
    And you can't knock 22 Two's too much cause it was more like a skit, so you gotta let it slide a bit.

• Can't Knock the Hustle: KnowbodyClassic[/b]

Did not age well.

Oof, talk about a mediocre album.... I bought it too though peace, 'Check . . .

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Though I always thought "Who You Wit" was a straight bite of Lil Kim's sound on "Hardcore". I mean, isn't it a bit strange that Kim and Jay appear on a song together that uses a John Payne loop then "Who You Wit" comes out...with a John Payne loop? Just askin'.

Is it a good song or not?

To me the answer is yes.

I don't even know who John Payne is and I doubt many of the people that got hype when they heard "Who You Wit" were worried about it either.

Did not age well.

You're joking, right? Helta Skelta was one of the first rap albums that I turned around and traded in within a week of buying it.

• ANT from rhymesayers.

ANT from rhymesayers.

Cantescapebreaks, you are not real.

Oof, talk about a mediocre album.... I bought it too though peace, 'Check . . .

Yeah the music was inconsistent i admit but the rhymes were hot though.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ogee-(street smartz-metal thangs) that beat still sounds amazing! also some nice beats on oc-jewelz. is this guy still making beats?

Great call, mane!!!! As far as Rob Lewis goes, I don't know of any other major work from him other than the ones posted. What about Rockwilder, E-Swift, and K-Def?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Shit, Nocturnal and Reasonable Doubt both had Brooklyn on lock when they dropped. How can you say either is wack??

• Both these cats need to blow up soon...

You kidding?

I got Janel's album, even though it's a good listen, I woudn't consider dude to be large in a million years. It's way too much of a dilla bite to boot.

and that "wale wiajdiasdjasd" is straight world beat-ass music,

• Shit, Nocturnal and Reasonable Doubt both had Brooklyn on lock when they dropped. How can you say either is wack??

WE DON'T GIVE A WIGGY WIGGY WHAAAAAAAAT

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What about Rockwilder and K-Def?

Jersey's in the building!!

I think Rockwilder took some time off to get some things straight in his personal life (family affairs, etc,.). He did an interview in Scratch magazine (Just Blaze cover), so that would be a good read, Stacks.

As far as K-Def...
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=498632&Forum=crates&Words=K-def&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=498632&Search=true#Post498632

"She said her ass cheeks were raw and she use ah no condom"

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

What about Rockwilder, E-Swift, and K-Fed?[/b]

dude's got tha flava.

Shit, Nocturnal and Reasonable Doubt both had Brooklyn on lock when they dropped. How can you say either is wack??

If I was from Brooklyn this might be meaningful to me.

However, it's hard for me to believe that a corner of the world exists that that Heltah Skeltah terd ever, for even the briefest of moments, had on lock.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    K-Def is a good call.

-e

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

Speaking of "Swifts", whatever happened to J-Swift? His work on "Bizarre Ride...." was legendary, though he should have remember to clear his samples. I thought he'd get mad work after his great production on that LP. Dude was nice wid it ("For Better or For Worse" all day, aaaayday!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• However, it's hard for me to believe that a corner of the world exists that that Heltah Skeltah terd ever, for even the briefest of moments, had on lock.

I'm not used to seeing you this disconnected from the streets. You need to get down to BK more often...

He's right though. That record was big in Brooklyn. Boot Camp was repping really hard for Bedstuy/Crown Heights/Brownsville for a minute there.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Both these cats need to blow up soon...

You kidding?

I got Janel's album, even though it's a good listen, I woudn't consider dude to be large in a million years. It's way too much of a dilla bite to boot.

and that "wale wiajdiasdjasd" is straight world beat-ass music,

Jarel's is doing his own thing in my opinion.

It could be easy to say world music (he's from nigeria dont make fun of his name though) but its totally inacurate

A song on his album features the afro-mentioned Dilla and that track with MF in excellent. Check out his science-fiction instrumentals to see his production skills.

Dont want them to blow (be large) just get more shine.(the way madlib gets it) Up and coming cats in my opinion

• JP, I know we don't see eye to eye on everything, but please tell me that you no longer sip Bustelo. This is not a look befitting a boss.

You know you can order Peet's online now, right?

If I was from Brooklyn this might be meaningful to me.

However, it's hard for me to believe that a corner of the world exists that that Heltah Skeltah terd ever, for even the briefest of moments, had on lock.

New York, mid 90's, all of Boot Camp's shit was knockin' right up until OGC and For Da People came out.

• Yo,

Speaking of "Swifts", whatever happened to J-Swift? His work on "Bizarre Ride...." was legendary, though he should have remember to clear his samples. I thought he'd get mad work after his great production on that LP. Dude was nice wid it ("For Better or For Worse" all day, aaaayday!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Woah, you missed the preview for the "JSWIFT IS A HOMELESS CRACKHEAD" documentary. Shit is sad